Exercising

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Exercising

Hi Ladies - Looking for some help or motivation

DS is 6 months old and I feel like I should really be exercising.  I have 10 pounds to lose and its feeling overwhelming and I am feeling bad about myself.  I'm wondering what people do for exercise and where they fit it into their day.  I am up before 5am so getting up earlier is not really an option.  Then DH gets home at 7, we eat at 7:30 and I am zonked.  I know if I exercised I'd have more energy which would be an added bonus.  When I had DD I went for lots of walks but its not as much as an exercise now but more an activity.  DD wants to walk her baby (which is adorable) and we move at a snail pace.  If I do put her in the carriage she is only good for a short period.

So anyone have any good tips, videos, etc? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Re: Exercising

I'll be in your position soon...so I am looking forward to the responses.

We have a treadmill in our basement and we've set it up with a DVR and DVD player. That way, when all my brain can handle is "Real Houswives" or DH is totally sick of my watching HGTV, it's a little extra push to go downstairs and get on the teadmill so I can indulge in a little selfish me TV time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

ugh i hear you.. i'm still 13 lbs up and am trying!  DS is 7 months.  I did sign up for a 10 week bootcamp session which meets saturday mornings at 7am.. i figure my DH can stay with him for one hour (actually 1 hour and 15 mins by the time i leave and get back) especially since he wakes anwhere between 7 and 7:30 so it's really just getting him up, giving him a bottle, and playing and then usually breakfast by the time i walk in the door.  i'm hoping this gives me the extra boost i really need.  I'm also walking at lunch with a couple girls at work here once or twice a week... and i'm hitting the gym at least once a week at lunch for 45 mins.  can you do anything at lunch while at work?  i bring my lunch and eat it at my desk so i can use 40 mins to work out and then eat.. the last two weeks i did get out one night after work for a run too - on the day DH picks him up from daycare.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

My PCP keeps telling me that, "chasing twins all day is not the same as getting some real exercise."  I have no idea when I'm supposed to get this exercise without collapsing myself.  I do have a treadmill and TV/DVR set up in the basement too.  But I can't bring myself to go down during naptime (my only break in a 14 hour day) and use it.
    I agree that finding some time on weekends when your DH can watch the kids is a good idea. And when I did work, I often went to the gym for a quick workout at lunch.  If there is somewhere close, it's a great option.
    Good luck!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

I do try and walk during lunch but its also my time to run errands, right now I only work 3 days.  Maybe I will give myself 1 day to do errands and the other days I need to walk.  I'm going to try the Body by Bettheny DVD tonight (at 8:30 - ugh) and see if its any good.  I'll let you guys know if its worthwhile.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

I run with my kids in the double jogging stroller.  That gets me out.  Other than that I run in the early AM (5:00 a.m.) or sometimes after I drop DD off at daycare (DS gets dropped off by DH) at 7:30 a.m. before I go to work.  Sometimes I run during lunch, and sometimes I try to leave work early so I can run at home.  I have such flexibility though that most people don't have.  I work pretty much what I want and when I want, so maybe that doesn't help you at all. 

However, I did really like the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred videos.  They're 20 minutes and it's a pretty good workout!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Instead of a stroller, how about a jogger so you can really rev up the pace?  Maybe they'd be happier to be riding if you were going a lot faster and things were whizzing by at an interesting pace.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Things that have worked for me:

1) it's an indulgence, but I hired a trainer at the gym.  She created a couple of at-home workouts for me that I can do on my own, and don't require a gym or even weights. 

2) enlisting a work-out buddy.  I could workout in the mornings were I just to get out of bed, so I've had good luck arranging to meet a friend for a run, or even just alternating phone "wake-up" calls for some accountability. 

3) Change into workout clothes before you leave work.  I'm a lot more likely to take DD for a long walk if I'm already geared up and ready to go. 

4) have a Plan B -- if I don't get up, I can work out at lunch; if that doesn't happen, I'll take DD for a walk after work; if THAT doesn't happen, then I can do my yoga DVD ... that kind of thing. 

5) Sign up for a race or something to scare you into exercising. 

6) Enlist DH.  Mine wants to work out, too, so our game plan is to alternate mornings -- we both get up disgustingly early, then one stays home and does house stuff while the other goes for a run.  This rarely happens b/c we talk each other out of it.  We s*ck. 

Having said that, it's been a week since I did a formal work-out, so take my advice with a grain of salt.  But these are all things that have worked for me in the past. 

We could start an on-line check-in group here, like the regular pregnancy, TTC & Infants and Toddlers thread.  I'll start: tonight, come what may, I'm taking DD on a long walk, then tomorrow I'm going to work-out at lunch here at my office. 

