Dinner for Tots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Dinner for Tots

Ok ladies (and the few gentlemen who are on here), I know we've had similar posts before, but I'm in a bit of a rut and would love some suggestions. DS is starting to sense this too and is starting to get super picky (or perhaps that's just called being 20 mths old). Tonight I made "pizza" on a piece of toast with sauce, grilled chicken and cheese. He took off the toppings and ate about two bites of just the sauced bread. He always gulps down a yogurt without fail, but I'd really like to start serving him some more options so he can at least attempt to try. I also don't want to get stuck in the chicken nugget rut, which is so easy as he'll always eat those. Daycare says he's their best eater, but I think he's very much a monkey see, monkey do kid, and it helps they all eat the same thing. We don't yet have family dinners during the weekdays as he eats around 5:30-5:45, and DH often not home until 6:30 (when I'm just starting bedtime routine). So, what are you serving your toddlers/young kids these days? Would love some new menu ideas. Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Dinner for Tots

This is a bit of a tangent, but I thought I'd revive a post rather than starting one.

Has anyone researched yogurt for LOs?  Is there a particular brand that has less sugar or additives (and hopefully isn't sold only at Whole Foods)?  I am being lazy and taking advantage of your expertise :o)
    We currently give DD the Chobani Champions yogurt which is a smaller serving than their single tubs.  I perused a few of the standards at the grocery store and some of them had more sugar than a bowl of Lucky Charms!

IPW - I was also excited to find that Barilla veggie pasta!  A cousin had showed it to me, but it wasn't at my local store for a while.  Like you said, every little bit helps.

DD actually had her first fruit pouch a couple weeks ago and then again on vacation.  She loooooves them!  I think it's the independence of feeding herself that she really loves.  At 17 months, she also really loves eating with a utensil lately.  If she hasn't eaten much of her food, she'll eat some off of a spoon even if one of us is feeding.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fram, dh has a problem metabolizing white sugar (not diabetes, but I digress) and cannot digest any artificial sweetener. So, I buy the big containers of plain Greek yogurt and mix in 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract and a 1/4 c of maple syrup. Yummy, quick, economical, low sugar, and you can choose the amount of fat that's age appropriate.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks Kar,
    Prior to this I was feeding DD plain yogurt with fruit mixed in, but since I only feed it to her 1-3 times per week, most of the tub of yogurt would end up going bad.  It still might be cheaper to buy that and get x number of servings out of it... I'll have to think about that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If you get 2% fat, your lo could get full fat of other things and the three of you could share the yogurt. Just fruit doesn't sweeten it quite enough IMO, and the little maple and vanilla goes a long way in making it a tasty family dessert or breakfast option for everyone...if you guys like yogurt, that is, of course. Trader Joes has cheap maple syrup, the real stuff. ETA: The problem is, in my experience dealing with DH, is that what you're looking for really doesn't exist. There is lots of "healthy" yogurt, organic, non-GMO, all natural, cane sugar versions, for instance, but they are HIGH in all natural sugar. Or, they are sugar free and use artificial sweeteners instead, and we don't choose to eat Nutrasweet. Bloats me up like a whale, lol. So, if we want yogurt, the only option is to make it from plain. And, I've never seen the little plain cups of yogurt that you can doctor up individually so...?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Fram - some of the plain yogurts are available in single serve cups - still might not use it all in one sitting, but might be better than losing the majority of a big tub. I think Yoplait Greek style and Stonyfields both have a plain (but you might have to look carefully, they tend to get buried) in the single cups. I have bought them for recipes that call for a small amount of plain yogurt (or sour cream) since a big tub of plain goes to the back of my fridge to die long before I use it all. 

And as an aside, DD loved plin yogurt when she was small, so unless you are really trying to get the fruits in as well, try just giving your LO the plain by itself to see how it goes. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Plain individual cups? Yahoo, thanks!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

I found a case of plain single serve Fage at BJs. Stop and Shop has a plain single serve Greek yogurt too. I haven't looked for it in the store, but I just double checked that you can order it through Peapod.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I had the same quandary.  The tub of Stonyfield whole milk plain actually lasts for a really long time, as long as you're careful not to contaminate it (by eating out of it directly, for example).  Beware: their sweetened "french vanilla" has almost identical packaging.

