December - Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Re: December - Infants and Toddlers

It was me, I think. 1 and done was the plan.

I see all the reasons and realities that make it necessary to have one child, and at the moment I am trying to accept that for us.

Against every rational thought(I continue to have health issues related to my pregnancy, I'm 38, my husband is going to be 50 in a few weeks, we aren't rich) I SO want another pregnancy and baby!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Fram - congrats on the tooth!  It's so exciting to see the first little one pop up.

Medford - awesome about climbing on the couch!  Good to know more things that motivate her. :)

I can't remember if anyone here has mentioned using them, but I wanted to report that we went to Portrait Simple in the Rockingham mall last week to get some holiday photos (the photographer we had planned to use is sick and out of commission for a while). I was very pleasantly surprised by both the actual photo shoot as well as the photos themselves!  The photographer (Tena) was great with DD and managed to capture photos that don't show that she was on the move the entire shoot.  They are NOT cheap there (something like $500 for all images on CD!  Crazy!) but we really liked the photos and will definitely buy some digital files and use at least one for the holiday card.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Fram, I'm 10 weeks with #1 right now, and am trying to accept that this may be my only child (that I give birth to - I have a step son) for many reasons - money, my work schedule, DH not wanting to be and "old" dad. Are you leaning towards just one, or thinking of more, or just wondering in general?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Oh wow... I guess it's nice to know I'm not the only one? :-/
    We always planned to have 2 children and, to be honest, we haven't really discussed it since having DD... But I think there's a possibility that she'll be the one and only.  Financially I just can't fathom how we could ever make it work.  I know people always say you can make it work, but I just don't know.  We're working on it and I hope we can have a second someday, assuming that's what we decide we want to do.

Having these thoughts, makes me cherish every tiny moment with DD so much!!  When she sat up, crawled, etc. all I could think was that this might be the only time I experience this.  But hey once is better than never!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Once is better than never - great attitude! 

I am so excited to finally be pg that I just want to get to the next part.  Like first I couldn't wait to tell (I still have a lot of people to tell), but now I can't wait for my bump to show and feel kicks, but then I have the same thoughts as you that if this is a one shot deal, I should savor every moment for what it is.  Well, maybe not the puking part, but everything else. 

I was so happy to hear the heartbeat for the first time this week.  The 8 wk u/s had no sound.  DH couldn't come, so I recorded it on my phone for him.  But I listen to it every day and am so glad that I have that moment for whenever I want it.  I'm not completely nuts, right?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

What a great idea, Novem.  Such a nice thing to have saved!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I texted it to him with a one word message:  "Listen".  I was very grateful for modern technology that day.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

One is definitley better than none!! With the way I am feeling right now, I have no desire to go through it again!

I have heard from many people :

You only want one?!?!?! Like I just told them to most disturbing thing ever.
    He/she will be so lonely!
    He/she will be so spoiled!
    You can't just stop at one!...I can't?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Well, I know you all don't *really* know me, but I am an only child and feel confident in saying I'm relatively well-adjusted, not spoiled, and not resentful of never having had a sibling.  When I see siblings who are each other's best friends, yes I have a twinge of jealousy.  However I know siblings who can't stand each other, and I'd rather be an only than deal with that.  I have *very* close girlfriends and we are all like sisters to each other, so that is enough for me (one of whom is also an only child and one of the best, most generous and lovely people I know).

For what it's worth.  :)

Have a great weekend everyone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Funny, my parents were like "one is enough! no need for anymore!" - and I have two sisters. We are trying for #2 but not going crazy over it, so if it does not happen, it does not happen - we would be happy with DS as an only child if that is what is in the cards for us (twins on the other hand will cause a nervous breakdown since that would be 3 kids, and we have always been firmly in the 1 or 2 kids mindset). We do try to enjoy all the moments we have now with DS. We are lucky - we moved to an area where it is very affordable for families and where it is very kid oriented so our main concerns are our own ages and stress levels.

He is 15 months now, and been walking for less than 2 months - and seems to be working on communication skills. Right now, he is constantly pointing at everything and asking "this?" so we tell him "this is XXX" and he loves bringing books to DH so DH can read aloud. It is interesting to see which books he loves hearing/reading and which ones he loses interest within a few pages. He loves wheeled toys, and stackable toys (mega blocks for instance). So amazing to think about how different he is from just a few months ago. He is walking so much better, although he tends to insist on holding our hands when we are out and about until he has checked out the scenery. It is so funny because when one of us puts him down, he will lift both hands up, and if we don't immediately each grab one hand, he gives both of us a "come on, grab my hands! like now!" look.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Wow so much to catch up on!

