Diaper Preference and Hospital Bag

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from happy2bpg. Show happy2bpg's posts

Diaper Preference and Hospital Bag

Just curious what brand of diapers all you moms like.    I am due in 5 weeks and the grandparents are starting to price them out at their different stores (Costco and BJ's).  At one point I had heard Pampers was the way to go but I figured I would get some other opinions.   

Actually, while I am at it, I might as well ask another question I have: what did you pack in your bag for the hospital?  I am trying to get it ready and only have my pj's, bathrobe, slippers, toothbrush/paste, etc.   I know I need an outfit for the baby, our "tools" for labor (CD's, massager etc)  and some things for DH but ?????    Every time I go to pack more I get sort of paralyzed, I don't know what's wrong with me!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from culhasa. Show culhasa's posts

Re: Diaper Preference and Hospital Bag

Congrats!! 

I have two boys...a 2 year old and a 5 month old....so here is my advice (but take it with a grain of salt..everyone has their favs/opinions!!)

Diapers - with both my boys I used the costco Kirkland brand in the beginning and love them.  Once my older son started moving around more I switched over to pampers cruisers and I love those.  I also use the Kirkland brand wipes and love those as well.

As for the diaper bag....for my first son I packed everything under the sun....outfits for me, makeup, hair brush, lotions, music, a couple of different baby outfits...you name it.  I had WAY too much!!  :) I think what you have listed is all you need.  (Oh...I would add snacks for DH....that way he can have a snack without having to go down to the caf.) 

Good luck and enjoy.....although the sleepless nights are hard...they grow up so fast....have fun!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

In Response to Diaper Preference and Hospital Bag:
    [QUOTE]Just curious what brand of diapers all you moms like.    I am due in 5 weeks and the grandparents are starting to price them out at their different stores (Costco and BJ's).  At one point I had heard Pampers was the way to go but I figured I would get some other opinions.    Actually, while I am at it, I might as well ask another question I have: what did you pack in your bag for the hospital?  I am trying to get it ready and only have my pj's, bathrobe, slippers, toothbrush/paste, etc.   I know I need an outfit for the baby, our "tools" for labor (CD's, massager etc)  and some things for DH but ?????    Every time I go to pack more I get sort of paralyzed, I don't know what's wrong with me! Thanks :)
    Posted by happy2bpg[/QUOTE]

For you, you don't need much. socks, big underwear to go home in, sweats to go home in, hair brush, toothpaste, shampoo & conditioner and elastic bands for my hair. That's all I used. I stayed in the hospital gowns the entire time (didn't want to get mine durty, and they're easier to use if you're nursing). DH needed a lot of stuff, clothes, PJs, all his toiletries. His bag was much bigger than mine for our 5 day hospital stay.

For the baby, I brought a few outfits depending on how big he ended up being. We also had a few special items to dress the baby in based on family tradition. I had them, but honestly forgot to use them until we go home. Oosp. :)

As for labor tools, I honestly didn't use any of it! I had a "fast" labor of 5 hours that started late at night, so we tried to sleep as much as we could. But you might want to have your own pillows handy. NWH has the flattest pillows ever, which makes trying to nurse hard, so if you have a boppy you might want to bring that to help with nursing if you are going to nurse.

As for diapers, we used pampers swaddlers. If you get the sensitive kind they have an indicator strip to let you know when the diaper is wet, which is helpful if you're new to this. And the baby doesn't really soak the diapers to make it easy for you to tell, so to save their soft skin we used these. Our hospital also used swaddlers. 

Best of luck in your last few weeks, it feels like eternity but goes fast.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

In regards to diapers, we used (and still use) pampers.  We used the swaddlers (with the indicator strip so we could tell when they got wet) when DD was a newborn, and now she's in cruisers.  We had a couple of huggies diapers that we got as samples that we tried, but we didn't like those at all.  They just iddn't seems as absorbent and tended to leak.  I hear good things about the Costco diapers, but we didn't try them since we were addicted to the indicator strip and then just got used to buying pampers. 

