December - Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Re: December - Infants and Toddlers

CLC, you can pick up a snap and go stroller for about $15 at Children's Orchard or another second hand place and it is totally worth the money for the convenience of an extra SNG for your mom!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks for the info everyone.  I was picturing all kinds of discomfort and leaking!

CLC - We would leave the infant seat at daycare, so that DH could take it at pickup.  Now I have the convertible seat in my car and DH has the infant seat in his, until she outgrows it.
    We've never left a stroller at daycare.  If she takes the kids out for a walk, she uses a 6-person stroller that has some kind of insert for infants.  I never saw the insert, but DH did.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

If your pumping was at noon time, you may find yourself uncomfortable at the end of the day - just prepare for that possibility. When I cut out my pumping, I did it by cutting back on number of sessions then when I had only one session, pushing it back until it was close to end of the day - but this is because I am prone to clogged ducts if I let myself get too engorged for too long. By the time I was pumping once a day, I was only pumping out one 4-5 oz bottle.

Even now (I still nurse morning and evenings and then on weekends sometimes once or twice a day), Mondays I tend to feel very full when I got home but my body would adjust by Tuesday. And when DS nurses the first time when we get home, I have to have a nursing pad on the other side because both sides would let down big time (it was not a common occurrance until I cut out the pumping).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I stopped pumping at work when DD was 12 months and continued nursing when I was with her until 15 months.
    I was a little full-feeling towards the afternoon at first but after a week or so I evened out. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

cwagner and Lissafro's post reminded me of something...hopefully this isn't an issue for you, but I got really emotional when I had full breasts and couldn't nurse/pump. I always had to pump before a big or difficult meeting so I could hold it together. A couple of times when the train was late or I missed the train, I had little emotional meltdowns that were totally related to the need to nurse/pump. 

If you have a rough commute at the end of the day and you do notice the emotional surge, just be warned! I remember my husband picking me up at the train station and sobbing for no real reason all the way home!

Ugh, I've probably freaked you out now, and for that I apologize.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

What exciting milestones medford, dz and IPW!!!

When we first started dropping DS off at daycare we only had the bucket and DH would drop DS off and then drop the bucket seat at home and I would pick it up before getting DS.  We however are literally 2 blocks from our daycare.  It did become a PIA so when we bought the convertible seat DH put the infant seat in his car until DS got too big for it and we got a second convertible seat.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

No worries, ml :o)
    I fully expect that there will be issues one way or another.  I was thinking yesterday how strange it is that I didn't cry when I went back to work because I'm generally a pretty sensitive person.  A friend who is usually more laid back went back to work yesterday and texted to say she kept crying :o(  Anyway, the few times I almost cried were while pumping; something about that little machine definitely sucks the emotions out!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Ladies I need some advice.

My 19 month old DD has taken to screaming.  High-pitched shrieks.  She screams when she's happy, when she's sad, when she's angry... basically, she's screaming all the time.  My ears ring from it, god knows what it's doing to my 4 month old's ears. 

We've tried ignoring it, we've tried scolding her.  Nothing is working. 

Has anyone else dealt with this?  What did you do?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Ugh, trouble. My 15 month old is doing the same thing, and I think she learned it from her 19 month old cousin. It's driving me insane!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Trouble - Does she do it with everyone or just with you?  If she is doing it just with you'd I'd say ignore it (if humanly possible) as its probably attention seeking.  On the other hand it may be her getting frustrated with language and what she wants/needs - but I'm thinking since its a shriek its more for attention.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

ML - Isn't it the worst?  I think my DH is having a worse time with it too so I need it to STOP.

KT - She does it with my husband and I.  It's fairly recent, but I don't recall her doing it in public except when we were shopping a couple of weeks ago and I had to stop her from running off in the store, so that was an angry scream.  Ignoring doesn't seem to help and really it's not humanly possible.  It's that loud. 

