December - Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Re: December - Infants and Toddlers

ML-DS has always loved sitting for books, especially at that age. However, his pedi just asked at his 3 year check up if he could sit for books-so I don't think they start to really look for ADD until kids are older. I also fill out lots of survey's for day care and the pedi to see if there are any behavior issuse or delays and sitting for a book is never one of hte questions.

Your DD might just have a lot of stuff to look at and do!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

You may find she will sit when she is older. How is she when you read at home?

DS is 15.5 months - and it is only today that we noticed he would actually sit for the whole book of "Little Blue Truck Leads the Way" at home... before today, usually after 2-3 pages, he would bounce up and move around. We were just keeping out short board books that encouraged some interaction (lift the flap books were great) since that was all he had the attention span for, but we would occasionally try slightly longer books, and just put it back on the table when he had enough of the book.

We found lift the flap books were the best to read for a long while - they were short, simple and kids could play with the flaps (we have a few flaps that ripped so we just taped them back on), and now we are mixing the lift the flap books with ones that do not have any flaps, and he is only interested in the ones with lots of short repetitions (like Dear Zoo and Where's Spot?) or with a rhythm (he loves Little Blue Truck as long as we read it in a sing-song voice - he will sit for the whole book when we do that).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

PS> If we were to go someplace like the library or storytime at a bookstore, I definitely know DS won't sit for a whole book - he likes to explore and roam in new places all the time. He usually seems to do best on focusing on books or mega bloks when it is quiet at home and we are in one of his play areas.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

ML - Zoe is not great at sitting and attending.  She likes to be doing.  So the best books for her are the ones where she's actively involved, like pointing at things or making animal noises.  If I try to actually read a storybook to her, I have to read like a record-player on the fast setting before she forces me to turn the page!  Even then we only get through maybe 3 or 4 pages before she slams the book to the ground (she is not the most gentle creature). 

How active is the story-time?  It could just be she'd be better suited to a really active group activity, like Music Together, etc.

I worry about attention with her because both DH and I struggle with that.  I think it's probably in her cards to have some attention issues.  But I've noticed that although she isnt' ready to sit and hear a long story, she will do something like take the pretend food out of the her little shopping cart, pile it on the floor (or on me) and then meticulously put it all back in... over and over for 20 minutes or more.  So I feel like she can attend and focus, just is better when it's active.

Hi Nene!  Welcome back!  I hear you on the power of "no".  Misslily pointed out to me that I probably should have also taught her "yes".  Oops!  :)  We're working on that now.  But it does crack me up when DD will cheerfully say "No!" and shake her head, no matter what the question is.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Speaking of books, I have a really hard time getting DD to even consider glancing at a new, unfamiliar book.  She will slap it right out of my hands.  Sometimes I hold it at arms length away and MAKE her look at some of it with me, but she is usually struggling to get to it the whole time.  Is this normal? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

As for ADHD or ADD diagnosis.  It's not something that doctor's usually touch on until Kindergarten.  My son is ADHD and that is when he received his diagnosis.  As was explained to me, a child will focus on things they like (in my son's case that's playing with his DS, or playing sports, etc., he's 11).  It's the stuff like school work or sitting still in Church, etc., that is the hardest for them.  I get it as I had/have ADD myself growing up, but it was a totally different world than.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Ladies, thank you SO much for your insights. She does not read entire books at home either, we usually make it about halfway through a book before she's off doing other things. Poppy, your post made me think - we have lots of books, but we do alot of reading and looking at them every day and DH and I, at least, are sick of them. Maybe DD is tired of the same books too and we need to switch them up at bit more?

KAM and Cwagner, thanks for the reassurance that she is easily in the range!

Story hour is generally very calm, maybe 3-4 babies are there ranging in age from 14-17 months, and DD is the only one running circles around the library - like someone said, she isn't being destructive or anything, she's just very busy and needs to check everything out.

She does sit still more during Music together or something similar that is more active. That's probably just the way she is, and how she's going to be, better active than sitting.

I'm not running out to make an ADD diagnosis or anything, just wondering where she was in the range. It will be something to obsess on in the coming years!

Lilly - Do you recall some of the things the therapist had your son doing that increased his attention span? If it's simple things I can do at home, I would like to do them for her!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

ML, I like the other posts pointing out that the kids will sit still more for things that are their particular interests.
    And I *really* like your point about being tired of books.  We recently took a bunch of books we were sick of out of the book bin (just because it was overflowing) and we didn't look them for a few weeks.  I got one out yesterday and it was one she originally liked but wouldn't tolerate just recently, but she wanted to read it again and again.  So I think there's a lot to be said for a rotating selection.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

DS (15 months) really liked books and will bring them to me all the time to read. But they are short one sentence or less per page.  If it is more than that he gets bored and as someone mentioned just tries to turn the page.  He will however have me read a book like 4 times in a row and just sit in my lap the whole time.

