dental care?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Re: dental care?

Winter - I have not added my husband to my dental for the same reason.  He requires nothing more than a cleaning and it costs less just to pay cash.  I am guessing the same will be true for your toddler.  I likely won't add until DD is older.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from keane5050. Show keane5050's posts

My daughter was covered for 2 cleanings per year under our health insurance plan (Harvard Pilgrim) until age 12.  She then had to go onto out dental plan.  Check out your coverage.

As I remember, her first dental appointment was at about 18 months.  I wanted to get her used to it.  The poor kid had no enamel on her back teeth so she had to have a filling at age 3.  She was a trooper and cooperated without complaint.  Fortunately her adult teeth are fine.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

I agree with others about looking for a pediatric dentist.  My brother is actually in training to become a pediatric dentist, and it requires an extra 2 years of education/training.  So, they definitely have more experience and knowledge about working with kids.  Also, my DD will not let me go near her mouth, but she will let my brother look around at her teeth....so he already has the magic touch!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Redsoxfan76. Show Redsoxfan76's posts

DD is 9 mo. and I am the first to admit that I don't think my hormones have righted themselves yet - but Michelle your story just made me tear up. Just imagining my own poor little DD sitting in a chair being brave and them being told to suck it up makes me want to find this hygenist and punch her in the face!

She is too young for me to add much to the discussion besides that but I had to comment on your story! So sad!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Redsoxfan76. Show Redsoxfan76's posts

*THEN being told....*

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

I would say go to a pediatric dentist, as they have a lot of "fun" stuff at the office and the patience to deal with a scared toddler.  Also, I have heard the incidence of decay in baby teeth (and needing fillings) is very high these days, so it seems good to get a look in there.

For us, after we took my 2.5 year old for the first time it helped because she is much more akin to me brushing her teeth every night knowing that the DENTIST told me to do it lol!

Something to consider- how much does a visit cost out of pocket?  And how much would the insurance be for the year to add your child?  They say you should go twice per year, but we are just taking her once, as she is very good about brushing and has a low sugar diet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Michelle, I want to slap that dentist for you!  In fact, I think if you tell us where she is many of us would stand in line for the privelege to do so.

FWIW, at our 1 year pediatrician appt yesterday she said the AAP recommends going to a pediatric dentist at 1 year old/appearance of first tooth (!), but then in the same breath basically said, "And good luck finding a dentist who will see her at that age."  THen she said unless we have specific concerns or notice something odd, it's fine to wait until she's 3.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

thanks everyone! and michelle, I feel the same way. It is amaxing to me that some people who work with children, have no idea of how development occurs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

When did you all start giving flouride toothpaste? Our daughter will be 3 in January and is a really proficient spitter.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Lemon - I read somewhere that once they can spit and know not to swallow the toothpaste, you can go ahead and switch over to flouride.
    My two just suck toothpaste off the brushes and fight about brushing.  It's like trying to brush teeth on cats. (sigh)
    We have spin brushes, and regular brushes and they like Mama's brush - but there is very little actual brushing going on.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Lemon- I am still using toddler toothpaste with DD (who will be 3 in 2 weeks). But she is a toothpaste eater. I tried giving her a little of my toothpaste the other day, and that she spit out, right away! It was 
    "too spicy!" But that was Crest Super Minty, and I really didn't expect her to brush with it. I'm afraid if I get her a fruity kids paste with fluoride she will just eat it like she does her toddler stuff. Maybe I should just switch her to super minty, but then I don't think she'd brush at all.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

My daughter's sitter taught her to spit toothpaste. I swear, I don't know what I would do without that woman.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I hear you on that - I don't think DD would be potty trained without her daycare - they did most of the hard work, it seems like to me. They brush teeth at daycare, but they don't use toothpaste. So they haven't taught her to spit. I try, but she just laughs and swallows the toothpaste. Sometimes she even tries to get more to eat. Frown

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If it makes you feel better, my hygenist told me that despite what toothpaste ads say, toothpaste is essentially useless compared to the physical action of the toothbrush itself regarding total mouth health.