Ergo vs. Bjorn

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Ergo vs. Bjorn

I already got a Bjorn off of my registry and am having second thoughts!  I started reading more into it and people seem to love the Ergo (double the price!) and say that the Bjorn is bad for baby's back and mom's.  Originally, I wanted the Bjorn because the baby can face both ways, does that even matter? 
    I got the Bjorn at xmas time, would I still be able to exchange it for something else at BRU if I decided to?  Not sure about their return policy, but figure if it was on my registry I don't need a receipt.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbkp. Show kbkp's posts

Re: Ergo vs. Bjorn

In Response to Ergo vs. Bjorn:

I have the Bjorn and love it. When my little guy was only a few weeks old, I would use it and face him towards me...now that he is older, I face him out and he loves it! It seems confusing at first to get on and fitted, but once you wear it the first time and get everything adjusted it's great! I use it all the time to run errands, take walks and even put him in there when doing things around the house. Overall I have been happy with the purchase. The Bjorn was recommended to me by family/friends who had used it, so I never questioned any other brands. Good luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I used a bjorn, but it definitely killed my back and my daugher was very floppy in it -- I was always afraid she'd fall out. You can't really do much in it, and you can't nurse in it.

My daughter liked facing out most of the time, so we went with a soft carrier called a babytrekker -- the baby can face in or out, on front or back. It was great for nursing, hiking, yard work -- pretty much everything. A friend has a Lillebaby, which is similar but without the outward-back carry and with a hip carry.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I have both, thanks to the hand me down Gods. The Bjorn puts the pressure on the small of your back and the Ergo puts the pressure on your shoulders and upper back. Keep in mind my Bjorn is a hand me down, but the plastic parts don't seem to hold up as well and I've had to do more fixing on the Bjorn. The bjorn has straps the fold over to secure, while the Ergo has pieces that snap together (I am not explaining that well).

I find as DD gets bigger, I prefer the Ergo for long term comfort and overall have found the Ergo to be a sturdier, longer lasting carrer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

ml -- are you carrying in front? When your baby is old enough to be on back you probably won't feel any pressure on your shoulders or back at all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I have lowerback problems, sounds like the bjorn is not the way to go!  I also have looked into the pikkolo, sounds a lot like the ergo but you don't need the infant insert,but seems more complicated to put on.  Decisions, decisions!   I'm sure that since I'm putting so much thought into this, I'll have a baby that doesn't like carriers at all!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Disclaimer - I'm a baby wearing PITA with a carrier obsession so here's my two cents.

The baby bjorn is bad and should be taken off the market and Angelina Jolie has done a major disservice to babywearing by making the bjorn chic.  The baby just dangles (either forward or inward facing) and that can put a lot of strain on the hips and is bad for development.  This is what I've been told by babywearing gurus (I haven't achieved that status yet) and also backed up by this fancy pediatric orthopedist I saw.  Some people disagree and say its a lot of hooey so use your own judgement.  I personally found them terribly expensive as you can only get a few months out of it before baby is too heavy and it kills your back.

Ergo (and similar) is excellent and worth every penny.  Baby sits in a cradle-like position where the thighs to knees are well supported and you can keep on trekking with this carrier well into toddlerhood.  I saw a guy at Costco with his 5 year old on his back and she must have been about 40 lbs.  Both looked very comfy.

There is a learning curve for ALL carriers no matter what so give it a try and keep on trying.  And try again, practice makes perfect.  If you go to any of the Magic Beans locations, they have tons of different ones to try out and they can help you. I pretty much tried all of the ones on the market and I really loved the Ergo.

Also, with regards to forward facing, experts don't recommend it because the baby's back is arched rather than curved and this is the worst possible scenario.  Imagine dangling from a climbing harness and having to keep your back arched the whole time.  How comfortable would you be?

But, all babies are different and some insist on facing out.  I had one of theses and accomplished this by using a single piece of fabric carrier and doing modified hip carries.  You can also carry a very young baby (3-4 months) high up on your back between the shoulder blades in what's called the Tibetan rucksack carry (search it out on youtube).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I have two baby bjorns... both from the hand me down gods... and there is a huge difference between the two. I have religiously used  one of them that has a lower back support (e.g., every time we leave the house- my DS hated the car seat). the other one just crosses in the back, and I avoided it like the plague.  I have a huge baby- 20 pounds at 6 months, and was in a serious car accident with long term back problems when I was younger- and I have done ok with respect to pain. As long as I have adjusted the bottom strap for height, it was fine (for stints up to two hours at a time- not sure what you are looking for)

he does kind of dangle I guess-in that he is "sitting" on the bottom strap. but I think as long as you keep using the top buttons and the bottom strap is adjusted for height, it hasn't been too bad in terms of his "looseness". we grocery shop in it all the time and he now insists on forward facing (we started that at maybe 4 months?).  I can bend over and he doesn't fall out or anything. Given his size, although I had a moby wrap i never used it- he "felt" too heavy in it (although I am sure that if someone had taught me, I would have felt different).  now, given his size, he is pretty "snug", so the bending back thing is a bit irrelevant.

