Car Seat Help - North Shore

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TTsand. Show TTsand's posts

Car Seat Help - North Shore

Hello,
    I am due in a few weeks and we are having an awful time trying to find a police or fire station who will perform a car seat check for us. We live in Salem and apparently, the Salem and Beverly departments do not offer the service. We tried to schedule an appointment with the Danvers and Lynn FD but they never got back in touch with us after I left several messages.

After we tried a few local places, we called some other towns closer to Boston and they will only make appointments for residents. 

My husband and I are upset by this...it seems like a lot of lip service is paid to having car seats installed correctly, yet no one wants to help. I realize that budgets are tight for most towns, but it's crazy that some departments would turn non-residents away, especially when we can't find anyone in our own area. 

Has anyone had any luck getting an appointment somewhere where they accept non-residents? Thank you!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Car Seat Help - North Shore

Hi TTsand,
    We had our infant seat installed by Wilmington PD, and we don't live there.  Not exactly close to you, but I thought I'd mention.  (He actually says it was Wakefield, but I swear it was Wilmington!)
    I believe Andover Fire Dept will also do it.  I stopped in for an open house, but I was too late, so they said I could call and find out when one of their trained firefighters would be available to install our convertible seat.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I hear you!! i had posted similarly when I was almost ready to deliver. will look for the message and try to bump it up.  I got a call back from hingham more than a month after DS was born. not helpful.

but the state troopers do it somewhere on 90, and you may want to call BOTH the police and fire stations in your town. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Marblehead Fire Department will probably do it.  You can call and make an appointment. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1stTimeMom90709. Show 1stTimeMom90709's posts

We ran into the same problem in our town and actually had ours inspected by the MGH police force.  We delivered there and before we left the hospital we asked one of the nurses about it and they told us they police officers there had someone who did it.  So when we were leaving we asked one of the valet people to call the officer for us and they checked it out.  You may want to check whatever hospital you are delivering at to see if they have someone who can check it.

Also, I think Babies R Us (at least the one in Framingham) offers free classes sometimes.  They might not be able to inspect it for you and give the ok for legal reasons but they can at least instruct you on the installation.

Hope that helps.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from grimalkin. Show grimalkin's posts

We had ours inspected by the Wakefield Police Dept. We didn't live in Wakefield, which wasn't a problem at all. The officer was great. We have an older car w/o LATCH and he got that seat in so that it didn't even budge a millimeter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

My mom and dad had their convertible car seat installed at the Marblehead Police Station (um, it might have been the fire station, but it was definitely in Marblehead). They made an appointment either one or two weeks out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

I actually just got an email from Magic Beans saying that they are now doing car seat installations.  Only catch is that you have to pay for it.  But, I imagine it would be easier to schedule with them compared to the police departments.  Here is the info:

http://mbeans.com/install

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TTsand. Show TTsand's posts

Thanks everyone!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

They do them by appointment at the Topsfield fire department.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladyboston. Show ladyboston's posts

Hi, I dont know if you live near a magic beans but i follow them on twitter and on facebook and they just posted the other day that they are going to offer car seat checks. i think its worth a call to see if there is any near you. good luck!