Casting for Reality TV Show-Boston Bunch

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Re: Casting for Reality TV Show-Boston Bunch

How opportune -- I've been looking for a way to shame myself and ruin my child's life.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In Response to Re: Casting for Reality TV Show-Boston Bunch:
    How opportune -- I've been looking for a way to shame myself and ruin my child's life.
    Posted by lemonmelon

Heh heh.  I have actually been thinking lately that it should be illegal to have kids on reality TV.  Not like talent show things, but anything where it is connected to the kid's real life.
    Perhaps you will be my partner in crime and/or give me ideas on how to start this campaign...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Or we could divorce our SOs and marry and then take this show down FROM THE INSIDE

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

"We are seeking eccentric families . . . all family members must have big personalities"

Translation: All participants must be unstable but stop just short of full-on mentally ill. Narcissists and creeps welcome!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Yeah, I bet there will be people lining up down the block to self-identify as eccentric.

Reminds me of a colleague who, with his brother, got a bit part in a very famous movie as a kid--got handed the script and they'd accidentally forgotten to edit the characters' names as "Slightly Ugly Twins."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

On the one hand, I want to delete the original post. OTH, the comments cracked me up! What's a moderator to do?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

On the one hand, I want to delete the original post. OTH, the comments cracked me up! What's a moderator to do?
    Posted by ModeratorJen

That's why they pay you the big bucks!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

LOL, lemon!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Careful Lemon, you're coming off as eccentric....they'll be at your door to feed on your beautiful baby girl any minute!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Yeah, I bet there will be people lining up down the block to self-identify as eccentric.
    Posted by purplecow89

The sad part is, there probably will be.

If I'm going to take this show down from the inside, I'm going to need something really interesting.  Are the now-adult "slightly ugly twins" available?  Perhaps I could marry both of them in a sort of reverse-harem situation.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I'm not the fun kind of eccentric -- just the poorly dressed kind

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL, I'm so glad I finally checked this out - I was curious as to how anything with a title like that could have 12 posts.  Lemon, you never cease to crack me up - thanks!

To the OP, just because humans are drawn to train wrecks doesn't mean we should sabotage anyone's tracks, and don't pretend you don't lay mines.  Blended families are all under enough pressure to get through life amicably and successfully without cameras stuck in their faces - but, you know that don't you.  Tinder boxes are exactly what you are looking for.  I hope you fail for so many reasons.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Kar, getting tough!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I became a step-sister when I was 16 to four close brothers who were 12, 17, 21, and 22.  It boils my blood to think they are intending to capitalize on the struggle it was to just live in their house with their dog, sleeping in the room of the 21 year old who was in college at the time because I didn't have my own.....good times, the perfect environment for CAMERAS.

Our blended family didn't have it any worse than any other blended family of teenagers.  There are no healthy candidates for this project - The Brady Bunch was FICTIONAL.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

I agree that it's all insanity, but they'd be stupid not to do it.  Plenty of people will be lining up to be on the show and plenty will be on their couches ready to watch it.  

I think nobody should drink soda. Ever. Doesn't mean Coca Cola can't make it if foolish people want to buy it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I read something a while ago about how much casting teams love Bostonians because we retain accents that are still recognizeable (or unrecognizable) to most of America but because we can be stereotyped as "bostonian" it protects the show from accusations of other stereotyping (safer than having a  "southern hick" or something like that). 

Plus, we're awesome.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I think nobody should drink soda. Ever. Doesn't mean Coca Cola can't make it if foolish people want to buy it.
    Posted by MichelleandtheBoys

Yes... but they do restrict the sale of soda in schools because minors have behavior restrictions that adults do not.
    I totally understand your point when we're talking about consenting adults choosing to make fools of themselves on TV.
    But kids should not be the subject of these programs.  It is so unethical.  SO unethical.  They are minors and they should be protected.
    Seriously... does anyone have any ideas on how I can take action on this, instead of just ranting??

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

I have no idea to whom one would take this, but here goes:

I suggest that, at minimum, the conditions of any reality show involving minors have to pass muster with the ethics board of a research hospital or university as if they were a human subject experiment using minors.  This would include a detailed justification of any use of deception in the process, like if you tell moms they're watching how many blocks Junior can stack, but really they're counting how many times Mom talks to Junior.  So if you have a hidden camera and let the kid believe they're off camera you would have to justify it.  If you create a false situation to see how Junior reacts (tell him the dog died or Granny is moving away, or get a neighbor kid to pick a fight) to get a reaction, you would have to justify it. 

That's not perfect (as the world has learned with certain researchers in the Boston neighborhood who made big names for themselves with psych research on kids for the pharma money and their own self-aggrandizement) but it would at least be a significant hoop.

Sections
Shortcuts