Breastfeeding Discrimination

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hurricanekathy. Show hurricanekathy's posts

Re: Breastfeeding Discrimination

Oh please . . . all of you really need to get over it. Most people do not want to go out to dine where moms are nursing their little darlings. And yes, I have kids. But while they are my precious treasures, I am realistic enough to know that everyone else does not share my fascination with them. Get a grip.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

^ what Medford said.  That's what I wish I had said first. 

DAMN YOU MEDFORD and your ability to put difficult thoughts into coherent posts!  The internet is no place for you and your kind. 

Cover yourself with a shawl and return to your house for 30 years.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Lotta first-time posters here today. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

I don't think everyone is fascinated with my kids, but that doesn't mean I want to let them starve because seeing them eat makes others uncomfortable.  A lot of people order food in restaurants that it makes me uncomfortable to watch them eat, but I don't ask them to move.  That would be rude.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

In Response to Re: Breastfeeding Discrimination:
    [QUOTE]Lotta first-time posters here today. 
    Posted by GC1016[/QUOTE]

Is this now linked on the homepage of BDC? Please tell me "no", otherwise we're in for troll-a-poolza today.

I still DO NOT understand the discomfort with BFing. Seriously. Can someone please explain it to me? The baby is quiet, mom's breast is covered by baby, and aren't you too engrossed in your companion's conversation (or surfing on your smart phone) during dinner to be worried about what's happening 5 tables away from you?

And yes, medford is TOTALLY correct on this one!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cnanavati. Show cnanavati's posts

This is why you carry a copy of the law with you at ALL TIMES and need to be willing to make an issue. 

I would go back, speak to the same manager, show them the law and insist on a refund for the cost of the meal or let them know you'll push the issue and they can pay the state of MA 500$

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nubius78. Show Nubius78's posts

I think it was absolutely ridiculous that you were treated this way and for the individuals who posted that you should hire a baby sitter and or go somewhere else is absurd. They have the right to their opinion but the people who complained about it could have easily gone to another restaurant if they didn't like that your wife was breast feeding. I'm a single man with sisters who have children and this bothers me to no end.  I have no issue with parents going out with their children. They have every right to do so and should not have to feel discriminated against. I could probably guess that the people who complained were not parents or are probably not the best parents.

I've never been to Amrheins but have friends that have. I can assure you I will never go there after hearing this story. Unbelievable!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AMM-22. Show AMM-22's posts

[QUOTE]The reality is that most of us don't particularly enjoy being around crying babies or nursing mothers when we're trying to have a nice meal. Either make sure the baby has eaten beforehand, or hire a sitter.
    Posted by bos1987[/QUOTE]

That's interesting.  Because I don't particularlly like eating around ignorant, small-minded people with no sense of perspective.  Please consider eating at home from now on.  Thanks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NJA45. Show NJA45's posts

Short goodle search found this illegal:

On Friday, Gov. Deval Patrick signed into law An Act to Promote Breastfeeding, a bill that protects a mother’s right to nurse her baby in public, and one that could impose a $500 fine to anyone who harasses a nursing mother

Read more: http://www.patriotledger.com/archive/x497786644/State-becomes-third-to-last-to-adopt-breastfeeding-law#ixzz1YQK4ybgb

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nubius78. Show Nubius78's posts

I honestly can't believe some of the negative responses. Obviously some of these individuals were not breast fed and probably have mommy issues. Get over yourselves and stop being so pompous! I hope this doesn't happen when I'm at a restaurant but if it does I will have no issue standing up for the parents. Then I would call out the ignorant patrons who were complaining and let them know they have a choice of going somewhere else.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I have never been so flattered and delighted!  *blush*

I'm glad I read through this thread because I almost got so enraged after the first couple of posts that I started writing an angry message.

The question is not about what other people prefer to do themselves, it was about how the restaurant treated the poster.
    And the answer is that they treated them SHODDILY.  I have been to Amrhein's (both before and after the redo) and it is plenty kid friendly and NOT fancy.  I can't believe they acted like this.  I WILL be writing to them, I will NOT be going there again, and I WILL state my agreement that a happy nursing baby whose needs are being met is a lovely dining companion, much better than a screaming, hungry baby.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrsMas820. Show MrsMas820's posts

I would absolutely go back, law in hand, and have them refund your money. Anyone who is interested could also email Amrheins their thoughts at amrheins@comcast.net.

