Daycare costs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Daycare costs

DH & I are starting to thinking about having kids. I'd like to start living on a budget that factors in the cost of daycare just to get use to it and make sure that this is something we can actually afford. I have absolutely no idea how much the average weekly cost would be. Yes, I realize I could probably just call some places and that the cost will likely vary depending on where you go but can anyone give me an idea as to what daycare for an infant might cost? If it helps at all we live in Worcester county.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from culhasa. Show culhasa's posts

Re: Daycare costs

Big factor is whether you want a small home run daycare or a big center.  We are in a big center and live north of Boston and an infant is approx $420 a week.  It gets cheaper as they age.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Also big center... younger toddler room (14mth old) at 3 full days a week is $256.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

Big center - five days a week - in the Metro West area.  Infant room was $376/week, Toddler room is running around $357/week.  Toddler room includes breakfast, two snacks, and lunch.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Thanks ladies, this helps a lot. It's also very scary, wow.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

Small daycare center (they are a mother-daughter run center with 2 locations) for 5 days a week in Southboro was something like $380/wk and the toddler room is $340/week. That includes diapers, wipes, lunch (sandwiches and fruit), milk, snacks and jar baby food. It is a bit of sticker shock!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sally2340. Show Sally2340's posts

My son is in a small home run day care center 1/2 hour north of Boston. We pay $50/day. (She charges the same amount regardless of age of child).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, Northern!  GL with everything - I'm sure you and DH are up for all the challenges.  I can't help with the daycare question, but wanted to say hi, anyway. :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

If you want to compare costs in your area without having to call a bunch of places, try this site: http://www.childcarecircuit.org/ -- I used it to find my daycare provider (a home daycare that's $65/day).

Good for you thinking so far ahead! I really didn't have a sense of what childcare cost until I got pregnant!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Thanks for the link Arcain. Yea, I'm a bit of a planner when it comes to these sorts of things. I know about what we put into our savings each month so I was trying to compare that vs what daycare could cost us seeing how we're doing. Not even close lol.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Medium-sized center in one of the neighborhoods of Boston is $410/week for infant care.

We pay monthly for both children (infant and toddler) and it's quite shocking to write those checks. The combined payments are a couple of hundred dollars more than our mortgage per month. Eek. DH and I are looking forward to the days when we get that money "back" in our budget for other things!

ETA:Infant care is the toughest if you are looking for a center. The student/teacher ratios are low and there are typically far fewer slots compared to toddlers, so those spots come at a premium.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Hi... Im in Worcester and we selected a home daycare (owner & one asst) with 10 kids ... $200/week regardless of age.  I was finding that home daycares in the Worcester area (we looked from Worcester to Northboro along 290) were ranging from $200-$300/week for full time.  I did not look at centers in the Worcester area, but the Bright Horizons in Boxborough was ~$2000/month for fulltime, 9hr days, for an infant. 

There were lots of factors in where we ultimately chose, but the lower cost of home daycare certainly was a big factor.  The one we chose does lots of activities (owner has a lesson plan, etc and makes it a point that her kids are ready for kindergarten at age 5), ages range 0-5, and there are 2 full time adults with the kids, so I felt it was comparable to the care and level of "enrichment" activities that the centers were offering with the added stability of having the same 2 caregivers for the whole 5 years we'd be there.

I will say it was challenging to find a home daycare that could accommodate the hours we needed (7a-6p, really 7:30-5:30 but included enough buffer for work/traffic issues) .. but I found 2 options with available slots and would have been happy with either. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Right now DD is in daycare 3 full days a week and it's $270/week.  She's still in the infant room...goes down a little when she moves to toddler. 

We went with a center b/c I liked the longer hours, and because a lot of home daycares I looked at wouldn't do part-time. 

Kiwi, your kids are somewhere in W. Rox, right? We're looking for new daycare for the spring/summer, hoping to be moving in that direction. Would love to hear where you go and where else you looked if you're comfortable sharing!  I've started the hunt...gone to Kids Club and Willow Path for tours...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Luv, Yup we're in WR. Right now things are a bit complicated, but we have DS #1 (2.2 years) at Kids Stop at the Y and DS#2 (10 weeks at Kids  Club. (You can image how often DH and I get those confused!).

DS #1 was at Kids Club for a year and we were generally happy with the program, but decided to move him this past September, mostly for issues of cost (knowing that we'd have two) and vacation schedules (which Kids Club has subsequently changed). We are REALLY happy with Kids Stop at the Y. DS joined a newly-opened toddler room and his teachers are simply wonderful, especially helping with his eating issues. We love that Kids Stop utilizes WR resources--the kids have gone to the fire station to meet the firemen and "touch a truck", they go to story time at the library (even met the mayor a couple of weeks back), went trick or treating at the Centre St. businesses for Halloween, etc. And, as the kids move to preschool, swimming lessons are included as part of the program. DH serves on the parent council and there's lots of opportunity for parents and families to be involved with the program.

