February - Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

February - Infants and Toddlers

February!  How is everyone doing?
    Poppy, to follow up on the January thread, I liked Kar's wording of phrasing it as *starting* a tradition.  Takes the emphasis off of past hurts and puts it on what you'd like to do next.

We are doing well.  18 months old!  Still no walking, but so adept at standing up and down now, as well as cruising.  We went to the orthopedist last week and she said there are no structural concerns whatsoever and she doesn't see any reason to worry as long as she continues to make progress.  She said the most likely scenario is that she'll grow into an adult with normal gross motor skills and we'll never really know why they were slow to develop.
    So that was good news.  Although sometimes I would like to have a technical term to say back to all the people who make me feel bad by saying, "OH, she's not walking???  Lazy baby!" or try to entice her to walk or do other things she's not ready for.  I know they don't mean anything by it, but it's still painful.
    On a more fun front, she has started asking to hear itsy bitsy spider by moving her fingers and then doing some of the arm motions along with it.  Sooooo sweet!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: February - Infants and Toddlers

Medford - Have people actually called her lazy??  Argh!!  They are probably trying to be cute with the baby, but that is awful.  People need to choose their words better!  A co-worker called DD porky and said she gets it from my husband.  a) My daughter is not porky.  b) My husband is also not porky.  DD isn't a skinny minny, but she most certainly is not porky.  This is why girls end up with low self esteem.  So rude!!

A follow up from the January thread - we only have a padded ottoman instead of a coffee table and I am so glad!!  DH actually got me a nice coffee table for Christmas one year... and I started crying because I had asked for an ottoman and he went out and spent 3 times as much on a huge monstrosity of a table.  (There are other factors that led to crying; I swear I'm not a diva!)  Needless to say, we returned it and now I am even more glad I got my ottoman!  :o)

DD's birthday is this month - crazy!  (Thanks for the shout out LLL!)  At her 9 month appt she was a little over 20 lbs, but she seems to have plateaued for now and is maybe up to 21.  The pedi was a tiny bit concerned about her weight gain, so I'm relieved.  She's had a cold since Sunday, so she's been up at night.  I am exhausted!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Hi everyone - Sorry I've been out of the loop.  I have tried to keep up on reading the posts, but haven't had a chance to chime in. 

We had our 2 month visit yesterday, and DD got 2 shots, which actually contained several more vaccines.  She was super fussy yesterday, and we gave her 2 doses of infant tylenol in the early afternoon and evening.  She slept for 7 hours(!!!) last night, and then took another 4 hour snooze.  Is this normal after shots and/or meds?  This is the first time giving her tylenol.  She didn't seem this sleepy/fussy after her Hep B shot at 1 month. 

Also, we are attempting to introduce a bottle, and it is not going well.  We started trying it this last weekend with defrosted BM, and I don't think she ever latched on to the bottle.  She may have gotten a little BM, but just from what dripped into her mouth.  She does not use a pacifier, and so far pushes away the bottle nipples.  We have tried three different brands so far.  I have left the room while DH tries, but we haven't tried me leaving the house yet.  She just spits it out and then cries for the 5-10 minutes we give it, and then I end up BF'ing. I tried giving her fresh pumped milk on Monday, but she refused that as well.  People have told us to adjust the milk temp, but I'm not sure if its the milk that's the problem - I think it's the nipple.  I've tried warming the nipple and wetting it with milk, but she just doesn't seem to like silicone in her mouth.  I did find that if she is in a good mood, she will sort of play with the nipple in her mouth - sort of gum at it.  But she has not yet truly sucked on a bottle. 

We took a break yesterday, since she seemed too traumatized by the shots.  My MIL is coming by tonight, so maybe we'll see if DD will take a bottle from her.  I think we will just try for a few minutes a day, and hope that it catches on at some point. 

