Exclusively pumping moms

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Re: Exclusively pumping moms

One more item that I failed to mention previously... 4th degree tear?  You poor thing!  You should win some sort of prize for dealing with that alone never mind worrying about weight gain and breastfeeding!  Hope you get the time you need to heal.  Let us know how things go but it seems like you have a pretty good handle on what's best for you!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jennyla13. Show Jennyla13's posts

Hi,

Congrats on the new baby! I pumped exclusively for a year for my daughter. She was born almost 6 weeks early and was in the special care nursery for 2 weeks before coming home. I knew I wanted to try and breastfeed, so I started pumping right away at the hospital.  She never got the hang of breastfeeding once she was on the bottle at the hospital, so I stuck it out with the pumping.

I am not sure if it will help, but see if you can rent a hospital grade pump. I used the Medela one at the hospital and my insurance covered a rental for home. I think it helped increase my supply. I also pumped often, every 3 hours (including throughout the night). Once my supply was abundant, I started to widen the time between pump sessions. I really think the hospital grade pump will help a lot. Try looking into it.

Good luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedplan. Show Wedplan's posts

Congratulations!  a few tips - i EP'd for 8.5 months for my first son who never latched.  He was born 3 weeks early and we fed him in the hospital with a syringe at first.  I went to the LC a few times and then just decided that it would be pumping for me because it was just too hard to try and feed then pump and LO was having nothing to do with me.  One of the things I did was take an old sports bra and cut holes for the pumping cups - made my life so much better because i was now hands free.  At times I was able to feed LO propped on a pillow and pump at the same time.

For my second thankfully he latched and fed great - to the point that my supply couldn't keep up, especially when I went back to work and despite the federal law of having a mothers room, my employer (which was a hospital) did not provide a easily accessible space and I ended up scrambling to find places to pump which really messed with my routine and supply.  grrr...work!  They felt that I only had to pump 2x day (I am away from LO for 12hrs at a time) and had a 10-15 minute walk to pumping place.  Needless to say with those complications and aggravations I was only able to pump for about 5months for #2 

Also, if you end up supplementing formula - I used enfamil premium because that is what the hospital gave us and has worked great for both kids (I have 2 now).  Amazon Mom - has the best price if you buy in the subscribe and save for 5 packs at a time - less than BJs.

Remember - take a breath, your little one will be ok regardless of whether he or she gets mom's milk or formula - they really just need you for the love and attention not as much as a food supply.  Enjoy your LO and your time off to bond - it goes by REALLY fast.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mo41083. Show Mo41083's posts

Seriously, could you all be more supportive? I really appreciate all the comments as I'm getting so frustrated with the pumping that every day I tell myself I'm going to stop but I don't. I feel awful guilty stopping. Today I was with my mother and pumping when I only got about 3/4th of an ounce in 25 minutes from both sides and and was so upset. My mom told me to quit but I just feel so bad about it. I'm finally having my 2 week postpartum appointment Tuesday with my OB even though it's more like 3 weeks and I'm definitely going to ask her about it. I think I'm experiencing a little more than the baby blues worrying about this and I have an extensive family history of depression so I want to keep on top of it. Poor DH has been dealing with me crying about everything and anything lately.

I'm not sure why but I think that if my OB or DD's pedi tells me it's okay to stop I'll feel better about it. I just hate now when people ask me about breastfeeding or see me giving DD a bottle that I feel judged and like I need to explain myself.

CLC, thanks for your comment about the tear, it was definitely not something that I even thought about before delivering. Everything I read made 4th degree tears seem so rare that I think I pushed the possiblity of it happening to me out of my mind. It's definitely not fun but luckily as the OB that stitched me back up said I "have great anatomy" and they think I should heal up fine with no lasting issuses. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

Sounds like you are putting in a lot of effort without a lot of result. You have already gone above and beyond, so don't feel guilty at all. I only kept EPing in the beginning because I was getting more and more as I kept it up. And people will always have something to comment on, no matter what you choose to do! Good luck at your appointment and definitely fill your Dr in on how you are feeling.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Mo - I'm so glad you have rec'd some good advice and I hope you're feeling at least a little better.  I'm completely saying this from a place of support, but did you say they the LC wants you to feed the baby 3 oz every 2 hours?  That seems like an awful lot for a 3 week old.  I remember getting similar advice (that 3 oz was possibly too much) on here when my DD was a couple weeks old.  Might be worth double checking with the an LC or pedi.  At 3 weeks, I would think maybe 2 oz bottles, but I realize you all are worried about weight gain and I might not know what I'm talking about!  When my DD started daycare at 13 weeks she started w/ 3 1/2 oz bottles. 

