Downtown day care recommendations?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from singlemalt11. Show singlemalt11's posts

Downtown day care recommendations?

Hi all,

I'm looking to start my infant (to be born) in day care sometime around Jan 2012 and am trying to find a reasonably priced day care center somewhere near the financial district (without much luck). 

My husband and I in the midst of a move, so we don't really want to find a day care near our current home, and we haven't nailed down the location of our next place, so we thought best to go with somewhere close to both of our offices.  Plus, I really like the idea of having my little one close by so I can stop by during lunch breaks, or in the event of an emergency.

I know commuting in with the baby won't be a prize, but at this point, I would really like to find something downtown, at least for the time being.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations for day care centers? 

THANKS!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecod1818. Show capecod1818's posts

Re: Downtown day care recommendations?

Bright Horizons has a number of locations but they are really pricey.  If you are looking for downtown care I hate to say it but you probably aren't going to find anything that is what you would consider "affordable".  My advice is to get on waiting lists as soon as possible as a coworker of mine was looking for the same thing and was amazed at how long the waitlist was for some of these centers.  Best of luck in your search.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

a colleague of mine brings his daughter to bright horizons at tufts new england medical - said they got her in no problem. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from singlemalt11. Show singlemalt11's posts

In Response to Re: Downtown day care recommendations?:
    [QUOTE]a colleague of mine brings his daughter to bright horizons at tufts new england medical - said they got her in no problem. 
    Posted by stefani2[/QUOTE]

Thank you both.  Bright Horizons at Tufts is one I have looked at and is definitely at the high end of our price range.  They do have availability for when we'd need it, so it's an option.  I also found Sunshine Childcare right nearby, which is multi-cultural Chinese/English.  I actually like this place a lot but am on the wait list...really hoping to find an alternative that is priced less than Bright Horizons.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecod1818. Show capecod1818's posts

We use Bright Horizons as a backup daycare center as they have a deal with both mine and my husband's employers.  I will say that they are top notch so there is a reason for why they are so expensive.  I think there are a few daycare centers in the N. End.  Wasn't sure where in the financial district you are looking. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from momofatoddler. Show momofatoddler's posts

My children attend daycare at Buds & Blossoms in Chinatown.  It is run by the Asian American Civic Association and is a Mandarin immersion program. The price is much more reasonable than Bright Horizons. The infant teacher has a masters degree and used to work at Bright Horizons.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jttruong76. Show jttruong76's posts

My daughter goes to Sunshine Childcare and has been since 3.5 months. We love it and are so happy there. They are opening up a new infant/toddler area soon... hopefully in September, so you should have some luck with advancing on the waiting list.

The teachers here are wonderful and my daughter who is now 19 months old can sing Twinkle Twinkle in both English and Chinese! She is teaching us Mandarin because neither of us speak it.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. Great part about it, is that it is the most affordable one around this area!

Good luck!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from singlemalt11. Show singlemalt11's posts

[QUOTE]My children attend daycare at Buds & Blossoms in Chinatown.  It is run by the Asian American Civic Association and is a Mandarin immersion program. The price is much more reasonable than Bright Horizons. The infant teacher has a masters degree and used to work at Bright Horizons.
    Posted by momofatoddler[/QUOTE]

Thank you!!  I hadn't heard of this center and I am going to look into it.  It sounds great!Laughing

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from singlemalt11. Show singlemalt11's posts

[QUOTE]My daughter goes to Sunshine Childcare and has been since 3.5 months. We love it and are so happy there. They are opening up a new infant/toddler area soon... hopefully in September, so you should have some luck with advancing on the waiting list. The teachers here are wonderful and my daughter who is now 19 months old can sing Twinkle Twinkle in both English and Chinese! She is teaching us Mandarin because neither of us speak it. Let me know if you have any additional questions. Great part about it, is that it is the most affordable one around this area! Good luck!
    Posted by jttruong76[/QUOTE]

Thank you!!!  I'd love to hear more about your experience at Sunshine!!  It's definitely my top choice right now and I am really hoping to move up on that waiting list once the new center is opened.  Do you live or work near the area?   

I think it would be so fun to learn Mandarin along with our son - you must be having a great time with your daughter!! Laughing

Is there anything that you dislike about the center?  Anything I should be aware of?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jttruong76. Show jttruong76's posts

Hey there,

I work at Tufts and commute in with her everyday either via Orange Line or on the bus.

We have been extremely happy there. The director knows what is going on all the time with all of the kids and the teachers are very loving. It is very clean and most importantly the kids are so happy there.

Communication is sometimes a bit tricky with some of the more limited English speaking teachers, but I find that written notes help because then the director is able to translate everything for whoever needs extra help. I've never had any issues with anything not getting understood.

For the infants they do a handwritten daily report so when you come in, you write when they ate, slept, took care of business. Then when you come for pick up you get a full written report of what happened.

The greatest thing is they have a curriculum that is posted on a clipboard, so if you would like to reinforce stuff at home, you can. It is written in both English and Mandarin, so you will learn along with them!

Another great thing is that once they are eating table food, all meals and snacks are provided which is not typical from what I hear from other parents!

Good luck!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from singlemalt11. Show singlemalt11's posts

[QUOTE]Hey there, I work at Tufts and commute in with her everyday either via Orange Line or on the bus. We have been extremely happy there. The director knows what is going on all the time with all of the kids and the teachers are very loving. It is very clean and most importantly the kids are so happy there. Communication is sometimes a bit tricky with some of the more limited English speaking teachers, but I find that written notes help because then the director is able to translate everything for whoever needs extra help. I've never had any issues with anything not getting understood. For the infants they do a handwritten daily report so when you come in, you write when they ate, slept, took care of business. Then when you come for pick up you get a full written report of what happened. The greatest thing is they have a curriculum that is posted on a clipboard, so if you would like to reinforce stuff at home, you can. It is written in both English and Mandarin, so you will learn along with them! Another great thing is that once they are eating table food, all meals and snacks are provided which is not typical from what I hear from other parents! Good luck!
    Posted by jttruong76[/QUOTE]

Thanks again!

I actually just found out today that we will have a spot starting in mid-Feb 2012 at Sunshine.  I am so relieved and excited!  Now I just need to figure out what I am going to do for the month and a half before that.....