February - Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: February - Infants and Toddlers

Thank you, med, I was sure that got lost in the shuffle, and I was totally hoping someone would laugh.  Laughing

I'd never have suspected anyone would have sounded an alarm for Winter's DS given her description of his progress at that age.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

In Response to Re: February - Infants and Toddlers:
    There are 3 different rooms and sometimes she even books 2 of them at the same time. 
    Posted by framerican51008

WHY?  That's so inconsiderate.  And6-8 times, even for one room, seems excessive.  I have not gone back to work yet, but I am nervous about getting enough breaks (and long enough breaks) to go pump.  We have 2 Mother's room in my building of 2500 people.  I have no idea how scheduling works, but the rooms are way over in the conference center across the building and down a floor, so if they are full when I get there, it could really wreak havoc on my day.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Jenn - If you have a LOA contact in HR, they may be able to tell you how to "sign up" for the mother's room at your work.  Luckily, that's how it worked for me.  Basically, now when I open up my Outlook calendar, I can see my work calendar as well as the calendar(s) for the mother's room.  At this point, I have one regular appointment set up every day, but I can also go in and add and remove as needed based on meetings, etc.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Wow, I've missed a lot! I wish I had more time to post. I am usually just scrolling through when I am feeding DS before bed and never have time to actually respond! 

Jenn- I agree with others that your milk supply will even out, I wouldn't bother pumping in the middle of the night because your body won't get the message that you don't need to produce milk during that time. Also how is the bottle feeding going, I had an AWFUL time trying to get DS to take a bottle and thought he would never take one before I started back to work, but we kept with it and he is great now.  I tried 2 X's a day for a while, I have other suggestions if you need them..

Fram- holy cow, can't believe your LO is going to be a year (and can't believe mine will be in a few months) make it stop!!!   It goes by so quickly. Also who the heck needs to pump 6-8 times a day, does this mom ever work?  I pump 2x's and i feel like it still takes away from my job!  

AFM- DS is 9 1/2 mon. He just cut his first 2 teeth and is gnawing on everything, including the crib.  He also leaves a path of destruction where ever he goes, I thought that didn't start till the toddler years!! If I didn't pick up a few times a day our house would be a disaster!   I am still on a restricted diet because of his allergies, so I am looking forward to the 1 year mark when I can eat real food again. They are supposed to out grow soy and dairy allergies at 1year, keep your fingers crossed!   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Wow a lot has been going on!! 

winter - sorry to hear what you are going through.  I don't have any advice but I am thinking of you and your DS.  Speech is one of those things that makes us crazy!  I know I worry all the time about it.

Fram - that would make me jump too!  I'm concerned about pumping at work when DD comes along because I won't be home as long as I was with DS.  I didn't get much when I pumped before but it was never consistent...only did it when I needed to be gone during a feeding which wasn't every day.  Is it better for your body to consistently pump?  When did people start pumping to prepare to return for work?  There is no way I could pump 6-8x a day...how would you get any work done?

Ajuly I can't believe your DS is already 9 1/2 months...it really does seem like yesterday that baby fram and baby ajuly were born.

I don't understand people who comment that kids are chunky or lazy...really would you want someone to say that to you about your kid!?!  What happened to thinking before we speak and don't say anything if you wouldn't want it to be said to you?

Quad - I hope your DS gets settled soon.  I can imagine a move would have a big impact on him because kids are such creatures of habit...at least mine is. 

Poppy good luck with the MIL.  I hope this week works out for you getting to spend time with your DD as you hope.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hope I didn't freak out you ladies about pumping!  I can't imagine anyone would need to pump 6-8 times a day.  I am guessing that this woman isn't 100% sure when she can get into the room, so she books 8 appointments... Who cares about the rest of the mothers, right?  And that doesn't explain why she books 2 rooms at the same time...

I would say at most a mother would need to pump 4 times at work, but more likely 2 or 3 times.  It really depends on so many things.  When I was first getting settled back in and had free time, I pumped 3 times a day, but still didn't get enough.  However, DD was sleeping through the night and only feeding 5 times a day, so I needed more oz per feeding than I could produce.  My frozen stash lasted until 6 months, and then we started formula once a day.  Plenty of other people seem to get enough from 2 or 3 pumping sessions.  Good luck and we're here for you when the time comes!

