CT or others, daycare concern, what would you do?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsBride. Show BsBride's posts

CT or others, daycare concern, what would you do?

I received a scary call from my son's daycare provider. I have two kids at a home daycare, a 2 year old and a 4 month old. During the day, when the younger kids that take two naps are having their morning nap, one of the assistants takes the older kids to a playground a couple blocks away. I did sign a permission slip for this and I know they do it a few times a week. Today apparently the daycare worker was putting two of the kids back in the stroller to come back, and my son wondered away. He went from one side of the field where the playground is to basketball courts on the other side, it's about 300 feet away. Some neighbors saw a little boy wandering around alone and called the police, then got him and brough him back to the daycare worker (apparently yelling at her too). The police brought everyone back to the daycare, and the owner called me to let me know what happened. I spoke with the police too, who said he had no concerns about the daycare or anyone's safety at that point, but wanted to make sure I was informed. The owner is absolutely livid at his assistant. I'm thankful nice non-child molesters found him and brought him back. I can't stop thinking about what could have happened. It's a residential area, but there is a street, he could have got hit by a car, been kidnapped, became lost. I'm going to sit down with the owners tonight to discuss this. I don't know what to do. I really love this place, and never had any problems from the time my son was 8 weeks old. They have two programs there (home daycare) One upstairs, one downstairs. I was thinking about asking to switch to the other one where I know they have fewer kids. The one he is in has the max of 10 kids for two workers. Upstairs only has 6 or 7 I think.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Re: CT or others, daycare concern, what would you do?

BsBride - how scary!  It seems like a long time must have passed between when your son first walked off, to when the police came and brought him back!  What was the assistant doing that whole time - do you think she was frantically looking for him?  Do you know how many kids the assistant is allowed to bring to the playground by herself?  If it's more than 4, I think I might talk to the director/owner about that. Otherwise, it seems like it would be a good idea for the assistant to have some sort of routine that accounts for all kids when she knows she has to turn her back to put some in the stroller, etc.  Such as having all the kids come put their hands on the stroller and wait, or something like that.

It could be a total fluke, but it's a dangerous one and one that should make them realize they need to have a better system in place.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

How Scary.  I know how quick kids can get away from you if are not looking for one second.  

I would also be having second thoughts about sending my children there again.  They should have some kind of rules with the children about holding on to the stroller or some kind of rope system.  Not saying they cant wonder away even if that is in place.   I think 300 feet is a far distance to wonder while putting 2 children in a stroller. I also think the assistance should have had an eye on him the whole time while dealing with the other kids.

I dont know what the correct answer is because I am sure you are feeling that if you continue to have your children watched by them you will be thinking about if they are ok all day long and not being very productive in your job.  You should have trust that the people who care for your children are doing as good if not a better job than you.   On the other hand, it just could have been one terrible mistake from the assist.  

Keep us posted on what the daycare owners say.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Bs my heart just sank for you. What a horrible call to get!

I'm not sure what I would do in this situation. What does your gut say? As other's have posted, what are the rules for ratios when they have the kids out at the park and what is the protocol for monitoring the children. As a result of this incident what changes to the procedures will be implemented?

Once I knew the answers to those questions I would determine what to do from there. Mommy gut would also rule too. If you truly feel this is a rare incident and switching to the one up stairs would make you feel more comfrotable go with that. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I have no personal experience w/ child care facilities, but I do deal w/ discipline of childcare providers as part of my job.  If this person worked in a government run facility, they would have been fired.  No ifs, ands or buts. 

I would not send the child back there. Ever. I know it's inconvenient, but I would pull that child out of there instantly.  I suspect that the only reason you got a call is b/c the police were involved. I'm sure the person who runs the day care is great and responsible, but I wager that assistant would not have copped to  what they did had the police not been involved. 

I think you have less to worry about from roving child molesters [most people are nice and nomal] and much more to worry about w/ the current assistant and facility.  Even if the assistant gets fired, would you trust the owner to hire a better worker in their place? 

