Brigham vs. Newton-Wellesley

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Re: Brigham vs. Newton-Wellesley

One thing I *would* advise is to educate yourself then go with your gut, whether it be re: hospital or care provider.  About halfway through my pregnancy I started to feel unhappy with my OB, but I didn't want to switch.  Well, I regret that decision now.  Who knows if my delivery would have been different with a different provider, but I wish I had gone with my gut and switched.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsBride. Show BsBride's posts

My experience at Brigham was similar to Amy-lyn's. I had a very fast labor, water broker at 6am, got to the hospital at 8:15am, got to my room at 8:55a, baby was already starting to crown, and he was born at 9:28am. Obviously there was no time for any epidural, I was never even hooked up to a monitor. A nurse did mention when I got on the bed that I wouldn't get any pain meds, and she just assumed I would have wanted them if there had been time (and I would have!) so, it did seem like the drug-free birth was something out of the ordinary for them, but all the nurses seemed kinda excited to be there for a drug-free super fast birth.
    Noone ever told me to go to the hospital when my water broke, and contractions didn't hurt as bad as I thought they should, so I didn't even leave for the hospital until 7:50. next time I'll know, water breaks = hospital!

ETA:  I was with Harvard Vanguard also, Quincy office. My mid-wife would have been very supportive of a drug free birth is that's what I wanted I think. She was from Zimbabwe and had the attitude of childbirth is a natural thing, try to do it without the epi if possible. I ended up delivering with my OB because he happened to be there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Oh I'm the first to admit I'm "angsty" :)  But the truth is, pumpsy (are you also beastsgirl??  seems you might be the same person?) is right - baby is in charge during delivery and no one else.  But I'd rather be second in line.  I just don't want to be pushed into a c-section because the attending OB wants to get home for dinner. 

DH really wants an OB vs. a Midwife because of the medical training and degree.  We are both first children and could fight this to the death, but the truth is, he's better at it than I am and I back down.  He fights until it exhausts me and I give up.  It's the nature of our relationship - haha.  (Don't attack me on this, I'm only half-serious and I'm also not completely married to the idea of the midwife vs. OB.) 

And yes, thank you all for sharing your experiences.  It's of course different for every woman and every baby, so it's nice to hear what you all have to offer. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sesvv. Show sesvv's posts

Just a thought.  Please take into consideration where you would rather be if, after you baby is delivered, there is a problem with you or the baby.  I am not suggesting one is better than the other, but look into the the NICUs at both facilities.  And any facility can deliver a trouble free baby!

For what it is worth, I am a man, so I never delivered a baby and maybe have no right making any suggestions.  We had both of our babies at MGH.  The first was to be natural (and the OB was very supportive), but the baby was breech so we had to have a C-section.  The second was medicated VBAC.  In order to minimize risk to the second (as a VBAC), they strongly suggested being alreaday medicaed incase we needed emergently go to the OR.  But fortunately, everyting went fine.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

LilSprout - I know stubborn firstborns, being one myself, but if you and DH are both on the same page about having a natural birth, I would really ask him to consider going with a midwife for the delivery. Statistically speaking, the odds are better with the midwives assisting. Also, I think you still have time to take a natural chilbirth or hypnobirthing class, which you would do with DH, and that might provide him with more reassurances that midwives are expertly trained in the business of birthing babies. But you can still have an unmedicated birth with an OB, but you might have to be really vocal about your wishes. In that case, it might make sense to have DH be your voice, since he seems like a good stubborn advocate. And when you're in labor, you might not want to have to put up a big fight.  Best wishes!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

Hi Lil Sprout, I second what amy-lynn said...  my intention is not to push you one way or the other, you should absolutely do what is best for you and your marrage, but What I would want for you is to have the birth you want ... it is your body. If you do choose to discuss with DH further one thing to remind him of is that it's not like you are saying you want a midwife to deliver the baby alone out in the woods somewhere, you'll be at a hospital with an OB available to be in the room at a moment's notice if that is needed. And if you do choose to to had the OB deliver, you'd rarely see the OB anyway. They don't stay in the room with you as you labor, they come in if there is a problem (same as if you choose a CNM) and to catch the baby.

Sesvv - both hospitals we are talking about have great NICUs. my sister had a natual VBAC with her second ... that "suggested medicated birth" for your second "incase there is an emergency" is the exact difference between going with an OB or a midwife.  Midwives see birth is a natural process (which it is), where OBs are trained to see it as a medical event that requires intervention (which it doesn't).

I don't judge anyone who prefers a medicated birth or c-section.  You should do what you want!  I just feel strongly that women can/should advocate for what they want and not be pushed in to something because it is the most convenient/fastest/easiest way for a doctor/hospital.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sesvv. Show sesvv's posts

Krystabel - As I said, any hospital can deliver a baby when things go smoothly.  You just need to decide you risk tolerance for if things don't go well.  Not questioning the NICUs anywhere.  But they should be part of the thought process if medical intervention is needed.  Just a side affect of being married to a pediatrician and having heard too many horror stories.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsw978. Show rsw978's posts

Highly highly recommend the midwives at NW.  I had a drug-free (excruciatingly painful) VBAC which I literally pushed for -pun intended.  Now I have a genius, zen daughter.