I don't think I saw mention on here that supply is highest in the a.m.  It might be helpful to pump frequently earlier in the day.  Supposedly supply goes down around supper time.  DD and I struggled with BFing a bit, so I did some pumping in the first weeks (and when I went back to work).  I obviously don't mean to tell you what to do, but hate to see a new mom going through a hard time.  Do you think you could compromise and pump like 3-4 times a day and feed formula the rest of the time?  Best of luck with whatever you decide!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Mo, Honey, it's totally okay to stop pumping! The best thing you can do for yourself and your DD is to heal and be happy. Post pardum depression is no joke. The stress you're putting yourself under is just not fair to yourself or your baby. Maybe even give yourself a day away from the pump and see how you feel.

Did your mother breastfeed? If she tried and had low supply there's a great chance you will face the same challanges. My mother had low supply, so did I. Another girlfriend's mother had low supply and so did she. The best thing she did was surrender the pump after a few weeks.

I had the same feeling "today's my last day with the pump" I said that to myself for 5 months, and I soooo wish I had listened to myself earlier and just said bye to it much earlier and enjoyed my  LOs.

You're doing a great job!  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm not a mother, but I have suffered with severe depression that required drugs and therapy to keep me alive.  I'd have to weigh in and agree with KAM's post above - take care of yourself at all costs and by doing so you'll be the best mother you can be because you are the healthiest you can be.  Emotional health is everything.  Formula will take just as good care of your baby as bm, but an emotionally sick mother cannot take just as good care of your baby as a healthy one.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Mo - I'm with Kar and KAM.  You've given pumping a solid try and it isn't working for you.  You should have NO guilty over stopping.  It's more important for your LO to have a happy, healthy mom than breast milk, if your doctor tells you otherwise I would think about switching.  Wishing you the best!

As for people judging you, unfortunately they are going to judge you no matter what you do.  If you breastfeed in public people are going to judge  you, if you bottle feed with breast milk people are going to judge you and if you bottle feed with formula people are going to judge you.  Try not to give it another thought!

ETA: I got asked about breastfeeding a lot which made me uncomfortable so my standard response was "I'm not breastfeeding, it just wasn't our thing."  It was a line I was comfortable with and if people wanted more detail (and I was comfortable with sharing more) they could always ask.  Close friends and family, who were truly interested, would ask follow up questions but most people just left it at that.  Perhaps you can come up with a similar line that you're comfortable with when asked about it?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Mo, I just wanted to echo what others said, that if you're done with pumping, give yourself permission to be done.  Perhaps asking your OB's opinion will validate that decision for you.  For me, I made the decision to stop when I wasn't managing to pump 50% of what DD needed in a day; It was a mathematical equation that gave me permission to stop without putting any pressure to make the decision on myself. 

In terms of the baby blues: 2-3 weeks is the time baby blues are at their height, so don't be afraid of the hormones or of tears at this point!  This is very normal.  Your OB should give you a PPD screen at your 6 week visit, but if you're concerned, you should voice that to him/her at your visit this week.  Best thing to do for blues and/or PPD is acknowledge that you're feeling off, and then move from there.  Almost all women have baby blues, and about 20-25% have some sort of PPD, so definitely listen to yourself and ask your husband/mom/others close to you to keep an eye out for symptoms too. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Oh, and here's a resource for screening tools, symptoms, and support:  http://postpartum.net/

