Convertible Carseats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Re: Convertible Carseats

Bringing this post back up with a somewhat related question.  DS (almost 8 mths) transitioned to his big boy car seat this weekend!  The bucket is officially no longer!  His head was at the top and feet hanging out and he just looked beyond squished!  So this morning was our first 'getting ready to leave for work' morning where I couldn't just plop him in the bucket for 5 minutes while I put my things together and grab my lunch, bags, etc.  I came down this morning holding DS and was like "ok, now what do I do?"  I plopped him on the living room floor with a toy and then grabbed my things.  But I was just curious what others do during this in-between stage where he isn't walking yet. (in fact, he's not mobile at all yet!).  And also, when you have multiple items to bring to the car and are by yourself... bring those first?  Do child first than come back in?  

And P.S., just going to apologize to my son now because I can guarantee, without a doubt, I am going to smack his head on the car sometime soon!  What a difference trying to eek him into the rear facing seat vs. just plopping the bucket into the base!

And P.P.S., I already miss the bucket for when he's sleeping.  Saturday afternoon after an errand, he was sound asleep so I went and got a beach chair, sat in the driveway for 30 minutes with the car doors open waiting for him to finish his nap!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I'm jealous IPW!  DD hates her carseat.  I can't put her in until we're ready to run out the door.  For now, she spends most of the morning in her bouncy seat.  I suppose your DS is too big for that huh?  How about some sort of exersaucer?
    I usually run my bags out to the car and then come back for DD.  If I have extra time that day, I'll carry her with me while I do it.  It's ridiculous how much stuff I leave with in the morning!! (purse, pump bag, cooler for pump stuff, diaper bag, cooler for bottles going to daycare, and of course the baby)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

IPW - We have a pack 'n play set up in the living room to contain the babies when we need to be doing things in the morning.  We also still have the swing as a containment option and DS loves his jumperoo.  We usually bring bags out first and then kids which means four trips to the car in the morning but sometimes we go out with baby and bag then come back for the rest of the bags.

It's actually easier that DS can't move yet.  Once DD could move, I hated leaving her alone in a room for more than a minute.  She always seemed to get into trouble.  :-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

We have two britax boulevards. DS sleeps peacefully in them and we don't have any complaints. We actually don't travel with them on the plane-we use the CARES fly safe harness, and check the car seat. Or when visiting our ILs we have them meet us with a car seat. So my only other reference are european car seats, which just don't compare to US car seats-can we say no chest clip/strap?

I was lucky that when we transitioned I either had DH help me get everything into the car, or I travel light enough that I can bring everything to our garage, put DS in his seat, then load my bags-but we're lucky to have attached garage. If we didn't then I'd leave DS in the house-in a secure contained space, bring the bags, then get DS.

As for hitting LO's head. It happens. You too will hit your head-probably more than you hit your LO's head. I still mourn the days of the bucket seat to just run into a store quickly-that is no longer an option with a toddler...sigh.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

We do some combo of DH takes stuff left by the back door, DD 'watches' DS while I run to the car (FAST!) - TV/Toy helps with this one, exersaucer (but now he sees me leaving and cries), Pack'n'play (don't use it for DS, but used it a lot for DD), or my personal favorite - Mamma the Packhorse! 

It is MUCH easier in the summer'y months than in the winter, and DS was getting too heavy for me to manage the bucket seat, at least now he kind of holds on with his legs

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I usually leave DD in the exersaucer or in her crib and put the stuff in the car, then come back and get her.  When we get home, I do the reverse -- her in the house first and put her in the crib or exersaucer and then go back for the stuff.
    We live all on one level but on the second floor, so her crib is just as easy for us.  I've had this quandary for a while whenever I had to carry her plus stroller, or her plus a lot of groceries, or anything else that I can't negotiate the stairs with her and the stuff at the same time.  The first time I left her to go back down to get groceries I was kind of beside myself, but that's really the only option.
    I figure if I get shot with a poison dart in between trips, I want her to be in the safest locale.  :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Canuk, so funny you mention that.  My DS is starting to wrap his legs around my waste when I carry him.  Something so minor, but it is just beyond cute and sweet!

And yes, warm months so far are so much easier!  DS sweats big time in the car seat, so could never do more than one layer.  Which in January, just looks cruel!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

IPW, can your husband put some stuff in the car for you before he leaves?  I do everything I possibly can the night before, so DD's daycare bag is pretty much packed, ditto my gym bag, laptop, dry cleaning ... whatever cr*p I'm hauling with me on any given day.  I leave it by the front door and DH takes anything that's ready to go out with him when he leaves.  Cuts down on the back and forth, and the stress. 

DD's still in the bucket, but I won't try to navigate our stairs with anything more than her and my purse.  And to answer your larger question -- Baby is last out in the a.m., first out in the p.m.  I either get her in the bucket and do any runs, or bring her in and set her up in the exersauser (how DO you spell that???) thing and make my runs. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

IPW - just wanted to comment about how you said your DS fell asleep in the convertible and you had to sit outside in a beach chair for 30 minutes.  I have actually had great success with moving my DD from the convertible car seat to her crib when she falls asleep in the car.  Sometimes she will even open her eyes as I am carrying her in the house, but she always rolls right over in her crib and goes back to sleep (I am knocking on wood)!  I usually make sure to give her the paci as soon as I take her out of the car seat, and I carry her sideways so she is kind of laying down.  We even have to go up two flights of stairs, but she does fine with it.  It might be worth a try!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

