December Infants & Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Re: December Infants & Toddlers

Hi all.  Happy December.  I've been having trouble posting lately.  My DD is 6.5 months old.  She started cereal and purees around 5 months old.  She takes 3 6-oz bottles at daycare (doesn't always finish them - but they also use that milk for making cereal).  She also eats breakfast there (oatmeal) and lunch (some veg/fruit).  She also gets a little bit of oatmeal and veg for dinner when we get home.  Sounds like a lot, but she's still just a peanut (15th percentile for weight at her last checkup) so as long as she's happy, all is good!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

One other thing I forgot to mention... in relation to IPW's question.  My DD will not take a bottle from me, but takes them well from other people (Daddy, daycare teachers).  It's like she knows that what she really wants is right there, so she protests!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from malw. Show malw's posts

Will just throw it out there.  My 6 1/2 month old drinks 4 x 8 oz bottles, plus 3 "meals" (about 2 oz of stage 1 or 2 organic purées) Spaced out during day.  32 oz over 4 feedings has been stable for about 2 months now.  7am, 11am (after nap), 3pm (after nap) and 6:45pm.  We expected the liquid to go down as she added solids, but she still seems to want it even though she has "meals" at 8, 12 and 5.  After watching me doing night feelings with the twins at 9 months, a super-mom friend filled me in - The more food (of any type) you can get in during the day, the faster they start making it through the night without needing to eat.  Feed more and often during the day, feed less and sleep more at night.  Good luck.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from malw. Show malw's posts

In response to siena09's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was raised vegetarian and plan to do the same with DD, so I wouldn't be inclined to sweat the meat consumption. Protein deficiencies are exceedingly rare in the developed world, but if you're worrying, think about beans, lentils, soy products, and nuts. Some ideas of popular/common/easy veggie protein sources: hummus, peanut butter, plain tofu (kids tend to love plain tofu--you can serve it raw and it is so mild and kid friendly), lentil soup, beans & rice, bean tacos, minestrone (with beans).

DD is doing great. She has started rolling back to front, and eating solid foods.  Exciting stuff!  Now if only she would stop waking up twice every night, so her mama could get some more sleep!

Re. newborn nap schedules: DD needed a nap after every 90 minutes of wakefulness. Ideally, I would start soothing her down after being awake for 80 minutes.  It was like clockwork. She is just now starting to space out her naps further than that. If she was really stimulated, she would skip naps, but it would lead to a lot of crankiness and more trouble sleeping later in the day. 

Around 6 weeks of age, she started to fall asleep at her 8 pm "nap time" and staying asleep for 3-4 hours, so that turned into the beginning of her night sleep time.

Re. flat head: Don't worry too much, and just keep doing back to sleep (for naps too).  SIDS is way worse than a flat head, which is a purely cosmetic thing.  And even with the flat heads, it's not the flatness per se that is the problem (hair covers that, and it is not noticeable on older kids & adults). Doctors worry if the head is asymmetrically flattening, not just flat in the back in a symmetric way.  Your pediatrician will screen for this at every appointment (even if they don't talk about it, it is something they check).

What you can do to help is tummy time and rotate babies orientation in the crib, to encourage her to look out to both sides to see into the room.  Favoring one side is what can cause the asymmetric flattening.

We had a lot of discussions about flat heads at my house bc my MIL became obsessed with the idea that DD had a flat head. DH is a surgeon who routinely evaluates babies for this problem and neither he nor our pediatrician thought that DD had the problem. But that didn't stop MIL from nagging us about it for a month or so... 

THis website has some great suggestions about tummy time, for the skeptical babies (which seems to be pretty much all babies when they are really little):

http://mamaot.com/2012/03/25/tips-for-making-tummy-time-a-little-less-um-miserable/

[/QUOTE]

SIDS is much much worse.  My now 3 year old daughter wore a helmet for about 6 months.  While she learned to walk, it was actually awesome :-) not kidding.  She never once got hurt in all the times she fell.  her head was a bit flat at four months, but just bad by 6 months - she doesnt move in her sleep once she finds "her spot".  Which is flat on her back even now.  She still has a flat spot, even though she's "within the normal spectrum" now.  

A friend of mine recognized early that her son was developing a flat head and went in for an in between check up (which honestly just hadn't occurred to me).  He was sent right over to Children's and got a "head cup" for sleep that totally fixed him, very easily.  

Worth a a call and pedi visit now if you're worried.  But helmets aren't that bad, I promise!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Wow, big variety in consumption.  DS is 7 months and he is now taking 2 5-6 ounce bottles at daycare.  Plus nursing first thing in the morning and before bed, and around 3 AM about half the nights.  He eats a lot of solid food, though.  We don't give him solid breakfast, but he has lunch and dinner and for each meal he eats probably 4-6 ounces of puree, thickened with baby oatmeal.  Before starting solids, though, he was still only doing 3 5-6 ounce bottles at daycare.