He is not one to just sit in our house and flip through books on his own but if we go to someone elses house and they have different books he will sit and flip through them forever.  So I agree selection and changing it up can totally make a difference.  Marshalls has great books on sale if your looking to add to your collection.  We purchased a few for xmas.

When it comes to his toys DS is all over the place.  Play with one toy throw it down and move on to the next in what seems like seconds.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

rotating both books and toys is a wonderful thing. I have a great big plastic bin that I fill with stuff once a month and put away. Then next month I get out all the toys and books in the bin and fill it with other ones. Presto! What's old is new again and my two love it.
    I only wish I had made up a story about Santa taking away all the "baby toys" when he brings new ones on Sunday. My DD still likes to play with teethers and other baby things. She doesn't teethe on them - it's just a collection of stuff she totes around - but it's maddening trying to keep up with "where is the red ring? I can't find it"
    Merry Christmas everyone!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Happy holidays to all of you and your families!  I hope all big and little folk have a wonderful weekend!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Oh - and this might amuse you: my friend walked in to the living room last evening to find her 16 month old son sitting watching the spanish playboy channel, which he had ordered with the remote.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

...baby genius....ordering playboy all by himself! :)

Happy Holidays everyone!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

and, bilingual, too!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

TGIF!! Merry Christmas everyone! I am so relieved this week is over, teaching 20 5 y o this week was no easy feat! I'll actually be able to check in next week! A tease of what it would be like to be a SAHM. Hope Santa is good to you all!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Best to everyone and your LOs!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

ML- she comes and plays with him. One toy at a time out of her "bag of tricks". She was also working on speech with him so he had to ask or sign for things.  And if we did a puzzle for example she would ask if he wanted to do it again or do something else. he has to answer either "more" or "all done". Now he has to say "more puzzle" or "all done puzzle". Then if he's all done he has to help clean up and put away before we go to the next thing.
    She does the same thing with bubbles - blows one for him to catch and then says "more or all done?" and he has to answer.
    We've only had one day where he literaly got up and walked away to look out the window - and I think it was a day he woke up totally grumpy from nap anyway.
    So try and engage one thing at a time and then clean up before moving on.  NOt all day - you would both go crazy - but for 45 minutes or so you might try it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

I hope everyone had a nice holiday.  DS enjoyed playing with the toys but no interest in opening anything.  My brother, SIL and niece came up and she is a year older then DS and it was so cool to see how into Christmas she was.  So next year should be interesting!

Its been nice being home this week with DS.  Though last night he started coughing and today it continued so we may be taking a trip to the pedi.  I did call and they said watch for a fever and wheezing.  I think his throat hurts when he coughs sometimes because sometimes he cries after coughing.  I feel so bad!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Sounds like stuff is going around...DS is pretty sick..Dr. said it sounds like RSV b/c he is wheezing. Any of your LO's had RSV. I know it's a virus and not much I can do about it. The dr. said the symptoms can peak at day 5-7. Wonderful, if it is RSV sounds like he is going to be sick for a while..  Happy New Year to us. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

ugh.  We've been in the throes of a nasty stomach bug here.  DH of course only had a momentary disturbance in the force (as he put it). The man never gets sick and when he does he gets better quickly.  DD was the carrier monkey, she was sick first.  She's pretty much over it now.  I'm still sick, after caring for them both while they were sick of course.  I think because I'm pregnant it's hitting me harder. 
    I just got her to sleep and I'm pushing fluids a bit before I to go to sleep.  I kept some white rice down so I'm probably on the mend. 

Well, 'tis the season.
    Happy New Year, all.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

MissLily, I tried this today while I was at home and was delighted with the results. DH and I have agreed a 1/2 hour of focused play like you recommended is in order for the foreseeable future!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

So glad I could be of help! :)
    BTW  -she does it with books too.  But she doesn't just read them - she points to things and says "where's the monkey" or "what is he doing" Your LO may not speak yet, but you can say "Find the tree" and see if you get a response or some pointing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Hope everyone had nice holidays!  Lissa, feel better.  A stomach bug is THE WORST.
    We all have bad colds here, with the LO a faucet nose and lots of waking up at night because she gets so clogged up and unhappy.  Husband just took her to the dr for an ear check / lung check... I suspect her ears will be fine, but I'm wondering about the RSV you guys mentioned.  It seems like she got worse a few days in.  We'll try to roll with it, but it's a  bummer because this was our big family time week.  :(

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

We took DS and DD to the doctors on Monday-both have ear infections and DD has broncholitis...as the doctor put it they have "holiday ear infections." I swear, my family has been sick every holiday for hte past 3 years. Fun stuff.

Hope everyone's LO's are feeling better!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Must be going around. I took DS to doctors on Wed and he has something like hand foot mouth infection. Wasn't in mouth, so she wouldn't diagnose as such, but he has/had fever and rash (red bumps) on bum, hands and feet. As with any virus, nothing to do but wait it out. I am also off all week and just loving this holiday vacation with a grumpy, whitney, miserable kid. Yay for the holidays.

Sections
Shortcuts