Enough Sleep? Newborn Addition

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Enough Sleep? Newborn Addition

IPW stole my question :o)

DD is 7 weeks old.  Some days she barely naps and I'm worried that she's not getting enough sleep.

Should she have a sleep routine by now?  She does to a certain extent, but some days she goes back down in the morning and others she stays up and then naps an hour later, for example.  I'd say she sleeps 8+ hours at night, more if you count the "nap" around 7 or 8 pm.  Some days she naps for an hour or more three times, other days she only naps for 20 minutes three times.  That can't be enough!

My main questions are: 1) Should she have more of a routine going? and 2) Should I be going all out to get her to nap longer?  (i.e. swaddle, etc.)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Enough Sleep? Newborn Addition

Any suggestions for books to read?  Maybe even cracking WTE the First Year would help.  Clearly I am clueless about sleep!

ETA: Here I am posting yet again!  I think part of my concern comes from reading your updates about babies that are far older than DD.  It seems like a lot of your babies go down for the night at like 7:00, but for her it's usually closer to 9-10:00, sometimes with a 30-60 minute nap right before that.  I guess I could call that going down, but it seems like a stretch.  Should I start trying to get her down earlier or is that something that comes with time?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Weissbluth Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child is everyone's favorite sleep manuel that I know of.  I can't even remember what my twins were doing at 7 weeks.  They certainly didn't sleep more than 4 hours at a stretch during the night - feeding at 10:00 - 2:0am and 6:00am.
    They cat napped a lot when they were tiny.  And sometimes my DS didn't sleep after the 6:00am bottle - used to drive me crazy! :)
    Hang in there - try to get a schedule started - it will help your baby get into a rhythm.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Fram I'd try not to stress about it right now.  I can't remember when I got DD on an actual routine but I know it was after 2 months.  I think what you are saying your routine is sounds pretty normal.  A bottle around 10, a feeding (or 2) during the night.  Probably in a month or so she may start to go down a little earlier or drop a feeding.  In the meantime I'd just go day by day. 

Oh also for napping during the day, sometimes DD would sleep the day away others she'd be awake alot - Same with DS.  Right now he is just about a month and was awake for about 3 hours straight.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Awww, fram, that's a really little baby! I think at that age our daughter was sleeping here and there. We called 8 or 9 pm bedtime because that's when I would keel over, but she still woke up two or three times between then and 5 or 6 am. At that age, a 5-hour stretch is considered sleeping through the night. And many babies that age still need to feed every couple hours. Their stomachs are only the size of their fists, so you get an idea of how little they hold, and they do their growing while they're asleep, so they wake up often to eat. I remember putting my daughter down to sleep and then coming back in a few hours and she was visibly larger. It was crazy!
    I think you can start working toward a schedule, but don't get too crazy with it. Your baby is still in the fourth trimester and adjusting to life on the outside, and more than anything she needs to be cuddled and loved by you as much as possible, because she misses being inside you.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Yes, I agree with the others -- we had nothing that even resembled a bedtime or a routine until probably close to 3 months.  It was just random alternation of sleeping and not sleeping.  Gradually seemed to stretch into longer sleep periods at night and longer awake periods during the day.
    I remember the first time she went to sleep around 7 and didn't wake back up by the time we were ready to go to bed.  We didn't know what to do with ourselves!  I don't even think she was "ready for bed" (pajamas, swaddle, whatever).
    And I also agree that it seemed sometimes like she slept all day and sometimes like she was awake all day.
    So little... already seems like a long time ago!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from evavase. Show evavase's posts

HI Fram, 

I read Weisbluth, and it was helpful, but I found Babywise to be the most helpful in the beginning.  It was an easy read too (nice in the chaos of the first few weeks). 

DS was up until 9:30 ish until week 10. I looked back on facebook b/c I remember the night we tried putting him down at 7pm I posted that I thought he would only sleep for 5 min.  Low and behold, he slept for 4 hours, and continued on the rest of the night!  From then on, off to bed early he went.  We actually ended up going earlier and earlier after that too.  He was going to bed at 5:30pm from month 3-4.  He's now settling down around 7:30pm. 

So, long story short, at 7 weeks, I wouldn't worry too much about bedtime.  I would suggest trying maybe once/week to put DD to bed early.  Sooner or later she'll go down early and like Medford said, you won't know what to do w/ yourselves!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Fram, my DD follows the exact same pattern, so I wouldn't worry too much.  She goes down around 9ish every night just because that's when she happens to pass out.  She's usually up by 7, getting up once or twice in between. 

She's the same as your DD with naps -- some days she won't sleep much at all, and other days she naps a ton.  We don't really go "all out" for naps with the swaddle and everything; usually naps are either on our shoulders or in her swing, but at night it's always the crib.