Granted keeping an eye on a child all.the.time. is virtually impossible, and it's one thing to not be able to do it 100% of the time when you personally are watching your child. But if you are paying someone to do it, then they darn well should do it.  That's why they have ratios and have more than 1 set of eyes on the kids at all times. It only takes 8 seconds for a child to get lost/stolen, so every second counts. GL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ALF, I was thinking the same thing about how unimpresseive I thought the call to mom right away was because of the police involvement. The director may have called immediately, anyway, but we'll never know.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I'm actually astounded that anyone would think one person could take 3 or 4 two year olds to a park. My son's desire to run off often trumps his ability to comply, and he's quick as lightening. The other day we were at a park with chain link fencing. he was up and over it in a flash.
    I think both the daycare provider and the assistant made huge errors of judgement here thinking one person could handle it.  I fenced off an area of my back yard and bought a swingset and slide for my kids so they could safely play outside everyday. They should too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsBride. Show BsBride's posts

Well, I met with them last night. They fired the assistant immediately. I do feel bad for her, she was otherwise gerat and the kids all loved her, but this could have been a real tragedy so she had to go. The daycare owners were really upset, they were crying when I met with them. I don't think I'll ever really know what happened, the assistant was sobbing too hard to tell them the whole story. So, good points are that they are taking this seriously, fired the assistant and basically said whatever I need them to do or change so I feel my kids are safe they will do. I said I certainly don't want them leaving the house or enclosed yard for the foreseeable future, they agreed they won't be taking any kids anywhere.
    So, here are the remaining concerns. I thought the assitant had maybe three kids with her. She had six. By her self, on a two block walk to a playground that  is not completely fenced in. She was pushing the two youngest (16 months and almost 14 months) in a double stroller, and the other 4 kids were walking. I just can't fathom how they think that is a safe situation. I told them I don't think it was necessarily the assistant, though of course she should have been paying more attention, I think it was the situation, that's just too many kids for one person to be taking out of the house. They explained that the law allows for one person to care for up to six kids. I know what the law says, I don't care if they were techinically following the law, I care that in real life, that is too many kids.
    I asked about moving him upstairs, but they have six up there no and apparently got rid of the assistants and only the owner is with the six of them. So now that's an additional concern. Four of those six kids are 3 or older, then there's a ten month old and my four month old. I'm afraid my little one is kinda just sitting in a bouncy seat the whole day while she is with the older kids.

So now I don't  know what to do. If they just agreed that six is way too many for one person to handle outside the house I would feel better, but they are adament that they can handle it.  The other factor is, I can work mostly from home, so I'm considering just finding a babysitter instead. The problem is, I don't have a steady schedule of when I need to be out of the house. I'm an attorney, doing personal injury and family law. The PI stuff I can do from home without requiring too much brain power really, but the family law cases involve long court days. So I would need to find someone who could be very flexible with days and times.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsBride. Show BsBride's posts

Oh, another concern. They asked me to keep quiet.  My cousin's son goes to the same daycare, he is the almost 14 month old that was in the stroller. They asked me not to tell her, because then word would spread and they don't want to upset the other parents. I get that they don't want to panick people, and maybe have privacy issues regarding the firing on an employee, but then again I feel like my cousin has a right to know. Some of the kids are like 3 or 4, I can't imagine they won't mention to their parents that they saw a police officer, or that the assistant was crying and then left. And they'll all notice the assistant isn't there anymore. If this happened at your daycare to another child, would you want to know?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I thought the law in MA was 4 *toddlers* to 1 adult?  That the ratio could only increase when the kids were over 2.9 years.  Or perhaps that is just my daycare's policy.  But I thought they told us that was the law.  I'm sure others here know.

I'm sorry it's all been so upsetting.  Did you choose a home daycare over a center because they offered more flexible hours?