Can't remember who said this above, but DS was cranky on Sunday as well!  Sick and teething... now the first tooth has finally cut through and it's a top one!  So surprised.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

We had another rough night.  DS was up from 2:30 - 4 am crying.  I couldn't figure out what was wrong with him.  Finally gave him some milk and got him back down but this mama is exhausted.  Not sure if he has another tooth coming through.  He's been great during the day, no signs of pain and went to bed fine so I'm a little lost.  Hoping for a better night tonight!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

clc - Has he been pulling at his ears?  Sometimes if they have an ear infection laying down at night can hurt.  Maybe thats why he is waking up?  Or it could be a tooth?  Hopefully tonight will be a better night.

DS has been waking up as well.  But like 2 hours after he goes to bed then he is up for a little while.  He wants to come out of his room and watch tv with us then about 15 minutes later he goes back to bed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I feel like I am behind with getting DS to eat solids. He is 7 months, but just eats 1/2 puree or a little cereal, and not even every day. He did eat 3/4 of a banana puree yesterday, I have been mostly trying to start with vegetables, but maybe he is more of a sweet tooth. I am going to offer more fruits and see if he takes more. 

I think all these weather changes are doing a number on everyone's ability to sleep. This weekend both kids were up in the middle of the night (DS at two hour intervals, not hunger/growth spurt, since he didn't reall nurse, just woke up and went right back to sleep when held.) 

I hope everyone else is doing well. Happy holidays!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

My DD is 7 weeks and in a 24-hr period usually does six 3-4 oz bottles and we'll do one BF session in the morning, but I think she gets very little from that. It's mostly comforting for her. I'm still feeling out her consumption because sometimes she'll house a 4-oz and other times she just wants half of fit, altough there isn't a pattern yet. She does sleep from 11 pm to 7 am, which has been awesome.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MEAC2009. Show MEAC2009's posts

Hi! It's Mo41083 with a new sn, I've been having trouble posting for the last couple months so I finally gave up and started a new sn. Chicklet, I'm so happy to hear that you're doing BLW, we've been doing it for about 6 months (can't believe DD is almost 1!) and it's so much fun. Let me know if you have questions. Glad to be back!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

MEAC - Welcome back! How do you manage DD's sodium intake with BLW? We do okay, but I never know what to do when we have marinated meats. My take it to just give him a piece and let him go to town but DH is worried that we're giving him too much salt. I'm curious to see how other people handle it.

I'm having a gifting dilemma... DS has two daycare teachers for most of the day. They leave at 3 and a third teacher comes in for the afternoon. He has another teacher who was in his room for 3 months covering another teacher's maternity leave, but she's now in the classroom next door (which DS is moving into mid-January). I made scarfs for all four of those teachers for Christmas. I get to school today to find that DS got a gift from his teachers and the two teachers next door. I didn't make a scarf for the other teacher next door. She's fairly new and I don't know her all that well (I actually thought she was part-time). I definitely can't crank out a scarf tonight, so now I don't know what to do. I'm leaning towards giving her the scarf I made for the afternoon teacher and then getting the afternoon teacher something else entirely, but I feel bad. Tomorrow is DS's last day at daycare before Christmas so I need to figure this out tonight. (PS. I know I'm probably overthinking this...)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Chiclet - does he drink water to balance the sodium?  Also, I am impressed you made scarves!

Amy lynn - while my DS is going nuts for solids, my DD was very slow like that.  It was a long time before she even would take a whole little jar.  That said my DS does get most of his veg with fruit, a little apple into the carrots, pears into the peas, etc.  The pouch of pre-mixed spinach pear mango has been a favorite for both of them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

He doesn't drink water yet. I meant to ask about it at his 6 month appointment but I totally forgot. I did ask at his 4 month appointment about introducing the sippy cup but the doctor said that he's had such issues with feeding, we're better off not introducing something new. At this point, I don't want to do anything that stops him from gaining weight. He's lost almost half a pound this week. It's probably from teething but it doesn't stop me from worrying. I think he shot up another inch. He seems much higher in his car seat. I need to measure him when I get home today and see how much clearance he has from the top. I think we're in the last few weeks of the bucket seat. He's growing up too fast!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MEAC2009. Show MEAC2009's posts

Hi Chicklet, we started BLW in June/July so grilled mariniated meats were a big part of our diet. I tried to remember to take some of the meat out before we marinated it but I didn't worry too much if she did get a piece that was marinated. She didn't eat a ton of meat at first, mostly veggies and fruits which are mostly water so I think it balanced out. She pretty much lived off of watermelon when it was really hot. A nice side effect has been that we've started using a lot less sodium in our food from doing BLW. 