Winter I hope everyone is doing well!

Christmas cards - hopefully mine will be arriving tomorrow which is what Shutterflies email told me.  I use pictures from the year.  This year I included a picture of the family from DS' first birthday along with one of him eating cake, his sister's cheering pic and a pic of the two of them from Halloween.  We did formal pics at DS' 6 months and I really wanted to do 1 year pics but just never got around to it because of how busy adjusting back to work and everything was.

We have been going back and forth on the tree issue.  First thing is whether to go real or fake.  The other is where to put it.  Like Fram our livingroom is now toys and laundry!  DS also climbs everything so I am so afraid no matter what we do he will somehow pull it down or something.  Why we are still having this discussion I don't know...we were going to get the tree this weekend but did not so with only about a week to go is it really an issue anymore!  We also won't be home for Xmas.  So who knows what we will do.

DS is now 15 months.  We had his doctors appt. last week and he was 26lbs and 31.5 inches.  He had his first real haircut last Friday and now he looks so grown-up vs. my little baby boy.  He looks super cute though!  He is sprouting teeth like crazy, seems like a new tooth is coming out every week.  He has started to say one or two words but babbles all the time.  I love when he sings it is so cute.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

cwagner, great about the mega blocks!  That is what our LO (16 months) is getting for the holidays from one of her grandparents.  I, personally, am really really excited to play with them.  I hope she will be, too.
    We need a new toy storage plan.  They have outgrown the little storage cube we had allotted to them...

crazy: our LO crawled yesterday!  She has the gross motor delay, and she was belly crawling, then scooting on her rear, and now she can pull to stand and cruise the furniture.  All her EI people said that since she was such a fast scooter, she wouldn't crawl and would just go to walking.  Yesterday she proved them wrong!  And the best part is that I can ask her to do it again and tell her I'll clap for her and she'll do it and then sit up and clap.  SO funny.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

DD2 was sitting up in her crib yesterday morning and standing in her crib this morning! 

She has clearly turned a corner in her development.  She started scooting just a couple of months about, graduated to cruising around on furniture a month ago and in the last week has been seen letting go and practicing standing on her own.  She is also doing 1-3 steps in between Daddy and Mommy.  At just over 14 months, I think she's caught up to about where she should be.  It's along way from the 4 month old we had real concerns over.  Goes to show us, that sometimes all babies need is a little time to figure things out.  DH and I are soooooo excited for her (and us). 

Of course, it does mean she can now through/drop things out of the crib.  She was pretty annoyed this morning that her lovey was one the floor and looked a little confused on haw it happened.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Medford and DZ... congrats.  That is so exciting!  My DS has mastered sitting from his belly, and I also have found a little boy sitting up in his crib in the morning!!  And he can (with difficulty) pull himself up using one of us.  He won't pull up on anything other than either mom or dad... but I try not to help him to see if he can get up all the way.  He is running though... so its just so funny the gross motor skills he's over-excelling at and the ones he just skipped and struggles with.  And last night I saw him using two knees while crawling a few feet.  Which just like medford... was HUGE!
    He is 14 months today and is just about the funniest little guy.  He said "cracker" last night and my heart melted.  And while drawing his bath, I joked a bit saying "ok, take off your socks" and to my surprise... he took them off!!  Wasn't expecting that.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Congrats Medford, DZ, and IPW!  Cracker - awesome!

Isn't it so crazy when you can tell them to do things and they do them??  They are so smart!!

DD's new thing is shaking her head "no".  She just learned it.  Before she used to wave her hands around and go "nananananah!!" for "no".  Now she just grins and shakes her head... to EVERY question!  She doesn't know about "yes" at all.  Just "no". 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Wow!  Some huge accomplishments going on here!  Congrats to babies Medford, DZ and IPW!  And haha Poppy!  Gotta teach them "yes" first.  DD is a yes girl :)

It is amazing how much toddlers understand isn't it?  My DD loves books.  She has about a million (TY Granny).  And I can ask her for a book by title and she'll find it and give it to me!  Do you think that means she can read??  :-)

We broke out the Jumparoo for DS this weekend.  I cannot believe that my little baby boy is ready for it.  He might be skinny, but he's also so long that he can reach the floor and bounce and can reach all the toys on it!  So fun to watch him having such a great time.

