December - Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Re: December - Infants and Toddlers

Winter, what you describe sounds like a night terror to me.
    I would say it especially sounds like a night terror if he's standing and appears to be awake at first glance but then doesn't respond to your soothing as if he's still asleep.  My daughter has these from time to time but she had them A LOT at about 18-20 months.  Maybe it's developmental?  I don't know.  She would be hysterical and physically trying to escape, panicked.  Then after some rocking and soothing speech she would eventually kind of snap out of it and seem confused -- I guess she was waking up?  and then she'd be scared and clingy but could go back to sleep.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

CT- I am going to try that advice about the screaming, thank you so much!

We are the last people in the world it seems to give up the bucket seat, but we finally installed the convertible car seat this weekend with some regret (we love the bucket and the snap and go!). DD is almost 16 months and just under 20lbs.

So Monday's are the day my daughter takes the train with me to my mom's house. We put her in the umbrella stroller with the three point harness and it was a big mistake! She was all over the place, throwing herself around happily trying to get out of her carriage. I took her out and she sat with me and enjoyed looking out the window, but I was all skeeved out about everything she was touching. When it was time to get off the train, she would not get back in the carriage and I had to manage getting flayling child off the train with the empty carriage along with it.

It was probably a bad idea to let her out of the carriage, but I am thinking I probably need a new, sturdier stroller with a 5 point harness for sure. My mom's club classifieds has a MacLaren for $75, which is seriously way more than I have ever paid for a stoller before. Is it worth it? She says it was originally $239 and in perfect condition.

Winter, glad your son is feeling better, but I am sorry to hear he's not letting anyone sleep well! I know sometimes after an illness their is a typical readjustment to the rules, I wish I had advice but I only have sympathy!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

thanks Lissafro- will read more on the topic...

thanks ML, I am no help, we have a citi mini- I love it, but it was a lot of money!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Winter, that stinks.  Been there!
    We have had both night terrors like lissa mentioned, and also "other".  They are really different.
    Night terrors: crying doesn't stop and usually gets worse if we pick her up.  Lots of flailing.  Does not happen at bedtime/naptime; instead, happens at some point during the night.  For us it is/was usually 2-3 hours after going to sleep.  More likely to happen if it was a super crazy day or if she was overtired by the time she went to bed.

Other: who knows??  We went through a spell two months ago similar to what you're describing.  I think my thread on here about it is called something like "14 month old deteriorating situation" or something.  I got a lot of great advice!  Ultimately, we just stuck to a plan we could live with and it went away.  So the bad news is that it lasted a week or two.  The good news is that then we had 8 blissful weeks.  And then this week we had two bad nights again, so who knows??

ETA: here is the link to the other thread where I got lots of good advice and support.  Hope some of it applies!
    http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a982ab641-9368-4d63-9123-280cf0ac364aForum%3a41ef5f16-e634-4f31-b052-eab905b86d8bDiscussion%3aa1fc2a8b-efe3-43c1-882f-10dc48f426b7

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I reread your post more carefully and I realize you were describing his behavior at bedtime for part of that.  I agree with medford, that doesn't seem like night terrors.  If it were the middle of the night, maybe.  it sounds like maybe it's a control  issue in some ways.  He remembers you being there for him when he was sick and now he's seeing if the rules are the same

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

thanks guys. I went back and reread the old postings... the talk of sneaky critters is pretty interesting...

