double stroller recommendations?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

double stroller recommendations?

hi all - does anyone have any feedback of thoughts on the following double strollers: baby jogger city select, phil and ted's vibe, or others you'd recommend?  tia!

(eta: only in-line strollers please - city dweller!  thanks.)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: double stroller recommendations?

I'm sure you'll get good answers here, too, but you can find both strollers you mentioned on Amazon; BJCS has 2 reviews, and P&T's has 21.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

thanks lily and kar.  i would def. consider a side-by-side if narrow.  i'll check out the maclaren.  i want something sporty enough to maneuver on brick sidewalks, that's the biggest issue!  :) 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I used to live on Beacon Hill.  I dont think there is a stroller out there that can handle those horrible sidewalks! :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

lol - that's where i am.  don't i know it!  ;)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Stefani, have you considered the city mini?  It is side by side, not tandem, but very narrow.  I have a bob double and love it but suspect that is way too wide for you.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from culhasa. Show culhasa's posts

Love my Macclaren.  Good luck!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

check out this link (sorry, i couldn't make it a link, I'm not that good this late at night)

http://www.queensmamas.com/queens_mamas/2010/08/best-city-strollers-for-two-2010.html

But our parents of children 9 months apart LOVE the Baby Jogger City Select - http://babyjogger.com/city_select_lp.aspx#

downfall: it is HEAVY to lift and hoist into the car.  BUT the kids can face out, each other, towards you, etc - you can have twins, 1 older, 1 younger, etc. etc.  The one in the back isn't all squished up against the front one's seat....  so our parents love this one.  Also, it maneuvers like a dream (we're in Washington DC so we don't have bricks and cobblestones, but I bet they'll be pretty good on them). they also aren't (quite) so long and bus-like as the graco and snap and go twin inline doubles, those are really long!

And they now have an incredibly sexy amythest color - I'm so in love! Watch their video (mute it, the music is stupid) of the woman switching the seats around, making it a double, etc.  It does fold up incredibly easily, but it's heavier when used as a double than she makes it look!  But still, the parents love it!

So do try it out, although it's expensive.... 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecod1818. Show capecod1818's posts

Stefani,

Have you looked at the uppababy vista.  They have an attachment for the stroller that makes it a double.  Great stroller and manuevers real well in the city.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I have the UPPA.  Not sure how it would work for twins, though -- I think there's an issue with the second seat not able to recline.  Not a huge deal if you've got the older kiddo in that and the newbie in a bucket, but with two the same age ... dunno.  I LOVE my stroller, don't get me wrong, but I think you need "comparable" seating for both kiddos.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

(full disclosure) - we have the city select already.  !!!  it's annoying me b/c it's so heavy now that each baby is ~22 lbs, plus i hear inflatable tires might maneuver better than the hard wheels.  BUT i'm thinking it might be the best there is for our situation.  i can't really justify getting another, though i suppose if there's no better tandem i wouldn't mind getting a side by side - it's nice to feel like you're not pushing something that's as long as a TRAIN!  :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We have the single Maclaren Volo and it's awesome. The wheels are small and plastic but for some reason it handles (turns, takes bumps) better than our old city mini. Our daughter loves it too. It doesn't recline, but she's either not going to sleep in it, or she's going to be so tired she'll sleep sitting up, so that hasn't been an issue for us.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Bringing this post back up as we are currently trying to decide what to do.  Baby #2 is due in May and we know we are going to need a double stroller of some kind.  We saw a woman in a store with the city select and she said she loved it.  I liked how it fit both the baby in the carseat as well as her older child.  DS will be 20 months when baby #2 is born.

Stefani - you mentioned you have the city select and that it is really heavy.  What do you like about it or don't?

We liked the double bob but it seems really big and I'm concerned about getting around stores.  We have an uppa baby vista and are going to look into the added seat but I am not thrilled about its location in the back...I think DS would hate being there because it would be hard for him to see anything and one thing about him in a stroller is he needs lots to see!

I also liked how there are so many different positions on the city select stroller.  We haven't looked at it in person yet and are just thinking about double strollers.  I live in the suburbs so don't have any city dwelling issues.

Does anyone have suggestions? Reviews? Recommendations?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

the city select is just do DARNED heavy!  So if you live in the suburbs, will you need to be lifting it up and down stairs alot to get outside or can it live in the garage?  And will you plan to lift it in and out of your car lots or will you have a really thin, small, light double to stay in the car? it is a wonderful stroller with about 1000 options for both children to sit and be able to see and not hit each other or grab each other's hair, but it's heavy.

For a while you can probably also use a baby bjorn or other baby carrying device for babykins and push your older in his regular stroller, too, don't forget.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Hi!  I have a double bob and love it, but it is bulky.  It meets our needs great and we used it with the infant seat adapter.  But, it does take up a lot of car room and we have 2 SUVs.  So, we have a garage-sale double maclaren for when we travel.  If you need something that will go in/out of the car a lot and can also take an infant, I highly suggest the city mini double.  Very lightweight and pretty narrow, and it can take a carseat.  I would have done that one but needed a little bit more of Bob's heavy duty tires for where we live.  I believe Mountain Buggy just came out with a narrow side-by-side double, the duet which seems to be a marriage of Bob and the City Mini from what I can tell.  Do you live near a magic beans?  Maybe bring your LO and have a friend with a LO join you so you can test a bunch of these with 2 kids.  Also, Buy Buy Baby just opened in Braintree and you can use those great 20% off Bed Bath and Beyond coupons there.  They have a huge stroller selection.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I'd definitely go somewhere that you can see them, pick them up, give them a test drive. Babies R Us, Magic Beans, Buy Buy Baby etc.  I hate my Maclaren Twin Triumph because I find it hard to open and close, and I can't seem to ever get the canopy on when it's raining. But it's fairly light, and goes through a regular size door - which I like.
    My twins are 2 1/2 so I have no intention of shopping for another one - but I wish I had returned it right away and gotten something else.
    So make sure you like what you get!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

