Does anyone own one of these?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from augustbride20. Show augustbride20's posts

Re: Does anyone own one of these?

Yes, Misslily, it was a careless mistake my mother made.....Everyone makes mistakes...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Car seats were a lot lighter back then. It would be pretty tough to casually lift one on top of a car now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

When I was probably around 6 or 7, my mother left me in the car for a few minutes with the engine running.  I decided I wanted to go with her, so I got out and somehow managed to lock all the car doors (because I was trained to lock the door when I got out).  So the car was locked with the engine running (keys inside, obviously).  She still teases me about it, and I'm always like, "Um... who left their young child alone in a running car??!"  Granted, it was in my grandparents' driveway, but still...

We will all make conscious or unconscious terrible decisions at times as parents, we just have to hope our kids come out unscathed.  One of the terrifying things about becoming a parent.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Lemon, I read the CNN article about the woman that left her baby in the car. But when my routine is thrown off I'm hyper vigilant about things regarding DS. The days I don't take him to day care ( I do all drop offs and pick ups) I check a million times to make sure some how he's not in his seat, and I call home before I leave work to make sure he's there and not at day care...it's the times I'm not in auto pilot of drop off that I'm much more aware, so I don't totally understand that rationale. Maybe it's my personality.

August-I can't imagine ever being able to put the car seat on the roof of the car! I'd never challenge your Mom to an arm wrestling competition!

Mistakes happen, and I firmly believe no one should have to deal with the pain of losing a child to a mistake (or ever).

Is it a universal fact that men truly don't see the dishes on the counter? My DH claims he'll iron, but I've never seen him actually do it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I'm also sitting here thinking, "Hm... husband who irons but leaves iron on, or husband who doesn't iron or pretends to iron, then puts on a horrifically wrinkled shirt knowing I'll tear it off his body and iron it myself... which would I rather have..."  :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

August, I wasn't scolding your mom.  I realize people make mistakes.  I just wanted to remind everyone that on top of the car isn't such a great idea when you need to put baby down because you can't find your keys.  Hood of the car isn't a great idea either.
    Babies have fallen off tables in bouncy seats and bumbo chairs. A child died in the UK because her mother left her on a bouncy seat on the bed.  The seat tilted over and she suffocated.
    People make mistakes - sometimes with tragic consequences.
    I'm sorry if I seem hyper.  It's hard to keep your eye on two and once, so I have to always be on my toes to try and keep them out of harm's way.
    I find going out and keeping them safe extremely stressful.  Loading two out of car seats into the stroller in a crowded parking lot isn't fun.  I can see how much easier life must be with one and how that would allow you to let your guard down a bit. :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

just popping by, I know i don't ever post here- they make a similar clip item for hunting dogs, and they work pretty well from what I hear.

I understand it happens, but I just don't understand how it happens. People do it with the dogs, too, and come back to find them dead. I have a small dog and I bring him in the car all the time. I have never once forgotten he was there. It's like when I wake up in the night because I suddenly feel that DH isn't in bed anymore or that the dog isn't there anymore. I can feel when he's around, it's something I can't really explain- not to be fruity about it. I don't mean in some ESP way, but a physical feeling. Or how I wake up with a start if I'm staying at SIL's and my neice comes in the room. She sneaks in, but I know the second she's there. I feel it and I wake up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from augustbride20. Show augustbride20's posts

Well, this was in 1975...so who knows what car seats were like then. I NEVER remember riding in a car seat, ever. I remember sitting in the front seat on the way to daycare! That was back in 85! Laws have REALLY changed! Thank GOD.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from augustbride20. Show augustbride20's posts

sorry Misslilly...I over-reacted.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

No harm - I certainly didn't mean to offend.  I'm sure your mom was quite upset.  It's one of those things that, if I did it, I feel guilty about forever.  I'm sure she had nightmares about it.
    I'm just a little hyper these days.  My kids are just getting over a virus.  No big deal except that my DS spiked a fever and refused to drink or eat anything.  I was forced to shoot Pedialyte into his mouth with the dropper from the liquid Motrin.  I was so afraid he'd get dehydrated and we'd end up in the ER.  Everyone is fine now, but it really frightened me.

Sections
Shortcuts