He went to bed last night fine (second night in a row) but woke up again at 2:30. I gave him tylenol (I know that he is getting molars, plus some additional front teeth) and tried laying on the floor next to the crib. so at that point, he tried to climb out to be with me. but he was much more calm with me in the room.

also got an email from isis this morning talking about moving kids out of cribs... he is around 34 inches, and they recommend at 35 inches you start to think about it... I think that is another huge fear of mine, given I am raising a child who I swear is part monkey (and why the ear plugs wouldn't work for me.)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Winter - I had to take my kids out of their cribs at 22 months because my two monkeys were climbing out - and also climbing over into each others cribs - which they thought was sooooo funny.
    Per the pedi's instructions I had to take everything out of the room. They sleep together on a queen size mattress (still in sleep sacks) and there is nothing else but a pile of stuffed animals and a few books.
    No bureau, side table, lamp etc. I also took the door off and put up a gate because my DS loves to open and close doors and I was afraid he'd get her fingers caught (we've come close to that a few times).
    I asked the pedi recently if I should try and transition them to beds with pillows and blankets etc. and he said, "are they sleeping well?" I told him they were and he said, "then don't mess with it."
    The transition wasn't easy at first - they would run around the room playing instead of going to sleep - naps were a total disaster for about 10 days. But we finallyl settled in. Naps are now easier than nighttime (I have no idea why) and the good thing is that when one is having a bad night - there is room for me to sprawl on the big mattress with them until they fall back to sleep. Hopefully some day I'll be able to move their bureau, bookcase, bedside table and lamps back into their room!
    I'm sure you'll find a better solution than mine - but just remember that whatever works for you and your son may not be what "most people" do.
    Good luck!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Misslily, that's too funny.
    Winter, we are on the same Isis e-mail schedule. :)  Except I was laughing because our LO is so incredibly far from being done with the crib.

The other thing I learned in our recent sleep travails was that sometimes there is more than one thing.  We had the bedtime troubles, which I think were control and just wanting us, like Lissa said, but then overtiredness did also lead to quasi night terrors (or "confusional awakening", per Ferber).
    In the end, what *seemed* to work for us was a combination of a later bedtime, uber-consistency at bedtime and nighttime wakings, and leaving her alone if it seemed like it was "confusional" (i.e. she wasn't really awake).  I'm sure what will work for you will be different!
    Reading Ferber helped me A LOT because it was a lot of information about sleep, different types of problems, and different case studies.  He has an untrue reputation for being just a book about CIO.  It was only one teeny part of the book and one suggestion.  We didn't do the pattern he suggested for CIO and I still found the book really helpful.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

medford, it is on my list after reading the other email string... assuming I can stay awake to read tonight.
    thanks!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

My turn...now I need some advice.  My DD (16.5 months) has now gotten into the habit of going "aaahhh, aahhhh, aahhh" and holding her arms in the air when she wants something.  It is not so much a scream, but more of a moan combined with a whine.....hard to describe.  She will do it when she wants some milk, when she wants to get up on the couch, when she wants to be held.  Basically when there is anything that she wants.  I know she is just trying to communicate and she only has about 15 words in general, so she is just telling us what she wants.  But it sounds like she is whining and I don't know if there is something I should do to make sure it doesn't continue.  When she does it I have been saying back to her, "can you say please?" while she is still doing the noise and then I give her what she wants.  I don't think she has any idea what please means though.  And there are obviously times that she does this and I do not allow her to do what she wants if it is something not allowed (like the other day when she wanted to climb up a ladder).  Any advice?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Memes - Just wanted to chime in with my empathy as we are also going through that and I haven't been sure of the best way to deal with it, since I'd rather pour hot coffee all over myself than encourage whining.  I've been trying to get her to "show me what you want", hoping she'll point and do her "I want" sign instead of that whine.  So far it only works occasionally.  I"m also doing a lot of naming of things so that hopefully once she's speaking more she'll know how to say what she wants.  I'm sure you're doing all this as well so this probably is not helpful, but I feel your pain and also wonder how to best handle!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I can give you some tips from my SLP. When they do Ahhh, Ahhh for something, you say "Cup, you want your cup." (or whatever). Try to model the words so they can start to learn. Offer a choice - "do you want the ball or the truck?" And repeat a lot - "Up...you want up"And keep narrating your day so they will learn the words. "Mommy is cutting apples." "Here is your milk" etc.

