December - Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

December - Infants and Toddlers

How is everyone doing?  Almost ready for the holidays?  I most certainly am not, but that's nothing new.

DD is 9 months now & has her next appointment soon.  She is very active these days - crawling all over and refusing to stay still for diaper changes.  She's also babbling more these days. Instead of just dadadada, we occasionally hear a mamama or baybaybay.  No teeth yet, but can't say I mind!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Re: December - Infants and Toddlers

I am most definitely not ready for the holidays.  Started making my lists, and we figured out how we're going to see all the assorted relatives (which is a huge accomplishment!), but I've got to start my shopping and this weekend we're going to start decorating.  The warm weather hasn't helped me start to feel Christmas-y at all!

DD is 13 months now.  She is sooooo close to walking.  She's taken a few single steps by herself, but still prefers to hold on to one of my hands or to a piece of furniture.  She's "talking" a lot more, even in the last few days...combining lots of different sounds, making gestures, and definitely having a "conversation".  She also LOVES books...will sit on the floor with 3 or 4 around her, turning the pages, pointing and "reading"...a girl after my own heart! 

Biggest challenges for me right now are sleep and her hair. 

Sleep because she has fallen out of her good habits and now consistently (for about 2 weeks) has been waking up in the middle of the night...so we're starting to sleep train (again) tonight.  I think it has to do with the teeth that I know are coming in and all of the developmental changes going on with nearly walking, but it stinks...especially since when she wakes up inconsolable at night, it is only me she wants! 

The hair challenge is that it's getting to look a little crazy...long "bangs" and a bit of a mullet going on...plus it is stick straight, and won't hold barrettes.  I'm constantly pushing it out of her eyes, but think I've got to get some of those clippys to start pulling it back.  I don't want to cut it, so I'm hoping it will start growing really fast!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Luv, both your challenges are me a month ago!  My DD had the same problems, a bit later, around 14 months.
    Regarding hair, I have had to resort to elastics.  The ones they sell in packs of one million, and they are teeny tiny and have no coating on them, just elastic.  Then I have to put them around 3 times so they are hard to pull out.  I am really paranoid that she'll choke on them, so I take them out for naps and throw them in the trash -- they get pretty stretched out and since they are in the million pack I think it's okay.
    We do on the side in front for bangs and sometimes one or two in the back for the mullet.

We are doing well.  The LO is really starting to get the hang of pulling to stand!  She's been doing it for a while under very ideal conditions, but now she's starting to do it in more varied places, and yesterday she managed to cruise from the couch to an end table, procure a pencil, and scribble on one of my sleep books!  We're going to need some sort of yard/gate for the Christmas tree...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Oh yes, I am definitely wondering how to protect the tree.  Not to mention that the spot where we used to put one is now filled with baby toys, laundry, etc.

This is random, but I'm wondering if any of you have experience with either being let go or working in HR.  A friend was let go a couple days ago.  I know that usually you can't collect unemployment when you've been fired, but HR gave him a packet of info, including instructions for filing for unemployment.  Is that any kind of indication that they will approve it or is that just information they're required to give out?  Thanks in advance if anyone has info!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I've started conditioning DD hair to help with the fuzzy, but so far that's all I've done. She's very curly, but thin in front so barettes are not yet an option. I typically don't really like those goofy headbands on babies but have started to see the cute factor in them. A couple of times we've done the stretchy headbands and when she keeps them on the look cute and manage the curls well.

We went to Picture People yesterday for her holiday pictures. I know it's an age thing (15 months), but I was really disappointed in the shoot and the pictures. I intentionally went early so DD could adjust and feel comfortable when it was her turn - but she kept running off. I had to uses props, which I didn't really want to do, to keep her busy and in place. We got a couple of decent ones, but not what I had in mind for the holiday cards, so that was a bummer. Remind me next time that I never like my PP pictures and wind up annoyed at the cost of them! I think an onsite photographer doing a natural shoot is the way to go for us in the future. Maybe I'll post some examples over on our facebook page :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fram, sorry about your friend.  The answer can be complicated about unemployment.  From mass.gov on the subject:

Will I be eligible for UI benefits if I am fired?
    Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 151A, governs the unemployment insurance program. According to the law, you may be eligible if you were fired for poor performance. However, if your employer is able to show that you were fired for deliberate misconduct or violation of a company rule, you may be disqualified.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Fram - I believe that either way when you're fired your employer gives you a packet of information regarding filing for unemployment.  Then once you file the employer is alerted and may fight the unemployment if they so choose.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Oh - ML yes, post pictures!  I have really been wondering how I'm going to do an Xmas card photo this year.  I want one with just DD and DS, but I'm not sure how I'm going to get it without DD running off and knocking DS over.  Ha!  I tried to prop DS on the couch the other day and sat DD next to him and she was so good - just stared into the camera with a big grin.  Question is - can I position the couch in front of the Xmas tree AND get a repeat performance?!  :)

I am starting to get excited about Christmas!!!  Can you tell?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks for the input ladies!  I guess he'll find out soon enough.

Glad I am not the only one obessing over Xmas photos!  We're going to Sears this weekend.  Hope they come out better this time, at a different location.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

I made the mistake with DD1 of cutting her bangs when she was an infant which led to a viscous cycle of them growing out and having to get them cut again (I can't cut a straight line on paper let alone near a kid's eyes).  A year ago when she was 2 I decided to end the cycle (she looks so much cuter with out the bangs) but it's taken a year to ALMOST be past the Cousin It stage.  With DD2, I will NOT be cutting her bangs although it is time for the first hair cutto even things up in the back.

If your child is not too much of a hair toucher I've found that the fabric head bands work ok but I've recently at 13 months had to resort to elastic id I want hair to really stay out of her eyes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Also obsessing about holiday photos over here.

We were supposed to do our shoot yesterday, but our photographer (Lindsey Light) is sick and out of commission for a couple of weeks.  Desperately trying to find someone else if any of you have any recommendations!!

We're having similar hair-maintenance problems in our house.  The only thing that works are the little elastics Medford mentions. I've actually wanted to try a headband but haven't gotten aroudn to buying one.  I got my elastics at CVS and they are tiny and clear.  Which of course means they disappear the moment I put them down somewhere. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Target has the tiny hair elastics in variety packs of girly colors. I usually opted for the palm tree on top of the head look.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

We call that the Pebbles look in our family.  DH loves to tease me when I fix their hair that way.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Both this year (2 1/2) and last year (at 18 months) I ended up doing a collage of photos at Shutterfly for the Xmas card.  I can't get a decent photo of DD and DS together to save my life! :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Fram - it is required by law for your employer to give you info about unemployment, regardless of whether they are going to approve it or not.  Good luck to your friend.

My holiday cards just arrived... I am feeling so ahead of the game.  This is unheard of for me.  Of course I actually have to label and stamp them and get them in the mail - the hard part.  Poppy... so sorry about Lindsey.  She did ours and they were really amazing.  If there is any way you can hold out... she'd be worth it.  I'll post some on the FB page so you can see.

DS is doing so well.  We haven't started EI yet (in fact they haven't called and they were supposed to this week) but he has learned how to get from his belly to sitting!!  This is huge.  I'm guessing he learned from watching at daycare.  And he does it like he's been doing it for ages... no struggle at all.  I wonder if I'm overreacting with EI.  Maybe he just needed to be around other kids to see how they are all moving about.  There is still no way he could get from the ground to standing... but perhaps that will come.  EI is actually not cheap for us given how they compute family contribution. I don't want to be fruggle if he really needs this.  I've seen on some blogs that some 14 mth-olds aren't walking yet... so perhaps I'm rushing what will come naturally... just a bit delayed.  He walks really, really well... is practically running actually.  And yesterday he plopped down onto his bum from standing for the first time.  Not at all graceful... but hey... he got down.  Medford... any thoughts?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

OMG!  DS slept through last night!  I feel like a new woman!  Pleeeease let this be the start of something big.