ETA: I think it's cr*appy that they told you to "keep quiet."  You don't need to take an add out in the paper, but this is something that happened to YOU and my opinion is that you can talk about it to whomever you like.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Hi BsBride.  I'm so sorry that this happene to you.  That is so scary and I can't imagine what you must be feeling.  I agree with everyone else's posts about asking some tough questions about procedures and ratios.  I just read your update and I think that you definitely got the answers you were looking for - and now it is up to you to decide if you are comfortable with how this was handled.  If it were me, I think I would take my kids out of that daycare.  Before reading your update, I was on the fence, but their rationale about "legally" being able to take 6 kids out with only 1 adult just floored me!  I have a 25-month old daughter and she is NEVER allowed to walk on any street, driveway, sidewalk, parking lot or anywhere like that without holding an adult's hand at all times.  At that age, they are too quick.  They run first and think later.  No amount of calling after them is going to make them stop in their tracks. I think it is just irresponsible and unrealistic of your daycare director to think that this is a safe ratio for your children.  It simply is not and they are not using common sense in my opinion - and seeing as they stood their ground on the 6:1 ratio, it seems like they didn't truly learn their lesson from what happended yesterday and that is what would scare me the most.  Doesn't matter that they fired the assistant... the next one they hire will be allowed to do the same thing.  If it were me, I would look into a flexible babysitter or another center.  Good luck.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsBride. Show BsBride's posts

In Response to Re: CT or others, daycare concern, what would you do?:
    [QUOTE]I'm actually astounded that anyone would think one person could take 3 or 4 two year olds to a park. My son's desire to run off often trumps his ability to comply, and he's quick as lightening. The other day we were at a park with chain link fencing. he was up and over it in a flash. I think both the daycare provider and the assistant made huge errors of judgement here thinking one person could handle it.  I fenced off an area of my back yard and bought a swingset and slide for my kids so they could safely play outside everyday. They should too.
    Posted by misslily[/QUOTE]

The crazy thing is, they have a big fenced in yard with TWO swingsets, one geared towards babies/toddlers and one for older kids. They have a long driveway where they block off the end and let kids rides tricycles, there's lots to do right there at the house, so there was no need to go that far.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

What concerns me is that you were asked to keep quiet.  I'm friendly with a lot of the moms at my DS's daycare center.  We talk ALL THE TIME about things going on there.

I think the daycare center is asking for a load of trouble by asking you to keep quiet.  If I were another parent at your center and I heard about this incident from someone besides the owner/director, I'd be very worried about why this was being kept from me.  I understand the owner's worried about his business/reputation, but it's shady to me that you've been asked not to speak about it.

DS's daycare had some sort of alarm triggered last year and the center was evacuated (something about a vent and an odor).  I had an email within an hour of the center being set to rights.  And it's because kids talk to their parents and parents talk to other parents.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

So they've agreed to only keep the kids in their fenced yard right? If so, I'd keep the kids in the current situation until you find something better. If it were me, I'd be on the phone with a million day cares today to find something that I felt comfortable with. And hopefully have a new place for the kids in the next week or two. 

And it's super sketchy that they don't want you to tell anyone about it! That's the part that makes me feel really uncomfortable. (and the 6:1 ratio outside of the house.) They should be informing all of their parents that a incident happened with another child and the assistant and that's why she left unexpectedly. If they are not willing to be truthful to other parents with the basic information, what else are they not sharing. Granted, they should be careful not to divulge too much information, but a simple statement saying there were real concerns they acted quickly on, is appropriate. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fakinbacon. Show fakinbacon's posts

I'm not a parent yet, so you can take this with a grain of salt. But my personal opinion is,  I'm all about second chances.  Kids are kids, and with the appropriate response, much like Kiwi's situations, it may have been okay to keep your kids there.  And to me that would depend on how they handled the situation.