She does it at the end of dinner sometimes and for a few nights now we've taken her out of the highchair and put her in her playyard in the living room.  So she's alone while we finish clearing up.  She's been perfectly happy with that though so it hasn't been a good consequence to screaming.  Ugh.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Yep, that makes it a lot harder then.  This is going to sound mean (given the age) but I would try and take something away that she enjoys when she screams.  Around that age DD went through some difficult stages and that helped a lot (still does).  I think it also depends on her personality, does she usually out grow phases real fast?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thanks for all of the advice about car seats and daycare.  DH and I are going to start looking at daycares come January so I will make sure it's something that I ask about.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Trouble, our LO does it too.  Honestly, sometimes I think she's just testing out her vocal abilities.  Because she'll do it when she's playing by herself and no one is responding and she's not even looking at us.
    I tend to just ignore it if she's playing happily.  If it's at dinner, sometimes if I talk to her in a very quiet voice about being quiet, she will quiet down so she can hear me.
    Hopefully it's just a phase!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

clc... just to add to the others... definitely check out consignment shops and even craig's list for extra bases and snap n' go frames.  I got our extra base for $11 and SNG frame for $20 at kid to kid in Natick.  It is luck of the draw, and ours is a BabyTrend, so a little harder to find than Graco ... but still worth looking.  New bases go for ~40 and the SNG frames are ~$70.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Didn't want to start a new thread on this and make a big debate out the cry-it-out issue.  But DH sent me this article today and it was interesting.  We have been fortunate that we have never really had to try cry-it-out with DD (only gone about 10-15 minutes max), but I still found this interesting.

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/crying-dangerous-kids-one-expert-says-222400379.html

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Here's the actual article. Personally I think it's rather insulting to say that parents use CIO because it's easy and they want some rest. It's hard! It says that parents who learn to ignore nighttime crying learn to ignore other issues that their babies need. Says who? I've used versions of CIO and Ferber to help my children learn how to self soothe and become good sleepers without ignoring any of their needs. When they have had bouts of night wakings I've always responded to make sure they are okay - but I've learned that rocking and singing them back to sleep doesn't help their ability to self soothe and put themselves back to sleep - an important life skill. 

http://www.psychologytoday.com/print/81755?mid=5519

The author mentions her depressive mother and harsh father, but blames CIO for all her adult ills. Perhaps in her case - it's a much larger picture than she's painting.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Lily - I totally agree.  I thought it was a bit of a stretch to say that CIO is easy and parents putting their needs ahead of the child's.  It isn't like the crying is just ignored so that I can go back to bed!  If she is crying - no one in the house is sleeping! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I was offended by their quoting of "self soothing," as if it's a myth.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I think this is my favorite:
    What does extensive baby crying signal?It shows the lack of experience, knowledge and/or support of the baby's caregivers.

My DD suffered from colic - and I never left her for one second when she had those awful bouts of crying that sometimes went on for hours. But according to this genius, I'm some kind of Neanderthal who has no idea how to care for my child. Actually she seems to think the Neanderthal were much better parents - although I wouldn't let my toddlers "walk into the bush" alone, but since I'm an idiot...what do I know. Smile

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

In Response to Re: December - Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]Ladies I need some advice. My 19 month old DD has taken to screaming.  High-pitched shrieks.  She screams when she's happy, when she's sad, when she's angry... basically, she's screaming all the time.  My ears ring from it, god knows what it's doing to my 4 month old's ears.  We've tried ignoring it, we've tried scolding her.  Nothing is working.  Has anyone else dealt with this?  What did you do?
    Posted by Trouble30[/QUOTE]

You could do a couple of different things, based on the situation and possibilities. 

1. when she is screaming and is happy or excited, you could direct her to do something different - 'Can you clap your hands like this?' and clap, then clap your hands high, and see if she'll fall for it.  this redirects her to do SOMETHING, but something less ear-shattering.