BTW - I can't believe our LOs are coming up on a year either!  And LLL you gave me so much advice early on about Baby Cafe and all of that - I can't believe your second is more than half cooked already :o)

A while ago people were posting about the spacing between babies and saying they weren't so sure they wanted to start soon after all.  I am actually experiencing the opposite!  I'm not in a big rush, but before I thought we'd TTC once DD was 2 at the absolute earliest and now I think I'd like to do it then for sure... if we can afford it!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Absolutely, she's covering all her bases at the expense of the other mothers' needs.  What a selfish bittch.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

In Response to Re: February - Infants and Toddlers:
    There are 3 different rooms and sometimes she even books 2 of them at the same time.  How could you do that to your fellow mothers?  Not everyone would think to look at the other schedule to see that the SAME person has the other room booked. Rant over!
    Posted by framerican51008

One for each bo0b?

Seriously, that is so self-centered and ridiculous.

ETA: None of the offices/rooms in our entire building lock, and someone actually walked in on me pumping once.  Luckily it was a female coworker that I know well so I wasn't mortified, but each knock (since that happens even when I put a SIGN on the DOOR) does give me momentary heart failure.  I always made sure to pump facing AWAY from the door.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You could get a cheap rubber wedge door stop from Office Depot, Walmart, Staples...that would absolutely lock the door.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I realize how lucky I am that I have my own office- with a window- but not when some window washers caught me pumping. I am sure the poor guy almost fell...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Haha these stories are funny. I pump in my storage closet with a bunch of 5yos in the room.  Can you imagine if one of them walked in??  I am sure they would be horrified.  They think I am "working in my office."  

On another pumping related note, I realize that the 1 year mark is heading our way and at 1 year DS should switch to cow's milk and a sippy cup as opposed to a bottle (I know to gradually switch to the cup).  If DS is still sensitive to cow/soy milk I am not sure what I would give him, rice milk is really just a bunch of sugar and no fat. Coconut? which is an allergen also.    Do people ever put pumped milk into a sippy cup?   I am planning on letting DS self wean...not sure how that all works if I am working, I suppose I would still have to pump as long as I wanted to keep my supply up.  I can't imagine pumping past a year, I'm done with it!   I am still producing plenty of milk and he still eats 5x's a day.  I suppose I could just cut out nursing sessions during the day and nurse in the morning and night once he hits 1 year.     Do kids really NEED milk?      I know I need to find something with fat in it...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

ajuly- I did 1/2 and 1/2 when we switched to a sippy and cows milk. it helped with the transition to keep some of the "flavor."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

How about almond milk?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Love that, ajuly - working in your office lol!

This is kind of a weird question and I think people will be biased based on their own experiences (that includes me), but I'm wondering if I shot myself in the foot when it comes to pumping by giving DD too many ounces at day care. 
    When she started daycare at 13 weeks, we did three 4 1/2 bottles, but within maybe 2 weeks it went up to 6 oz based on daycare's feedback.  I have seen so many references to 4 oz bottles on here and on babycenter.  I am kind of kicking myself and wondering if that is the reason I never pumped "enough" at work... On the other hand, DD was already sleeping through the night so besides those 18 oz at daycare, she only BFed twice per day.  Just curious if anyone has thoughts...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Fram, so 3 - 6oz bottles and then you also feed her 2X at night?  Or in the morning and night?  I ask because if it's the morning she probably gets a lot from the feed, whereas if it's the evenings she probably gets less.  

In my experience my DD took 3 - 3.5 oz bottles when she was about 12 weeks and that quickly went up to 5oz, but we never increased it from there.

My DS started at about 4oz, went up to 5oz and then again up to 6oz at about 5 months.  And he is still sooooo skinny!  He also nurses at least 2 times a day in addition.

I think both mine took/take around 25oz of breastmilk a day so it would depend how many feeds she does whether that is too much or just right.  My DS (6 months) is at about 5-6 feeds depending on the day and whether he sleeps through, etc.  So far I'm able to keep up, and give him those 3 -6oz bottles, hopefully that won't change!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

ajuly - If your LO is still sensitive to cows milk and soy, you might need to keep pumping, or see if you can switch to a formula that is made for allergic kids - especially if there are other allergens that make finding a balanced diet for him difficult. But definitely talk to your pedi about it. I'm sure you are looking forward to the day you can stop pumping, I know I was thrilled to give that up, but if there isn't an alternative, you might need to keep going a while longer. 
    Most kids do outgrow allergies, but it can take a while, and working with the doctors to make the transitions to new foods is probably the best way to do it. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

winter, Love it!  those poor window washers haha. 