I know some of you had troubles with transitioning to a bottle.  How long did it take for you, and how often did you try it?  I know many of you said to do it around 4 weeks, but our pedi recommended closer to 7-8 weeks, and I wasn't in any rush.  But now I wonder if we should have tried it sooner. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Fram, my sympathies on the tiredness.  We were up last night, too, although mostly doing okay on that front.
    Yes, at least one person has said lazy.  I know they're trying to be funny/cute, but still annoying.  I could actually brush that off more easily, though, because I know it's just a thoughtless person.  I'm more irritated when extended family members try to set up enticements to stand or walk, like holding a phone up high.  They're not really close enough to the situation (and it's not their role) to provide real motivation or support in her learning, so it just seems plain mean to me.  It makes me feel like they don't see all the awesome stuff she CAN do, and it hurts my feelings.
    Rant over!  And, yeah, no one should be calling anyone porky!!  That's crazy!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

In Response to Re: February - Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone - Sorry I've been out of the loop.  I have tried to keep up on reading the posts, but haven't had a chance to chime in.  We had our 2 month visit yesterday, and DD got 2 shots, which actually contained several more vaccines.  She was super fussy yesterday, and we gave her 2 doses of infant tylenol in the early afternoon and evening.  She slept for 7 hours(!!!) last night, and then took another 4 hour snooze.  Is this normal after shots and/or meds?  This is the first time giving her tylenol.  She didn't seem this sleepy/fussy after her Hep B shot at 1 month.  Posted by jennifyr78[/QUOTE]

I can't speak to the bottle issue, but YES on the normal post-shots.  I remember calling the nurse in a panic after her 2-month appointment: YOU SAID SHE'D BE A LITTLE FUSSY BUT SHE'S NOT A LITTLE FUSSY SHE'S POSESSED BY A DEMON!!!!!!!  Then I freaked out about the Tylenol "coma."  Totally normal (her reaction, not mine).  Vaccines are rough on their little systems. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

jennifyr, I feel for you.  We had the same bottle troubles.
    We tried all kinds of bottles.  Tommee tippee she seemed to like best, but it really was the milk temperature that helped in the end.  She liked it really, really warm.  (Once it was going well, we could mix up bottle types and relax about the temperature and it was still okay.)
    There are non-silicone nipples out there -- playtex brand, maybe?  But we never got to that point.  I think they are latex and unpopular due to potential allergies.  (Or I maybe made this up.)
    Hang in there; it stinks but hopefully it won't be more than a week or two.  And once she takes it once, try to keep it up with one bottle a day for a bit so she stays in the habit.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I actually have a sister with what I would call disordered eating who insists on calling DD "chubby."  Or, insisted, b/c I told her that if I heard it again she'd better take a good mental picture of DD, b/c it would be the last time they'd be seeing each other.  There is no room in the GC Household for that sort of foolishness. 

We're too busy mucking her up on our own, thank you very much. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlmostHere08. Show AlmostHere08's posts

Twin04 here. No idea what happened with my other account. Anyway...

Medford - It's crazy how people want your children to do things so badly. DD will walk when she is ready!!! I can't believe people have called her lazy. She's trying and that's all that matters.

Fram - I can't believe DD is going to be 1 this month. I feel like I was just reading about her birth last week!!! Don't a lot of babies start evening out in weight when they start to crawl/walk? I can commiserate on the tiredness. DD will be 5 months on Monday and had a cold last week. She still doesn't sleep more than 3-4 hours at a time and the cold she had dropped that to 2-3 hours, mostly on the 2 hour end. Hope she feels better soon.

Jennifyr - That's great you only had 2 shots at your appt. DD had 3 and a drink at her 2 month. I think that is very normal to be sleepy after shots/tylenol. A low fever is pretty normal too. What type of nipples/bottles have you tried? Are you using stage 1 nipples? DD took to the Advent ones really well. When we first started with the bottle I just pumped an ounce and had DH give it to her. I would have your MIL give her a bottle and see how she does with it. Don't stress yet!!!

AFM - DD rolled over from back to belly on Saturday. She'll be 5 months old Monday. I cried. I know, silly, but I just can't believe how fast she is growing. I think she's going to be an early crawler too. She keeps pulling her knees up and tries to pull herself along with a blanket. I'm not ready for it!!!!! Also had to make a trip to the Pedi Sunday for conjunctivitis. That has been a ton of fun trying to put cream in her eye. DD still isn't sleeping through the night (going more than 3 hours without waking to eat) so getting up for the day has been challenging. I am looking forward to the weekend!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Med-it's a little bit of a blessing to have a late walker-think about it she'll be better at listening and walking with you when she finally starts. But I get your stress over the issue. your LO is on her own schedule.

I've warned my mother and sister that all negavtive body image talk is not permitted! Since having DD who absolute perfection no matter when she hits milestone or what her body type. I'm really trying to relook how I frame observations about people and myself. It's hard though. But when I think about how DD and DS think I'm absolutely perfect just the way I am makes me realize I am.