IPW - my DD didn't walk until she was 16 months.  At her 15 month appt I was freaking out, but my pedi stood her up and took and look and concluded that she could, she just wasn't... yet.  And that was OK - she just was on her own schedule (and BTW they have until 18 months to start walking).  So, my point is it sounds like your DS is doing fine, he's just on a different schedule doing the walking before the belly - /> sit.  If I were you I'd hold off on the EI.

So will you ladies start posting your Xmas pics?  I keep checking in and nothing yet.  I'm dying to see those cuties!  I hope to have the tree up and take a few pics this weekend.  DD has had a cold for the past 1.5 weeks.  I was hoping to wait until she's no longer rudolph, but it seems to be lingering. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

The last few years I've been asking lots of people to take family pictures of us while we're at Thanksgiving dinner.  If any of them come out ok (DD not picking her nose, DH not closing his eyes or looking uncomfortable, me not hiding my neck behind my weird chin thing or with crazy eyes) I just use that.  Last year I opted for a 3-photo pattern so they photos were smaller and harder to see how silly we looked in our family shot.  The relatives just want to see her anyway.  I picked a cute halloween photo and a summer photo for the other two.  People don't really care about it being holiday-themed I don't think.  It's saved me a lot of stress.

I usually send a "Happy New Year" themed card since my side is Catholic and DH's side is Jewish.  I'm always procrastinating anyway.  I wait until photocards are 50% off at walgreens right after Christmas and order them then and send them out in January.

Also, I usually add a thank-you note in the envelope when I send them if the person needs a thank you note, so I am extra-efficient that way and save on stamps. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In Response to Re: December - Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]If any of them come out ok (DD not picking her nose, DH not closing his eyes or looking uncomfortable, me not hiding my neck behind my weird chin thing or with crazy eyes) I just use that.
    Posted by lissafro[/QUOTE]
    That made me laugh.  All pictures of me have one eye partly closed.

So, IPW, did you already have the EI evaluation?  If so, and if he qualified, I would do it.  I know the family contribution can be a lot, so one possibility is to find out if it can be prorated if you leave after a couple of months.
    One of the biggest things was that it was really educational for us.  We learned about how she moves and how to help her and what quirks might be standing in her way.  For example, with the pulling to stand, she was completely locking her knees while standing because it made her feel comfortable, so she could never get up or down with locked knees.
    That said, it sounds like our kids are similar!  It was fantastic when our LO learned to sit up from lying down, so congratulations!  The next thing that happened for us was starting to learn to pull to stand.  That is ongoing for us -- she can do it with the right things to use, but is still working on her skillz to be able to do it anywhere.
    I think a lot of people (and even pediatricians) look at it as "walking" and "not walking".  But I don't really think it's the actual walking that's the main thing; you have to look at the whole picture.  I have a friend whose son didn't walk until 16 or 17 months, but he was an agile and proficient crawler, stander, climber, getting up and downer, et cetera.  It was clear that there was no issue.  It was in contrast to the situation that you and I are in, I think.  IMHO, as the kids say!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Hi everyone.  Can't believe it is December and I'm so excited for the holidays this year!  DD is almost 17 months and this Christmas will be SO different than last year.  She had no idea about it all last year, of course, except that the tree lights were mesmerizing.  This year we bought an extra play-yard gate thing to put around the tree.  Even if I put all the ornaments up high, I still didn't want to risk her getting anywhere near the lights or the cords.  She is just into everything and goes non-stop all day.  We're going to see Santa tomorrow and that could go either way.  She could be terrified or totally ok with it.  I'm hoping to get a photo or two while she is all dressed up that I'll be able to use for our Christmas card.  That is a bummer to hear that Lindsey Light is sick - she is our photog too.  We did 2 photo shoots with her this year and I couldn't justify a 3rd for Christmas - but every picture we've had with her has been great.  Poppy - hoping that you can still get your photo shoot in with her.  If not, maybe Lindsey could give you a reference.