2.  You can also say, 'shh, that's too loud, say 'hurrah!'" - using an excited but not loud voice when you say hurrah!  She'll learn to say hurrah (or whatever word you use) - again, this is if she's excited or happy.  If she's angry, of course that's not the right word.  And when she's angry, all bets are off - she's out of control and she's tantruming and you'll not be able to argue about how loud she does that.  If it goes on a long time, remove her (or yourself) - see below

3.  if you ask her to be quiet "shhh, that's too loud" when she's excited/happy and she looks at your and does it again, lift her up without saying a word and put her in her crib, playpen in another room, or wherever.  That way you don't get into a battle of wills - but she probably won't do it if she's not getting your attention.  Alternatively, YOU can remove yourself - you are too loud, it hurts Mommy's ears and leave the room, abruptly.  And if you're holding her, put her down and walk away.  If she really wants to be near you (and most toddlers this age really still do) she'll learn to modify (not stop, just modify).

4.  finally, if she's off in another room doing it, you may need to put up with it, as 19 month olds don't know about appropriate indoor voices, blah blah.

5. And if she's angry about something, let that go - you can't reason with a tantrum and she can't 'hear' you until she's calmed down.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

ditto on the screaming noise... how they get the perfect pitch is beyond me. DS is still easily distracted, so I use one of CT's methods- the clapping or giving him a raspberry or something to move onto something else.  now, if i try to copy the noise, he moves the pitch around to get me to copy him... works like a charm.

along with the CIO, I am actually on this morning because DS had a weird spell over the weekend, where he was hysterically screaming for me the whole weekend at sleep times. Typically, he is never a problem with naps or bedtimes, and always goes to bed awake. But this weekend, he was not having it. Screamed, hysterically, and even DH said it sounded like his mad scream (not hurt or anything), but on the monitor, he was just standing there by the door (no throwing things like other mad episodes). We checked on him, gave him hugs and pats, but it almost seemed to make it worse. once he got to the point of the coughing/ gagging noises (because he was so upset), I picked him up and rocked him, he was out in 2 minutes. He was also up in the middle of the night a few times, same thing. hysterical unless we brought him into our bed (took me 3 hours to give in on Friday, but only 2 hours on Saturday evening). Last night he was back to normal, went down awake without a fuss. we are working on more teeth, but I am not sure what this is? does this randomly happen to others? DS is almost 17 months.  He had croup a week ago, and was up in the middle of the night, and we did bring him into our bed, but the week was normal in between.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Winter - poor you.
    I never have taken my twins to bed with us. I'm so afraid that if I do, I'll never get them out again. Also - DH is afraid he'll roll onto them...and he's 240lbs.
    That being said, babies and toddlers go through periods when they wake and cry, even if they have been good sleepers. Could be teething or just a phase.  My DS cried for 8 weeks, every night when he turned 2. Sometimes at 10pm, sometimes at 2am - sometimes it was easy to soothe him back down and sometimes it wasn't.
    I would go in a soothe, and stay in the room until he fell back asleep (Sleep Lady technique). It wasn't easy, and I got tired, but one day he just stopped and we were back to the peaceful nights.
    I would never try CIO now that my twins are older (2 1/2) - I can't imagine listening them cry for me. But I also think that whatever you choose to do, you should stick with it.  I'm worried that waiting for 2 or 3 hours and then bringing him to bed with you is only going to teach him to "hang in there." If you want to bring him into bed with you for a few nights - just do it.  If you don't want to - find another soothing method that works for you and stick with it. I had a twin bed in my twins room when they were still in their cribs so I could lie down in their room if need be.
    I'd say if rocking works for now, give that a try if he gets fussy.
    Good luck!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

As an aside to the article on CIO. A mother on my MOT website has told us that not every article on Psychology Today is peer reviewed, researched or vetted. Some are, but others are more like opinion pieces. I think most of the general public doesn't know this and assumes that PT articles have been researched by professionals.
    The bottom line is that in some cases what they are posting online isn't any more valid than any other random website - so keep that in mind.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

Misslily very true- PT is a very "pop psychology" magazine- not a research journal.

And, just to make sure I was clear (because it sounds like I wasn't!!)... the "overnights" DS was out of the crib, being rocked in my lap to be calmed, but then everytime I tried to put him down alone, he would immediately jump up and start with the screaming again.  it was with nap times and bedtimes that i tried the soothing and leaving (which wasn't working either).

maybe last night is a signal that it is over... but