However, what you told me does not, in any way, make me feel like they are doing everything to keep your babies safe.  From insisting on one person being able to take care of 6 children because it's the "law" to saying they'll do whatever you want, then tell you they can't do whatever you want really. What you are wondering about your 4 month old raises eyes and if they are watching other toddlers and a 10 month old, how can they possibly pay attention to a 4 month old?  That's the easiest child to leave alone for longest periods of time. Also, why did they fire the other assistant upstairs?  Did something happen to him/her too that you don't know about because they wanted that parent to keep quiet too? Why the decrease in enrollment upstairs?  And, keep quiet? Seriously? 

A responsible company/business - be it mom & pop or Tylenol (famous case study from the 80's about someone poisoning Tylenol tablets at stores, and Tylenol being one of the first companies to make something like this very public, thus earning the trust they still have from the public to today) should inform all of the parents of what happened, their follow through, changes etc, then insist that they are handling everything appropriately and responsibly.  It's a mistake, mistakes happen, and customers have the right to change their behavior based on the response.  If they are great, they would lose no clients, but I just don't know.  You've raised a lot of red flags.

I personally would not let them stay another day at the facility.  It's sad, and a pain in the neck for you, but goodness what else could happen when someone isn't watching?  The caretakers are only human too, and have their human needs.  And, I would certainly tell your cousin.  Just think about how you would feel if it happened to her and she didn't tell you?  I'm sure you'd be disappointed in her.

I'm sorry this happened to you.  It's very scary but I'm also happy he's perfectly okay!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Bs - Initially I was thinking the situation might not be that bad, as long as this was the first such occurrence... Now I would find a new daycare.  It is so sketchy that they don't want the other parents to know and that they think 6:1 is acceptable at a playground.  My provider sometimes takes the kids out in a 4 or 6 person stroller, but as far as I know she doesn't let the kids out.  (Will have to ask now!)  She uses the awesome playground in her own backyard.  I agree with you - why do they even feel the need to go to a different playground?? 

Good luck!!  It sounds like they are willing to accommodate for now, so I hope you can take a couple weeks to find something you're more comfortable with.

Poppy - Home daycares are allowed the 6:1 ratio, but there are caveats.  I forget exactly what they are, but something like only 3 children can be under 18 months and one of them has to be able to walk.  I'm going to have to look this up to remind myself!  (Maybe the idea is that if there were an emergency, the provider could only hold 2 children, so the rest have to be able to walk.)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

The law may say a 6 to 1 ratio - but I don't think that means outside on a public street. I assume that means inside the facility.
    I would never go back to somewhere I had been asked to "keep quiet." It's not your responsibility to hide this incident from any other parent - especially the relative who has a child there.
    I'm sorry this happened to you and I'm glad everyone is okay. But these people aren't qualified to take care of kids. No one can take care of six kids alone walking on a public street to and from a playground. Anyone who thinks they can is crazy and has no business taking care of kids.
    And tough luck to the assistant. She should have never said yes to taking 6 kids out like that. She put herself and those children in an unsafe situation. Period.
    Again - I'm so glad your children are safe.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

I was on the fence to until you mentioned they want you to keep quiet and I dont think I would feel comfortable with 6 kids to 1 adult out at a playground.  If those are the facilities rules, then this could happen again. 

If I was a parent of another child and I found out this happened and the daycare did not tell me I would be outraged.   And I know for sure, if my 3 yo DD saw a police man she would def tell me she saw one for the pure fact kids love police and fire men.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Bs, I haven't read the whole thread, so maybe someone already addressed this, but I thought ratios were based on the youngest child in the room.  So if there are any infants in the upstairs program, the ratios should be based on the infant/provider ratios which would be 3 children to 1 provider.  With 4-7 children, there need to be 2 providers when an infant is there.  There are more experts on this on these boards like CT, so you may want to double check as I could be off. 
    As for the older kids, I think 1 teacher with a stroller for only 2 children with 6 kids totally is ludicrous.  Maybe 6 kids is fine in a classroom or in an on-site, fenced in playground.  But if she is walking them to a playground, first of all they should be in a 6person stroller OR there should be another adult to hold hands or a long rope... no way she can control that many children safely. Also, that is far too many children for her to watch on a non-fenced playground.  What if there was an emergency?  Is it a playground that is even approved for 2 year olds? 
    Bs, I'm so sorry you had to go through this.  I hope you can find some answers and reassurances.  I'm not one to flat out tell other people what to do, but this is giving me bad vibes from the amount of kids with one teacher, the ratios upstairs, and the asking you not to talk to other families.  I would strongly consider switching providers.  At least you have the reassurance that they won't be leaving the property anymore.  Best of luck!