I don't think you are encouraging whining at this age - I think they are trying to communicate the only way they know how. As soon as the words come - they will start to use them. :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Hi everyone, I'm back to the boards after enjoying my maternity leave. I can't believe DD is 13 weeks now, and just started day care. I'm so sad to have to go back to work and really mourned the end of my maternity leave.

DS is 3 now and loves his little sister-such a sweet big brother- I've been really surprised at how awesome he is with her. he's very protective of her. However, he is a handful with me when I'm alone with the two kids. Definitely letting me know he's not a huge fan of sharing attention, he was great in the beginning and the past two weeks have been tough.

DS starts preschool next week and I'm really hoping some of his unfavorable behaviors will cease (like constantly saying "p00p")-hopefully being around the older kids will help model his behavior-his day care room is filled with young 2 year olds...I pray this is so. I really think he's ready for more challenges and will become less challenging as his day is expanded.

off to go catch up on things...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

best of luck, KAM!
    Thanks for the advice, misslily.

Memes - me too.  I've been trying to do like Poppy says... I often say "can you show me what you want?" or "can you point to what you want?" because sometimes I don't know what it is.  Then I say something like "you want that book.  you're telling me you want me to read the book.  You can read the book right now.  And I will read the book after I blah blah blah..."  or "you want the knife.  But you can't have the knife because it's dangerous and not for babies blah blah blah..."  After that much blathering from me, the whining is usually done.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

Good Luck Kam!  It is rough upon return.  I am already dreading it with number 2.
    Meme...are you using signs at all?  DS has picked up a lot of words through signing so when I know he wanted his cup we would do the sign for drink and I found he picked up the sign quicker when I used his hands to make the sign.  He still uses signs now but at 19 months his vocabulary has exploded and I kind of miss them as he was soooo cute.  I also dont think it is whining just lack of communication skills which will develop.   Whining to me is when they keep going after you say no and at a later age...
    I also agree with repetition, repetition, repetition of words.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Hi all, making the switch from pregnancy to infants and toddlers, and I need some advice.  DD is 3 weeks old tomorrow, and is such a wiggle worm that she rolls herself onto her side while sleeping, and then squirms around so she is perpendicular in the crib. 

We keep her swaddled at night and during naps, and I don't know how to keep her in one place.  It's not as big of a deal in the crib in the nusery, since she can actually fit length-wise. But in the cradle in our bedroom, she wakes up crying and I find her with her head against the sides on a diagonal.  I reposition her, but find her the same way the next time. 

Any advice, considering we are not supposed to use bumpers or blankets?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Jennifyr - congrats on the birth of your DD.
    I know lots of people sleep with their babies for a long time, but if she's not comfortable in the cradle, maybe you just have to give up on that idea and put her down in her crib. Or put her in a full size pack & play in your room instead.
    I would avoid any sort of bumpers since she can already get onto her side - that would be a SIDS hazard IMO.
    The reason I'm suggesting the crib is that I had my twins in their cribs from day one - so it's not unheard of not to have them sleep in with you.  I found that I had no problem hearing them on the monitor and DH got a much better night's sleep (so he could go to work the next day). Anyway - it's something to think about.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Thanks Misslily.  I can leave her in the crib, but then I wonder if she'll wake up with her head against the slats there too.  It could happen now, depending on the angle of her movements, and might be worse once she is a little bigger and can't fit cross-wise.

*Update:  I put her in her crib instead of her cradle last night and she slept in better stretches - 2-3 hours instead of 1 hour.  Not sure if that's due to the size of the bed, or the fact that she can't hear us, or that we can't hear her until she gets loud.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Congratulations, jennifyr!
    Our LO is a wiggle worm, too.  She (16 months) is almost never at the same orientation when she wakes up.  I think it's great that she slept better in the crib.  Don't worry about the day coming when she can't fit crosswise -- it's likely that she will also learn to wiggle worm herself away.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Jen- you'll hear her. I swear something happens to you once you become a mom. Lots of us are absolutely sure that we wake up BEFORE the baby! I was worried that even the monitor wouldn't wake me, but I ended up turning it off because it was so sensitive I could hear every breath. You'll hear her cry, I promise. :)
    So glad she slept longer in the crib.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

How I've missed reading these posts!  Between work being insanely busy and the holidays I haven't had time to log on as much (but I've been lurking). 

