February - Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Re: February - Infants and Toddlers

DS was hit or miss with teeth brushing when he was 18 mo...It got to the pin down and pry open mouth point...Now at 3 he loves to, he brushes then hands the tooth brush over to us to finish. We've also gotten him a Cars electic toothbrush which he loves. So, pry open that mouth, eventually they'll be so used to it they brush all on their own.  (I also refused to use any fruit/bubble gum flavor!)

Things are getting fun in the KAM household...DS is so incredibly sweet with DD. I really think 3 years is an ideal spacing between kids. DS gets when we need to tend to DD and he so protective of her it's sweet. DS has asked me not to hurt is baby when I've had to suction her nose lately, and gotten her towls to dry her hands when she's been chewing on them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

DD LOVES to brush her teeth...she comes into the bathroom with me and we both brush.  She'll mostly suck on the toothbrush and rub it along her gums.  Then I'll brush hers to finish off.  She does it morning and evening.  She also has her own toothbrush at my parents' house and will go point for it after she eats.  Her dental habits at 15 months are already far better than mine! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I am going to let DS take the lead on when I wean. Hopefully I can add more foods back into my diet because I can't go too much longer on this diet!  I'd love a cheese burger or slice of pizza! Emotionally, I feel nowhere ready to stop nursing and he still is nursing quite a bit.  Good to know about mixing 1/2& 1/2 with milk, I have a big freezer stash so I could use that up then as well.  I have lots of questions about his diet if he continues with the allergies, but my pedi is not too knowledgeable about allergies so I am sure we'll look into an allergist if we need to. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

with teeth, we also use spiffies- they are little wipes. I wipe all of his teeth and then we practice brushing together.

I saw this super cute little step stool- on one side was a button for a song about brushing your teeth, the other had a song about handwashing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I just got back from DS's 6 month appointment.  He's skinny but totally healthy!  Yay!  So I'm going to stop freaking out about his weight.  Or at least try.  He's only 13-12 which is 3%, but the pedi said that it's genetics (following his skinny sis), and that his head size is a better gauge of how he's doing, and that's right at 45%.  And he's long at 80%!  He's a mover and a shaker, so that doesn't help his weight gain. And since he's loving solids so much we're going to start him on breakfast too and then then add in lunch.  He's doing great!  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

re: toothbrushing
    We went through a rough patch a couple of months ago (when DS was just about 2). What worked was "brushing" his lovey's teeth before brushing his (sans toothpaste, of course). We go through the whole routine--"Tops, Bottoms, Sides, Backs, Sides, etc." with the lovey and then say, "Now, it's J's turn." He loves it and now brushes without a fuss (most nights, anyway.)

Also, the spin brush is a lifesaver. DS is partial to Thomas.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

trouble- what a relief! wish my weight was in the 3rd percent :)

kiwi- I think we have the same toothbrush!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Our LO also likes it when we make the tooth brushing faces, like showing the bottom teeth, showing the top teeth, et cetera.  She thinks we're funny and then she mimics.  We also do the two toothbrush trick, so she gets to hold one, put it under the water, et cetera.
    I will say that there used to be resistance but then it just went away somehow and now she enjoys it.  Hang in there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Thanks Fram...I can't believe it either.  This pregnancy has gone by so much faster but we are so busy I haven't had a lot of time to focus on it!

When we decided to start trying again a big factor for us was how long it took us the first time and we had no idea what it would be like this time.  We also felt like we wanted them to be closer in age then farther apart.  20 months and a newborn sometimes freaks me out...I wouldn't mind DS being a little more independent but I remember how great it was growing up with my younger brother who is 16 months younger so I know it will all be good.

DS likes brushing...well as others mentioned chewing on the toothbrush!  We pretend to brush mine and he will usually copy.  He has all four molars though so it is hard to get him to get the toothbrush in his month to do those.  We don't use any toothpaste yet though...when have others started that?

So one of DS' new things is to sometimes bite and it is always me!  I say no stearnly which results in a crying fit, laying on the floor in tears.  I usually try to redirect him to something else and if that doesn't work just let him cry until he is done.  Does anyone have experience with this??  It is heart breaking but I don't want him to think biting is okay. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Trouble - great news!!
    Quad - glad everyone's feeling better, sorry you're still having sleep woes.  We are also currently up at least an hour in the middle of the night every night.  I think it might be molars.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who currently has to basically use the head-lock manouver to get any teeth brushed.  I did buy a cute little book, I think it's called Brush, Baby, Brush, where there is a pic of an animal showing their teeth on each page and it has the child brush the animal's teeth, "Good job, now brush your teeth!"  She liked it for a while, now she's sort of over it.  I might switch to going into the bathroom and brushing with her, maybe getting her a little stepstool some of you recommended.  Thanks for the ideas!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Oh yes, I imagine the years of emotional difficulties I am imposing every time I do the headlock.  But she has a full set of teeth so it is that or the years of dental work...
    I have gossiped to her little angel in her crib (whom she loves with all her heart), have worked the peer-pressure angle (all the big girl toddlers are doing it) and we still struggle.  I even tried the step stool - which she loves for hand washing but not so much for the teeth.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

luck- i actually (I think lemon mentioned this) ask DS now if he wants to brush teeth the easy way or the hard way, and I let him choose between spiffies flavors or a toothbrush.  we still do the headlock like twice a week, but it isn't every night any more.

ps. I think that the emotional difficulties of 20 fillings will be worse than a headlock she doesn't remember.