Wow- I had no idea there were health hazards associated with these things- i loved using it. however- once in the grocery store- know how the older ladies always come up and say hello/etc. with babies- I had one lean in and say "he's cute, but be careful you don't snap his neck like" and then she made this horrible sound. it was awful! maybe she knew more about these than I did

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I LOVED my Bjorn.  But, I used it as needed, I wasn't super frequent babywearer as some of my friends - DS was a big stroller fan, so that worked for us.  
    I just found the Bjorn very, very easy to use.  In my mind, there couldn't be an easier one to figure out on the market.  I also used a Baby K'Tan sling/wrap thing.  More complex to use than the Bjorn and I had to practice with an object before I trusted myself with baby, but this can be worn in a zillion positions and it was great when he was a newborn and wanted to snuggle but I needed some free hands. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Also thanks to hand me downs (and one purchase...) we have an older Bjorn, a K'tan, and the Ergo.  The Bjorn kills my back, but it is an older one that just crosses in the back; I'm not sure if newer ones are better.  I had heard about the potential hip issues, so I was nervous about it anyway.
    I loved the K'tan for the newborn and I found it pretty easy to use after a few tries.  I used it a lot around the house when she wanted to be snuggled but I wanted to do other stuff.  Now that she is getting heavier (5 months and about 14 pounds), the K'tan hurts my back, too, at least in the hold I've been using.
    So we are on to the Ergo.  We never used the infant insert because it is basically like a sleeping bag and it was summer.  Both the baby and I would have been puddles of sweat.  So now we've just started with the Ergo and so far it is awesome.  She seems really comfortable and I feel great in it.

In summary, my advice is to get one thing that is cheap, or preferably even a hand me down, and then see how it goes.  There is also a group called Boston Babywearers and I believe they loan out carriers to try after you have the baby.  Also, if you go to Isis they will let you try all the carriers with the baby.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Ergo vs. Bjorn:
    I just found the Bjorn very, very easy to use.  In my mind, there couldn't be an easier one to figure out on the market.
    Posted by MM379

That's definitely the selling point of the bjorn. We kept one in the trunk for grocery store trips -- when she'd start to freak out in the bucket, it was easy to just pop her into the bjorn and get on with it. And my husband felt comfortable using it too -- he couldn't deal with all the straps and buckles and adjustments and options of the ergo or the babytrekker, and he wanted absolutely nothing to do with the moby. But for longer wearings -- our daughter loved being worn but hated the stroller for a long time -- the bjorn was really uncomfortable.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Man, I wish I'd read this before buying the Bjorn!  We received 2 carriers as gifts (I can't remember what kinds they were) and both we and DD hated them both.  So I returned them and got the Bjorn.  We've only used it once and really liked it.  DD was happy and DH was happy.  I'm not sure what people mean when they say the baby "dangles" - it seemed DD was sort of sitting in it with legs out.  What I didn't love about it was DD couldn't get to her hands, and that seems unnatural to me.

In the Ergo can the baby face out?  I wouldnt' want a carrier where the baby couldn't face out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from smileyd. Show smileyd's posts

Bjorn was good for the first few months, but ERGO is a lifesaver well beyond.  I had my oldest (3 yo) in the ERGO last week and felt perfectly fine.  Even when my youngest was small (15 lbs.), I felt the bjorn pulling on my shoulders, but when I'd put her in the ERGO, it was as if she wasn't there...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Poppy -- the ergo is inward-facing only. But the babytrekker and the Lillebaby are in- and outward facing. Like Sarah said, the outward-facing position isn't ideal, but I wore my daughter tight in the carrier, so we were firmly back-to-back.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

As Lemon said, the Ergo is only inward facing, but I think it depends on your baby whether or not that is a big deal.
    It sounds like some babies don't like to face in, but for our 5 monther, she is perfectly happy to face in.  Particularly since she can hold her head up straight and turn it so well now, when she's in the Ergo she has enough play to turn side to side to see all the goings ons, and then can also look up to smile at whoever is wearing her.  It's not like when she was itty bitty in the K'Tan and she didn't have much choice except to nestle in.
    Possibly the reason I like the Ergo so much is because the giant waist strap and buckle remind me of the backpack I had in college to trek from hostel to hostel...??  :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I liked the waist strap positioning -- it hid some of the post-preg bulge.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

The Bjorn just holds them around the crotch area so the baby dangles as if you had one leg on each side of the balance beam.  The Ergo (and other more structured carriers and wraps) create a seat where the baby sits and also has their thighs supported - like being in a chair.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Yes -- the babytrekker has a band that wraps around the seat to narrow it for outward-facing. The band releases to widen the seat for inward-facing.