Go, girls; go. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

KT- I am struggling with the same thing. however, this weekend, we were in a hilly place, and I found that DS no longer wanted to walk it, it was too hard. maybe (this sounds mean) but do your walking in terrain that makes it harder for DD to want to walk?  like hills? or make sure she isn't wearing shoes?  I find if I try to exercise at home, it doesn't really happen... I pull a GC#6.

off topic: GC- you are hysterical. I didn't want to feed the trolls, so I didn't comment on the BFing discussion, but you crack me up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I'm basically spoonfeeding those trolls, but I can't stop myself.  It's got me riled.  I'm personally taking that thread to 100 posts. 

THAT'S my workout for today! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I get my exercise through vigorous finger-wagging at breastfeeding mothers.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Curious for the runners... which I sorta, kinda got into before I was PG.  What do you do now that it is getting darker and darker?  Like KT, I wake up at 5am to start my morning routine, and because we need to be out of the house at 6am... doesn't leave much time for a workout.  And getting up at 4:30am would be pitch black.  And now I'm starting to see that opposite side too.. coming home and within a very short time, it will be pitch dark too.  I think I'd use a treadmill/eliptical if we had one, but I'm struggling to justify the expense.

Oh, and that BF post... good lord!!!!  I forget who asked, I think it was you GC, but why do people that hate children read the Mom's board????

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

So I had the best of intentions but did not do my video last night.  I made myself a schedule I am going to do my best to stick to - Tues, Thurs, Sun, I need to do a video or go for a power walk.  From there maybe I will up it.  DH and I and decided we'd try a 5k (or I'd be happy with a 1mile run) next fall or this coming spring.  I am not really a runner but I'm up for the challenge.  I'm going to do some research on where/how to begin. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Um, can I just say I'm totally envious that you *only* have 10lbs to go! DD is 5 1/2 months and I'm still 20lbs at least over my pre-pg weight.

That said, it is so hard to find energy, let alone time, to really exercise. I have worked out a plan with DH so that Mondays and Wednesdays I get to go to the gym at 6:00. I am doing at least 20 minutes of cardio followed by a 60-minute power yoga class. He is not allowed to make plans for either of those weeknights, he has Tuesday nights if he wants to play poker, and Friday nights for golf. Then on Sunday mornings, I am doing another yoga class. We started this last week and it went great and I felt great. It gives him some quality time with DD where he actually has to feed her, bathe her, and put her to bed. I feel a little tinge of guilt for NOT being around for those things after having been at work all day...but I have to have this time for myself, and he has to have thsi time with her, so I think it is best for everyone.

I've also been doing WW online for the past month, and it is working for sure. I think I have lost almost 8lbs so far. Still a long way to go for me, but at least I have a start.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

I am going to start WW next week...after an indulgent night out with girlfriends this weekend...oops.  I found a new center right near my office so that works out well.  I have done WW in the past and it works, I just have to get my mindset there.

I had to buy a new pair of work pants yesterday...they are elastic waist...Its a new low.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

I'm still wearing maternity pants. :-) Not every day, but lots of days. Today is one of them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Hi - if you have On Demand there are lots of exercise shows available, and lots of them are short (10, 20 minutes).  I can't say from experience how they are, but I have friends who love them...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

I second the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. Before I got pg, I still found it hard to find time to work out, and this was my saving grace. I was skeptical of such short workouts (20 minutes), but it's seriously vigorous, yet short enough that it's hard to talk myself out of doing it. If DH gets home at 7, can he fix dinner while you work out? Hopefully he's a little more adept at that task than my DH, who was going to make dinner while I did a 45 minute workout yesterday...I came into the kitchen at the end and he'd managed to cut up a block of tofu -- that's it. I fixed the rest of dinner in 15 minutes :-).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

My brother and nieces highly recommend beachbody.com for great workouts - some of which are pretty short I think (like 20 minutes).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Epic work-out fail on my end: got home late so the walk didn't materialize, and I have my gym bag today, but no BADGE to get into the gym upstairs.  Grrrr ... I did just assign DH the task of finding me a used jogging stroller on-line (he hearts Craig's List) and am recruiting local mom friends to be running buddies.  So far, no takers on the early a.m. time slot. 

As for the dark -- it seriously blows.  But I have reflective gear and I find that it lightens up pretty quickly while I'm out.  I prefer running in morning dark than evening dark -- I believe it's safer.  But I don't have to leave my house until 8am, so I can get up at 5am, workout, and still have time for my morning routine.  I am also not above driving to a better running route if it's safer, and there's a track near my house. 