The other posters echoed pretty much everything I've read, that our DDs' age is too young to establish any sort of sleep routine, and we shouldn't expect it until a few months.  And I've also heard horror stories from other moms whose 7 week olds just won't sleep at night at all, so if anything I think we're very lucky!  :)

Like lily said, starting a nighttime routine wouldn't hurt.  My DD usually naps late in the day and wakes up around 6ish, so we do bathtime around 7 (which I think really helps to get her relaxed), feed her around 8 or 8:30, then in the crib around 9.  I'm a very routine person in general, so I like having that time always planned out for DD and me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Enough Sleep? Newborn Addition:
    [QUOTE]I found Babywise to be the most helpful in the beginning.  It was an easy read too (nice in the chaos of the first few weeks).
    Posted by evavase[/QUOTE]

Eva, I know that you are a good mom, and you probably read all these books for stuff you agree with and dismiss the stuff you don't, so this isn't anything against you. But I wanted to warn any new moms who might be looking for information on schedules and sleep training that the practices in Babywise have been linked to dehydration and failure to thrive, and the AAP has spoken out against it. It's especially in conflict with the needs of breastfed babies. The author is a pastor with no medical background, and some of the claims in the book are downright alarming, like the claim that back-sleeping does not reduce SIDS, or that newborns should not be held or carried a lot because it will cause back problems ... for the baby!

Every book has good and bad advice, but this one is particularly wacko. Caveat emptor. 

http://aapnews.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/14/4/21
    http://www.ezzo.info/Aney/aneyaap.htm

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

It's hard to remember because it is now all lost in the fog of motherhood, but at that age I think my daughter was still following a patter of feeding every 2 hours or so, around the clock.  She was pretty good about sleeping at night but she still had to wake up nurse.  At around 2 months I had just started to push her to be a little more diurnal, but it was not like she was up all day and sleeping all night.  She was just awake more in the day, but with at least 2 big naps still. We had the packnplay downstairs and she'd sleep there during the day for her naps.  Her "bedtime" was just that after her 7PM feeding I'd put her back down upstairs in her bassinett in the dark instead of downstairs with us. 
    Again, it's really blurry and I was stupid and busy and didn't keep a journal of anything.  I remember she didn't sleep in 4 hours stretches at night until 4 months and at 5 months she'd made it to 6 hour stretches for a week or so but when I went back to work she reverse cycled and went back to 2 hours stretches.  It took some doing getting her back to sleeping in 6 hour stretches after I went back to work.  I do remember at 9 months she was making it from 9-4 and it was awesome.  She was sleeping 7-6 but she would wake at 9 and 4 for food.
    Good luck!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

Every baby is different and you should see patterns forming soon with DD.  My oldest DD was sleeping thru the night at 8 weeks from 9pm-8am.  DD #2 has been sleeping thru the night since 5 weeks 8pm-7am.  They formed their own patterns and I just went with it.  It might also be different because they are formula fed babies.  Its awesome she is sleeping great for you already tho!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I'll emphasize again that all babies are different, because for me, DD was pretty much nocturnal for the fist 6-7 weeks. She had always been more active (kicking etc.) at night in utero, and once she was born, kept up with it for a long time. She would sleep a lot in short bursts during the day, but she wanted to party from 11pm - 2am every night for a while. It nearly killed me when I was trying to get back on a normal routine to go back to work.
    But around 11-14 weeks, she switched to being more dinural, and life got a lot easier. That isn't to say its been all sweetness and roses since then. I really feel that sleep is kind of one step forward, two steps back, since every cold, milestone, change in daytime routine, etc. seems to disrupt her sleep. but as time goes on, it takes less time to get back on track, so now it is a few nights instead of a week or more.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

At 7 weeks I would cry it out - just kidding everyone!!

I definitely would not stress too much either.  Allow the baby to try and nap - consider swaddling after awake for 2 hours.  This is a great time to start bedtime routine.  They are still super young at 7 weeks and do not have maturity in the sleep patterns yet.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

def. read weissbluth.  he says that around that time babies start to want to go to bed earlier (something about their circadian rhythms and temperatures maturing or something - it's a real natural phenomenon), and i think our babies were 8 wks old when we instituted a 7pm bedtime - which was a LIFESAVER in terms of getting a routine going and avoiding the witching hour.  (doesn't sound like you have that problem, but if you're into routines i'd recommend trying this.  in my experince with my babies, it's only taken a few days to get ANY new routine to stick so hang in there!)  my babies' bedtime moved to 6pm and is now back to 7 - they are 6 months old.

in general don't stress b/c it's very early for a routine to develop.  our daytime routine is even still somewhat in flux (even though weissbluth says that around 3 months predictable naps emerge - huh).  but, i'm surprised that your DD is going for such long stretches w/o sleep - i would have expected that around 7 weeks you'd still be doing the feeding/changing/sleeping cycle over and over again, but it sounds like your DD is awake for longer periods?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Lemon that is so interesting about babywise...someone recommended it to me when DS was born but I never got around to reading!