For the fruit: I actually use the fruit pouches for this!  I am not sure how the total grams of sugar ends up working out, but I felt good that at least all the sugar was from pureed fruit, plus they taste less sweet than the flavored yogurt.
    Pear mango or peach/apricot/banana are particularly good in yogurt.  You can get a lot of servings of yogurt out of one fruit pouch (like 4 at least).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Trader Joes has a plain whole milk greek yogurt that is super yummy. And the packaging isn't too big. bigger than a single serve, but about half the size of a big tub. We buy about 3 of them every other week, probably should get 4 of them now that the baby get's yogurt every night too. But we sweeten with fresh fruit, or serve plain. The kids just gobble it up.

I tried making yogurt once, it was a disaster...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Kar - I used to always make my own yogurt and it was really, really delicious.  It's the only yogurt I've ever really liked just plain.
    I used this article:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/15/dining/15curi.html

and some Stonyfield as a starter the first time (after that, I used from my existing batch to make a new one).
    You do have to have a thermometer, IMO, at least until you have done it a few times and know what to look for.
    Definitely recommended to anyone who can do it!  It's such a kitchen miracle to observe.  And you get yogurt for the same price per volume as milk (much cheaper).  :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

med-I'll have to look at this article-I had an oven full of semi spoiled milk in my attempt. :) And the amount of yogurt we eat in our house hold I really should learn how to make it myself!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In Response to Re: Dinner for Tots:
    [QUOTE]med-I'll have to look at this article-I had an oven full of semi spoiled milk in my attempt. :) And the amount of yogurt we eat in our house hold I really should learn how to make it myself!
    Posted by KAM2007[/QUOTE]
    :)
    On the recommendation of the article, I used a commercial yogurt (Stonyfield) to start the process, rather than a yogurt starter that you can buy.  I think it was a couple of scoops off the top of a lowfat "fruit on the bottom" one (couldn't taste it in the finished product).  Then I kept it going from batch to batch, but there was at least one time when it didn't take and I had to get rid of a batch.  And then buy another yogurt cup to start again.
    I think I used around 2% (really whole + skim mixed together).  I'm not sure if it is more challenging with a lower fat content like just skim.
    GL!

ETA: the guy who wrote the article has a lot of cool articles (and a book).  Personally, I find it easier to wrangle a weird cooking thing like this after reading something that explains what's going on a bit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

THanks, med - just saw this this morning, was away most of yesterday. Very cool, "kitchen miracle," love it. I have yogurt I can start with right now. Do you strain yours to make it Greek style? And, if so, is there something useful you can do with the whey? Thanks, again!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Hey Kar,
    I didn't usually strain to make greek style (except once when I was then using the greek style to make frozen yogurt!)  Because I'm the anomaly where if I'm eating straight yogurt I actually prefer the "regular" stuff to the thick stuff.

I think you might be able to use the whey in smoothies or something like that.  Not sure!  I think it has a lot of protein still.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, yes, smoothies, good idea...it is packed with good protein so I hate to pour it down the drain. I use fat free Greek yogurt a lot in place of sour cream because I think it tastes better and has a better texture than fat free sour cream which can contain hidden sugar, too. Today, I'm tackling canning for the first time...well, actually, tomorrow when my friend who's done it before comes over, but today I'm buying my jars and breaking into the big, scary pressure canner box. Yogurt will be next on my to-try list. I get overwhelmed easily so one new thing at a time. :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

good luck!  Actually, the pint sized canning jars were my favorite for pouring the heated milk in to make the yogurt, so you're half way there!  :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Kargiver, my mother now makes her own yogurt, I think she bought a yogurt making machine of some sort.  Swears by it.  With all the other things you do around the house, garden, etc. I'm sure making yogurt from scratch will be easy for you after the 2nd time you do it!