We give her a sippy cup of water with every meal but she mostly plays with it and thinks it's funny to squirt the water out of her mouth. I'm not sure what we're going to do at 1 year when we start weaning her off of bottles completely and on to just sippy cups. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Had our 6 mo appt today, and the doctor suggested introducing a sippy cup with water.  Exciting!

Re. solid foods: DD has gotten more and more enthusiastic about these.  For her, we just offered them consistently every day, but never force it. If she is content and opening her mouth for the bites, we keep offering.  If she was fussing, getting stressed or disinterested, we stop.  

We offered a very small amount of oatmeal daily for a week, then added a 2nd meal of a fruit or veggie (adding a new fruit or veggie to her repertoire every 3-5 days).

For the first week or two, there was a lot of pushing the food out with her tongue and acting skeptical, but now she doesn't really do that at all.  

Our pediatrician also said we could start some finger foods in the next 1-2 months, but only things like puffs, mum mums, cheerios that will melt on your tongue pretty quickly. She said they are good for practicing fine motor skills. 

And in the interest of promoting sleep training, I think we may introduce a little formula for DD just to mix with her oatmeal cereal. (Bc I am concerned my daytime production is insufficient to carry her through her whole 13 hours of nighttime sleep.)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Chiclet - count me in as someone very impressed by your scarf-making capabilities!!

Just wanted to thank all of you who were so supportive of my nap-hell with DS recently. I'm happy to report that, for whatever reason, we *seem* (knock on wood) to be over that and onto a better phase. He is now napping about 2 hours each afternoon. It's heavenly. He also doesn't scream when I leave the room anymore. I reeeeeeeeeally hope this is a lasting phase!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Happy New Year! I hope everyone who celebrated had a nice Christmas!

Should I be worried that DS (8 months) woke up dry this morning? He ate at least twice from the time we got him ready for bed and when we woke him up for the day. I have a cold and am possibly a little dehydrated (I drank about 100oz of liquid over the course of the day - mostly water, a little milk and a soda at lunch). He had turkey and spinach last night, nothing with added salt. He had some puffies in the morning for snack and his usual 9 oz of breastmilk throughout the day at daycare. He has a little bit of the cough this morning. I don't know if I should call the doctor or just nurse him like crazy tonight. He seems to be in his same generally good mood this morning.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

It is over the course of 24 hours that you need to check for wet diapers (I believe the minimum is like 3-4 wet diapers in 24 hours) - and signs like no tears when crying or no drool that are also a concern, or if there is a lot of vomiting or diarrhea. If he is drinking fine and has wet diapers during the day, you can check in with the doctor but not all babies will have soaking wet diapers overnight.

DD has woken up dry or almost dry from nighttime regularly starting even younger than your DS (but if we leave her in her nighttime diaper for a while after we wake up, she will usually pee before her first change - or she will pee during her first change). Even DS started to have drier diapers in the morning as he got older although it was not until around 18 months before we stopped using overnight diapers and just used a regular diaper for night time.

If you are concerned that your own illness is causing you to have a dip in the supply thus reducing his fluid intake, is it an option to offer water in a sippy cup or such? We have done that with DD before her one year mark, offer her water with meals and then nursing whenever, and if it seemed like she was thirsty, we would offer her a cup or bottle of water.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

CWag - That makes me feel so much better! I think DS may be a little congested and drinking might be hard for him right now. I've been able to pump my normal amount, so I don't think it's me. DS seems to be back to normal today. The doctor did say we could give him a sippy cup with a little bit of water. I haven't tried it yet, but it's nice to have that on standby.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Thanks for all the responses about bottles/food at daycare. After being on vacation for the holidays and exclusively BFing DS, he is now refusing to take any bottles. I am kicking myself for not giving him at least one bottle every day -- I just didn't think a 7-month-old baby would suddenly refuse bottles.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice on how to get him to take a bottle again? I'm afraid the poor boy is going to starve at daycare, and he's on the small side so he really can't afford to lose weight.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

OOH.  JL, I'm sorry you're going through that.  I appreciate the reminder, too - with snow days for us these two days, it will end up being almost 2 weeks since DS has had a bottle.  Maybe I should have DH try one.

I don't have any great advice; my DD did that but at a much younger age.  What worked then was perseverance and making it very very warm.  But I have no idea if that would apply now.  How's he doing with solids?  Could you mix milk into the solids to make sure he's getting enough during the day?

We're doing okay here but DS had his first bad illness with fever.  (He's been off and on colds for months, but this was way worse.  I hate glassy eyes!)  He's better now, thankfully, but he's still waking up a lot and last night he was up from 8:30 to 10:30 just SCREAMING.  Not sure what to do with him.  Not sure if it's still illness, or if it could just be teeth.

Sections
Shortcuts