Car Seat Turning Question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

Car Seat Turning Question

The new car safety recommendations say to keep carseats backwards until two years old.

Our 18 month old is big for her age, but she doesn't seem too bothered by riding backwards (though she is a little scrunched up).

My husband wants to turn her around now, since we turned our older one around earlier based on the previous recommendations, and because she's big and strong for her age (90th percentile).

I say better safe than sorry, especially if it doesn't seem to bother her much.  Why not follow the recommendations, they're made for a reason.  I'm OK with being a little nuts in the name of safety.

Wondering what other folks are doing, anyone?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Re: Car Seat Turning Question

DS is 27 months old and we still have him rear facing. Our pedi said he recommends keeping him rear facing as long as possible, size permitting. We plan to keep him rear facing a long as we can, and same for our second (3 months now). 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

My 31 month old is still rear facing and we plan to keep her that way as long as possible, because it is the safest.  In fact, in Sweden the recomendation is to keep childen rear facing until 4 or 5 years of age!  I think we'll turn her at 3 years though.  I do have smallish kids in terms of weight, my 15 month old is still in his graco 22 bucket seat!  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Keep her rear facing, as long as she's not too tall for the car seat.

We kept DS rear facing until 18 mo, had planned on longer, but he got a taste of forward facing while we were traveling out of hte country and there was no going back.

DD (14 mo) is still rear facing and will be until she is 2. It's just safer. Heaven forbid we are in an accident the most likely injury would be a broken leg while rear facing, I'll take that over a neck/spinal injury forward facing. (this is based on most common accidents)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

I just had this debate with my SIL. The Highway Safety Department recommends that a child be left rear-facing until they reach the height or weight limit specified for your specific carseat. There should be at least an inch of room between the child's head and the top of the carseat. They say a lot of times kids legs will reach your car's seat first, but that it's okay for them to sit cross-legged or whatever. Most kids won't complain that it's uncomfortable, even though it looks like it to adults.

They also said, which I thought was interesting, that the bigger the child (percentile-wise, not age-wise), the more dangerous it is for them to ride forward-facing early. I guess a bigger child will have a heavier head that may pull forward more in a crash. It makes sense, just not something I ever would have thought about before.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

rear-facing as long as possible.  It's not the size of the kid, it's the development of their spinal column and change of the head/body ratio, something that happens at a certain rate, regardless of the kid's build.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTMum. Show CTMum's posts

We kept our older daughter (90%+ for height and weight) rear facing until she hit the upper weight limit for her carseat, which ended up being just before her 3rd birthday and expect to do the same for our younger daughter.

My husband was similarly suspect about the virtues of rear facing until I showed him a video of a (dummy) forward facing child in a 25 mph car accident.  He's been a staunch rear-facing advocate ever since.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

DD (21 months) is still rear-facing BUT I just realized she is passed the height limit for rear-facing in this particular seat, so we need to turn it around ASAP.  It has a detachable headrest for when they get taller, but if I recall correctly from the manual, we have to turn it around before attaching that.  Otherwise I had planned to keep her rear-facing until at least 2 yrs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

My post is not anything new, but just to add to the agreement.  If she's not bothered and she's within the limits in the seat, sounds like a great arrangement!

My DD is still rear facing at 2 years 4 months and has plenty of room to grow still on her seat.  We *may* turn her around soon to try to combat carsickness on a long upcoming drive on back roads, but we may also just look into Dramamine or sea bands and try to go with the flow (so to speak).  :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I don't have kids, but those recommendations are based on scientific studies with crash test dummies that give very accurate information.  There's no way I'd second guess them and hope my child fared better in an accident than the crash test dummies that proved otherwise.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Med - I read that making sure kids have an unobstructed view out the back window helps with carsickness. This article from Parenting magazine has a few suggestions about motion sickness and rear-facing seats: http://www.parenting.com/article/rear-facing-car-seat-guidelines?page=0,2

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Thanks, Chiclet!  That whole article was very informative.  I'm going to check our car and carseat manuals and see if I can take off the rear headrest safely.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Car sickness is (oversimplified but basically) because your eyes tell you you are standing still but your inner ears feel you are moving--that bothers some people and not others.  So definitely if that's a problem and you must/wish to keep rear facing check out what they can see.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

micromom - i'll be a dissenter; i think you're OK turning your child around.  i mean really.  the safety guidelines also say to put your kid in the middle for safety - what do you do with more than one child?  i think you have to just use common sense and do what works for you.  you're not a candidate for DSS if you turn the seat around a few months early. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

We had no choice but to turn DD around when DS came (DD was 21 months) because neither of us can drive with a rear-facing carseat behind the driver's seat.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

I think if we continue to listen to the ever expanding recommendations, the kids will be in booster seats until they go for their learners' permits, and we'll be cutting up their grapes and hot dogs in junior high.

