Desperately seeking Attachment Parenting friendly doctor

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tufts2121. Show tufts2121's posts

Desperately seeking Attachment Parenting friendly doctor

Hi Everyone, I moved out of the city last year after having our baby to be closer to family on the Southcoast. I have an 11 month old who I suspect is having some kind of silent reflux or pain that does not allow her to sleep flat for more than an hour at a time. My current pediatrician told me it was because I would not let her "cry it out" and refuses to here my concerns beyond that. I am now at the point where the hour drive into the city seems like no big deal to get better care. So I am seeking recommendations for a doctor in the Boston/Cambridge area that will not give me a hard time for not letting her cry it out, who understands a delayed vaccine schedule (not opposed to vaccines, just need to spread them apart a bit due to sensitivities) etc.. I am not super crunchy, but I do need a doctor that understands and appreciates some non-traditional approaches. Thank you very much! Merry

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Re: Desperately seeking Attachment Parenting friendly doctor

Obviously it's time for a change of doctor. If you LO does have reflux it is a fairly easy fix. There are things like Baby Gaviscom that help ease the acid and gas.
    My twins were sleeping 12 hours straight at 11 months.
    You and your baby both need some sleep!
    Perhaps a call to Children's Hospital to seek a visit with the gastro doctor and/or the sleep doctors over there.
    Good luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml26202. Show ml26202's posts

Tufts, sorry to hear about this and wish I had some suggestions for you. I'm up on the North Shore.

FWIW, we practice attachment parenting and we don't overshare at our doctor's appointments. We are really comfortable and sure of our choices, and while our pedi knows we co-sleep, we never asked his opinion about it (or anything else really). We never asked their opinion on the alternative schedule either, and beyond saying "we'll do the alternative schedule" there was no discussion.

He's a great doctor, has a wait and see approach we like and he travels extensively with a specialty in international adoption. We felt he was worldly enough to get where we were going. He always teases my husband and asks him how life on the kibbutz is going.

I think some people rely on their pediatrician to help guide them through parenting, and are their go to resource. And some pediatricians act like it's their responsibility to guide parents. Our pediatrician checks our daughters health, makes sure she's meeting her milestones. But for parenting advice, etc. I honestly go here, or I just ask a mom who shares my philosophy.

My own personal doctor is 35 minutes from my house. Honestly, it's a huge PITA if I am sick and I often find myself at the CVS minute clinic instead (wouldn't take DD there though!) . I can't imagine doing an hour + each way with a kid with an ear infection or strept. If you can, find someone local and just consider taking a different, no discussion approach.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I'm sorry, I don't have any recommendations for you, Tufts, but this thread has me wondering about the term "attachment parenting."  I don't know if I know what this is, exactly.  Can anyone point me to online resources for reading up about it?  Thanks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Desperately seeking Attachment Parenting friendly doctor:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry, I don't have any recommendations for you, Tufts, but this thread has me wondering about the term "attachment parenting."  I don't know if I know what this is, exactly.  Can anyone point me to online resources for reading up about it?  Thanks.
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fazel2012. Show fazel2012's posts

FWIW - I don't really consider myself an attachment parenting type person and I don't let my DD CIO either. I don't think anything you've described is really 'non-traditional'. And I think you could probably just find another pedi in your area that supports what you are talking about here.

In regard to a recommendation though I'm not sure where you are but I live south of Boston and go to Bridgewater Pediatrics. Love love love them. I have one of the women doctors there, and I highly recommend both women there. All the nurses are great too.

Good luck!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

I recommend Dr. Deborah James in Cambridge.  I've found her to be insightful, open minded and receptive to discussions about things like vaccine schedules.  She was a great resource when I was a first time mom, and also respectful the decisions we've made for our children.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tufts2121. Show tufts2121's posts

Thank you all very much! For the record I am not 100% attachment parenting but as far as terms go, that is the one that reflects us the most. I really appreciate the advice, Merry

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I second Dr. Deborah James.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Absolutely, Someguy, if you go into *any* situation with a professional whom you intend to consult because they are the professional, being too defensive from the get-go is going to put them off.  Of course you know your child, you have some information, you have a reasonable concern that should be addressed, but you are consulting them for a reason--because if they didn't know something you don't, you wouldn't be there.

Neither an aggressive attitude, nor the fake-sheepish but coming off as smug "Well, we're, um...one of those...um 'weird' families you hear about...we...um...well, are on a different vaccine schedule...I just, you know, I worry about their little immune systems" [with the not so veiled implication that nobody else cares about their kids like *I* do]  song and dance we all got treated to by one of our playgroup moms, is going to show you as an intelligent, informed, collaborative person.  Neither is claiming allegiance to a particular parenting faction.

Also, you do need to consider the possibility that you might be mistaken.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tufts2121. Show tufts2121's posts

Some guy, I don't know what your problem iis but I am certain you have some issues. I never got confrontational with my doctor, nor did I ever use the term "attachment parenting" with her. I asked for a test for reflux due to our sleep issues and she said no, then she said to put her to bed, shut the door, and come back in the morning. Maybe you think that is okay, but I do not. As far as vaccines go, I requested we spread them out after she had a bad reaction to them. She was up for 48 hours straight. Straight! No nap,no sleep, just moaning for 2 days straight. Never had an opinion before that on vaccines. Thanks to all who had helpful advice.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tufts2121. Show tufts2121's posts

Also I do recognize I might be mistaken, I would just like a doctor that will hear me out long enough to consider testing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Tufts - sounds like a change of doctor is need pronto!  I did some CIO with my kids and I still wouldn't have "closed the door and come back in the morning."
    And up for 48 hours after a vaccine sounds serious.

Probably any other practice near where you live would be better than the doctor you have now.
    Do you know any moms in the area where you live, or perhaps at daycare? Does your town have a "mother's forum" or mother's club you can join?

Good luck!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fazel2012. Show fazel2012's posts

That is an interesting assumption to make, some-guy!

I can't imagine if my DD was up for 48 hours straight! Wow! Not only the lack of sleep but you must have been so worried! Hopefully your doctor would understand your approach with vaccines based on that alone...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

I was going to say sounds like you just need a more sensitive doctor - that comment is heartless and we did do some cry it out.  I cant do attachment parenting but if my doctor had said that to me - I would be looking for another practice as well.  GL I am Metrowest so cant help on the search but agree - I think you can find a better option nearby and not have to drive to the city.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I'm not sure where on the Southcoast you are, but I go to Harvard Vanguard in Quincy. I know they have a Braintree office, so if those work, you could find a pediatrician in the practice. I really like the whole Quincy office, my ped is really sweet, and while we are using the conventional immunization schedule, I know she is open to alternative scheduling as well. The nurses and nurse practioners I have seen are also really great.

There is a 24 hour nurse line if you have any questions, and they are very good about  calling back if they don't have an immediate answer. Also they will have you come in if you are worried about something, and you can usually be seen that day (next day if you call after hours). 

Another thing I like about the practice is that they have tons of information sheets that they can give you, so for example, if you are getting a vaccine it will tell you what the vaccine is, what the dosing schedule is, what are normal reactions, and when to call the doctor.  

I think I agree with many of the previous posters that attachment-friendly or not, I think you just need another doctor who will listen to your concerns and take you seriously.

HTH

Sections
Shortcuts