Don't be intimidated by ignorant people who tell you to cover up. If they don't like what they're seeing they can move along themselves. The law is the law.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheWorstAdvice. Show TheWorstAdvice's posts

Next time don't bring your stroller in, that way you can walk out quickly with all of your belongings after something like this happens. If the restaurant wants your wife to move because she is discreetly breastfeeding, then fine, move to a different establishment and bring your business elsewhere.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I think you should contact them, send a copy of your bill and ask for a full refund. Mention that if it is not forthcoming, you will be contacting the BBB and the attorney general's office.
    I hope your future restaurant visits are more friendly.  Most people love tiny babies - and they are much easier to take out than older babies.  When they are two, like my twins, you will realize that eating at home is easier and less stressful than trying to keep them from spilling milk everywhere and grabbing for your wine glass.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tricia-. Show Tricia-'s posts

[QUOTE]I totally agree with Princess Cal. People who pay for babysitters care about letting other diners at "expensive" restaurants enjoy their fifty dollar entrees. Others, like the idiot that started the discussion, think the whole world likes listening to crying children. Get a babysitter you cheapskate. There are McDonalds and BK if you insist on dining out with babies and small children, who are unpredictable when it comes to whether they'll quitely sit so that all patrons can enjoy the ambience.
    Posted by OrrEspoCash[/QUOTE]
    I agree with Princess Cal and OrrEspoCash!  CHEAPSKATE!!! (Amrheins isn't expensive.)  Hire a babysitter and stop acting entitled in a divey "restaurant" like Amrheins.  If you don't want attitude don't tote a child and a huge stroller to a Southie Bar.  Are you sure you are mature and financially well off enough for this parenting gig or are you going to complain every time the rest of the world doesn't accomidate your new lifestyle?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Katie1999. Show Katie1999's posts

I am just weaning my 13 month old, and I can actually say I never got a hard time about nursing anywhere, but I was also prepared. I always kept a copy of the law in my diaper bag. I'm sorry you experienced that, but please know that there are a lot of very baby and family friendly places to go. I would surely call the restaurant and inform the manager of the law.

While I did always cover and try to be discreet (same as any other nursing Mom I know--we're not exhibitionists), I never went and hid in the bathroom, either. I still can't believe that people suggest feeding a baby in the bathroom--would you eat a sandwich sitting on the toilet?

And to the poster who nursed all her babies before she left the house--good for you? At 6 weeks they still eat every 2 hours. Just to remind you since you had your kids eons ago.

While I get that parents shouldn't running around acting entitled to the world, trying to go out for a meal with a infant at an inexepensive restaurant is NOT a big deal. If the parents are tending to the baby and not blocking an egress with a giant stroller, there's nothing to be peeved about.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kapler19. Show kapler19's posts

Bravo to Armheins!

When you become a parent there are certain sacrifices you need to accept. One is that there are some environments that is not wise to bring a 6 week old to... a restaurant like Armheins is one of them.

I once attended a rehearsal dinner at an upscale restaurant and the woman sitting next to me decided to start nursing her newborn (judging by the age of the child they appeared to have come directly from the maternity ward)...making the rest of the table extremely uncomfortable, she lacked the common courtesy to move a more discreet, private location

To those on this board that are screaming discrimination...this is not discrimination! it is two people in dire need of some common sense who need to learn that being the parents of newborn means you can't always do everything you want.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

Ok, I would certainly have had a problem with this - excuse me, you are a customer too, and I think your tending to your baby, or your wife doing so, was just fine.  Someone complained, I just don't get that.  I'm mad after reading your post.  With my first, I tried to feed her at home and only in nursing rooms while out, but with a second, you don't always have that opportunity, and let me tell you, it is much easier to breast feed than warm a bottle quickly.  I nurse where ever we are when we need to, so I hope your wife (and you) don't get fooled into believing this is the law, cause in Massachusetts you are protected. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

[QUOTE]Bravo to Armheins! When you become a parent there are certain sacrifices you need to accept. One is that there are some environments that is not wise to bring a 6 week old to... a restaurant like Armheins is one of them. I once attended a rehearsal dinner at an upscale restaurant and the woman sitting next to me decided to start nursing her newborn (judging by the age of the child they appeared to have come directly from the maternity ward)...making the rest of the table extremely uncomfortable, she lacked the common courtesy to move a more discreet, private location To those on this board that are screaming discrimination...this is not discrimination! it is two people in dire need of some common sense who need to learn that being the parents of newborn means you can't always do everything you want.
    Posted by kapler19[/QUOTE]

Maybe not discrimination, but what the restaurant did is ILLEGAL.  So it seems like the party that needed more sense in this scenario was the restaurant, not the parents. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Yeah, OP, stop acting so ENTITLED to ... um, something that's protected by the laws of the Commonwealth. 