As for the hospital bag, you really don't need much. Like culhasa, I packed a bunch of stuff and didn't use most of it.  The things I (and DH) used were: PJs (nursing PJs for me), heavy socks (I'm not really a slipper person), toothbrushes, hairbrush and face wash, snacks (for DH), a couple of pairs of big, very unsexy, granny panties, and a change of clothes (two for DH).  I also echo what KAM said about the pillows.  We brought a couple and I am SO glad we did, as the pillows at NWH were way flat.  For DD, we brought and outfit to bring her home in (including a hat, but we had her when it was cooler at the beginning of April), and a couple of blankets.  We also brought along our camera.  I didn't use any of the labor "tools" that we brought-- massager, etc.  I used the tub in the labor room and the birthing ball they provided.

All the best for the rest of your pregnancy and for a great labor and delivery.  Try to enjoy it as much as possible, as time flies once your DC is here!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

I also liked the Pampers sensitive swaddlers with the indicator strip.  If you are breastfeeding you'll need to count wet and poopy dipes at the beginning to make sure baby is getting enough to eat. The indicator strip makes it easier to see wet dipes.  Now, at 4.5 months old, we just switch off between whatever is on sale.  I like both Pampers and Huggies.

Another suggestion...don't go crazy stocking up.  I ended up with way too many small size diapers (I had a big 9lb 8oz baby).  Even considering my big boy, every single mother in my mother's group had a diaper stockpile that the baby outgrew and they ended up giving them away or donating.

I also didn't use any of the labor tools that I brought but that's because I ended up with a c-section.  I did bring a few changes of clothes for myself (yogo/stretch pants and some nursing/maternity tops).  Since I was in the hospital for 3-4 days, it was critical for me to be able to get into some regular clothes after a shower on the second day.  I finally felt human again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I think you got the hospital bag pretty well covered!  My hospital gave us toiletries and the glamorous disposable panties that are surprisingly soooo comfortable ;) so I didn't need  a lot of stuff.  I promised myself I would shower and put a teeny bit of make up on every day, which I did do despite c-section, so having any other shower supplies you might like, possible cosmetics, hairbrush, etc might help.  I had to make sure I had contact lens stuff.  I didn't have enough pjs to cover my c-section stay, so hubby was nice enough to bring more.  Bringing the "5 month" pregnancy outfit as a going home outfit that What to Expect seemed to think I'd fit in was a waste.  I had some complications and had so many fluids pumped into me at the hospital that I left bigger than when I arrived!  I couldn't fit into the jeans I had on the day I delivered!  Luckily I had some roomy yoga pants packed too - definitely bring something super stretchy and comfy.  Also helpful to have if you plan to nurse - nursing bras.  I'm not comfortable without a bra, so I got fitted and sized ahead of time and brought a few with me. 
    As for diapers - swaddlers all the way for him when he was a newborn.  I then eventually switched to Pampers Baby Dry b/c they are slightly less expensive.  They are pretty good.  My son is a bit on the long side at 7 mos, so I'm currently on a Huggies kick which are fitting a little better and I also like Huggies overnights for bed time.  In my opinion, LUVS are identical to pampers baby dry (same manufacturer( and work just fine, I just can't stand their perfumey scent.  Also, Kirkland brand at Costco is great too and I feel are pretty similar to huggies.  The BJs Berkley and Jensen diapers are TERRIBLE.     

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from movingtangent. Show movingtangent's posts

Another thought.  Don't bother with the newborn diapers.  Baby will grow out of them in a week or two.  Take what you need ( a few dozen) from the hospital.
    Another tip, don't bother with the cute two piece outfits.  All you need for an under layer is onesies ( a lot of them).  They are 1000 times easier to change and besides, you want cheap newborn clothes since they're likely to get ruined anyway.

p.s. in my kids' case dad knows way more about these things than mom. :)