down the stairs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

down the stairs

Parents: what's the safest way for a toddler to get down the stairs? Our daughter is a real pro at climbing up, but she can't get down again and I'm not sure how she's supposed to go about it either. Backwards on her belly? or by easing herself down in a sitting position?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

Re: down the stairs

I would say going down on her bum, but Im very interested to hear the feedback since I was just thinking about this for my own daughter.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

DD goes down on her bum, I'm not sure if that is the best way though.  She really just wants to walk down so the only way that she could be controlled was to teach her to go down on her bum.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

We try to tell DD to go down backwards on her belly and for the most part she does when there is a lot of stairs.  We live in a ranch and have two steps leading into a room and DD goes down those sitting and easing her way down.  I am not sure which is the correct way either.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Our kids are in a "gymnastics" class for 1 - 3 year olds and the teacher always emphasizes getting down from climbing structures and crawling down stairs backwards because it's harder to fall and therefore, much safer. 

DD tends to feel most comfortable going backwards (belly and knees) and DS tends to want to go forwards--on his bum.  Consequently, the worst thing that's happened to DD is her knees slipping and she ended up sliding down a few stairs on her belly--apparently that was great fun. :)  DS, on the other hand, just last week, ended up getting his foot stuck underneath himself and falling forwards down our porch stairs while I was helping DD get situated for her descent.  Since then, I've been much more vigilant with DS and have been strongly encouraging him to go backwards (he always turns himself forwards when I'm not looking though!).

So--I recommend backwards on knees and belly. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

My DD will go down on her bum, but she also likes to hold on to the spindles that support our railing and step down. I feel like she is safer on her bum, but she won't always do it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Thanks, everyone. I should probably invest in a stair runner at some point. But the safety of the child has been at least temporarily outmatched by my hatred for vacuuming stairs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Lemon--you could attach swiffer cloths to DD before she goes down the stairs and just ask her to get a little side-to-side motion going and that should take care of the vacuuming issue.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

When did you all start letting your children on the stairs?  I'm curious because DH and I only let our 16 month old twins crawl up the stairs last week.  And we haven't even thought about letting them get down.  Am I (as usual) behind?  do I need to start working on this?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

I guess my kids were developmentally deprived--we don't have any stairs at all!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Lemon- I have hardwood stairs and a Golden Retriever. DD IS the swiffer when she goes down on her bum. I have to use a lint roller on her before daycare, because one of the teachers is allergic to dogs, and she is literally coated in dog hair when she goes that way. But I don't think we need carpet to ease her travels. It would just compound the dog hair issue, and wouldn't necessarily make the stairs any safer (I think carpet is more slippery when sliding down).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

We live in a ranch with the only stairs to the garage. We've managed to only carry DS down until recently when he insists on walking down himself. He doesn't go on his bum or belly, but walks down like a big boy. sigh. Makes life more difficult to hold his hand to  prevent falling and carry the stuff I need to.

For the past 4 mo DS has been walking up and down our 6 stairs to our front door with no help. Not sure when I'm going to let him do a full flight with no help...maybe when he's 15?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: down the stairs:
    [QUOTE]When did you all start letting your children on the stairs?  I'm curious because DH and I only let our 16 month old twins crawl up the stairs last week.  And we haven't even thought about letting them get down.  Am I (as usual) behind?  do I need to start working on this?
    Posted by misslily[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's something you need to work on -- we were just having a hard time keeping her off the stairs. We have a gate, but we usually keep it open because our cat needs to get back and forth from the food and water and litter box. And we also forget sometimes. The other day I was making hot dogs, which takes literally two minutes, and when I went to tell her that lunch was ready the livingroom was empty. I found her upstairs in her room reading books and looking very proud of herself. But I think if she's going to be going up the stairs all the time she should learn to get down them as well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from monicat415. Show monicat415's posts

My DS (now 18 months) started climbing the stairs at 7 months (one day he was quiet and out of sight for about 30 seconds, then started bawling- he was on the 4th step)- we immediately started working on going down on his belly/knees, on the notion that it's better to worldproof the baby, since he won't always be protected by gates. At that time I would let him climb up a few steps then physically guide him through the motions (at the same time talking about what we were doing) to go down backwards. As someone posted above, if they slip when on their belly they just slide (and maybe bite a lip or tongue)... scooting on their butt if their foot catches on a rung (or shoe sticks on the tread), or they lean over too far then they can tumble, which is potentially much more dangerous.

We've been transitioning to going down forwards over the last month, now that DS is physically large enough (as well as coordinated) enough. At the very least legs need to be long enough to reach the lower step with the butt still on the upper for going down forwards to be at all reasonable!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

We started climbing the stairs the same day we learned to crawl forward (7 or 8 months, I'm having trouble remembering!) - our house is a work in progress and there was no way to really block the stairs.  They are also carpeted so that takes some worry out.