I am truly pathetic.  I could work out morning, noon and night, I have a gym at work, a gym by the house, a TRACK outside my door, and multiple fairly-safe running trails.  What the &%^ is my problem?!?!?!?!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I have a Women's Health workout DVD (which I haven't used in months and I don't have any children so what's my excuse?) that allows you to build your own workout from various segments (abs, cardio, arms, legs).  This allows you to customize the workout to fit in your schedule.  Some of the segments are as short as 10 minutes so you can make it work with any time slot.  I bought mine on Amazon for $15.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

So I haven't figured out what the post-baby workout plan is going to be (I'm due in January).  My tentative plan is Silver's suggestion... 2 nights per week where DH is responsible for our LO.  However, I can say from past weight-loosing experiences that things like Yoga/Pilates just don't do it for me (I like class, I just don't loose weight from those activities).  And I hate running.  And I hate step class.  And I hate treadmills.  And I hate ellipticals.  So yeah... it took me many years to figure out something that worked for me.

Then.. I found cardio kickboxing.  :o)  It is high-energy, can be done in a group setting (my preference) or at home (P90X has a really good kempo CD, there are lots of DVDs on netflix, and after a while you can create your own routines).  Instead of spending several hundred dollars (or more) on a treadmill or elliptical, I bought a standing boxing bag (base is filled with water).  I have a space in my basement that is 10'x10' and that is plenty.  Between class (I found a really good program at a local karate school) and my home "gym" I can usually get 3 workouts in most weeks.  You get the same benefit of running if the workout is done properly.  The whole reason why running burns more calories than walking is that you are using your whole body to haul all of your weight into the air instead of always having one leg or the other supporting your weight.  Cardio Kickboxing can accomplish this same thing.  I find it is easier for me to "get into" the workout when I can pretend I'm beating someone up, can concentrate on my form rather than the number of minutes that have passed, and when the motions are being changed up instead of being monotonous. 

Also, remember weight loss is all a numbers game.  You can rarely accomplish meaningful weight loss without also fixing your diet.  You have to burn more calories than you consumed.  Take your basal metabolic rate (lots of websites around can help you estimate).  I usually choose 1500 cals/day because I have a desk job.  Those are your free "burned calories" that you get from just breathing and standing.  Add to that any exercise.  I estimate 300 calories for an hour of pilates/yoga/weight lifting, and 500 calories for an hour of more vigorous exercise.  These are probably underestimates, but make up for the fact that we often under estimate how much food we are consuming.  You then need to consume fewer calories than your combined total that you burn.  To loose 1 lb/week = 500 calorie deficit per day (3500 cals = 1 lb, 7 days per week = /> need to burn an extra 500 per day).  It is depressing.  I know.  Really depressing.  Bright side - as you build more muscle your basal metabolic rate will increase ... but still depressing.  I use an iPod app called "Lose It!" to track. 

Try different class/DVDs/etc until you find something that you like. 
    Aim for high energy workouts.  Aim for no less than 3 days per week.  (one day/week is generally pretty useless, at least add in walking during the week)  Keep track of calories (even one week of journaling can do wonders for "teaching" you what 1500 cals feels like).  I lost a lot of weight following these general principles (like 30 pounds in one summer/fall).  It is my plan for post-baby ... we'll see how it goes.

Best of luck everyone! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

If you are planning to run when it is dark, I would seriously recommend getting bike lights for the stroller - people may spot you, the runner, but not the fact that you got a stroller. When I go out in the dark here, I find the people easiest to spot on the road/trails are ones with bike lights/flashlights (reflective gear won't be spotted fast enough on our roads). I have a jogging stroller and we have a greenbelt trail that I can loop, so I plan to hook up lights to the stroller when it gets dark enough that it is dark by the time we hit the trail.

We have a few workout machines at home (right by the kitchen). When DS was really little, the noise of the machines would lull him to sleep, and now that he is bigger, we take turns watching DS and working out - morning when both of us are at home, we do short 30 minute workouts, and once a week, DH goes to his swim group in the morning and 1-2 times a week, he stays home while I go to the boathouse for practice.

When DS was 3 months old, I got into working out whenever I could so I could get the meters for an indoor rowing challenge (which meant sometimes at 4AM when I was awake and other times at night). See if there is like an online challenge for time or distance that you could join. Concept2 has tons of those for indoor rowing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Well...I pulled the wagon while apple picking yesterday which was full or apples, pumpkins and DD.  While she was not in the wagon I had her on my shoulders a lot so I'm counting all this as exercise.  That's the only exercise I've had since posting.

I decided that realistically there is no way that I am working out at 8:30pm (after dinner, bedtime, etc) and I'm not getting up any earlier.  I am in the process of making some daycare changes (not for exercise reasons) and they have made it easier to get some exercise in.  I have a gym very close to my house that I pass on my way home.  I'm going to stop 2 days a week and exercise for 30mins and still be able to (rush) to pick the kids up by 5pm.  Then one day over the weekend I will go and maybe take a class or something.  I have it set up so its not enough time to go home and relax instead, hopefully this works!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

exercise? what's that?

Sections
Shortcuts