We also finally got a christmas photo this weekend.  It isn't perfect, and was so hard getting DD to sit still, but it's a photo of them as they are now and hopefully our friends and family will enjoy it!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Trouble - I'm sure your friends and family will love your Christmas photo. A long time ago I let go of the idea of the perfect photo on the Christmas card. I realized that most people open it, say "The Lily Family...how nice... the kids are cute, aren't they?" and then toss it in a basket (or whatever else people do with Christmas cards). What I'm saying is that it doesn't have to be perfect.
    I'd rather get an "imperfect" photo than none at all - I hate cards without photos, espeically from people I don't get to see all that often! :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I totally agree with misslily; the perfect card is one with a photo of any pose quality with loved ones in it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Someone tell that to my MIL and BIL!  They were commenting that the photo of my 5 yo nephew was too goofy and SIL could have sent something sooo much better.  Meanwhile my reaction was that it was one of the first photos of him I had seen with a great genuine smile.

AFM - I'm starting to think about weaning DD.  Some days I only get enough for one bottle of BM the next day, some days enough for two.  I could still BF in the morning and night, but it may be time to stop pumping.  I'm undecided.  What was it like for y'all when you stopped/cut back?  I've never had a problem with leaking at work and I can easily skip a feeding without being uncomfortable, so I wonder if it won't be too bad for me... But I figure things are never that easy!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

A quick question for all of the ladies with LOs in daycare: do you leave your stroller and bucket seat at the daycare each day or take it with you after drop off?

We are starting to think about what we will need once our LO arrives and were discussing how many bucket seats we would need considering there will be three people (DH, my mom and myself) doing pick up and drop off throughout the week.  Our plan at the moment is I will do drop off each morning and depending on the day DH or my mom will do pick up. So we will need three bases for the three cars but do we need an extra bucket seat or carriage for my mom since the LO will be going to her house on afternoons that she does pick up?

If it helps at the moment we are leaning towards home daycares.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Fram, I still do wake up and bed time nursing.  Physically, I was lucky to have no problems.  I first dropped to one pumping at work (from two) and then eliminated it entirely.  Simultaneously I was nursing less during the day on days I was with her.  So it worked out fine.  Emotionally, I was half happy to be done with the trouble of pumping and half sad that my little one was getting so big!

CLC, I think it depends on the daycare.  We are out of the bucket but some people leave those.  It's a center, so they have a specific guideline that you need to "make arrangements" to leave a car seat or stroller.  I think you have to ask as part of your daycare screening.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

I am an EPer, but I haven't had trouble dropping a pump. I went from 4 to 3 recently with no problem. I can go for about 9 hours before getting uncomfortable, but I never had leaking or overflow issues. My daycare center lets you leave the bucket and stroller but they have the space for it. Pretty soon I won't be able to carry the bucket and will have to switch to the convertible seat. We got 1 as a shower gift, but we're going to have to get another one.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Liv, we've avoided the purchase of the second convertible for a little longer by just leaving the bucket in one car (DH, who does drop off 3 mornings), and using the convertible in my car, since we usually drive my car as a family and I do more drop off and pickups.  We're almost at the point when we have to buy the second seat, but we've managed to stretch it out a while longer. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Fram, I had no problems dropping daytime pumping, although I considered myself a horrible pumper.  I would maybe get 1 bottle a day, and when it became stressful, I stopped (6 mths).  I just quit cold turkey, but I was still doing morning and evening nursing.  And I was able to produce quite a bit during those sessions as DS was always quite pleased.
    Unsure about bucket question as we started daycare in the toddler room.  The extra bases are worth the money in my opinion... we had 3 as well.  The snap and go strollers for the buckets aren't that expensive.  May be worth it to leave one of those at your moms.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

We go to a home daycare and leave the bucket, I've never left my stroller.  We recently changed from one home to another and its the same process.  We had three bases as well and my parents had a stroller of their own. 

Fram - I BF DS and EP with DD and stopped nursing cold turkey with both of them and had very little issue. 

Congrats to all the babes out there reaching new milestones!

For Christmas cards I had planned (key word) on one shot of the two of them.  We ended up with two shots individually and its super cute.  Anyone who has kids knows there is no perfect shot.  I have got a few so far w/kids not looking at the camera and they are still super cute pictures.