I have one co-worker who comments on how chunky DD is. All I can do to prevent myself from lunging at him to gouge his eyes out for trying to give my daughter a complex already is to say "she's perfect." (especially since she's in the 50% for weight at 4 mo!)

Looks like DD is getting sick again, we are off antibiotics a total of 4 days now and she's coughing again. trying not to run to the doctors again, but thats all I really want to do. I'm ready for cold season to be over!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Jennifyr, my DS was the same way about bottles.  He had to be really hungry and not even know I'm home in order to take the bottle.  If he knew I was in the house, he'd cry until I fed him!  It took a lot of perseverance on DH's part, but he eventually took a regular silicone nipple. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

[QUOTE]YOU SAID SHE'D BE A LITTLE FUSSY BUT SHE'S NOT A LITTLE FUSSY SHE'S POSESSED BY A DEMON!!!!!!!
    Posted by GC1016[/QUOTE]

LOL, GC!  Yes, that's what we were feeling last night.  Then after we gave her more tylenol and she went to bed, I kept expecting her to wake up.  Then we headed to bed, and I told DH "I'll bet she wakes up just as I'm drifting off".  But no - 7 hours and 15 minutes of sleep before she woke up at 2:45 am.  Wow.  Then I figured she'd keep me up for hours, but she nursed and fell back asleep after about an hour and 15 minutes.  And slept for another 4:45!  She seems more normal now, after her marathon sleeping.  Poor babies - I'm sure it is traumatizing.

AlmostThere - we had a drink too, but she didn't seem to mind that.  Of course, who knows which meds do what?  They get so many at once.  I do appreciate that they combine them into only two shots, so she does not have to get 5 or 6 pokes. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Jennifyr - DD2 had bottle issues.  We ended up with Tommee Tippee and to this day she will still refuse anything else.  I would also recommend playing with the temperature.  My kids all liked it warm heading to hot.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Thanks everyone on the bottle help.  So far we have tried a similac bottle, a Medela and a Playtex (all stage 1 nipples).  All silicone, though the similac one was "harder" and less flexible, and she seemed to react worse to that one.  I will need to go out and buy a couple other brands.  I have heard good things about Tommy Tippies.  And a friend of mine is giving me her Avent bottles to try.  Her 6 mo only liked those in the beginning.  Born Free is another recommendation I've had.  Guess I need to go to the store. 

And it sounds like really warm is the way to go.  Since you're not supposed to microwave, do you just put the bottle in a really hot bowl of water?

As for the body image thing, I totally hear you. Not only do we not want people calling our little ones chunky (our nurse called DD a "butterball" at her appt yesterday, and she came in at the 43rd percentile), but I don't want people to only focus on her appearance, even if it's a positive comment.  I have been really conscious of how I talk to little girls ever since I read this article. Its amazing how difficult it is to not start conversations about how cute and adorable they are.  Not that it's bad to tell them that, but that's not the only value little girls have. 

This isn't so applicable to newborns, but I have been trying to put this into practice with my 2 month old.  I talk to her all the time, and I just want to squeeze her and tell her how pretty she is, but I make sure I also tell her how strong she is when she holds her head up, and how smart she is when she coos back at me, or how coordinated she is when she hits the rattle on the play mat.  I figure I should get in the habit with her now, so that when she actually understands what people are saying, and least her mom will be focusing on something other than clothes and hair and body shape.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

[QUOTE]There is no room in the GC Household for that sort of foolishness.  We're too busy mucking her up on our own, thank you very much. 
    Posted by GC1016[/QUOTE]

Good on you for telling her that!  And your last sentence was too funny! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Jennifyr - just a thought - as long as you are going to the store and buying everything in sight, maybe try getting stage 2 nipples so your daughter won't have to work as hard to get some milk?  I believe the stage 2 nipples allow for greater flow.  You will just have to watch to make sure she doesn't get too much, but obviously you will cross that bridge when you come to it.

Hang in there and keep experimenting! Also, if you live near an Isis, you could try going or calling there and asking for tips. They have seen lots of babies struggle with the bottle and probably have some good ideas.