i think the city select is the best option after all and i stuck with it. it is not THAT heavy with 1 child, or 1 infant and 1 child, in it. it's heavy now that i have 50 lbs of baby in it, but that's another story (and i'm still able to maneuver it easily enough - seats click in and out really easily too to enable moving the thing). i think it's the best in-line stroller there is. the multiple configurations are def. handy, and if you are pushing a single child and carrying your baby it's easy to remove a seat. GL!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I also have the city select.  I don't think it's too heavy either, especially if you're only lifting it in and out of the car.  I also don't think it's perfect, but I doubt any double stroller is.  I loved the multiple configurations and the idea that it could be a single or a double.  For that price I wanted versatility and something that would last!  I don't have twins, but both mine are pretty young.  It took a while to figure out a good seating configuration so I could see both my kiddos.  My MIL hated pushing it though.  She thought it was too heavy for sure.  Sometimes I am kicking myself for not getting a side by side, but I really think those would be even harder to maneuver in stores.  I will also say that if you have the graco bucket seat, the car seat adapter for the city select is very weak.  It doesn't click in at all.  Basically you rest it on the bar and tie a strap over it.  Very disappointing.  But the under carriage storage is good and so is the maneuverability.  So I guess in my opinion, it's the best of the worst.  Ugh - I hate double strollers!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

the graco seat sort of clicks in in the back, that little red tab that sticks out when you pull the black part up sort of clicks on the bar, and then you tie the straps over it.  it's not THAT secure, i agree w/ trouble, but it is attached. 

i had a double bumbleride stroller for a while as well and it was easy to push, but i think the city select is more versatile given it can accommodate an infant and a toddler seat at the same time. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Oh, I agree that the city select is really versatile - we have 3 families who use it for very close in age children - the infant in the carseat attachment in the back, facing parents and the older in the seat down low facing out.  then when each baby got too big for the carseat, they have a way to get both children facing in opposite ways (so one doesn't pull the other's hair) or for them both to face the same way, one higher than the other.

I've pushed them - I don't think they are heavy to push, but they have to fold them and lift them into our stroller storage unit, and that's when they get heavy.  And carrying them up and down stairs they are heavy too (yes, there is an entrance with a ramp but most parents just don't want to go to that ramped entrance so they struggle up and down the 5 stairs).  I've learned not to offer the other entrance too many times, lol.

they are also beautiful strollers, I will say, I think they are just beautiful!  Our parents all had the red one, but I think there is a new color out that's even prettier, if I remember correctly.

And they fit in and out of doors because they are in-line vs. side by side.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

Bumping this post - We are looking for stroller options and I would like to start looking ds 1 will be 25m when the second arrives.  I like the tandem strollers but read the City is better for shorter kids (ds 1 is tall).  One any recommendation on stores and two anyone with the city feel their kid gets smooshed?  At least this is per the reviews I have read on line

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Does anyone have a Joovy caboose tandem stroller?  All the online reviews say it folds up really well and is really lightweight.  My will-be-3-yr-old isn't a huge fan of sitting and staying in a stroller and will love the freedom of being able to walk until she's tired and hop back in.  I've been looking for strollers that can take a car seat (like a snap and go) but also have a regular stroller in the front for when the baby is older and a step/seat in the back for DD.  I'm also contemplating waiting and seeing how good the new baby is with a carrier.  If I can keep my $15 umbrella stroller for DD and just carry the baby in a mobywrap or something like that I'll be pretty happy too.
    I don't want to spend a lot of money, especially since we're planning on having a 3rd in a few years and I"ll just be in the same boat with awkward transportation issues again.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Lissafro
    if you use a tandem like that, then when your older child wants to sit in the stroller, can the baby be reclined?  I'm assuming the front seat for the baby could be reclined fully, but only when the older isn't in the seat?  I think that's a great idea if you have a 3 yr old who doesn't really like to be in a stroller.  but your idea of not doing anything now, and seeing if the baby can be worn for at least the first 6 months, might be the best solution - becuase by the time baby is 6 or 8 months old, your oldest would not be using a stroller at all as she'd be 31/2 to 4 yrs old.  then your current stroller would be for the 2nd baby...  sounds like a perfect (and less expensive) option than buying a double or sit and stand for just a few months!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

CTDC-
    Thanks!  This one looks like there is room on the seat for DD if the car seat is clicked into the front of the carriage.  It does look like if the front seat is reclined ALL the way there isn't room in the back but it can recline halfway. 

I'm probably going to do the wrap/umbrella stroller thing for a while and see how it goes.  I hate this whole spending money thing.  I just don't have it in me to enjoy shopping.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

we have the city select (obvi - i'm the op!) and i guess the seats are somewhat short? go to a store and put DS in it to see. we got ours at tadpole in the s. end (boston) but i think isis also has it, and probably magic beans etc.