Different BF Questions...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Different BF Questions...

1) I feel silly asking this one, but did any of you have a sore behind from sitting around BFing all the time??  I try to mix up my position to avoid it, but there is only so much you can do.  My sofa cushions are getting flat!!  I'm going to have to switch to the loveseat soon and maybe the glider.

2) How long does it take for what you eat to get into your milk?  I was eating coffee ice cream last night, right before DD's last feeding before bed, when I realized it probably wasn't the best idea.

3) For those who have used a nipple shield - Did you ever notice the tip of your nipple being pulled through the shield?  My shield has 4 little holes and I have noticed my skin being pulled through for the past week or so.  I've been feeling pinching since before I noticed, so I assume that's the cause.  I'm thinking that means DD's suck is getting stronger?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Re: Different BF Questions...

Fram-

Sorry about your soreness!  My DH gifted me with a glider after DD was born which was helpful because I found it quite uncomfortable to BF in the beginning.  I had discomfort in my upper back (where is where I keep most of my stress). 

Kellymom is a great resource to answer most, if not all, of your breastfeeding questions.  Here's the link re: caffeine (http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/caffeine.html).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Wow, DD is sucking your poor nipple through the shield.  YIKES.  My son never did that so definitely a sign of a strong suck.  Any luck with weaning off the shield??  There isn't too much to be done about that, maybe slather on some extra lanolin to protect the tips of your nipples.

I'm not sure about the EXACT timing of foods into breast milk but the general though was 2-3 hours later, they were getting whatever you ate.  I wouldn't worry too much about coffee ice cream or even a regular cup of coffee unless you actually notice a big difference in baby's behavior.  Caffeine in that amount doesn't have too much of an effect unless the baby is SUPER sensitive.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thank you both.

Sarah, I've been lazy about weaning off the shield.  I'm supposed to try to go without twice a day, but I only end up doing it like once every other day.  Last week I could get her on without it for ~10 minutes on each side, but now she won't latch.
    They say that I should try when she's asleep because she is more likely to take anything... but I can barely even get her to open her mouth when she's asleep!  It's much easier to force the shield in her mouth.  Argh!!  I will continue to try though.  It would be nice to not have to do 20 minutes on each side due to the shield slowing things down.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

It was really weird for us.  I can't remeber exactly when it happened but all of the sudden, it was like we were done with the shield.  I wasn't able to BF all that much towards the end, it was mostly pumping but somewhere around the 5 month mark I think we were done.  And it was random when a shield-free session would go well.  Sometimes sleepy and sometimes it was mid-session and sometimes wide awake.  But try as much as you can.  Sounds like you're not having any supply issues so that's great - now it will be more of a convience thing.

I was going through baby stuff last weekend getting organized for number 2 and I found a whole bunch of shields.  EEEEK!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

In Response to Re: Different BF Questions...:
    [QUOTE]I was going through baby stuff last weekend getting organized for number 2 and I found a whole bunch of shields.  EEEEK!
    Posted by SarahInActon[/QUOTE]

Well hopefully you won't need them this time around!!

I lost one last week... I swear it is in my bed somewhere, but somehow I can't find it anywhere.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Fram, how long are your nursing sessions?  Mine only last about 8 minutes at most.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Lost - I try for 20 minutes on each side, but lately she has done less than 20 on the second breast fairly often.
    Initially the nurses, LCs, and doctors had said to aim for 10 minutes on each side, but when I started using the shield the LC said I had to do 15-20 mins because it can make babies less efficient at sucking.
    Funny you should ask because I was just polling my girlfriends about how long their babies nursed.  Trying to figure out if/when DD will finish more quickly.  Seems like she's getting there, but still does a full 40 minutes half the time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Is there really that much caffeine in coffee ice cream?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Wow!  I can see how your butt would get sore!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

My daughter was a snacker.  She'd eat for 10 minutes then act like she was full, then want to eat again 20 minutes later.  I got very good at walking around and doing other things while nursing.  It takes some arm strength, but with a little practice you can probably manage walking around the house, loading the dishwasher, or throwing a load of laundry in (providing it's already next to the machine) while nursing.  It sounds crazy but it didn't take me long to get used to doing all those things while she was eating. 

As for the caffeine, I think I remember reading on kellysmom that caffeine gets into milk between 20 and 30 minutes after inbibing it.  I think alcohol took a little longer (an hour?) and things like onion and tomato (for those babies with sensitive tummies) take 2 hours or so?  I can't remember now.  I bet you could find it on kellysmom.
    I had coffee when I was nursing and it didn't seem to affect my daughter.  I think it depends on the kid.  If you haven't noticed a difference then you probably don't have to worry. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]Is there really that much caffeine in coffee ice cream?
    Posted by SilverFestiva[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it's minimal, but I don't want to do ANYTHING that leads to even less sleep lol.