FWIW, we had success with Avent bottles.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

[QUOTE]And it sounds like really warm is the way to go.  Since you're not supposed to microwave, do you just put the bottle in a really hot bowl of water?
    Posted by jennifyr78[/QUOTE]
    We used to microwave the bowl of water until it was starting to steam, and then put the bottle in that.  Obviously make sure it's not, like, super hot, but it was surprising how warm she liked it.  Our LC said your bre@sts get to about 100 F while nursing, so I guess that's the gold standard!  :)

And YES on the appearance comments/critiques/compliments.  We are already trying very hard to cool it on saying she's cute and I asked my mom to cut back as well.  It is a change, for sure.  I was in the grocery store the other day and the cashier was going crazy for the pretty girls with the family in front of me.  A very well-intentioned woman, but I was cringing and I could tell the parents were as well (although they were polite).  Made me realize how many times I have probably done the same thing myself before I started thinking about it!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

My twins were formula fed, but I would microwave the water in a big (20oz) plastic cup for about 2 minutes and then put the bottle in there.
    Up in the nursery I also had an aveda bottle warmer. Sounds like a silly expense but that thing could heat a bottle in about 3 minutes in the middle of the night. Very useful when feeding 2 kids at 2:00am.
    don't forget that mommys milk is about 100 degrees when it comes out of you - so your LO is going to like the bottle fairly warm.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Hi Jennifyr - we had such a hard time getting DD to take a bottle so I feel for you.  We tried so many different brands.  What she ended up liking best for awhile was the latex nipple.  We eventually changed back to the gerber nuk bottles with silicone and that is what she still drinks.  It took until daycare for her to really take it well.  She still doesn't take a bottle well for me at 7 months.  I hope your DD is not as stubborn!  She also has marathon sleep days after getting her shots, the dr said it is normal.  

DD started to crawl today!  Just a couple feet, though it is the first time she got herself to go forward.  She looked so cute up on her hands and knees and so proud of herself.  Have to get DH to get the gate on the stairs up this weekend!  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

congrats on the crawling Wed!  Such a big milestone.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Jennifyr,
    Other ideas to add to the above:
    1.  use a nursing shield to nurse her sometimes, to get her used to the "plastic/silicone" feel in her mouth
    2.  when you are nursing her, have a bottle ready and WARM (yes, we've had babies who liked it so warm it was nearly too warm) and just slip it in whlie she's happily nursing along and see if she'll keep it in.
    3.  just keep on trying
    4.  when giving her a bottle, walk her through the house, kind of quickly, so she is looking at lots of things and not focusing on the icky silicone in her mouth!
    5.  or try nursing her while you are watching tv so she is focusing on something else, again to forget about the bottle
    6.  just keep on trying
    7.  some babies can't handle the bottle when they are starving, they are so hungry they just get all worked up about the horror of the bottle.... whlie others need to be HUNGRY to take the bottle at the beginning
    8. and finally, just keep on trying! 

Laughing

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Perhaps you can say to those who get funny about your daughter not walking, or who DARE to say she's lazy?!?  that she is delayed in walking, we're working with a specialist, we know she'll walk soon. 

Now, perhaps not with someone that you are going to be in relationship with for a long time and yet aren't that personal with, but to the strangers in the mall?  Heck, yes, I'd get all personal and honest and stuff and give them a taste of it!  Because they really would get uncomfortable if you said something like that, and it would teach them right to be so freakin' nosy and rude!  And I would NOT say it in front of your daughter, only if you can get nosy nellie aside.  

Of course, what you REALLY can say is perhaps something like "Well, she's absolutely not lazy, don't you think she'd walk if she could?  Every child develops differently, we are helping her work on walking, but she's really talking quite a bit now.  It's amazing how children develop differently, isn't it?  (said with a sweet smile)

And....  a gentle reminder should be made to those relatives and friends who are trying to help her by lifting things just out of reach...  I'd tell them to stop it - that it's mean, you are working with a specialist who is supporting her physical development, and these types of things are not helpful. She will walk soon, with our support.  And then show them how they CAN help, even if that's just by accepting her skills.

Jeesh!  Of course, these were all the same people who touched your belly when you were pregnant, feeling you up in the mall!

