December - Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: December - Infants and Toddlers

How do you find the BDC Moms group on Facebook?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Fram: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Friends-of-Bostoncom-Wedding-and-Parenting-Forums/265239243521198

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I love the baby mullet comments, especially since I am begging DD's hair to grow in... she's still a baldy at 9 m.  I don't get to post often anymore, but I read the updates to see how everyone is doing.  I have been at my new position since June, right after returning from maternity leave.  The adjustment was tough, but starting to feel in the groove.  DD is 9 mos, had her check-up and is 18lbs, 27 inches.  She's crawling all over the place, got two teeth (DS was a year before 1!) and is eagerly interested in table food which the pedi greenlighted, although I am in no rush.  She's seems so tiny and even though I give her tiny pieces, I still freak.  So we do some finger foods, some purees still.  DS will be 3(!!!) next week.  His sleep has vastly improved since earlier on.  He's all over the place with potty training... back and forth with success rates.  Just going with it until I'm off for a bit at the holidays, then I may try a boot camp.  He is so talkative and I love seeing him interact with his friends at school and get into activities.  Switching to a new daycare has been better than expected and we love our new center in Easton.  Best wishes to everyone and your LOs over the holidays!!! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

IPW - I would do 1 month since they allow it... those first few times were the most informative.  Like, I never knew being *too* flexible could be a problem!  Then if you feel like you're not getting anywhere new, you don't have to feel obligated to continue.

Winter - how do you know it's croup??  Sounds awful!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

So, are any of the pregnant first-time moms out there having any anxiety?! I've started to feel anxious about the whole pregnancy, and then the whole having a baby thing!

My doctor told me that I have "flat nipples", so breast feeding may be diffucult for me. I am feeling a little upset about this because I really wanted to BF. But, if I have to pump, I have to pump.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Oh my goodness, my daughter also will hardly ever keep a barette in her hair.  She usually looks like a sheep dog.  Everyone tells me not to cut bangs so I'm trying to resist :)

Question: If you swaddled, when did you stop? 

My DS sleeps in one of those newborn sleepsacks with the arm wrap.  My DD wasn't into swaddling, so we just have the newborn size and then we have sleepsacks without the swaddle part.  I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and buy a swaddle sleep sack in the next size up or if I should try and transition DS to the regular "arms out" sleepsack.  DS will be 4 months this week.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

MM - My 9 mo DD is also a baldy!!  DH tried to get me to lose the headband when we did our little Christmas photo shoot, but I had to insist.

Trouble - We were all about the swaddle.  Did it until past 5 months, but I guess that isn't that long considering some people did it longer.  She was rolling all over the place, so we really had to stop.  Didn't phase DD at all when we stopped, but she has mostly been a really good sleeper.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

trouble: I stopped swaddling early- DS was huge so it made it hard- we kept jumping sizes.

liz- you never know. don't swear off (or worry about) anything until you get there. case in point- nipples completely change with babies (at least mine did- they are now, thank goodness, back to normal again). in general: you have no idea what will happen, and although you could worry about everything, it isn't good for you or the baby. (my general rule became 'I will worry about that when it happens').  the anxiety thing is normal - I had it throughout the first and second trimesters, the third trimester was more of a "omg, what else do we have to do before he gets here." What i would recommend is that you find a book like baby bargains, and start thinking about products. It allowed me to "feed" my anxious feelings about being a mom, but in a more productive way. e.g., looking up which car seat would be best and fit in my car was helpful and necessary, but took the stress off of me (personally). find a pediatrician. look at room decorations, etc.

medford. they sound like seals. it typically only occurs in the middle of the night, in the context of some sort of respiratory thing. it is like he can't breathe, and when he gasps for breath, it sounds like a seal barking.  apparently (from what we learned after the fact), the throat is swelling and reducing the airway- adults can't get it because our throats are bigger. anyway, for some kids, warm moist air is good (we bathed him anyway, because he had a high fever) but some kids do better with cold air. they gave us 3 days of steriods. good to know i guess. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

poor baby Winter.  (and parents Winter...)  Feel better soon!
    I heard horrible mucous noises this AM from the latest cold, but nothing seal-like.  Thanks for the info -- I will keep my ears peeled!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Ds is just about 5 months old and we had to cut his hair the other day. It looked like he had a toupee.  My DH did it with the clippers and still left it long. It looks so much better.  I have never heard of anyone having to cut a babies hair this young.  If any of you have seen My kiddos on FB you know the amount of hair they both have. 

Regarding the holiday pics, I got a good one of the two of them a few weeks back but we took them again since the hair cut.  I took about 30 pics in a row and I managed to get them both smiling at the same time.    Ill post it on FB later.

So DS will be 5months on the 14th is such a happy baby.  Still sleeping though the night since 5 weeks.  I still have him in the napper, I am so lazy.  He smiles all the time and loves the exersaucer and jumperoo although he does not really know how to use them yet he just stares at the toys.   He is such a different baby then he was for the first 2 months of his life.  I switch to the level  2 nipples over the weekend and he is drinking the formula better. 