IPW-I don't remember what type of carseat you have but does it have supports for smaller children.  DD's seat has insertsfor her head which help keep her upright.  She hasn't fallen asleep in her carseat, however, so I'm not sure if the insert would prevent her head from bobbing downward. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

IPW - maybe it is just the type of carseat?  We have a Britax Boulevard in my car that has a lot of side impact protection and she can fall asleep and kind of rest her head on the side.  We bought a Cosco Scenera for my DH's car because she isn't in that car seat as much, and it is much cheaper than the Britax.  We have the same problem with the Cosco car seat.....DD falls asleep and there isn't much on the side to support her head so she is all slumped over.  I feel bad about it too.  I would love a solution as well!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

In Response to Re: Convertible Carseats:
    [QUOTE] I figure if I get shot with a poison dart in between trips, I want her to be in the safest locale.  :)
    Posted by medfordcc[/QUOTE]

HA!  Medford, this cracked me up.  The things we now think about!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

I have a Marathon and my husband has a Roundabout.  I love them both! I especially love the little velcro squares on the seat that hold the straps open while your child gets in--- such a fun little luxury!

I love both our seats and got them because they are so highly rated.  Target recently had a sale ($199) for Marathons.  I suggest you pick an ugly pattern and save $100, and then you can change out the cover!  I have 2 covers for mine- and bought a gorgeous handmade one off someone from Etsy.com.  So awesome to be able to change it up since you have to look at it every day for years!! (Plus, when you wash them they have to be air dried so its nice to just put the 2nd one on at that time)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

In Response to Re: Convertible Carseats:
    [QUOTE]Ok, I totally have it installed correctly, the level is "level" and the line is parallel to the ground.  It can't possibly be tilted back any further while rear facing.  But... no matter what, when DS falls asleep, his chin is to his chest with his head bobbling about.  It looks horribly uncomfortable, and actually unsafe for his little neck.  Any thoughts?  I've seen babies like this all the time in strollers and always thought it was bad mothering... now I feel like one of those!
    Posted by IPWBride[/QUOTE]

I noticed it depended on how my son adjusted his rear end in the seat - sometimes when he napped, he would lean to one side and other times, it seemed like he was napping with a crinked neck. So we got some thick padded shoulder straps from babies r us that we put on the harness for the shoulders - and tried it out on the long car ride. He looked so much better for sleeping (I plan to take those same straps to use for flying with the CARES so that he will have a soft place to rest his head on and we won't have to tussle with a neck pillow). Note, he is 9 months so he has good head control when awake.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Do people highly recommend having an extra carseat cover?  How many covers do people have on hand? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lilpeanut. Show lilpeanut's posts

When you all talk about the Britax Marathon, are you talking about the standard one? Or the Marathon 70?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lilpeanut. Show lilpeanut's posts

We are currently in the market for a car seat for our DD. We are between the Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL and Britax Marathon 70. I feel like the Britax has deeper side walls and would provide more of a side impact protection, but Sunshine Kids get excellent consumer reports and goes up to 80lbs.
    Any thoughts??

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

lilpeanut, we have the Sunshine Radian, and I like it, although it can be hard to adjust the straps. I have figured out a way that works now that we have DD forward facing, but it was a pain for a while until I figured out how to tighten the straps more easily. If you will ever need for other people to ride in the back with the carseat (ours is in the middle positions, so theoretically two people can sit on either side) I think the Sunshine might be better than the Britax - I have heard that it is quite wide. Even with the narrower Sunshine, it can be difficult to have passengers in the back - I have ridden next to DD for a trip up to NH, and it was really cramped by my shoulders, and I am short/small. I don't think I could have done it with a wider seat (and the Britax has a reputation for being one of the wider seats.)
    HTH

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from betty7. Show betty7's posts

Hi all, I thought I'd revive this thread since I've been doing research on car seats.  We have smaller cars and I've narrowed down possible seats to the britax roundabout, maxi cosi priori, and the first years true fit. Does anyone have experience with the latter two? They seem to get good reviews. 

Also, how much does the maximum weight matter?  The roundabout goes up to 55lbs, the maxi cosi is only 40lbs, and the true fit is 60lbs.  Our DD is ~30-40th percentile for weight and height. We'll also likely have a 2nd baby by the time she is 2.5, so I imagine we could switch these seats to the younger one if she is outgrowing them.

I'd like the seat to be comfy and recline because we take long trips to visit family.

I'd love any reviews or advice.  Thanks! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Thanks betty for reviving this... I was just going through convertibles for our registry.  Is there a reason why so few have Evenflos?  I really like the looks of the Symphony.  Anyone have experience with that one?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Whatever you buy, TRY IT OUT FIRST at the store. As the policewoman who installed the seat told me, you can buy the safest seat in the world, but it only works if you know how to operate it. If you get one that's too difficult to use, you'll just end up doing it wrong. And get it installed by a professional the first time! We've both now installed and uninstalled our car seat(s) a million times and can do it in a few minutes, but you really need someone to show you how the first time and explain the different safety precautions and why they're important. It's particularly with infants because an infant in an incorrectly-installed seat is in danger of positional asphyxiation. If you get someone to show you the first time, you'll know how the seat is supposed to look when correctly installed. We brought ours to the Brookline station when our daughter was a week or so old and got an earful -- we had the seat tilted to the side and too upright, the handle raised above her with stuff hanging off it, a mirror on the headrest facing her, and she was in a bundleme! We were ready to call DSS on ourselves by the time we left.

Sections
Shortcuts