Going back down the stairs was a delightful trick our son figured out pretty quickly and with the demonstration of mu husband who showed him how to get back down once he crawled up.  He goes down them backwards on his stomach and uses his foot like a rudder.  He litterly shoots himself down them at breakneck speeds sliding on his belly like a snake.  He has a pair of smooth track pants from Carters and he gets even more speed up when he wears those.  He's 18 months now and been doing this pretty much forever.  It is hysterical and he loves it.  We've never had a problem (knock wood).

Every once and a while, he will stand and walk down a stair or two but then decided that its much more fun to slide.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

ha ha ha ha! I would like to see that!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

For what it's worth, I work at early intervention and although I'm not a physical therapt, I work with and alongside them and I know they always teach the kiddos to go down the stairs on their belly first.  I believe it's because this way is safer.  I can ask them for more details if you like....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

My nephew was in EI for sensory integrative disorder, and they had him going down the stairs on his belly as part of his therapy. he was PSYCHED about it! But those were carpeted stairs.

I loved his EI stuff. They should make a short-form anti-tantrum class for all parents. We used the swing-in-the-blanket trick on our raging daughter the other day.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

Yes, a lot of the strategies that we use with the kiddos in EI could be used with kids who don't have special needs. The "typical" kids maybe don't need it, but could always benefit.  I think in the past EI did offer classes to everyone, but with budget cuts every year, they have cut back on a LOT of what they do.  Most EI programs do have playgroups and a few "typical/community" kids are able to go for a small fee.  This way you get the social piece for you and your child, and you get to learn some of the tricks!  
    I have to say, I'm excited to use the strategies on my LO, if he has special needs or not!  I love that age!!! 

In Response to Re: down the stairs:
    [QUOTE]My nephew was in EI for sensory integrative disorder, and they had him going down the stairs on his belly as part of his therapy. he was PSYCHED about it! But those were carpeted stairs. I loved his EI stuff. They should make a short-form anti-tantrum class for all parents. We used the swing-in-the-blanket trick on our raging daughter the other day.
    Posted by lemonmelon[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Lily,
    I think you could allow your toddlers to go up and down the stairs, but ONLY if they are willing to crawl backwards, it's safest, as Daisy's son figured out.  Spot them by being below them - so you go down a stair backwards one stair at a time, or when going up, you follow them up - that way if they get going too fast (or need help) you are right there to catch them before getting into real trouble.

I usually put a child in the middle of the stairs (or let them crawl 1/2 way up) and then tlel them to come down, and I move their legs one at a time into a backwards crawl, which will then force them to move their body (and arms) back down one step, and we keep doing this till they learn.  Usually doesn't take too many reps to get it.

I personally agree with whomever said they wanted to worldproof their son - they really do need to learn how to do stairs "the safe way" because otherwise they'll figure them out - by walking right straight DOWN them, yikes!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Like everything else it's just harder with twins.  I NEED gates and safe places for them.  Otherwise they could really get hurt in the 3 minutes it takes to change a diaper on one.
    I'm not confortable teaching them both on the stairs by myself so I have to have someone to help me.  I at least need someone to entertain one while I teach the other.
    I'd love to world proof my kids - but it's REALLY hard to wrangle two alone, so safety locks and baby gates are a must.
    DH and I will have to work on it together - maybe this weekend. :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JACON. Show JACON's posts

This has been very helpful. I need to start teaching DS (13 mos) to go down the stairs on his belly. Just this morning, we got to the bottom of one flight of stairs, I put him down and turned for literally 2 seconds to close the gate, and he was already in the next room and fell down the basement stairs because he thinks he can walk right down them! Thankfully it's only a half flight of stairs with very soft carpet. He barely even cried so I'm sure no lesson was learned by him. Lesson learned by mommy: your little bugger is getting faster every day and don't put him down until all gates / doors are closed. I just couldn't believe how fast it happened.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

MissLily don't feel bad at all!  I have gates at the top and bottom of our stairs, I like being able to let DD play around outside her room while I am going from room to room upstairs.  DD is a bit of a daredevil and my mother decided to teach her the stairs, which was fine by me.  She is getting heavy to carry up and down so its nice that she know how to go up and down rather safely but I don't think you need to rush it at all.  Just one warning about the gates, DD can now open them on her own (at 18months) and they weren't cheap-o gates either.  So if your kids are anything like my DD watch out for that!  She is good about not opening them unless DH or I say lets go upstairs so thats a blessing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Thanks KT.  I am worried about them opening the gates.  DS spends a lot of time trying to figure it out! They are gated into the kitchen, family room, dining room area (dining room in now a playroom).  And upstairs they are gated into their room - although they are usually only up there when they are in their cribs anyway.  I seem to do everything (diapers, clothes etc.) once I get them downstairs in the morning.
    :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Not that my son will cooperate and do this, but I believe on the belly is considered safest.  That is what they suggest and encourage at his gymboree class.