ETA: Now in reading other posts, I am wondering if my understanding of ratios is based on daycare CENTERS not HOME daycares, but again, those ratios in that upstairs program still sound not quite right to me. 
    The other thing that got me was how young some of the kids going to this playground were - 14mos?  First of all, that is an infant by state standards, so again, not sure if those ratios are accurate for 1 provider/6 children.  But most playgrounds have postings of ages that the playground is designed for... Do I as a parent let me 17m old on a playground for 2-5 year olds when I am with her.... of course, b/c I can follow her around the entire time!  But, if my daycare provider was doing that, I would hope that the parents of the 14m old know what the age range for the playground is.  There is no way that assistant teacher can follow around a teetering/toddling 14m old while also watching 5 other toddler/preschoolers on a non-fenced playground that may or may not be safely designed for those age ranges.  It is the judgment of this daycare's director that is concerning me - this incident is bringing some questionable judgmets to light.  Again, so sorry you had to go through this, Bs!  I hope I don't sound overly critical of the situation, but I just can't stop thinking about it.  How scary!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

I agree about the whole "keep it quiet"... that makes me question if they have done other things that are borderline and just not told you/other parents. I do not know MA laws... but when someone says "keep it quiet" and when they have already fired other assistants, that to me is a red flag.

I know you loved the daycare, but your child's safety has to come first. It was safety concerns - for much less minor safety concerns - that prompted us to pull our DS out of his old daycare into a new daycare. We had loved his teacher from the old one but we also knew we did not want to spend every day wondering if he was going to be injured (biting, kicked, sun-burned etc) and dealing with the high teacher turnover (which in retrospect, was a sign something was off kilter with that place).

That whole "we can do this legally" means nothing - and when that is used as a way to justify something like taking so many toddlers out alone, that would scare me to death - it is not the assistant but how the daycare operator allows that... it was the director and her behaviour that prompted us to leave the old one - they staffed and did things to our state minimum (which is worse than MA) and we did not feel that would be safe or good for our DS. It does not matter, in my opinion, how well the teachers manages the class, it takes one oversight. 

And we avoided even looking at one daycare that was on a busy road and one toddler was found along the roadside (with cars zipping at 60 mph, which is the speed limit) because he escaped through the wooden fence that had a board loose, and no one in the daycare noticed his absence. I did not care if they re-fenced that whole playground to prevent that, I did not want to sit at work worrying and then be thrilled to find DS in one piece at the end of the day. Since that one hit our local paper (a driver stopped, got the child and called the police), it was pretty public.

Honestly, with the flexible schedule... I am not sure how the options are in your area. But since we scrambled to get DS into a new daycare for more minor safety concerns than this, if this had happened to us, we would have immediately refused to take our kids back and found some way to manage until we found a new solution.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I haven't said anything because most of my thoughts were reflected in the other posters- but your update struck me... as an attorney, did they do something for you that they may not have done for another parent? Is that why they are not notifying the other families?  that part feels really icky to me.  this honestly feels like one of those really personal "trust" types of decisions. If you will always doubt the safety of your children, then it really doesn't matter if they are following the spirit of the law or the letter of the law or whatever.

I looked up the regs and got the info below off a website. it made me wonder if the assistant is actually allowed to be separate from the lead teacher. I cut out all of the education requirments on the website, so there is more to read if you are interested.  good luck with your decision. 

