Does anyone own one of these?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from janiesmom. Show janiesmom's posts

Does anyone own one of these?

Childminder smart clip system.  

http://www.babyalert.info/index.php?main_page=page&id=2

Does anyone own this? If so, what do you think of it?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Does anyone own one of these?

Here's another link to it that doesn't rotate to other products.

Childminder Smart Clip

It's unavailable on Amazon right now; I wonder if it's not being manufactured?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Nope, and probably wouldn't invest in it.

There are other ways to ensure you're not leaving your child behind-leave a purse or vital item in the back seat so you have to open the back door to get it before you go off for your errand/work/house.

Or

Place a stuffed animal in the car seat, when you put your child in you move the stuffed animal to the front seat/other prominent position so you have another visual reminder your child is in the car.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Or have a child who screams her head off the entire time she's in the seat.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Lemon-we went with your option. Works like a charm!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from janiesmom. Show janiesmom's posts

As unnerving as it must be to have a kid that screams in the car, I suppose it's a bit of a mixed blessing! 

Our baby is so quiet, that you'd never know she's there.  On one occasion, my husband and I got out of the car and we both took two steps before I asked him "are we forgetting someone?"  It freaked me out that I would even take two steps from the car without her.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Lemon, I had your option too...well he didn't scream the entire time, but once the car stopped he did.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

There is a particular personality type that is prone to this; in some books it's called Phlegmatic (the one I read was Personality Plus - I recommend it).  My brother is one and used to drive me batty with his absentmindedness, but he's very smart and is a wonderful pastor and father.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

So if you're so preoccupied that you are prone to forgetting you have a child in the back seat, how are you going to remember to use this alarm system?
    Believe me - I hope it works and saves lives.
    I get so crazy when I read about these stories.  How can you forget the most important person in your life?  What is so darn important at your office that you forgot your child?
    And I LOVE the "I was tired" excuse.  I have twins - don't talk to me about tired.  My DH doesn't do crying in the night or the morning shift - ever.

Again - hope it helps some people and saves some children, but really, I wonder where peoples priorities lie sometimes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

It usually happens when there is a change in routine: the parent that doesn't normally do the daycare drop-off forgets. Or they only have one child in the car when they normally have both and see the empty carseat and forget. The human mind is apparently quite good at filling in the details and convincing you that you did drop the kids off, even if it didn't really happen.

There was a series of articles about it on cnn.com during the hottest part of the summer. It's heart-breaking.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I could see myself doing this. I've read a lot about it and it usually  happens when there has been a disruption in the schedule. A kid is sick, the parent who usually drops the kid off at daycare is unable to do it, etc. My husband works freelance, so sometimes I pick our daughter up from the sitter's after work and sometimes I go straight home. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten on the wrong train because I am exhausted and on autopilot. Nobody intends to leave a child in the car. But the experts all say that if you can forget a cell phone, you can forget a child. I think that we tend to villify the people to whom this happens because we want to put distance between us and them and tell ourselves that it would never happen to us because we're good parents. But the people who have left kids in cars thought the same thing. http://articles.cnn.com/2010-07-07/health/hot.car.parenting_1_day-care-car-safety-seats-front-seat?_s=PM:HEALTH

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I do lots of absentminded things that preclude doing important ones.  Zoning out happens, and sometimes the consequences are major.  Like lemon says, no one thinks they are going to absentmindedly do anything that leads to disaster, but smart, caring, mindful people do it all the time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Classic Phlegmatic, your DH!  Have you read that book I cited above, miss-cell?  I think you'd laugh out loud at the section on your DH's personality type (there's a test in the book) for how well you can relate to what it says.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

What people don't seem to realize is that these stories can happen to anyone and is usually the result of a change in the routine as someone else mentioned, not a lack of paying attention.