Fram I wouldn't worry about a sleep pattern right now either. As long as your DD is growing, having regular bowel movements and stuff then don't wake a sleeping a baby or try to get them to go to sleep when they aren't ready!  I'm jealous of your 8 hours!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Enough Sleep? Newborn Addition:
    [QUOTE]Lemon that is so interesting about babywise...someone recommended it to me when DS was born but I never got around to reading!
    Posted by LiveLoveLearnEnjoy[/QUOTE]

yeah, I think that any of the moms here are smart and savvy enough to just ignore the more crazy stuff, but a naive, impressionable, or isolated mom could really run into trouble with a book like babywise. At any rate, I do think it raises unreasonable expectations for very young babies. And it's definitely bad advice for breastfeeding moms, because babies that age need to nurse on demand, and they digest breastmilk much faster, so a strict schedule really isn't practical.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

I would stay away from Babywise.  The guy who wrote it is a nut job who belongs in jail and started a crazy church and was actually kicked out for embezzeling money.  He should be brought up on child abuse charges.  This is the one time I actually support the burning of a book!  Personally, it totally goes against everything I've ever felt as a mom.  Lemon put it alot nicer as she always does, I'm kind of blunt.

I had a cat napper baby.  He would grap bits of sleep here and there and was totally happy and thrived.  I would have loved to get longer stretches of sleep at night (usually 3 at the most if I was lucky) but we co-slept so nighttime feeding was quick and easy.

Don't worry about it right now unless baby is super fussy all the time and seems cranky.  Lemon's experience was pretty similar to mine.  DS started sleeping longer stretches as night time feeds tapered off.  As a two year old, he goes down perfectly every night and sleeps through without issues and gets up happy as a clam.  I never thought he'd become such a great sleeper with his napper-baby personality in the beginning.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

I read the Dr. Sears Baby Book.  It has some good factual information but the mind-set is a bit unpractical with today's two-working parents reality.  It places soooo much emphasis on the monther-baby bond and then says oh yeah, the daddy-baby bond is important too.  It was written from the days when moms did indeed stay home and the dad went to work.  Overall, a nice book and has great milestone charts and baby sickness, first aid type of info but the whole granola-crunchy mom is goddess to her mini-god was just starting to drive me a bit nuts.  I hated the WTE pregnancy book so I avoided the baby book.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

http://www.pantley.com/elizabeth/books/0071381392.php

"The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley is also enormously popular and helpful, including typical sleep patterns and how many hours per day a baby (at different stages in life) should be getting.  ie its spelled out like "4 hours worth of naps in the day and 14 hours at "night" including breaks to feed."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thank you all for your input - and especially for the reassurance!  It means a lot to this rookie mom :o)

I think the amount of sleep she's getting at night is pretty good, it's just the naps I'm worried about.  I started k.eeping track of her sleep about 10 days ago, but hadn't done any math; looks like she usually gets around 12 hours of sleep per day and I think she's supposed to get more like 15.  I'm going to put some more effort into quality naps during the day.

And I'm glad to hear the earlier bed time may spontaneously begin on it's own!  Last night she fell asleep around 8:40, so I let her sleep whereas I would usually wake her for one more feeding (the only time I ever wake her to eat).  She sleept for 3+ hours... Of course I stupidly did not go to bed at 8:40!  Next time!

http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-much-sleep-does-your-child-need_7645.bc

http://www.babycenter.com/0_baby-sleep-basics-birth-to-3-months_7654.bc

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

You're doing great! You'll see a LOT of changes over the next month or so, and just when you think she's the perfect sleeper she'll hit the 3 or 4-month regression and it will all go to s***.

I did a lot of stuff wrong with my daughter. I should have sleep trained her earlier -- I just didn't have the heart to do it. I wish I'd read Weissbluth back then, because I later learned really important stuff, like about sleep deficits and recognizing when your baby is overtired. Everything turned out fine in the end, but I could have saved myself and the kids a lot of trouble if I'd known about that book back then.

So read that one.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Oh, and I did read the No Cry Sleep Solution and tried to do the stuff she recommended, but it just turned into the lots of crying and screaming no sleep solution for us.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

In addition to the Weisbluth book, Check out "The Sleep Lady" book and website, too - thesleeplady.com - her real name is Kim West.  I haven't read the book, but I've read through her website and she seems to make lots of sense. 

I plan to get the book and read it, because I think we need to rethink naps at our childcare center and the importance of our babies getting them earlier in the AM vs. getting overtired.  It's such a balance of how much time one teacher should/can spend getting 1 child to sleep when the other teacher is then caring for many other children.... but on the other hand, if you spend the time (15-20 mins sometimes) getting that one to sleep and she/he sleeps for a good 2 hour nap, it's worth it.  Or spend the 15-20 mins to get the baby back to sleep if woken so s/he has a "good nap' is also important.

The challenge is our 3 teachers take turns having 1 hour breaks from 11-3pm so during these times when many infants sleep, there are only 2 teachers not 3 in the room. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Ct - It is funny that you mentioned this. I just really started to notice that at daycare DD goes down quite a bit later for her morning nap.  Sometimes she sleeps fine but sometimes it is a short nap.  I think when they put her down earlier before getting too tired she does better too.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

by the way, those babycenter charts will drive you CRAZY. Wait until you get to the solids charts. Or worse -- the developmental milestones!