It was really great at the aquarium when she was a baby. She couldn't walk, and you can't see anything from stroller level.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from workingmom51310. Show workingmom51310's posts

I have the Ergo.  I went on the recommendation of a coworker who had both and loved the Ergo.  Yes it is true your baby can not face outward but it is better for the baby as when they are facing you they can turn their head and look out but when they become over stimulated or tired they can then choose to look at their mommy/daddy or rest their head on your chest and sleep.  This way they can hear your heartbeat/breathing/voice and be comforted.  You can also use the Ergo in a back carry position and a hip carry positon which I have found my son loves now that he is older.  This still gives him the ability to snuggle but gives him a bit more freedom to look around.  The inward position is also better for them ergonomically and for safety reasons their legs/arms are not dangling so they are less able to grab at stuff as you walk by.  Finally, my coworker got a lot more use out of the Ergo rather than the bjorn as her child grew - at over 20 lbs my son would be too heavy and long for a bjorn.  He loves the Ergo.  I have used it since he was a newborn to go berry picking, walk through craft fairs, Yankee Candle factory, walks, cleaning, vacuuming, any any place that is crowded and busy. But he loves his stroller too so we are able to adjust to the situation.
    ps if you are looking for ways to use the ergo I found the ergo lady website super helpful.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

it is better for the baby as when they are facing you they can turn their head and look out but when they become over stimulated or tired they can then choose to look at their mommy/daddy or rest their head on your chest and sleep.
    Posted by workingmom51310

I'd always heard that too, but from about 4 months on my daughter insisted on facing out. She'd cry and scream and push away when I tried to face her in, but once I turned her around she was all smiles and would wave her hands and coo and laugh. If she got tired or wanted to nurse I'd turn her around and she'd settle against my chest or back. But most of the time she wanted to be part of the action. She's still like that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I don't think returning it at BRU will be a problem at all.  I just returned like 15 things from my shower, no questions asked.  Now I can use that store credit for a mattress plus!

I think with carriers a lot of it depends on you.  I have a feeling that almost any carrier would bother my lower back, so we registered for a cheap one.  If I find that we're using it a lot, maybe we'll invest in one of the above.  When I was a nanny, the mother kept encouraging me to use their carrier when the baby had gas (possibly a Bjorn).  But I couldn't wear it for more than a few minutes without my back hurting.  This was 7+ years ago, so whatever brand it was has probably made improvements.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Fram, a cheap carrier will absolutely kill your back, and you should stay away from the snugli or infantino -- they're really hard on your back and shoulders and not comfortable or secure for the baby either. I think it's wise to start with something like a moby, which is customizable and won't strain your back, and then, if you want one, buy a carrier both you and the baby can enjoy. But don't judge all carriers by the bjorn -- I have a really strong back and that one had me aching and groaning like an old man with a kidney stone after about 20 minutes.

*Another benefit to waiting to see what kind will work for you -- you can buy it used on craigslist. Someone got a great deal on a barely-used ergo from me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from roneil68. Show roneil68's posts

I have the Bjorn (a holdover from my older children) a new Ergo and a K'tan - I've spent more $ on baby carrier's than I did on my first car!  The Bjorn is easier to use but the Ergo is way more comfortable.  I've never gotten the hang of the K'tan so I can't speak to that either way.  Like someone referenced above, you have to practice.  My DD hated to be worn at first but now she tolerates it - I won't say loves it.  She is pretty social (7 months old today) and loves to sit up in a shopping cart so she can interact with people when we're out.  I would say the Ergo is your best bet since you can move the baby to your back.  I only hope that one does not need to be a contortionist to do so!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I would say the Ergo is your best bet since you can move the baby to your back.  I only hope that one does not need to be a contortionist to do so!
    Posted by roneil68

When I was learning to wear the baby on back, the video on the Ergo website was totally useless -- that was 1.5 years ago, so maybe they've changed it. The model put the baby on in front and then tried to hitch it around to the back, unsuccessfully. The film cuts with the model looking frustrated and the baby upset, and resumes with the model smiling and the baby miraculously on back. Thanks a lot, ergo.

I found it easiest to follow the babytrekker instructions -- put the carrier on a chair, put the baby on the carrier in a seated position, fasten the waist belt, and put my arms through the straps, hauling the baby up onto my back in the process. I started before she was able to crawl, so she was used to the maneuver. Once she could crawl or walk, she'd usually get right onto the carrier because she liked it. It was really easy -- I was even able to do it in the passenger seat of our Yaris.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What kind of instrutional video is THAT?!  LOL

Sections
Shortcuts