Childcare costs in Boston and surrounding area

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fuzzymiss9. Show Fuzzymiss9's posts

Childcare costs in Boston and surrounding area

Hello All,

I'm in a 'research phase' right now looking at my budget and expenses regarding childcare.  I'm seeking an affordable mon-fri childcare for a 3 month old.  However I'm a bit clueless as to:

1, what options are available..day cares, nannies, family?
    2, what the general costs would be?

Can anyone help, and does anyone have recommendations for either facilities that work for them or a way to make it affordable?  In my situation both parents will be working full-time mon-fri generally regular hours.  We would have no family support in terms of occasional baby sitting either.

thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Childcare costs in Boston and surrounding area

Hi Fuzzy, Would you mind giving a general area in which you would be looking?  Are you actually in Boston or north/south/west of Boston?

I've been looking north of Boston for my soon-to-be infant.  I haven't bothered to look at centers/schools for the most part because we can't afford them.  As far as in home, I've seen prices anywhere from $800 per month to $1300, and I'm sure there are some that cost more than that too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fuzzymiss9. Show Fuzzymiss9's posts

I'd probably be looking at Somerville or Charlestown, certainly seems expensive to do a day care center.  Would a nanny work out cheaper?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Home daycares are less expensive than centers, but being in the city will be pricey-er than the farther out suburbs. Also, an infant is more expensive than a toddler (defined by regulations as 15+ months). You can search for both family and center based daycares at this website:
    http://www.eec.state.ma.us/ChildCareSearch/EarlyEduMap.aspx

You're probably looking at about $300/week in your area. The website provides costs for some providers. Just note any prices listed on that site might be out of date, I just looked up our provider (in Quincy, MA), and the prices listed are less than what we are currently paying (but are close, so maybe 1-3 years out of date).

I doubt you'd be able to find a full time nanny for less than $15/hr, which would be $600 to $750 a week for a 40 to 50 hour week. (Our DD spends 9.5 hours a day in daycare once you factor in time to commute from her daycare to work, so unless you and your DH can stagger your work time so that one of you leaves early and the other leaves late, plan on commute time as well.)

If you have friends/neighbors nearby who also have children in need of care maybe a nannyshare would work for you, and be a way to bring the cost of a nanny down.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

The daycare we're looking at for our daughter is a center, and it's $90/day for infants.  We're looking at a center because my parents will do 2 days a week, and centers are generally more open to part-time than home day cares are.  Also, I like knowing that the center will be open year round, and won't have to plan to vacation at the same times as my day care provider.  In Brighton/Watertown/Brookline, I didn't find anything for infants at a center that would be less than $1500/month.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fuzzymiss9. Show Fuzzymiss9's posts

Wow...that's expensive.  Maybe a nannyshare would be a better idea than a daycare center sort of place.  What about YMCA or some other low cost childcare, or is this of a much lower quality?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Not all YMCAs do infant care- and I imagine the costs would be similar to any other center/home daycare. Massachusetts highly regulates daycare - much more so than many other states. It is great from a quality of care standpoint - better caregiver/child ratios, home daycares are licensed, certain amounts of training are required, etc. but it means that the costs are higher than in other parts of the country.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

From what I have heard, YMCAs are no cheaper.
    I also researched daycares (centers and homes) in NH and didn't find them to be any cheaper than what I found MA.  Was majorly disappointed about that!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Somerville and Charlestown...what is influencing you to look there first if you don't mind sharing?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I'm guessing it's where she lives and/or works?

Sections
Shortcuts