Crib mattress

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Re: Crib mattress

We got this one.  It's a Sealy foam.  DD sleeps great on it!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

We got this one. http://www.babyfurniturewarehouse.com/nursery-more/cribs-mattresses/colgate-2-in-1.html

Since we got the convertible crib, we thought it made sense to get a mattress that can grow with DS.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Being lame and bumping my post... Probably going to order the mattress this weekend.
    Thanks for the suggestions so far!  I was intersted both in the combo mattress and organic, so good to hear reviews.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

For what it's worth, we bought ours at Ikea. It was the $70 spring one, which at the time was the most expensive. They now have one that's an $80 foam and latex mattress, and I wish we could get it because my daughter does some serious bouncing on her mattress and I think she'd get less height on foam. I liked that Ikea mattresses conform to European safety standards and use natural flame retardents instead of all the cancer-causing stuff that's required here but banned in the UK. I also didn't want to spend too much on it because I figured it would get ruined before too long, and that does seem likely considering her diaper removal skillz.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

I dont know what brand ours is, it was a hand-me-down from my brother (although new), but it has the infant side and the toddler side.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

I don't know our brand (although I think its Serta)  but it was probably about 140 from BRU.  We got the a spring type that has the infant and toddler side.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

We got this organic one from Costco. It's 179 right now but we got it onsale for 100! We ordered it online, I don't even have a costco card so used MIL's #.   All that flame/fire retardant stuff scares me so we're doing organic as much as possible including the nursery rug. All those VOCs are not good for babies, if it has a weird smell and made of un-natural materials then it's probably filled with VOCs.  Anyways, that's my opinion, I know some people don't agree with going organic/green.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Anyone go all out psyco and get the nook pebble?  It will only set you back about $800 bucks for the set

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Sarah, I want one of those. It just looks cool. :)  You can go out and buy the 1K stroller at the same time!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

We got the simmons firmest mattress we could find. DS slept well on it and we had no issues, would get the same one again.

FWIW when I was researching twin mattresses for DS, I saw a Simmons one for sale that stated it was treated with happy easy breathing stuff (I forget all the terms now), but the mattress wasn't organic. Since no other company (seller) listed this as a feature for the mattresses I called Simmons and they said they do the same treatment for all mattresses. So all of their mattresses were treated the same happy to breath stuff.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soon2bmom. Show soon2bmom's posts

We got the Colgate Monarch. We have a convertible crib and plan on using it for several years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I've noticed with some of the "organic" mattresses, the info only states that the outer layer is made from organic material.  Yours looks legit, ajuly, just something I noticed that made me pause.  Maybe I'll ask MIL to go to Costco.

We went to a child care class last night and the instructor said there is no scientific research to back up the need for a firm mattress... I thought it was a SIDS risk to have the baby sleep on something soft???  A woman had asked how it can be OK to have the baby sleep on your bed if your bed is way softer than a crib mattress.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

hey fram!  my two cents: don't overthink it - you'll have other things to think about that are more critical, imho!  for our twins, we've got 1 new crib with new mattress (both from land of nod), and 1 35-year-old crib with 35-year-old mattress (my old crib!).  both are fine.  no complaints from the babies and i can't see how a relatively "soft" mattress could be soft enough to be dangerous anyway.  GL!  :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from evavase. Show evavase's posts

Hi Fra--I bought the colgate foam from Baby Furn. Warehouse.  It's.super.hard. Like, really hard!