DD has been potty training since August.   We are partially to blame for it taking so long but I also think that putting her in Pull Ups at daycare also slowed us down.  She has not had an accident (pee) in weeks and this week has been pooping.  She has went 2 days, in underwear all day and night with no accidents.  I am so happy.  She is at daycare today with a pull up so i just hope it continues.   She has been sooo into the xmas shows on TV.  It is cute to hear her sing all the songs.  I cant believe she will be three next month.  Holy crap how time flies.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Thank you Winter :) You're are completely right. There is no point in worrying about BF'ing until I know for certain if I can or can not do it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Quad,
    why is your daughter in pullups at childcare?  If she is in underpants while awake at home, she really should be in underpants at school/childcare.  Not during naptime, perhaps - they could put her in a pullup/diaper at naptime, but then off with it when she wakes up from nap and hits thepotty for the first time.

Of course, you will need to make double sure you keep her extra clothing at school properly stocked with LOTS of extra undies, pants and socks and even 1 other pr of shoes for the next month or so...

and by the way, if it looks like a duck, feels like a duck, sounds like a duck, it must be a duck.... or pullups in this analogy....

I'd use diapers at naptime and bedtime (except it seems like she's already dry at night so why go back?) and make SURE she's in undies no matter what all day long.... even at grandmas, schoool, chlidcare, at the mall, at a friends' house, etc....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Liz,
    You don't even want to know how much your breasts are going to change in the next year or so of your life.  Seriously, they won't even feel like yours by the end of it all. 

Plus, if worst comes to worse you can always use a nipple shield! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: December - Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]So, are any of the pregnant first-time moms out there having any anxiety?! I've started to feel anxious about the whole pregnancy, and then the whole having a baby thing! My doctor told me that I have "flat nipples", so breast feeding may be diffucult for me. I am feeling a little upset about this because I really wanted to BF. But, if I have to pump, I have to pump.
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]
    There's some good advice here: http://www.motherandchildhealth.com/Breastfeeding/Becky/inverted.html

Check into breastfeeding support groups in your area. One of the most helpful things for me was being able to see other moms breastfeed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Liz - here's the thing about being pregnant (and then being a mom) - you make all these plans and have all these ideas about how things are going to be - or how you want them to be. And guess what? It doesn't always turn out that way. I wanted to nurse too, but once my twins arrived it seemed they had other ideas. So I pumped. then the pumping made me feel so overwhelmed on top of taking care of twins that I stopped after 8 weeks. I have another friend who got an infection and had to stop nursing or pumping.
    And all the moms on this board could give you an endless list of things that didn't go the way they envisioned. Lemon once said she wished her daughter had co-slept with her - but her LO only slept well alone in her own room. I wanted to keep my kids in cribs much longer than I was able to because my son wouldn't stop climbing out - and into his twin sisters crib! Lots of people make birth plans and end up with c-sections. I was sure I WANTED a c-section and ended up delivering!
    So try not to worry. I'm sure you'll have no problem nursing - but if you do, it's not the end of the world.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Hi CT- She goes to a private home for daycare and that is what she requested.  I am not sure the reasoning behind it.  She did #2 in the pull up yesterday so we took a step back.    Its frustrating.  She only goes there on Tues and Thurs so If I can keep her "clean" over the weekend she is going there on Tues in Undies.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

medford- thanks for the thoughts :) and you will NOT miss it. scariest noise I have ever heard come out of him... it even woke up DH who is typically immune to night time baby noises.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Aw, poor winter family!  I always feel bad for the parents as well as the little one, because it's definitely scary (and tiring).

Liz, everyone has already said it all... but it's all true!  Everything works out, but we don't get to know in advance how it works out.  FWIW, I was also worried about flat n1pples, but they morphed once they saw a lot of nursing action.  :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Well said, Lily!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Hi All:

Winter - that is so scary!  So sorry you are going through that.

DS had his 4 month visit today.  All in all a very good visit.  He was in such good spirits too despite being a bit sniffly and under the weather.  He even took his shots like a real man with barely even a whimper! 

He continues to be long, and has a nice average size head (unlike his sis who has a huge noggin), but he did drop from the 25%ile to the 5%ile for weight.  My peditrician wasn't concerned in the least, because she knows my DD is wirey and it's just how my kids are.  Still a bit of a shock.  The poor boy doesn't have an ounce of fat on him!  But he's meeting all his milestones just fine, so I guess we just continue chugging along. 

Pedi said to start cereal any time now.  I cannot believe DS is ready for solids!  He isn't a newborn anymore!  Where does the time go?

I hope EOE is well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Trouble - It goes by too fast!!

DD finally has a tooth!  It was funny last night.  DH told me when I got home from work and I squealed... which caused DD to burst out crying.  (She was sleepy.)

I am ridiculously excited about decorating our tree tonight.  I have to jet at 5:00 on the dot (for once) so DD won't be too tired when I wrap her up in Christmas lights!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

A while back, someone posted to ask if anyone else thought they might be "one and done".  Was that you ml??  I've been meaning to bring it up for a while...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Fram, it wasn't me, but I have been thinking about it lately.  Then I totally swing the other way and think #2 would be a great idea.  We probably will go for #2, but I'm still musing...

How did the tree go??  Our (older, 16 month) LO was so unbelievably thrilled by the strings of lights.  My husband was going along a string looking for dead bulbs (yes, he's very particular), and she started doing the same thing!  Then when they got turned on and put up on the couch as he got ready to use them, it actually motivated her to climb onto the couch.  First time ever!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Fram, I am not even close to having a baby yet...but DH and I have always planned on just having one. It could change after we have our little one though, who knows.

So many people have so many opinions for me when I have told them our plans of only having one child.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I only have the one.  :)