Thanks Lissafro - I've nursed standing up a couple of times in a bind so I know I'll get there eventually!!  So far it's been baby steps, but someday I'll be on the elliptical, texting, and BFing... OK maybe that's going too far :o)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Soooo did anyone else nurse for such a long time in the beginning??  DD is still only 5 1/2 weeks, so I'm sure it will decrease as she gets even better at sucking.  I think I mentioned above that sometimes it's only 30-35 mins instead of 40... But I'm so jealous of those that say it takes 10 mins!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

It takes a couple months...maybe even 3 or 4 but they do get more efficient and it does take less time!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Yet another question... How do you manage to get out of the house??  It seems like it is ALWAYS time to feed the baby when we are on our way somewhere. 
    It just occured to me that I could probably feed her before leaving the house, regardless of how long it's been, just to hold her off for a while.  Maybe just for 10 mins or something.  Thanks for the input!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from roneil68. Show roneil68's posts

DD would nurse for an hour, yes, an HOUR, in the beginning and then nap for an hour and then nurse again for an hour all day long (but she slept through the night so I'm not complaining).  I had a very sore bottom and back from the nursing and found relief by sometimes lying down while she nursed, even on the couch.  While I know it seems like you'll never be able to leave the house, it will change as she gets older.  At first, I would have to nurse her as soon as we arrived wherever we were going and then nurse her again before we left for home.  Now, at 9 months, we can do a whole shopping trip.  Of course she also is eating table food so she'll sometimes have a snack while we're out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trhoward. Show trhoward's posts

My DS would nurse 15 - 20 minutes per side. When he was a newborn he would always fall asleep while nursing and wake up and start feeding again when I tried to switch sides and that would prolong the process.

As for getting out of the house, I would feed him in the parked car when we arrived somewhere unless I could feed him at the destination. Once your feedings start to space out a bit more it will get easier and easier to get out of the house. Once it gets warmer out, one of the easiest early outings is to just stroll around the block.

I have DS #2 coming in 2 months and this thread is reminding me of what it is like BFing a newborn!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

My DD has always been a snacker.  Even as a newborn, she would primarily nurse from one side.  I don't remember how often she would nurse...it is all a blur.  I think it would take about 15 minutes in the beginning and now she nurses for about 10.  I think we would be able to get out for short trips (i.e. grocery shopping).  A few times, I nursed in a parking lot.  For me, a nursing scarf was a must have in the first few months.  I brought it everywhere and didn't worry about a thing!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Fram, DS would take 40-60min to nurse.  Due to that and some complications, I shut down the operation arount the time he probably would have become much more efficient.  I'd been pumping with DD so far and could pump, feed her and get her back to sleep in about 30 min, so that has been much easier.  However,  I only wanted to keep that up for about as long as DS got some breastmilk, so I just started a slow process of cutting out pumpings and will probably be completely done by the time she's 7 weeks, and have enough frozen milk that i'll do about 50% breastmilk until about 9 weeks. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Fram, as the baby gets older the feedings spread out. But the best thing I found was to get accustomed to feeding in a carrier. Your baby is too floppy now, but around 3 months you can nurse in an ergo while walking. That changes everything.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks for the tips ladies!!
    I feel so much better knowing that other people do long feedings too.  I was starting to think she would never get faster based on what my friends had to say.  She's only ~6 weeks... I think I was getting ahead of myself with expecting her to get more efficient.

Compared to a few weeks ago, feedings have already spread out.  I'd say that half the time she goes 2 hours between and the other half she goes 3-4 hours.  Not too bad!!  It just seems like every single time we need to be somewhere she is hungry.  Last weekend I had a bridal shower... Got all dressed and ready and then plopped on the couch to feed her and showed up 45 minutes late.  Oh well!!  Luckily I got there before they put the food away ;o)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]I feel so much better knowing that other people do long feedings too.
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]
    We used to say that our daughter nursed once a day -- from when I got home to when I left.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

The other key for us getting out of the house was to have everything *but* nursing as ready as possible.  Baby's bag ready to go, my water bottle filled, my jacket and keys, her hat, et cetera.  So that as soon as a good nursing was finished, we could run out the door as quickly as possible.
    I know that's easier said than done, and sometimes it seemed like an insurmountable task.  But it really does get much easier.

And definitely nursing in the car is fantastic.  I love looking out the windows, and then we're good to keep going if we have more stops!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

We did the same as medford.  We got everything ready, then I nursed and out we went. 

I liked nursing in the car too!  It just made it easier then having to be close to home.  Now we are kind of stuck at home because of DS' nap schedule.

Sections
Shortcuts