I wish some of our new on-line friends felt entitled to spell check. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tricia-. Show Tricia-'s posts

[QUOTE]Bravo to Armheins! When you become a parent there are certain sacrifices you need to accept. One is that there are some environments that is not wise to bring a 6 week old to... a restaurant like Armheins is one of them. I once attended a rehearsal dinner at an upscale restaurant and the woman sitting next to me decided to start nursing her newborn (judging by the age of the child they appeared to have come directly from the maternity ward)...making the rest of the table extremely uncomfortable, she lacked the common courtesy to move a more discreet, private location To those on this board that are screaming discrimination...this is not discrimination! it is two people in dire need of some common sense who need to learn that being the parents of newborn means you can't always do everything you want.
    Posted by kapler19[/QUOTE]
    I agree!  When you have a child you sacrifice parts of your lives....having a newborn means you can't do everything you want!  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenDragonCult. Show GreenDragonCult's posts

In Response to Breastfeeding Discrimination:

Of course your wife has the right to feed your baby anywhere, anytime. People need to get over this...it amazes me when we have an endless stream of horrific, gruesome violence, irresponsible sex, and advertisements for the most embarrassing and intimate of personal care products on TV all day long, but a woman can't feed her infant without censure!?! It is the most beautiful of contented moments that hurts no one, and which baby needs to thrive and feel secure.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Oh please, to the person who felt uncomfortable sitting at the same table as someone who nursed, grow up.  A) This is not the same thing. It's not like the OP was sitting at the same table as the person who complained!  They were sitting discreetly in a high backed booth, presumably far enough away from any other patrons that the other patrons would have to be staring for a long period of time to even notice something was going on. B) Your statement: "being the parents of newborn means you can't always do everything you want" is simply ridiculous.  Yes, of course, parents of newborns have to make huge life sacrifices, but going out to eat is not one of them.  A newborn pretty much sleeps and eats and basically does nothing to disturb others.  By your logic, should children be banned to fast food establishments until they are school aged? High School aged? College aged? This restaurant is by no means a really upscale place and i'm sure that there are plenty of adults eating there who are loud and disrespectful and smell and who make going out to eat unpleasant for other patrons.  It's all part of going out in public.  

If the newborn is screeching loudly and making a ton of noise, that would be a different story, and of course the restaurant would have every right to request that the mother of the child relocate to a different spot.  But feeding a newborn is a quiet activity, the restaurant is fairly dark and the booths are very private.  The restaurant actually approached the OP and wife and requested that they move and lied about the law. Terrible customer service. Bottom line.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Wait, I can't do everything I want, whenever I want?  This freewheeling, hedonistic binge must end?  Oh, that applies to EVERYONE in a civilized society, not just parents?

Oh, OK.  I was worried there for a second. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Wow.. just wow.  OP, you were well within your LEGAL right to be at that restaurant and to nurse at that restaurant.  I usually don't get judgmental, but for all of you out there who believe that the OP and his wife should have hired a babysitter or not gone out to a "fancy" restaurant, shame on you.  Yes, that might be as bold as I get, but really, this is ridiculous.  

They have a kids menu.  What does that say about the restaurant in the first place.  Why do people feel the need to stare and make rude comments about something that is so fundamental to human existence?  
    I'm a nursing mom.  I nursed my first anywhere and everywhere and do the same with my second.  I'm discreet.  Most moms are.  The fact of the matter is that babies need to eat.   They tried a bottle at first, they were trying to be "courteous", but then they came to the conclusion that courtesy would be better suited by feeding the baby than to have the baby cry.  What more do you want people?  The baby had a right to be there and the baby is entitled to eat.  Read the law.  Whether you like it or not, that's the law and you need to deal with it.  End of story.  

Sections
Shortcuts