Does it matter SOME?  Probably.  But indeed I think it is a matter of diminishing returns...we are chasing after smaller and smaller risks with the effort to improvement ratio getting bigger and bigger all the time.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I agree that standards keep changing.  The head honchos who say it's horribly dangerous to turn before 2 made that recommendation 2 weeks after I turned my then-12-month-old around to the front: that was frustrating.

But the original poster hasn't done anything yet.  It's not a question of having to move the seat because of the car or a sibling.  The kid is apparently comfortable and happy facing backward.  If there's no extenuating circumstances, she might as well just let it ride until another issue comes up and then she can reassess whether to turn the kid forward or not.  No reason to turn forward against recommendations JUST to be contrarian.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Yes, purplecow.  Listening to scientific data based on test car crashes is *just* like cutting up their grapes and doing their social studies projects for them.

Oy vey.  Lissa is right; their child is happy, so why not go with the safest option?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fazel2012. Show fazel2012's posts

We turned DDs seat in my car when we went on a week long road trip to keep her interested on the long drives. It worked! She was able to read books and color more easily which helped. She is still rear facing in DHs car until she hits the limit. She is off the charts as far as percentiles so in DH's car she is rather unconfortable. I think she has about 2 more inches of height before we have to turn her. Since she is 21 month now it may or may not be before her 2nd b-day.

As stefani said different things/ circumstance work for different people. And I will 2nd Lissa that if what is working now is the safest option, why not stick with it until it's not?

Good luck with your DH. :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

My DD gets car sick so easily. I got her the Kids Seabands (available on Amazon) when she was 18 months old. Because technically they are a choking hazard at that age I sewed them into her fleece jacket so she couldn't take them off. They worked great on a trip all they way to Toronto and back!

Now that she's three we just slip her bands on when we take any drive farther than the grocery store.

And front facing has made no difference in her car sickness problem. It's just as bad forward as it was backward. (sigh)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

I agree with just about everyone else if there are no extentuating circumstances, I would continue rear facing.  I do also want to add to what someone said about just because your child is big for their age, doesn't mean they are stronger and can better withstand a crash forward facing.  In fact, as the previous poster said, the opposite is often true.  A 29 lb 18 month old is not the same as a 29 lb 4 year old (my DD, who is obviously off the charts small for her age, but perfectly healthy is only 29 lbs).  The 4 year old has better developed muscles and a fused spinal cord.  The 4 year old also has better ratios of head to body weight.  We turned DD at just before 3 when DS was born.  At that point, she still only weight like 22 lbs, but she was much more developed than a similar weight 12 month old.  I think the weight recommendations, until you get to a booster type seat that isn't affixed to the car are more to prevent people with bigger kids from turning them too soon because they just assume they are stronger.  DS is 20 months and will be rearfacing until he hits the limits of his seat at which point we'll turn him around.  Oh, and one more thing, check the carseat manual for the height limits, they are different for different seats.  Some say head has to have at least 1" of shell above it, some state the height of the child (my DD has very long legs, but so by total height, we would have had to turn her before we did by "shell above head").

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

DD1 is 4 so we turned her at 1 as was considered fine 3 years ago.  The wait til 2 recommendations came out a few weeks before the twins turned 1.  I still turned them at 1.  I could not fathom how something that was fine for my DD1 was horribly dangereous for the twins. 

I also think it is so much easier to get them in and out of forward facing seats and frankly saves their heads from getting whacked on the car while trying to get them into the rear facing seats. When it came up at the 1 year pedi visit, my pedi just kinda shrugged and agreed with my logic.

Sections
Shortcuts