There are currently no infant spots at Kids Stop, so DS#2 is at Kids Club. They were happy to have us back as parents, even though we had moved DS #1. There are 3 very caring infant teachers, including one who was with DS#1 so we felt very comfortable putting our tiny one there (at only 9 weeks because I had to use part of my maternity leave when I was put on bed rest for the last 5 weeks of my pg). The new director (in place about 6 months) is very experienced and really, really responsive to parents. And, as you've seen, the facilities are spotless. When DS was there as an toddler, there were lots of art activities and lots of special days--clowns, farm animals, etc.

Eventually we'll need to make a choice because it's untenable long-term to have the 2 in different places, but we're going with this for now. I'd be happy to answer any other questions (or connect off BDC if we can figure out how to do that).

ETA: Our situation is complicted, too, because we only have one car which I take to work. (DH is self-employed and works from home.) So, our choices had to be within a reasonable walking distance for him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Kiwi, Thank you!  The Y was on my list to check out.  And glad to hear the good feedback on the Kids Club director...I got a good vibe from her, and we've been emailing back and forth for about a month as I figure out what we're doing.  We'll see!  We're also hoping/planning for #2, so the cost does factor in, too. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

luv--I am happy to give you more pro's and con's of each place once you get closer to making a decision. (I'd be much more blunt off-line just because you never know who is reading these boards...;)

Also worth a check, one of our neighbors has her 2.5 year old at the Lighthouse place at the Arabic Evangelical Church across from the VA Hospital. She's happy and says the price is very reasonable. They do have infant-care, but it usually fills up with parishioners' children.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hi Northern!!
    We live north of Boston and send DD to a home day care 5 days a week for $225/week.  Had to search long and hard because most day cares in the area charged $300/week.  Needless to say, saving is a thing of the past!  We're working on it though!

ETA: Everything is included in that cost, except for diapers and formula.  The day care provides the wipes, diaper cream, purees, cereal, mum mums... Nothing else has been needed yet, but those are the things she has provided so far!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Kiwi, I just did the Boston.com version of "Friending" you...not sure how that works exactly.  Would love to hear more!!

In Response to Re: Daycare costs:
    [QUOTE]luv--I am happy to give you more pro's and con's of each place once you get closer to making a decision. (I'd be much more blunt off-line just because you never know who is reading these boards...;) Also worth a check, one of our neighbors has her 2.5 year old at the Lighthouse place at the Arabic Evangelical Church across from the VA Hospital. She's happy and says the price is very reasonable. They do have infant-care, but it usually fills up with parishioners' children.
    Posted by kiwigal[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

NL, I did the same thing once we were considering TTC.  I used the Mass EEC website and did a search in our zip code and surrounding places.  Some of the daycares list their prices and other require you to call.  I just looked at the ones that listed prices to get a better idea of what it would cost.

We are on the Cape and it seems that daycare costs are significantly lower down there, thank god.  We're looking at $125-200 a week for an infant in a home daycare

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

I pay $363 a week in Melrose. We chose a center because of the long hours and the convenience of the location to the T and our house. One thing that I didn't take into consideration when doing our baby planning budget was to deduct from our entertainment budget. A friend reminded me of this fact and when I took out concerts/shows, happy hours, dinners out, a hotel stay etc, I was amazed at how much we actually spent on that stuff and we're pretty budget oriented people.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Why would you deduct all "entertainment expenses"? Every single person I know who has kids and who works does takeout at least 1x per week.  I would adjust your entertainment expenses, but don't eliminate them entirely just b/c your plan tincludes you cutting back and staying home every night.   You are eventually going to leave the house for lunch, dinner, to visit people [and need that hotel stay], etc, so adjust accordingly, but don't eliminate. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

We pay about $250/week for our toddler in a center in Boston.  It is subsidized by my husband's employer though, so it is a bit more reasonable that the "name brand" centers downtown. 

One thing to consider if you are budgeting... you can assume you'll be going to less happy-hours and less "nice" dinners out once the baby arrives.  But don't forget to add back in what you will spend on stuff for the baby.  The cost of diapers, wipes, baby food, formula (if you go that route), all add to our regular grocery bill.  Never mind all the gear, clothes, and random stuff that kids need.  In my opinion, taking out all the pre-baby entertainment stuff is kind of a wash when you add back in all that other stuff for the baby. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

the other budgeting consideration is that up to $5000 worth of child care per year can be put into a dependent care FSA so you are paying with pre-tax dollars.  Not a huge amount... but every bit adds up ... might mean saving something vs. nothing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

I didn't mean deduct all just decuct from. I was so busy adding to the expense side of the budget that I didn't reasonably take anything out. There were a lot of savings due to just the change in my time as well. Because I have a shortened work week but a full work load, my time at work is priceless (except Friday postings to a message board!). No more meeting friends for lunch or random pedicures. Although my Dunkin Donuts expense went up significantly!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

All good things to consider. Although our monthly take-out/entertainment budget is $75 which isn't a huge expense but again, something to consider. My DH does go out quite often for lunch so as a trade off he's asked me to buy more items he can take for lunch to save him money. It'll add to our grocery budget but cut back on his spending. It's all give and take I suppose. Also, I just looked at the EEC website and I am finding prices that aren't nearly as expensive which makes me feel a little bit better.

Sections
Shortcuts