Enraged sleeping

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ellie1509. Show Ellie1509's posts

Enraged sleeping

I've read all the books, we have a routine, but my seven month old child does not play by the rules. She screams every night, without fail, for two hours at a time, when being put down at 7, then again at 1am and at 4am. That doesn't make for much sleep. We are besides ourselves. Any advice?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Re: Enraged sleeping

In Response to Enraged sleeping:
    [QUOTE]I've read all the books, we have a routine, but my seven month old child does not play by the rules. She screams every night, without fail, for two hours at a time, when being put down at 7, then again at 1am and at 4am. That doesn't make for much sleep. We are besides ourselves. Any advice?
    Posted by Ellie1509[/QUOTE]

Have you talked to your pediatrician?  By 7 mon, it does not seem normal for a baby to be up for that long screaming and that many times during the night.  There may be something wrong that is waking the baby up, for instance gas, acid reflux etc that you may not know your baby is experiencing. Sorry I can't be more help but I'd ask a doctor! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Oh, poor you and poor baby!  I feel for ya.

You're going to have to give us more details, and be a good private eye.  And speak with your pediatrician because possibly she does have something uncomfortable/painful happening when she lays down.

But some general questions.... (about 1000)

Is she tired at 7pm?  Really?  Maybe she's not.

And during the day, does she go to sleep then?  how?  Do you keep the same type of routine to go to bed during the day as the night and she goes to sleep easily all day but not at night?  is she really hungry when she wakes up at 1am and 4pm?  If not, why does she wake up at those times?  Does she nurse/feed and then go back to sleep?  (obviously not, but why not?)

Perhaps she doesn't have regular naptimes during the day and falls asleep catch and catch can in the stroller, carseat, etc.  Then if that's true she doesn't know how to go to sleep, so 7pm is very different for her.  But if she DOES take naps easily in her crib, why is 7pm hard?  Again, is she really tired?  what about if you put her down to sleep at 7:30pm after a nighttime bottle/nurse, bath, quiet song sung with lights out as you rock her in your ars and a kiss on the nose?  Or 8pm?  Does it make it better, or are there 2 hours of screaming fits no matter when she goes to bed, day or night? 

Can you get her to fall asleep at all at 7pm if you rocked her, or does it take her 2 hours to settle, even if you rock her that whole time to try to get her to sleep?

Is there something happening outside your home/apt at 7pm that makes it hard to go to sleep, or did it happen a few times and she associates that with going to bed?  For ex: does the neighbor next door come home without fail at freakin' 7pm on that LOUD motorcycle, setting your dogs off, or your neighbor's dogs, etc?  Or is that when your husband/partner/wife gets home and baby wants to see him/her?  Or or or?

How do you get your daughter to sleep? What works?  Because if something works, perhaps you have to build on that and then gradually (over the course of a few months, not days) work backwards and get her to the point of being put to bed by herself so she can fall asleep by herself.  REgardless of what the books say, and I am a HUGE advocate of children learning to put themselves to sleep and I truly do believe that parents often keep their child from learning this important skill, I also know that ALL children are DIFFERENT and not all conform easily to the "sleep books." 

Just remember, your child is NOT trying to be defiant or difficult about sleep, she's not manipulating you or being naughty - she's just too young for that.  And it can feel that way, I bet, when you are overtired and overwhelmed by 2 hours of screaming!  And if you aren't a single parent the you two are also going through the "are we doing this right, do we agree, how do we do this when we do disagree" thing that couples go through in these types of situations.

Again, poor you!  So if you can answer the questions then perhaps we have more to work with for anwers....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

More questions, is this new behavior or has she always been hard to put to sleep? Because she could be teething. Our DD just got 4 teeth all at once and she was inconsolable, waking up screaming and nothing would soothe her, until we put some orajel on her gums. We also resorted to giving her a dose of baby tylenol before bed until all the teeth had broken the surface (only 3-4 nights) because she was so uncomfortable.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbiresearch. Show kbiresearch's posts

Have you really read Dr. Richard Ferber's book?  It's good advice all around.  My third child was like yours, and it took several rounds, spaced a month or more apart, before the Ferber method worked.  Keep a log of your progress. 
    The 7 p.m. bedtime is definitely too early for your little one.  I would push it back to 9:00 pm immediately, without even knowing what kind of napping schedule she has during the day.
    Is she sharing the bedroom with a sibling?  Or pet?  She should be alone at all costs.  No noise after the brief pre-bedtime routine.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrookeBlair. Show BrookeBlair's posts

Sounds like my son.  Acid Reflux.  Its horrible and even with medication you can never really fix it.  Sorry but it will get better.

In Response to Enraged sleeping:
    [QUOTE]I've read all the books, we have a routine, but my seven month old child does not play by the rules. She screams every night, without fail, for two hours at a time, when being put down at 7, then again at 1am and at 4am. That doesn't make for much sleep. We are besides ourselves. Any advice?
    Posted by Ellie1509[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

In Response to Re: Enraged sleeping:
    [QUOTE]Sounds like my son.  Acid Reflux.  Its horrible and even with medication you can never really fix it.  Sorry but it will get better. In Response to Enraged sleeping :
    Posted by BrookeBlair[/QUOTE]

I agree that it sounds like reflux.  My second daughter suffered with it and it took months for her to feel better -- she ended up on prescription formula and two twice-daily medications.  The time line from first her signs to genuine relief was 3 weeks old until about 7 months.

Then it was on to teething!  

Hang in there.  Check with your pediatrician, though, and don't give in if you're not satisfied with the response you get.  Because we've moved a number of times, we've had a few changes in doctors.  Some had a casual, "wait and see", approach to our concerns (about other issues with other children, not this one).  Other doctors, one in particular, took those concerns much more seriously and worked diligently to help the child feel better as soon as possible -- working with us, as well, which is, I think, a most important quality in a doctor.

Good luck!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from klmgroove. Show klmgroove's posts

Is she screaming even if you sing to or feed her?  Or just screaming on her own in her room?

If she's screaming with comfort from you, then I agree that she may have a digestive issue that is causing discomfort and intterupting her ability to sleep.  Acid reflux is a common one and the advice above cover it pretty well.

If you're trying to get her to soothe herself, though, I think it's possible that it's too early and she is still in need of some food or comfort during the night.  Seven months old is quite early to expect a baby to sleep through, and even Ferber himself would never advocate leaving a baby crying without any soothing for two hour stretches several times a night.  Have you tried nursing her or giving her a bottle when she wakes up?  Or going in to soothe her back to sleep?  Our daughter is 22 months old and nursed at least once at night up until a few months ago. 

Hope that helps! 

Kristine

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtuhuskies. Show mtuhuskies's posts

i feel for you... and your daughter! It will get better, and I too wonder if reflux is an issue.  My son did not have enough reflux for the pedi to give him medicine but he is now 17 months and he stull struggles at times with it - I can see him stop, and gulp or smack his lips around, as his food or drink comes back up.  So as an infant it must have been very uncomfortable and I am sure contributed to his temperment

Anyway, as far as the crying, whatever the cause, I hope you will read these links and will be able to find another solution other than the night schedule you describe as it is definitely not working for either of you.  I hope it gets betters soon!
    http://tinyurl.com/2lvanb
    http://tinyurl.com/mkrc3r
    http://tinyurl.com/nlqtqz

Sections
Shortcuts