It can happen to anyone, even the ones that scoff about it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I am a classic obsessive compulsive, so I almost never misplace or forget anything. But the combined effects of sleep deprivation, full-time work coupled with full-time parenting, and an inconsistent schedule disrupt even my pattern of checking and re-checking every little thing. When my husband and daughter spent three days under the thumb of the Norovirus I would wander into the kitchen and just stare around like, "how did I get here? and what do I want? And wait, is this the bathroom? because I think I have to pee." I hear these stories and just thank god it isn't me. I have so much sympathy for these people. I don't understand how they can go on.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I know I sound evil an unsympathetic.  I'm not.  I don't know how I could go on after killing my child through negligence.  I know my marriage wouldn't survive a thing like that either. My heart goes out to those people, and their poor children.
    And I know what it's like to be out of my mind tired.  We just had a nasty virus with both kids last week and DH away on business.  I, of course, broke down in tears of exhaustion the day everyone finally started feeling better.

And MissJones - your husband leaves the iron on every day???  I'd KILL him.  He could set the house on fire!!  Hope you have one of those that shuts itself off. Embarassed

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I don't think you sound evil or unsympathetic. I think that it's almost unimaginable, this sort of thing. It's the most horrible thing that could ever  happen, the death of one's child, and how can one imagine it happening as a result of one's own negligence? The article I posted really changed my way of thinking about it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

MissJones - your husband IRONS?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

My husband always leaves stuff on -- fans, lights, heat -- but he never cleans or irons, so his destructive potential is minimized. He cooks all our meals, but our oven has an auto shutoff.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I want to meet these cooking, ironing husbands! :)  My DH doesn't do any of those things. Heck - he can't even find the dishwasher at the end of a meal.

He works and goes to the dump.  Everything else I do - or I've hired someone to do it for us (plowing and mowing).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Oh my - my DH most definitely does NOT iron!!  Before we go on vacation I have to ask for any clothing he thinks that I might like to see ironed... Because he could care less if it's wrinkled.

He is a very good cook though... as long as being a good cook doesn't include cleaning up after yourself.

He tends to leave all kinds of random stuff sitting around the living room - prescriptions, nail clippers, candy, bills.  I haven't pulled it out yet, but I can't wait to say, "You know, once the baby is here you can't leave small things lying around the living room."  (lying or laying?)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

He'll learn.  Our family room is basically down to a sofa and kids toys.  We've had to take out the tables, lamps etc. ever since they started walking.  Basically there isn't anywhere to leave anything anymore! :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Does anyone own one of these?:
    In Response to Re: Does anyone own one of these? : I just read the blurb on Amazon about the book - totally sounds like him! Sounds like a good book to give as a gift. Hmmm our anniversary is coming up, lol. I also googled the words "Phlegmatic personality" and read the associated traits. He definitely has most of the traits but he also has some of the specific traits that are associated with two of the other personality types!
    Posted by miss-cellaneousJones

You'll love it!!!  It definitely opens up a lot of understanding where there could be frustration (not just with him but of anyone not of your type).  And, it talks about everyone having some of the traits of the other types, that no one is 100% any one of them so it's not unusual that you see traits in him that aren't attributable to Phlegmatic.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from augustbride20. Show augustbride20's posts

I've read about this happening and it is awful. I do believe it can definitely happen to anyone. I have two examples of completely being absent minded at the TOTALLY wrong time:

1) When my brother was a baby, my mother put his car seat on the top of the car to get her keys out of her bag and completely forgot about it, drove about 5 feet when his car seat slid onto the hood. He was totally fine, but she was extremely shaken up.

2) When my niece was three years old, I was watching her and for some reason was having a really stressful day, and put her in her car seat, got into the drivers seat, and heard her say "Auntie, you forgot to buckle me!!" Thank GOD she could tell me that, otherwise, I would have just driven off and not have even realized it.

So, yes things like this happens to completely normal, wonderful caregivers, mothers, fathers....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Please don't EVER put your baby on top of your car for any reason.  The baby could easily fall off even if you don't forget he's there and drive away.  It's not safe.  Put your baby down by your feet.  Your less likely to "forget" him if he's in front of you anyway.  But on the roof of the car is a really bad idea.
    I must be a weakling - I don't think I could have lifted my kids in their car seats onto the roof of my car anyway. :)

Sections
Shortcuts