family daycares

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

family daycares

I've been looking for a licensed family daycare for my LO to begin in the fall (late Oct/early Nov).  As of now, I've relied mostly on tips from neighbors and craigslist.  I was wondering what other resources people have used.  If anyone has any suggestions of any daycares south of Boston, that would be helpful as well.  I'm primarily focusing on the Milton, Hingham, Weymouth area.  Thanks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Re: family daycares

I found a great family daycare in Quincy using the list available online from the department of early childhood education (link on Boston.com Moms home page, bottom right hand corner). It took a lot of calling to all the places on the list, though, so be prepared to spend some time searching.
    If Quincy is not too far for you, I can give you the number of the daycare I use. I'm not sure if they have any infant openings right now, though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

I agree with the previous poster - with the Mass State list, you can see the lic. info for the provider, you get all the contact info and find out what the provider limits are (number of kids per age group).  That helped me as then I could start calling and in my conversations I had some info to double check.  We lucked out that our daycare provider is right in our neighborhood, we have lots of neighbors who know her and saw her with the kids and that she was attentive and caring, etc.  Definitely go to visit the site, have long talks with the provider.  I wasn't sure about family daycare vs. a center and we thought that we'd try it out and see - both of us are very pleased and my daughter is doing so well and loves it there.  Now we have our fingers crossed that #2 gets in - her limit is 2 infants and 3 moms are due within 2 months!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Thanks!  I've found that list before and has hoping that I could somehow narrow it down other than cold calling ;-) 

Amy-Lynn-Quincy may not be too far since I live in Dorchester.  Is it close to the T?  My husband and I are trying to share the responsibility (if daycare is close to home rather than where I work).  He will do the drop-off and I will pick up.  However, he needs something T accessible with parking so he can easily get to work.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Will he be driving to drop off and need to park at a T station? or relying entirely on the T?
    It is close to Quincy Center (and probably not too far from Wollaston) if driving, and the 245 bus goes within a block or 2. But I wouldn't exactly call it public transit convienient, if you are entirely relying on the T.
    Works great with a car - My DH drops me at the T, drops DD off, then drives to work. He then picks her up, then me, then we go home (we are a one car family if you hadn't guessed).
    Since it is a family daycare, there is on street parking for drop-off and pick-up. We've never had a problem with finding space on the street.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

He'll be driving to the T and will need to park at a station.  Also, what are the hours? We both have early hours and need something with a 7:30 start at the latest (7 is preferable). 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Ours starts at 8, :-(
    But look on the list (I think you get it by zip codes) and start calling.
    I'm sure you'll find something!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsBride. Show BsBride's posts

I also use a family daycare in Quincy, close to the center, probably less than one mile to Quincy Center T. I think their drop offs start at 7 or 7:30am. I drop off a bit past 8 and I'm usually the last one there! My baby started there June 14th, but originally they weren't going to have a spot until September (family with baby ended up moving opening a new spot for me) So they may still anticipate having a spot open in the fall. If you want their info, let me know

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KateOA. Show KateOA's posts

Hi I'm new to Bomoms and looking for help finding childcare. I'm due with my first in January 2011 and am having a hard time finding childcare in the South Boston/Boston area with out a 1 to 1 1/2 year waiting list. I'm open to family or center based as long as I feel comfortable with the providor.

Does anyone have reccomendations?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from happy2bpg. Show happy2bpg's posts

Hi!

I am also looking for family daycare for the fall.   I used the mass.gov site that someone recommended above.  What's great about it is that you can just type in how close/far from your home, work, T, etc.  you'd like your search to be.  So I  made a list of all the daycares within 2 miles of my house.   I was surprised at how many there are!   I wrote them all down and just started calling.