Clogged duct - when to call doctor?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Clogged duct - when to call doctor?

I have been graced with my first clogged duct.  Joy!  :(

My interweb research tells me all about what to do to try to get rid of it, and all the signs of mastitis (for which I would call the doctor).
    So it seems to suggest that as long as I feel okay and don't have a fever, there is nothing the doctor can really do.  But it's not 100% clear to me.
    Is there any benefit to calling the doctor even if I feel fine?  If it goes on beyond a certain number of days should I call?
    And if I do call, should I call my PCP, OB/GYN, pediatrician, lactation consultant, ___ ?  Not sure who has jurisdiction in this area!
    I will probably end up calling when they open tomorrow, just in case, but I thought I would put it out there for your words of wisdom...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Re: Clogged duct - when to call doctor?

I ended up with a bunch of clogged ducts because I was EP'ing for my DS. Luckily, none turned into mastitis, but they were still painful and seriously annoying/worrisome. Honestly, I called my OB once and she had no further suggestions beyond the normal--massage, hot showers, feeding on that side, applying pressure, etc. That, and keep a close eye in case things got worse. My LC had one other suggestion that ended up being a lifesaver for me--lechithin supplements. It's not entirely clear how they work, but they have been shown to prevent clogged ducts in a number of women. I took 3-4 pills a day (the biggest dosage I could find), and after I started those I never got another clogged duct and I continued to EP for 10 months beyond that until DS was 1 year old. I got mine at the Vitamin Shoppe, but you should be able to find them at any vitamin/supplement store. Good luck. Hopefully it clears soon!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Kiwi - thanks - worrisome is the exact word for it.  I'm feeling a little paranoid.
    I also just got this gem from a website:
    "Try putting the baby down on the bed or on a blanket on the floor and lean over him on all fours. Let your breast hang straight down, falling freely from your ribcage.  Try not to let anyone see you doing this because they will probably fall over laughing."
    :)
    As if my baby would eat like that anyway!  She would probably laugh herself!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I got a few plugged ducts, usually on the under part near my arm. I got a little heating pad to put on them, and then I'd massage them gently until they felt like sand -- that meant they were breaking up. I found that massaging the last bit of milk out of my breasts after pumping, and working those outer edges with my hand while nursing, prevented clogged ducts. It felt weird at first, but after a while it became second nature.

Oh, and the weirdest tip I saw was to submerge the breast in a bucket of warm water while hand expressing. Let me tell you, there is no way to feel pretty while doing that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I had a clogged duct and tried the lecithin that Kiwigal recommended and it cleared within a couple of hours (I also took a hot shower and put the massaging shower head right on the bugger).  Never had another one after that.  I found mine at Whole Foods, but I'm sure Vitamin Shoppe is cheaper. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sally2340. Show Sally2340's posts

Hi,

I had mastitus a while ago (caused by clogged ducts) so I'll tell you what my OB had me do because it's probably the same stuff minus the antibiotics for mastitus-a fever and a sunburn are tell tale signs for mastitus.
    Heat before nursing (either hot shower or heating pad), followed by nursing a lot and massaging while nursing on that side. Then pump any remaining milk out while massaging again (go towards your nipple). Then put cold on it (ice pack or frozen peas) to stop the flow. Lecitin helps and my lactation consultant also had me put sliced wet potatoe peices on my breast once to draw out the moisture.

not sure if all this worked but it went away....hope that helps. I think you could either go to your OB or your PCP.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Thanks everyone!
    Another question: does it always go away all at once (like a sudden release) or could it also go away gradually?
    I think I'm calling the OB tomorrow... it's been 4 days!  Still no fever, but I'm getting a little paranoid.
    And maybe I'll buy a potato.  :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Medford, when I had a blocked duct I had this vision of a quick release, and like something would come out of the breast as though I had passed a kidney stone or something. It's not like that, it goes away slowly. In fact, it's almost dissapointing not the see something for all the work you put in to clearing a duct!

It's probably a bad idea to tell you this, but when I had a blocked duct I was heading out on vacation so I asked my OB for an antibiotic "just in case" and started taking it. A few days later I thought my daughter was sick because she had loose green stools and a gurgly stomach. It turns out she was not enjoying my antibiotic. So if you develop full on mastitis and go the antibiotic route, just keep in mind your baby will get a little dose of antibiotic as well. It's nothing bad for baby, I just didn't want you to worry about the baby if something like that happened.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

In Response to Re: Clogged duct - when to call doctor?:
    [QUOTE]Kiwi - thanks - worrisome is the exact word for it.  I'm feeling a little paranoid. I also just got this gem from a website: "Try putting the baby down on the bed or on a blanket on the floor and lean over him on all fours. Let your breast hang straight down, falling freely from your ribcage.  Try not to let anyone see you doing this because they will probably fall over laughing." :) As if my baby would eat like that anyway!  She would probably laugh herself!
    Posted by medfordcc[/QUOTE]

Medford - I'm sorry you're dealing with a yucky clogged duct, but I have to say this post made me burst out laughing (in my quiet cubicle-laden work environment).  I needed the laugh, so thank you!  And I hope you get the issue cleared up soon (whether or not you use the above method).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks everyone! Another question: does it always go away all at once (like a sudden release) or could it also go away gradually? I think I'm calling the OB tomorrow... it's been 4 days!  Still no fever, but I'm getting a little paranoid. And maybe I'll buy a potato.  :)
    Posted by medfordcc[/QUOTE]
    It goes from feeling like a knot to getting grainy, like sand, and then it squirts out like milk and harder stuff. That's hwo it was with me, anyway. I wouldn't wait 4 days before calling -- mastitis is no joke.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Have called OB.  Same advice all of you gave, pretty much.  Still no signs of mastitis (thankfully).  Maybe it feels more like sand now??  Unsure.
    Have also spent a lot of time with my breast in a sink full of warm water.  Also, Poppy, I have not tried the fabulous nursing trick but I tried it pumping.  Totally undignified!!!
    Have just procured lecithin and a potato!  Big plans for Friday night here.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I'm sorry - I hope I didn't seem like I was making light of your situation!  That image just cracked me up, since I already feel like a barnyard animal whenever I pump.  I hope it gets resolved tonight!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

[QUOTE]I'm sorry - I hope I didn't seem like I was making light of your situation!  That image just cracked me up, since I already feel like a barnyard animal whenever I pump.  I hope it gets resolved tonight!
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]

Not at all!  I think laughing at it is the only way to go and I'm glad it gave you a laugh!  :)
    My mom almost fell down laughing when I told her that suggestion...

Sections
Shortcuts