CHILD CARE CENTERS are licensed by the state and must meet minimum health, safety, and staffing requirements: Group size is regulated in Massachusetts by the Department of Early Education and Care (EEC): INFANTS (0-15 months): One adult for first 3 children, and another for the next 4, in groups no larger than 7. TODDLERS (15-33 months): One adult for first 4 children, and another for the next 5, in groups no larger than 9. PRESCHOOLERS (2.9-5 years): One adult for every 10 children, in groups no larger than 20.  FAMILY CHILD CARE is provided in the home of a person licensed by the state to care for children in her home. Family Child Care providers are licensed by EEC for three years at a time. The provider’s home must also be licensed, and is inspected before a license is approved. SINGLE PROVIDER: Maximum of 6 children at any one time Of the six children, only 2 can be under 15 months of age (infants) Of the six, only 1 can be between 15-24 months of age, and only if walking by himself (toddler) All other children must be over 24 months of age This includes provider’s own children under age 10, who are in the home more than 3 hrs/day  LARGE FAMILY CHILD CARE: Maximum of 10 children at one time. Of the ten children, three can be under 15 months of age (infants) Of the ten, two can be between 15-24 months of age, and only if walking independently (toddler) All other children must be over 24 months of age If a provider has an approved assistant, he/she may have up to six children of any age, only when assistant is present This includes provider’s own children under the age of 10, who are in the home more than 3 hrs/day

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

BS-I'm happy to hear your kid is safe but I'm sorry your family had to go through this experence.  I'm a soon to be mom and I'm not sure what I would do if that happen to me.

As far as keeping it quite, that's really not their place to request that from you.  I know that in my town if the police are involved , it would be listed in the public police log.  As the day care owner I would rather the parents hear me rather then read it on a police log. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

First of all, I'm glad your kiddo is OK.  It must have been incredibly upsetting for everyone involved.
    Second, Tomarra makes a great point about the police log.

I was also reading through this wondering if there isn't some kind of mandatory reporting to the state for an incident like this.
    I can't get on the official MA website (possibly down because we are all searching for the ratio rules... heh.)  But I found another website that has what looks to me like the correct set of regulations, here: http://nrckids.org/STATES/MA/massachusetts.htm
    It's the standards of licensure.  This document has a 2010 date; not sure if there is a more recent version.

Anyway, 7.04(15) has a list of things that they are mandated to report.  There's nothing specifically about losing track of a kid, but there is one about police activity.  It could be a loophole because it says it's for an "incident on the childcare premises" and they were off the premises.  But frankly, I would think it qualifies.  And the police did go to the premises.

I'm not trying to totally hose your provider (I'm sure they feel terrible and I really do feel for them) but it seems to me to be misguided of them to try to cover it up.  If they don't report it and it ends up in the paper, it will be even worse for them.  And on your side, I wouldn't feel obligated to keep it quiet - that's up to you.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I was thinking the same thing as medford. I think these people should be reported to whatever agency in MA oversees daycares.
    I realize that they found out the hard way that they were doing something wrong, but I think it was so wrongheaded as to be practically criminal.
    Once your son had run away the assistant soon figured out that she had no way of looking for him without abandonning the other 5 kids. She was totally stuck. No wonder she was crying so hard she couldn't talk. But this is a totally forseeable consequence. There was no need for it to happen for any sane person to imagine it and realize that one person cannot oversee 6 toddlers who aren't secured in strollers, wagons or other carriers. Imagine if one child had run into someone's yard to pet a dog and while she was chasing him another ran into the street.
    I'm sure they will never do it again. But what else might they do. If they are this stupid they might be putting kids in danger in other ways.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I don't know of anyone personally, but know that South Shore Mama's has a list on their website. I also know that Magic beans (there is one in hingham in the derby street shoppes) had some sort of relationship with a referral service that does background searches- given your recent experience, I may stick with a professional service, even though there is a cost associated with most of them.

my company has a relationship with parents in a pinch to get us into work even when our kids are sick- I think that anyone can use them though.

good luck

Sections
Shortcuts