I love how GC handled it with her sister "take a good mental picture of her now because you'll never see her again if you keep that up."  Oh, I LOVE IT! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

jennifyr- I agree with all of the tips already given. I really had to leave the house because I kept caving. I think that DS learned to just wait us out because it only took 5 minutes. The first time I "wasn't there" he did fine with the bottle because he figured out I wasn't coming (took a while- but he finished the whole thing).  Also, with the heating, we did the cup of warm water for the first 12 months. then i broke down and got a $20 bottle warmer. totally worth it. for 5-6 ounces, it is really warm in 2-3 minutes.  hysterically now, he will walk over to the warmer and hold a towel in that general direction indicating he wants one/is ready for bed. (DH uses a towel to get it out of the warmer)

medford- sorry that others don't really get child development. we run into a similar thing all the time with DS's speech delay- since he is still above the 95%ile for height and weight, he literally looks 3 and isn't talking. people give the stupidest advice (use an electric toothbrush), make the harshest comments (my mother said sign language was a stupid idea and we were preventing him from talking), and really encourage us to be mean to our child (withholding things until he tries to say the word).   like all of the extra work on supporting your child in that domain isn't enough.... you have to cope with people who have no idea about development.  I am glad that you and GC seem to rely upon your protective instinct and not internalize it all.

RE the question about shots/tylenol. DS does that in response to the tylenol- so I am sure that the shots just amplified the response to the pain killer.

and kudos to all of you about the girly comments.   I honestly think it was one of the reasons I was so relieved about having a boy- (what I perceive is easier for them-) self esteem and middle school. still waiting on gender of number 2...

AFM- DS has decided that he loves trucks and buses. it really helps during the commute, although I find myself changing lanes now so that he can see the pumper/trash/dump truck two lanes over. At his 18 month visit, the pediatrician said she wasn't very worried about his language, which felt a little weird given she had referred us to EI at 15 months. I am having a hard time with the speech therapy- she made DS cry the other day and wouldn't let me comfort him. given the pregnancy hormones, i was in tears myself. and I am clearly showing- like all kinds of pregnant- at 11 weeks! ack! but am still pretending in baggy sweaters, because I want to make it through the first trimester and screening before I tell everyone... but I guess we should tell our families soon.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

DD was formual fed.  She had a tough time with bottles, and we ultimetly ended up with born free.  DS uses those now because I had them and he does fine although, he also wants his bottles super warm on the verge of hot.  I am hoping I can begin to cool them down as he gets older. 

Well DS, 6 1/2 months was a super sleeper since 5 weeks old.  We moved last week and since then he has been horrible.  Not sure if it is the move, the cold he has or what but it is bordering on unbearable for DH and I.    He has never been a good napper either.  I am lucky if I can get a good nap once a day then it is just 3 or 4 cat naps.    I really need to sleep train him and get him on track so I need some suggestions on how to do that.  DD never had a sleeping issue and once she starated sleeping through the night she never turned back.    Do you think he should be having a  morning and afternoon nap every day at this age?  HELP, I need suggestions. DH and I are at eachothers throats in the middle of the night and we need some assistance.    The past two nights i have had to get up and feed him at 430am. 

Othe than that, DD just got through the stomach bug or whatever you want to call it. almost 3 days with a fever, and not eating.  She is finally back on track this morning and last night did eat a little bit.  This was tough.  DS hasa terrible cold to so that is just been a rough week for us in the Quad household.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Thanks, CT-DC.  :)  Yes, I do like the smiling statements to strangers.  It's definitely harder to think of how to gently deal with family members on the fly.
    Winter - I feel for you.  Is it the private speech therapist / is it in an office?  Our DD is much more willing to work with her EI person if I pretend I have to go do something important in another room.  But that's at home which makes it easier.
    Regarding sign language: I know this isn't "evidence", but the words that our DD is starting to say the most clearly are the ones she has signs for.  Maybe because we say them back to her so often when she signs them?  Either way, "more" and "all done" and "down" are the only things she really puts the ending consonants on!
    She loves trucks/buses, too!  T buses go past her daycare and we sometimes stand outside for a while because she screeches in excitement and waves like crazy!

Hang in there, quad.  That sounds tough.  I think our LO was still doing 3 naps at that age, but we are not a great gauge.  She also still ate during the night at that time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

There is evidence that signing does cause language pathways to be developed earlier because gross motor skills come before fine motor skills.  Sign language only requires gross motor skills while speech requires fine motor skills (of the mouth, specifically, of course).  So, the language center of the brain, responsible for conveying meaningful concepts to others, can develop with sign language for before the fine motor skills are developed enough for speech.  

When the fine motor skills catch up to the gross ones, the sign language is dropped naturally in favor of talking.  Of course, given that, it makes sense that the words they use the most as signs are often used first and most often when they have the fine motor skills to form those words with their mouths instead.

Sections
Shortcuts