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from c1. Show c1's posts

hi there.  I can vividly remember how hard it was to start, and keep, pumping.  we have now two yr old twins, born a little early so in the hospital we did the syringe "they can't latch yet" contraption  I still laugh that they sent me home with that and thought it would work to keep me breastfeeding.  then one had terrible reflux so had to eat sitting and one just got lazy, he liked the bottle - it was clearly easier for him.  oh well,  having a relationship with an electric pump and snuggling the plastic was not what I had planned but we managed for a bit over a year. 

some learnings, if you haven't tried these and think you can stand trying anything else.  fenugreek tabs, 3 pills 3 times a day recommended by lactation consultant after we came home.  I got it at Whole Foods, not sure where else would carry.  Reglan prescribed by your MD, bumps up your milk supply - I think it was about 2 or 3 week course?  make sure you are eating and drinking enough yourself - I would notice that if I got busy and missed a meal, my supply would plummet at the next pump.  Pump as often as the baby is eating - at the beginning for me, that was every 3 hours even at night - as their feedings slowly got larger and less often, I started cutting out pump sessions, first the night ones!  I almost always pumped longer than the recommended twenty minutes - I did about 45 mins as often as I could also to help me get rid of those night pumps.  And absolutely an electric hospital grade pump, makes a huge difference. 

good luck, I remember thinking daily that if I could just "get through today" I will have done it long enough and can stop, they will be fine.  and then I'd get a few hours of sleep, and somehow start again the next day. 

Not sure how old you are, but as we were starting our journey I heard from my mother that "in her day" "nobody" breast fed so why was I.  well, she had a bit of a point, we all did fine, didn't we?  your baby will do ok either way.  there are great reasons to breast feed, but not at the expense of you!  take care of yourself ~

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Also, we unfortunately ALL understand that nervous feeling that we're being judged as mothers.  Believe me, it doesn't end with the breastfeeding/not breastfeeding issue.  There's always some "helpful" person who is ready to let you know that you're abusing your baby by not putting enough clothes on her, putting too many clothes on her, giving her a pacifier, not giving her a pacifier, letting her CIO, not sleep training, etc. 

The truth is, most of the time people aren't judging you when you think they are.  But if they are, just remember that they're ignorant jerks who don't know your baby the way you do and even if they do know something about kids they are rude for judging you.  You're allowed to ask old ladies calmly "I'm sorry.  I don't remember you pushing this baby out."

Like everyone said, do what you need to do to be happy and healthy and whole and you'll be the best mom your kid could ask for!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mo41083. Show Mo41083's posts

Just a quick update...thanks again for all the suggestions. I had my appointment yesterday and had a really long talk with the OB about my feelings on the delivery, breast feeding, pumping, DD herself and DH and we decided that it's probably best for me to be evaluated by someone so I scheduled that for next week and that I should try to stop pumping so I only pumped twice yesterday and haven't at all today. DD is doing fine and I've only gotten weepy once or twice today about it. Now that it's already almost 6 I can't figure out how I was fitting in so many pumping sessions before, I still feel like today was packed and I didn't get to shower until almost 11.

Thank you again for all the suggestions. I've found this thread to be so helpful and I'm looking forward to joining everyone on the monthly infant and toddler threads.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mo, taking that step and scheduling the next one is huge - I remember "needing help" badly and being so overwhelmed and scared by the very thought of getting it.  You've got half the battle behind you - great job!  And, hugs. :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Good for you, Mo!  It must feel great to have that decision made, and kudos to your OB for not pushing you to keep going.  Now you can re-focus all that time into healing yourself, and loving on your little one.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kat-95-56-00. Show Kat-95-56-00's posts

In response to Mo41083's comment:

Hi ladies, I've been lurking for a while on these boards since my days on the wedding and pet boards over the last few years and althouh I didn't post I really enjoyed everyone's advice, support, and opinions on all things baby while I as pregnant. DH and I welcomed a very healthy 9 lb. 4 oz. baby girl on the 2nd of January in the late afternoon and I have a question for all you seasoned mamas. Our start of breastfeeding was not what I expected it to be because of me having a 4th degree tear and DD being on the bigger side. We were encouraged by the nurses to start supplementing with formula from the very beginning and I needed so much work right after delivery to patch me back up little time was spent in the first few hours of DD's life to get us up to speed on breast feeding. Now almost two weeks later, lots of tears, a tongue tie, and three trips to the lactation consultant later we're settling into a routine of just pumped milk supplemented by formula from a bottle. I don't remember seeing much on this board from moms who exclusively pump but I'm interested in hearing from any of you that are. My milk supply is very low, only about 12 oz. a day from 10 to 12, 15 minute sessions. DD needs about 3 oz. per feeding so she's only getting about a 1/3 of what she needs from me and I'd love some tips about how to pump more for her, I know that pumping can never be as effective as the baby. I've read a lot about different herbal products to take and the lactation consultant I saw recommended Go Lacta but I have a lot of bad food/drug allergies so I'm worried about taking something that isn't approved by the FDA. The company that makes it hasn't gotten back to me after I emailed them asking for more information. Any suggestions that you have would be great. Thanks!

Hi I am new to this blog stuff but I was a vetran breastfeeder. My last child came home a bottle baby, and at first I thought it was great... but she did not FEEL like she was mine. There are some naughty nursing tricks to get a baby to "latch" on. 1st remember milk will not make milk! Only water will make milk! If your milk will not let down have a good beer.

Nurse for as long as you can I promise you will never regret it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

In response to Kat-95-56-00's comment:

Hi I am new to this blog stuff but I was a vetran breastfeeder. My last child came home a bottle baby, and at first I thought it was great... but she did not FEEL like she was mine. There are some naughty nursing tricks to get a baby to "latch" on. 1st remember milk will not make milk! Only water will make milk! If your milk will not let down have a good beer.

Nurse for as long as you can I promise you will never regret it.

This post made my blood boil, not sure what the intention was but considering the OP's circumstances this was less than helpful.  I think we've all articulated that breastfeeding isn't for everyone.  I didn't breastfeed my son but he certainly FEELS like my child.  Mo, please disregard the above comment, you're doing what's best for your DD and that's all anyone can ask.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Dear Kat - back off. Some of us really try to nurse and we can't, or the baby can't. I just doesn't work out. Comments like yours don't help one little bit. The pro-nursing community heaps enough guilt upon us - intentional or not. What we moms who use bottles need is support and understanding, not "a good beer".

I felt bad enough about turning in my pump after 8 weeks. All I could think of was "mother's milk is best" over and over in my head. But I simply couldn't do it anymore and have any kind of normal life with my husband and infant twins.

"Nurse for as long as you can. I promise you won't regret it." The whole point is that the OP isn't able to nurse. She's pumping. If you were lucky enough to be successful good for you. Please don't rub it in the OP's face.

BTW -Your husband didn't nurse your children - do they feel like "HIS"?

What a load of cr*p.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

practically no child of my generation was breast fed, and I'm certain we all felt like our parents' children.

wow.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mo41083. Show Mo41083's posts

Wow Kat, I hope your daughter doesn't read that post. I would feel awful to find out that my mother didn't feel like I was hers.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks again for all the support. I think I'm out of the woods emotionally. Met with the therapist this week and we think it's all just a bad case of the baby blues related to the breastfeeding/pumping struggles as things have been 100% better this week. I feel like a weight is lifted off of me and we've been venturing out a bit more this week and that really seems to help. It's so much easier for me to throw some formula and bottles in the diaper bag and head out for shopping/visiting/etc. without stressing about getting back in time to pump or mixing the formula and breastmilk somewhere.

DD has her 1 month check-up on Monday and I'm really looking forward to seeing how much she weighs. She's already outgrown a couple 0-3 month outfits and seems to be doing great.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Mo - that's really wonderful news! Good for you!!! :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mo, thanks for the update and thrilling news.  Your lo is well loved, well nourished, and has a healthy mom...totally ideal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Hurrah to Mo and baby Mo!  Can't wait to find out how big she's gotten.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mo41083. Show Mo41083's posts

Thanks Ladies! The pedi appointment went great. She's up to 10 lbs. 2 oz. (up from 9 lbs. 4 oz. at birth) and according to their measurments she grew two inches!! I think that might be the reason that some of her 0-3 month sleepers are too short now.

Sections
Shortcuts