Cry it Out?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Re: Cry it Out?

Hooray! Now you just have to teach him to sleep in.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

So glad I found this post! We're having this issue with waking up at night. I'm not sure what we'll do - CIO or not. Did any of you ladies use a lovee/blankie with them in the crib to help soothe them? My best gf said that she did this with her kids, but I hadn't heard that it would help them get back to bed with this before. Ds is 5 months old - can you even put a blankie in the crib with them at this age? He's been sleeping in his sleepsack and getting to bed okay, but has been waking up in the middle of the night for several days this week (not sure if it's related to us starting daycare this week or not since there haven't been any other issues related to this for him). I've been sticking the pacifier in his mouth and he gets back to bed quickly (yes, I know that's not a good solution, but he rarely uses the pacifier and I am just too tired to do anything else at 3AM). Like kiwiguy, I'm also probably not waiting long enough. I give him about a minute or so and then head in.
    Also, when all of you talk about crying, are you talking about regular crying or really upset crying? When I go in to soothe him back to sleep, I try to get him back to bed before the hysterical crying starts.
    TIA!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

From 5 or 6 months (whenever she started rolling and we stopped swaddling) we put a lovey or shirty in with her. Shirty was a shirt I'd worn, knotted in the middle. I also put the lovey in my bra and wore it around before giving it to her. She found my stink very soothing.

"Crying" was a misnomer -- I should have said screaming, gagging, howling, flipping out, etc.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from grimalkin. Show grimalkin's posts

I give pumped milk in a bottle. I had never heard the term "dream feed" but I guess that's probably what we've been doing. Baby goes down at 6:30/7-ish. We get him up at 11 pm before we go to bed, give him a bottle, change his diaper and then put him right back down again. Sometimes he wakes up and is really groggy. Other times, he seems to stay asleep and drinks his bottle with his eyes closed.

He always goes right back down again and then sleeps until 6 am. He doesn't have teeth yet but decay might be a problem once he gets them?

We've done experiments and tried skipping the 11 pm wake up but it's always resulted in him waking up on his own in the middle of the night SCREAMING. We never have problems otherwise so I do think that's hunger and not nightmares.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

Thank you lemonmelon!! When I mentioned I heard that the blankie should smell like me, my gf asked me if I was treating my baby like a dog (she's not always best with being tactful). I knew I couldn't have been the only one to hear that!!

And thank you for clarifying about the crying. I didn't want to think everyone else got a little boohoo-ing and we had Mr. Hysteria!  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I thought that people were going to call the cops on us when we sleep-trained. Seriously. It was horrible, but totally worth it in the long run.

If it acts like an animal, treat it like a animal. My husband and I used to compare our daughter to a wolf, because we read that infants can smell you from 40 feet away. The smellier shirty got, the more she liked it -- she'd bury her tiny face in my gross workout shirts and groan with pleasure. Babies are weird.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

grimalkin, how old is your baby? If he doesn't have teeth yet he must be pretty little. It's normal for infants to wake from hunger in the night. Even Ferber says you shouldn't attempt sleep training until 6 months. It sounds like you guys have a good, solid schedule.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

My dad jokes that he is going to take the Cesar Milan dog training books and just switch out the word baby for dog, then sell them as child-rearing guides. But I do find myself using the same techniques to get DD and the dog's attention. I haven't resorted to a shake can for DD, but I've thought about it Tongue out

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecod1818. Show capecod1818's posts

I found myself saying "get the ball" to my DS yesterday and I thought if anyone could hear me and not see who I was talking to they would think I was talking to my dog.  I agree with the training.  I hope everyone is getting sleep now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've got the opposite experience - any time I tell my mom a story about our training our labrador she says, "You know, this is good practice for if you ever have a baby!"  Crate training was very much a CIO vs. LHO (Let Her Out) experience, for instance, no kidding! :)

(Not that I'd put our baby in a dog crate, mind you!)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from roneil68. Show roneil68's posts

