diaper pail

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

diaper pail

Our Diaper Champ worked really well for the first year, but things have been getting stinkier since and have now reached extinction level. We'd buy another Champ in a second, but it appears that they've changed the design, and the new Champ is getting very poor reviews. Anyone have suggestions?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Re: diaper pail

My aunt bought us the latest Diaper Genie (the II, I believe?). We've had really good luck with it and no odor issues, even as we've approached the magical time where DS is on a more solid diet and the weather is warmer. It has the potential to get nasty, but so far the Diaper Genie is winning.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

thanks, kiwigal. Is it easy to use?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Yup, though I should really let kiwiguy comment on that. It's daddy's job to empty the diaper pail. :)

I will say that a poetntial downside is that you have to use the Diaper Genie liners and they're pricey (imo). You can get the liners at BJs, so we stock up there every few months.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Ugh. I'm not so worried about the cost as about the specialty ordering. I can barely remember to keep regular trash bags stocked in her room. Maybe I should just buy a trash can.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

You can always use Amazon's subscribe and save program.  They'll send you however many liners you want at the same time every month or three months etc.  How ever you choose to space it out.  I know that you get a discount for doing the subscribe and save but I can't remeber exactly.  Amazon also has online coupons too.

My friend uses Diapers.com for everything because she has a hard time getting out of the house to run errands, especially in the winter (they live in Brooklyn, NY and she has twin boys).  I know she has a subscription set up with them so that diapers, wipes, pail liners etc just automatically show up evey three weeks. Diapers.com's prices are competetive to what you would pay in a BJ's/Costco type place. She also uses alice.com for ALL of her household stuff, lol. She's basically a hermit. :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

CQ, had to second your idea about using Amazon's auto delivery.  I use it for the organic spelt flour I bake with; everything from pizza dough to crackers.  I pay less to have it shipped to the house automatically than I would to get it at the grocery store, and I never run out.  Hopefully, someday we'll need Diaper Genie liners. :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

We have a diaper champ that we got used from a friend, so I'm pretty sure it's one of the "old" ones.  Quite honestly, I haven't been super-impressed with it.  We keep it downstairs since that's where most diaper changes happen, but we have just a regular covered trash can upstairs too.  I think the trash can does a better job.  Of course, the smell of both will knock you over when you open them, but closed, there's not a huge difference.

I have some friends who just put the pee diapers in the regular garbage--which gets emptied fairly regularly anyway, and put the dirty diapers directly into the trash barrels outside.  We're thinking about switching to that method.

Another idea is to get as much p00p as you can into the toilet before wrapping and sticking in the disposal container of your choice.  I have to imagine that that would help some.

Good luck!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Every diaper change is a battle of wit, will, and brute strength, so we need something that's really easy to use. We have to keep all our focus on the angry, flailing crab, so we can't get into strategic diaper disposal or multiple disposal methods. Ideally we would install a chute in the wall that feeds directly to our trash. Or, better yet, our neighbor's trash.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Hm, this is interesting because just yesterday a friend was talking up her Diaper Champ, focusing on the fact that it doesn't need special liners.  I'll have to give all that some thought and read reviews.

Love the trash chute idea!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

It appears from the amazon.com reviews that nothing in this cruel world can contain the stink of solid food diapers. And people are angry about it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

As they should be :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

We have a trash can with a lid.  It has a place for deodorizers.  I also have a stick up thing in the bottom of the bag.  If it is too smelly I empty it sooner.  Sometimes I buy the glad bags with odor shield that are slightly scented.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

yes, sh!t stinks. :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

We have a champ, and it's fine... you can still smell it somewhat by the end of the week and more in hot weather, but honestly I am not sure how you're going to get away from that entirely anyway... I generally keep a can of lysol with the bags to change it and give it a spray at the same time, seems to help some.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I might have understated the smell coming from our Champ. Totally empty, freshly cleaned, with a container of baking soda in it, it smells like a dead animal.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

same with the litter box... this hot/humid weather is not doing us any favors... can just imagine when we have both a litter box and a diaper pail in the house.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Teach the baby to use the litter box.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I keep putting them into my shopping cart and removing them. It's just $30, lemonmelon! PULL THE PLUG!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

That's what my husband tells everyone he's going to do.

Yikes!  totally empty smelling like a dead animal... i might have to go with diaper genie!  although, it just may not make a difference - kind of like when the litter box is totally cleaned and I can still smell it from 2 rooms away... (why is it that I was blessed with a sharp sense of smell but my husband seems to lack that sense entirely... unfair)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I think that every pail must absorb odors over time and all you can do is go with the cheapest one. All the positive reviews are from people who used them during the first 6 months and the negatives are from people who used them longer. It seems like the human race has yet to perfect the art of defecating in a bag and saving it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Our friends used to do the craziest thing.  Once her youngest was on solids and BMing like once or twice a day, she would keep a bunch of shopping bags near the changer.  A dirty BM diaper would go in the bag, she'd knot it, and drop it out the window!!!!!!!!!!!  Landed right near the garbage cans in their little trash area/corral.  Her husband would pick up all the little packages before/after work each day and put them in the garbage cans.
    I have the old school diaper champ.  No major complaints.  I do keep an air freshner in the bottom that I change periodically.  Probably once every 6 weeks, we clean it out with spray cleaner and leave it outside and open all day behind our house to air out while at work as the odor is just unavoidable.  I have friends with the Genie, Diaper Dekor - they all smell after the 1 year mark.  I think it is the toddler diet (solids, table food), not the diaper pail.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kiwiguy. Show Kiwiguy's posts

As Kiwigal said, we have the Genie II. I like it. We have been using it for 8 months and no smells at all - so long as you are careful to use it properly. The lid mechanism is kind of funky, but it is designed so that when the lid is shut the liner is sealed = no smell. Even when I open the lid to toss in the dirty diaper there is no smell. It helps that the lid is opened with a foot pad too, so hands are free as required.

You have to use the special liners, but I bought a dozen refills at BJ's and they lasted ages. We would go thru about 3 liners in a two week period.

All in all, I'd recommend the Genie II based on my 8 months experience with it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from parkwayboston. Show parkwayboston's posts

Here is an expression you should get used to saying at the grocery store.  "Double Plastic". 

We have had diaper genies in the past and the best solution has been to wrap up the "stinky" diapers in plastic bags from the grocery store, put them in a pail outside the door and dump them in the trash barrel when they fill up.  This is probably the least expensive way to deal with this "right of passage".

Good Luck form a parent of Four.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

For cleanings in between uses - baking soda is to mild.  We soak our cloth diapers in Borax and water, and that keeps the odor from building up in the plastic.  Try giving your empty container a soak.

For puppy kennel trays  and cat litter boxes, putting in Borax and water to soak a couple of hours before filling them with litter again does the same.
    20 Mule Team Borax - in the laundry section of the market.  Relatively Cheap

(Do not get Boraxo, which is borax plus pumice to clean a mechanic's or garbage man's dirty hands hands - grit)