I guess DS doesn't mind (??), but I ended up firmly tucking in two blankets on top of it b/c otherwise it would be like sleeping on the floor! My friend spent a bundle $250 I think on a really good spring mattress and it is sooo much different (and better I think) than the one we got. Her baby's been sleeping through the night since 6 weeks old.  I know, I know, probably not the mattress, but who knows...could be.  
    I guess it would be good to think about when baby is older and durability/if you plan to use it for 2nd child too.  They do say that foam will last longer...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks Evavase,  Another point that was made to me is that you will hear the coil mattresses creaking.  I'm leaning towards the Colgate 2-in-1 anyway though.  Don't know why I keep putting this fof!  It's not like I'm buying a car for thousands of dollars!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Crib mattress:
    [QUOTE]we've got 1 new crib with new mattress (both from land of nod), and 1 35-year-old crib with 35-year-old mattress (my old crib!).  both are fine.  no complaints from the babies and i can't see how a relatively "soft" mattress could be soft enough to be dangerous anyway.  GL!  :)
    Posted by stefani2[/QUOTE]
    I'm sure you've done this, but a lot of older cribs have wide-spaced slats where a baby's head can get stuck once it starts moving around. Our local shelter won't accept donations of cribs more than 7 years old.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/babies-kids/resource-center/guide-to-childproofing-and-safety/crib-safety-tips/crib-safety-tips.htm

Safety standards have changed for crib mattresses as well. And mattresses house dust and mites, fluids, and so on. It might be totally fine to use a 35-year-old crib mattress, but I wouldn't risk it personally -- at least not until the kid is past the SIDS window.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Ya I know, i discovered that the mattress may not be 100% organic which is false advertizing I think!!  I guess I feel better about some organic material near the baby's face than none at all.  Oh well, don't want to spend $300 on the real thing.  I found the same thing with the changing pad, so I registered for the expenisve one and if someone buys it great, if not I'll buy the cheaper one that's not ALL organic.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

EEEWWW.  35 years old.  Sorry but that's just ick.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

[QUOTE]for our twins, we've got 1 new crib with new mattress (both from land of nod), and 1 35-year-old crib with 35-year-old mattress (my old crib!).  both are fine.  no complaints from the babies
    Posted by stefani2[/QUOTE]

Stefani, was it you asking in another thread about your son not sleeping as well as your daughter?  Errrr, which one of them has the old crib & mattress?  (Although I'd say, either way, NEITHER of them should be sleeping in a 35 year old crib.  Just no.)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

My SIL told me this trick: if you can pass a can of coke through the slats, they're too wide and not up to modern safety standards.  This was from her nursing training, so I Believe Her. 

For what it's worth, we were also offered a crib mattress hailing back to the Nixon Administration, and I declined for the reasons above -- dust mites, mold, etc ... I have allergies & asthma, so it stood to reason that DD might pull that genetic lottery ticket and, as much as I appreciated the offer, that one I wasn't cool with. 

Fram, I got the Colgate mattress that was recommended in Baby Bargains.  Not the one my MIL was trying to unload from the attic. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]My SIL told me this trick: if you can pass a can of coke through the slats, they're too wide and not up to modern safety standards.  This was from her nursing training, so I Believe Her.  Posted by GC1016[/QUOTE]

This is what the woman said at our childcare class too (about the can of soda).  And also just to check for general disrepair and peeling paint.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Glad to know it's still up-to-date advice!  I figured -- my SIL used to teach the newborn basics and childbirth classes and such before they got outsourced to Isis, so she knows of what she speaks.  She was actually the one that told me to stay the h*ll away from the aforementioned mattress.  As it was HER old crib mattress -- yeah.  :)  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Or a can of beer. If the baby can't take it, you can drink the beer. Double incentive.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Even if the kid isn't allergic to dust and mold (I am too -- fun, isn't it?), exposure to  high levels of dust and mold significantly raises the risk of SIDS, and can trigger allergies in babies who wouldn't otherwise develop them. It can also lead to asthma. And crib mattresses were softer in the 1970s. I know that we were all fine, but modern safety standards have led to a 70% decrease in SIDS, so a lot of babies weren't fine. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. Ikea has crib mattresses for as low as $35.

People tried to give us old cribs and mattresses, but I didn't want to take any chances. I'm not obsessive about my daughter's safety -- I totally put her carseat on the shopping cart and gave her raisins before she was a year old because I'm crazy like that -- but there are certain risks I'm not willing to take, particularly if they're unnecessary.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maple76. Show Maple76's posts

[QUOTE]Or a can of beer. If the baby can't take it, you can drink the beer. Double incentive.
    Posted by lemonmelon[/QUOTE]

Lemon, I rarely post, but I read all the time and I love your sense of humor! This one nearly made me choke on my coffee.