About weaning/not pumping and substituting cow milk, At around a year I stopped pumping at work and stopped sending milk to daycare.  I kept breastfeeding long after that, but I stopped sending milk.  She didn't have a milk sensitivity, but she refused cow's milk for a long time (I think there was a thread about cow's milk recently you might be able to find and read).  She just drank water and had breast milk at home and survived well.  Are you planning on weaning completely or just not continuing to pump? 
    Also, once you're not pumping at work, nursing becomes a wonderful thing again.  I really enjoyed the last months of nursing and only weaned because I felt like it was time.  It certainly wasn't a painful chore or anything (like pumping was). 
    Good luck! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Trouble - 3 bottles and BF in the morning and before bed.  Sounds like you sent/send a similar amount to daycare.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

fram- we were above 5 ounces (I can't remember exactly, but we were using 8 ounce bottles) for months until he switched to cows milk, and I kept the morning and evening feeds long after I stopped pumping.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Teeth brushing.  Anyone have any great tips on how to get your LO to cooperate?  I use a non flouride toothpaste for Infants... some fruit flavor, and he almost always fusses, turns his head and pinches his lips together.  Same result if we use no toothpaste.  I really want to start a good habit but having trouble.  He's not quite 16 months so telling him its something he must do so his teeth don't fall out (what my mom told me) isn't an option yet.

This is also one of those issues of will.  I try and try to do it, he fusses and in the end, he wins because I can't pry open his mouth and do it.  So he's learning he wins when he fusses on this issue, which I don't like.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

There was a lengthy thread about brushing about 6 months to a year ago.  Maybe you can find it with the search?  It's a long shot, but there was a LOT of tips, info, and laughs in it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I'm still having tooth brushing troubles at 2 1/2.  Mostly they like to suck the toothpaste off the bristles.  They also like to run the brushes under the water and suck the water off them.
    I just end up putting them in a head lock and trying my best to get their teeth brushed as best as I can.
    It doesn't always work and I do give up on some nights.
    Some kids LOVE spin brushes - mine lost interest after a while - but it did work for a bit.

I'm going to edit to add that they ask to "brush teeth" and like playing with them - I just don't think they are brushing well so I do the headlock thing to make sure they have really "brushed". I also brush with them (modeling good behavior can't hurt) and sing songs that I make up to make it fun.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Here's one thread on tooth brushing, and another one.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Toothbrushing, my daughter's favorite activity (really!)

My sister gave us the rubber bendy banana toothbrush and DD LOVES it, asks for it at the end of dinner and chews and brushes her way through another few minutes. Then before she gets out of her high chair after dinner we feel we need to, we, like MissLily do the headlock. We stopped doing it right before bed because it caused a battle royale and was not conducive to a pleasant transition to bed! 

We started brushing teeth WITH our daughter, and exaggerate every movement (like shaking your head around as you brush, sticking your tongue WAY out to brush it, etc. Now she gets it and does those things on her own.

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Banana-Bendable-Training-Toothbrush/dp/B002QYW8LW

Highly recommend the banana brush! Although I am told there are also tooth brushes that sing songs and light up (our pedi recommended them!)

ETA: Now that I look at the link, this is more for teething babies than toddlers with teeth, my apologies. We received it as a Christmas present and it really somehow turned things around in the teeth brushing department at our house!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

That banana brush is too funny. 

DD was never a big toothbrusher, or I should say did not enjoy it until the past few weeks since we have been in our new house I have had her on a routine with the teeth brushing part of it and she has done it.  She even asks me to do it.  She has three brushes to choose from and I give her the choice. I am trying to teach her out to spit.  Is it too early for that, she gets a kick out of it and done need my little girl spitting all over the place.

Update on my kids sleeping.  We are over the bug that went through the kids and now they both have colds.  DD has been more than super in her room in her new bed. I cant even begin to tell you how happy I am that she loves it so much.  The only downside is that she has been waking up at 5am..That sucks but I am sure she will adjust to that.

DS still the same.  He has been horrible.  I actually got a good look in his mouth and it looks like his bottom canines are coming through.  He does not have any teeth in yet and I find it pretty weird that these would come in first but who knows If I am even right. DD teeth came in at funny times to.   He has been waking up screaming so hard and will only go back to sleep if I hold him or if he goes in the napper.  The minute I put him back in the crib he just wakes right away.  I know this is not the best thing to go do but I dont know what else to do.  He screams so loud.    I also think when I give him motrin it makes him worse at night.  Like he wakes up in triple the amount of pain.    Sleeping issues are so hard to deal with.

Sections
Shortcuts