I hope I'm not jinxing myself by putting this in writing but my ds has pretty much slept through the night since she was born.  In the beginning I would wake her up after 6 hours at night to bf (she has not had a bottle yet and she is 8 weeks old) and last night she slept 8 hours.  I've been worried about maintaining my milk supply with these long sleeps but she nurses often during the day.  One big difference with the other posters is that she doesn't go to bed for the night until between 9:00pm and 10:00pm.  Maybe you're putting the baby down too soon?  Do you think that I should be waking up my ds during the night to nurse and not let her go so long?  Sorry for interjecting my question in your post!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecod1818. Show capecod1818's posts

Ron,

How old is your daughter?  If she is sleeping through the night I am not sure if I would wake her up...unless she is a newborn and then I think the drs say to wake them up to feed.  If she is old enough let her sleep and count your blessings.  My DS is now sleeping through the night consistently since he was 8 months old so I now feel like a normal person getting enough sleep.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Ron,

Did you ask your pedi about this?  When we first brought my DD home she was a very good sleeper.  There were a couple of nights right away that I got 6 hrs!!!  I was worried too about my milk supply and if she was getting enough to eat.  My pedi did tell me to wake her if she goes more than 4-5 hrs overnight and more than 3 hrs during the day - but this was when she was only 3 weeks or so.  However, she also said that the scale was ultimately what you need to consult.  Your DS must be gaining fine, otherwise your pedi would have said something.  At 8 weeks he probably has a check-up coming right up, and you can see.

My DD eventually started getting up on her own once in the night, but since she was 3 months she's been sleeping through again (she's 4 months today).  We also don't put her down until around 10-11pm.  I agree that putting her down late must help. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I will say, straight CIO is the only thing that ever works for us.  I say works b/c DS is very easitly thrown off with his sleep at 20 mos - a cold, teethng, a hectic day, a few days away from home.  Anytime he stops sleeping through the night and I am positive he is healthy and not in need of something urgen due to pain, illness, etc., we have to resort back to 1-2 nights of crying it out.  And this can be screaming, howling, or now that he talks, repeated yells of mama, dada, etc.  I feel HORRIBLE when we have to do it, but any type of method where we go in there at different intervals just dragged it out and made him more upset.  Usually, 2 nights of CIO and we are golden.  RHM, I'd give DS a week or two to adjust to daycare and for you to get a clear sense of how his schedule is going down when he's there.  I found my DS often napped a little better for daycare than me that young and would also end up with the commute naps, which did impact his night sleep at first until we adjusted bedtime and got used to our new work/daycare routine.  Your DS is also at the could-be-teething age, so that could be factoring in.  I know there's varying ages as to when people recommend to start trying CIO, so not sure what the general consensus on a 5 mo old is.  My son had zero interest in any lovies/blankies until very recently, but I think if your DS can roll over, they are probably ok.        

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

A few things we did that worked well, and still do - when I stopped night feedings, if my daughter woke she got her pacifier.  Within a few nights she stopped waking, or would move her arm around searching for the lost pacifier.  I then weaned the pacifier at 18 months, no issues.  Other times when she'd wake and want to be comforted, I'd pick her up and sit in her chair and we'd rock, but I'd tell her "we'll rock two minutes, then back to bed" - this was great, and it got to the point that as soon as I'd say, "okay" she'd start to rise and would go right back to bed.  We got this down to one minute, and now that she can talk she asks for the chair if she needs it, or just gets the reassurance that we're there and I pull the blankets up while she stays in bed.  I let her cry sometimes, but generally at night it hasn't gotten to that (more nap time, or if she wakes when I'm in the shower).  Now that she's older 21 months,, I've found that I can reassure her with a pep talk in a quiet voice.  Like this week she is in her crib with the rail removed and I just spoke to her about her being a big girl, and that now that she can get in and out of bed on her own, she can do like mom and dad, but that we all stay in our bed at night.  We're still across the hall where we've always been.  She's a big girl and she's doing a super job in her big girl bed.  Got her to settle down and go to sleep without one of us in the room for the first time since we started the new bed.  You have to feel it out - you'll find something that works for you - just do it all with confidence! 

Sections
Shortcuts