CT or others, daycare concern, what would you do?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Re: CT or others, daycare concern, what would you do?

Both my reading of the regulations and CT's post have me wondering:
    it seems like the max for even a "large" family daycare is 10 kids.  If they have two rooms of 6, are they veering into "center" territory?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

"  If they have two rooms of 6, are they veering into "center" territory? "  Yes, medford, I wonder about that, too - but what it's really doing is wandering into illegally operating territory... because you have to do completely OTHER things to be considered a center, and working alone with 6 kids ain't it!  (unless they are all 3 yrs and up, but that's not the case with this family childcare)

I suppose each provider could be licensed, herself, for 6 children, but use the same house?  But how would you always keep 6 in one room with 1 person, since children naturally woudl all want to do some things together (like all eat together).

Having 10 on the first floor with 2 providers (and following the rules) and then having another 6 with 1 provider on the 2nd floor might work, if it's a 2 family house, or a split level with a finished basement so that on the 1st level they would do everything (eat, play, diaper, potty, nap) and never use the 2nd floor?  And the 2nd floor kids would also do everything on their floor, and never the twain shall meet?

if that's not how it is, then I'd wonder (and ask) how they meet regulations?  How their license is?  You should ask to see it - at a childcare center our license is required to be posted where all can see it.  While this may not be required of a licensed family childcare home (I have no idea), it's not a bad thing to ask for the current license to see what it says. 

Be aware, if it's a few months outdated, fiind out why, as it might not be the provider's fault - when I lived and directed a center in MA many years ago they were ALWAYS late getting us the licenses, even after the visit - so the license would be outdated by about 2 months.  Happens routinely in DC, too, so frustrating! 

I wouldn't report a family childcare provider until I spoke with the provider to find out what was going on re: license, regulations, ratios, etc.

For everyone else who uses family childcare, this thread has probably all led you to ask your provider more in depth questions about how she takes the children outside, where they go, etc. etc.   And for those who are looking for childcare, these are great questions to ask.  In my opinion, childcare in a family childcare home can be fabulous (and have often wished I could chuck it all and just do family childcare in my home) but you do need to find out how a provider makes the 'all alone with 6 kids' thing work for her!  It works for many, many providers and children - but not for all. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I also wondered what she is going to do now with no assistant- she is clearly in violation after firing the assisant unless she found someone qualified before business opened the next day?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsBride. Show BsBride's posts

It is two separate programs. It's a husband and wife and a two family house, so two separate licenses. The reason I initially went with this one is the set up they have, not really like a typical family daycare. Each program has a playroom, separate sleeping/changing room and a kitchen. The family uses a couple other rooms on the first floor and finished basement as their personal non-daycare space. They have all their licensing posted downstairs, cubbies for the kids, sign in-out sheets. It almost looks like a small center, for the price of a family daycare, which is why I had loved it. They have been open seven years, I think they are getting complicent with the regulations after not having any incidents over the years, which is no excuse, especially when relaxing the rules puts kids in danger.
    The owner's sister works with them time to time and is licensed, so she filled in when they fired the assistant. Looks like they re-hired one of the former assistants from upstairs for the bigger downstairs program.
    I feel like for the moment they are safe, because this was a wake up call to them, but given their resistance to admit 6 kids is too many for one person to bring off the premises and asking me to keep quiet, I'm going to be looking into other daycare options.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Well, there you go, it IS a 2 family house, with 2 licenses.  Cool!  Just wish they wouldn't leave the premises, then it would be perfect!  remember, they have a large family childcare license on only one floor so that's the one where they MUST have 2 people (the one with 10 kids) - the one on the other floor has only 1 provider with 6 kids, and that's all legal.  Sounds like they are great with following those ratios and regs - I wish you could get them to see that 1:6 ratio with such wide age ranges isn't safe for both the walk and the actual being at the non-fenced playground. 

BsBride, it does sound like a great set-up, the kind I'd feel more comfortable with, too - where they consider it their profession/business vs. a lady taking care of kids "to stay home with her own." BUT the keeping quiet thing is a problem for me - the other families who were impacted (those with kids on the walk when your child wandered away) should have been told.  So that tells me 5 other parents should have been told.

The good news is that you do feel that the program is safe now, and I'd agree with you, it's just that they will leave the premises again when it all blows over, and that's the thing that's not safe.  Not the leaving, the 'how they leave' is what's unsafe. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

BsBride - if you are in Quincy and want another home childcare recommendation, I love my provider, and I know she is looking for more kids since many have left her - One family moved away, I have dropped to one day a week, another is going to preschool in the fall, I have had my daughter there since she was 11 weeks old, and I have been so happy with my situation. Let me know if you want any info.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsBride. Show BsBride's posts

Amy-lynn, I'd love the recommendation.
    I did end up telling my cousin about this, I know if she found out some other way she's be anger at me, and have every right to me - she needed to know. Our plan is now to go together to pick up the kids right as they are closing, and let them know that I told her what happened, and that we both think that a) there should be a policy of not leaving the house/yard without two adults at all times and b) other parents should be notified. I'll suggest a simple letter to the other parents - briefly describe the situation without naming the kid, say the parents were immediately notified, the assistant terminated, and here are the new policies to ensure this doesn't happen again, and end with offering to meet with any parent who has additional concerns. I think parents would appreciate being notified and won't necessarily lead to everyone panicking and pulling their kids out.  Their reaction to this will help me determine where to go from here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

BSsBride - I requested you as a friend so I can send you the info in a private message - not sure what you have to do next, but if it doesn't work, let me know.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsBride. Show BsBride's posts

My cousin and I spoke with the daycare owners together yesterday. They agreed to write the letter letting other parents know what happened. They said they were thinking about doing it anyways, not sure if that is true, but they seemed receptive to my suggestions on what the letter should say. One of the kids did say to his mother that the assistant was crying a lot, and then the next day most of the parents and kids were asking where the assistant went, so I think thw owners telling everyone what happened is really necessary. Otherwise they are likely to be wondering what happened and feel uneasy that they are being left in the dark. They also finally agreed that six kids with one adult just isn't safe outside the house or enclosed backyard. So I feel much better now. My poor son has been saying the assistant went bye bye for the past couple days, he loved her so much. I would say 'do you love mommy", "no" do you love daddy" "no" Do you love (assistant)" "yeah!"   I'm just heartbroken. I wish Tuesday never happened.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Awww Bs, I'm so sorry to hear how much your DS loved the assistant.  He'll feel better soon!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Oh Bs I am so sorry for what you have been through.

I honestly can't believe that a 6:1 ratio is considered safe or is legal.  I have two kids of my own and barely feel that I can keep them safe and they are mine!  Having both at home at the same time (3 months and 21 months) I feel like I am constantly neglecting someone's immediate need.  I am stunned by that ratio.

Sections
Shortcuts