Speaking of holiday cards - I tend to keep all of our photos on the kodak gallery website.  I just got an email today that they are having a buy 1 get 1 free sale that ends tomorrow night.  I usually have ordered from tiny prints in the past, but this deal is probably too good to pass up (as long as I can get my act together by tomorrow night and design a card!).  They are also offering free 3-day shipping.  Worth a look I guess if anyone is still procrastinating (like me!).

And I know my post is getting a bit long, but I also wanted to comment on Early Intervention.  As I have mentioned before, my DD was nearly 2 months early, so as a preemie she had a few areas that she needed help in early on.  We qualified for EI from 3-9 months of age and it was great.  We did have to pay the out of pocket family cost, but our therapist gave us some great tips that really helped DD.  By the time the 6 months were up, DD had done so well that she didn't qualify for EI anymore, which is the point.  It was kinda a lot of money, but it was worth it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

So glad to know I'm not alone with the baby mullet problem.  Today, I thought her hair looked a little more like a "Carol Brady" cut than a mullet...I can kind of live with that.  

I guess if that's one of my biggest parenting worries right now - along with trying to figure out when we'll have time to go see Santa - I'm in good shape! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

In Response to Re: December - Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]I usually send a "Happy New Year" themed card since my side is Catholic and DH's side is Jewish.  I'm always procrastinating anyway.  I wait until photocards are 50% off at walgreens right after Christmas and order them then and send them out in January. Also, I usually add a thank-you note in the envelope when I send them if the person needs a thank you note, so I am extra-efficient that way and save on stamps. 
    Posted by lissafro[/QUOTE]

Lissa, you just revolutionized my entire world.  (sad, isn't it?)  I have been frantically contacting photographers about rushing a photo shoot, but why do I need to send a card before the holidays??  I don't!!  I can just send a "happy new year" card in January!  hello, flexible thinking!

IPW - can't wait to see your pics, I was really disappointed and wanted to still do a shoot with Lindsey when she recovers, but didn't know how I could do that and still get a pick in time for a holiday card, and felt silly wanting to do 2 separate shoots.  Now I am not worried about that!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

The BEST thing about it is if you send them out after Christmas, you won't get into that situation where you sent out all your cards and then you get some from people you weren't expecting and feel weird about not reciprocating (a Seinfeld-esque dilemma for the suburbs haha).  You just add people to the list as you receive cards!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Medford, we did already do the eval and it was neat seeing how much he could do socially and verbally. It's just the one gross motor issue. They said the same thing as you heard; my DS is locking his joints because he's too flexible and perhaps afraid he'll fall if he's not so tense. The eval was last Wed, so over a week, and in that short time, he's now doing belly to sitting. We'll see. I'll give it another week or so and decide. They did say I could pay by the month and stop anytime. Poppy, great solution.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I also love lissa suggestion, I just really like to see the pictures of kids each year, so I don't care if it is a week or two after christmas..  I still get to see them.

and can i just add that croup totally stinks

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Oh man, winter.  Croup does stink!!  I had it a bunch of times as a kid and also had pneumonia a couple of times when I was older.  I remember being so miserable with the croup when I was 9.  (I know the exact age because we were watching Home Alone in the theatre when it hit me and we ended up going to the ER on the way home.  I even remember sitting between my parents on a bench seat on the way to the hospital :o) 

DD had her 9 month appt last week.  She was 28 ½ inches and almost 21 lbs.  The doc was actually kind of concerned about her weight because she went from ~55% to 85%.  It goes to show you mommy knows best!!  I knew she was still taking in too much fluid at day care.  The doctor’s advice was to make sure day care doesn’t give her any cookies or crackers after meals.  The purees and cereal are enough.  And to watchto see if she is done with the bottle before she drinks it all – don’t force it.  We’ll see if day care listened to what I had to say.  She always says that April sucks her bottles right down, but I just don’t get it.  On the weekends she definitely takes less than she used to and sometimes only BFs 4 times instead of 5.

I took DD to get Christmas photos with her cousin this weekend.  She's a bit stranger wary these days (just a bit), so she wouldn't smile.  Actually, I tried to get a good one at home the next day and she wouldn't smile then either.  Oh well!