Poppy-Congrats on #2!  Wishing you a healthy 9 months. 

Winter-I'm sorry to hear about DS.  DD has also been occasionally waking up during the night due to a variety of issues (colds and teething are the primary culprits).  I've had varying success with letting her CIO, bringing her into our bed (which works best if DH is not in the bed), and comforting her for a brief time and bringing her back to her crib.  One of my goals is to brush up on Weissbluth sometime next week to see what he recommends. 

Memes-I try to do what MissLilly suggested.  I also have some success if I ask her to show me what she wants. 

AFM, DD turned 17 months yesterday!  She is talking up a storm and trying to repeat alot of what is said to her.  She has also learned the power of the word "no," and sometimes its difficult to tell if she really means no or if that is the word du jour.  She's really enthralled with Christmas and it will be interesting to see if she has any interest in opening presents this year. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

For Mama's of babies 14 months - 18 months, how is your child with focus? I've been taking DD (16 months) to story hour at the local library and she doesn't sit and pay attention to the story like other 14-18 month olds in the group who all seem to sit happily in laps or on mats and listen to the story. She wanders around the room but I do think she is getting some of the story based on the words, songs or motions she uses later in the day.

I am definitely overly sensitive about it because my husband has ADD and it was something we worried about before having kids. It's not that I think she has ADD, I'm just wondering if I am just overly sensitive and focused on her self-control and ability to concentrate or if it is a concern at this point - and I'm wondering where we are in the range of normal.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Jennifyr - we also put DS in the crib his first week home.  We did the bassenet within the pack and play for 3 nights and then decided on the crib.  You should see the positions he gets himself into.  Sometimes a leg is sticking out, sometimes he's completely up against the side.  You'd be surprised how those little ones can sleep.  Now, if she's waking up and upset, then I guess its something to think about.  My SIL used those sleep positioners, but I think those are a no-no now.

ML - my DS (14.5 mths) has no focus for books.  We can hardly get through one that is only a few pages.  He loves to flip through them on his own, but really can't sit and listen (whether on a lap or the floor).  

Question, and sorry if this is gross.  My DS has been waking up with what sounds like a gob of phlegm every morning.  He hacks and coughs it up, (as an adult would), but then just swallows it back (don't think he knows how to spit).  I just feel so bad every morning as he struggles with the cough (once it actually made him vomit).  He doesn't cough at all during the day... its just that first wake-up, clearing his throat.  Any thoughts on how to loosen or help him with this.  We've got the humidifier going.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Expectorant is for loosening tight chest phlegm and expelling it.  No other ingredient does that (cough suppressant, for instance, actually prevents coughing/expelling).  Mucinex (plain) is an expectorant.  See if it's safe for a child your age.  Otherwise, you can do what my grandmother did, put his head over a steaming bowl of boiling water with a towel or put me in the bathroom with the shower on 100% hot for 20 minutes.  Steam is a natural expectorant.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

ML - I will say that when I had my EI evaluation for my kids, one of the things they noticed with DS was his low attention span (although they made no mention of ADD or any other disorder).  They felt it was part of the reason he has been slower acquiring language skills. So if you are concerned you can always get an EI evaluation.  DS has a developmental specialist who comes and helps him with his focus.  He's much more attentive than he was 8 months ago. Personally I think most of it is that he's a boy and wants to run around instead of doing something more passive.  Perhaps that's all it is with your DD too.

Sections
Shortcuts