LLLE- do you have flouride in your water? my dentist said as long as there was flouride in the water, you could brush with the training paste until 3 or 4 (or until the child can spit).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

How's everyone doing?  Plans for DD's bday party are in full swing, which is so fun.  She is so stinkin cute.  Her newest thing is repeating when I say "mwaaa".  She has also become attached to her little sweet pea doll, which I love.  Until now she hasn't shown a preference for anything.

I stopped pumping effective last Friday.  Physically, everything seems fine.  I feel anxious and super b*tchy, so I don't know if that is related... or if I'm just making excuses for being b*tchy :o)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I'm glad you posted an update.  :)  Fun.
    We have the same sweet pea doll!  I thought it was the cutest ever.  Our LO doesn't care about it at all, though.  She is still (18 months) not attached to any object.  She does "lovey" her hair, though.  She holds it and runs her fingers along it when she is tired or going to sleep.

We had our 18 month appointment yesterday.  21 pounds even and doing great!  I was bummed to find out there is another blood draw at 2 years, but also a little bit glad because at the time of her initial lead test she was not mobile yet.  It will be nice to confirm that she's not getting a lot of lead from somewhere.
    We also had a little breakthrough of her being mostly friendly with the doctor!  Made it much more fun.  We have been looking at doctor pictures in between which may have helped.  I am thinking doctor kit and some kind of book for her birthday, if anyone has recommendations.
    It also marked the first time she got a "prize" after the doctor visit... really not a baby any more!  Bittersweet.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

If the kids did not get poked all the time going to the doctor it maybe would not be so bad.  The first time DD had to have her lead test done 6 times before they could get a vein.  At her 3 year she had another and it only took one shot.   She was there in November for something and that was the first time she did not freak out.  Since then she has been twice and been fine. 

When DD was 2 they put a little robe on her and I thought the same thing how she was not a baby anymore and they put her on regular scale.  

DD knows when she goes to the doctor they give her a sticker pop if she is a good girl.  So she gets excited to go.  Her doctors last name is Rios and she calles her RIO after the movie.  She knows it is wrong and laughs everytime. 

We made great strides last night in the sleeping dept.  Last night, while I was highly enjoying reading DD Amelia Bedilia Plays Ball.  I was so into it all of a sudden, DD was snoring.  I think I read most of the book with her sleeping.  Oh well, brought back memories for me.  She also stayed in her whole bed all night!!!!

DS went to bed at 7, woke at his usual 130 and cried for a just little bit and went back to sleep for the rest of the night.
    The worst part is I had to wake both kids up to leave the house this morning :-(.  Wish they would stay sleeping when we did not have to leave.  

Hopefully I am over the hump of the restless nights sleep with the both of them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Quad, I love Amelia Bedilia!!  Used to be my bedtime stories too and I would laugh so hard I'd be hiccuping :-)

Fram, good luck with your party, and feel free to be b*tchy and blame it on the lack of pumping.  Who would know!

My DS is attached to his loveys.  Thank goodness we have two.  One is his favorite, but he is ok to leave the house with the other.  Its so bizarre... one day no interest.  And the next, he literally won't take it out of his hand ALL day.  He even wants to take it in the bath...which is where I have to draw the line of course.  

Horrible parent award this morning.  Opened DS's door to get him up and smelled the worst smell.  He was still sound asleep, but I saw vomit all over his bed.  He at least had moved to the other end, so he wasn't lying in it.  No idea when he got sick.  I still keep the monitor on right beside my bed, and I can't believe I didn't hear him.  I guess the fact he went right back to sleep means he wasn't too upset.  But still, just felt like a horrible mom.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

IPW - that has *totally* happened to me!  And to a lot of other people I know.  It was all dried in her hair and totally gross.  It is a bad feeling, but as you said, how would you know??  Obviously if they were upset they would yell.  :)

Quad - good news on sleeping!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Fram - your situation may be different than what I dealt with, but when I stopped b-feeding I ended up with what I can only imagine were huge hormone shifts and actually ended up having to seek help from my doctor to deal with it.  It got pretty bad, to the point where I was apparently pretty nasty to everyone (except DD) and what really tipped me off that it was more than just moodiness was that I couldn't get anything done at work, which is very unlike me.

Like I said, your situation may be NOTHING like mine, but I wanted to share just in case. I went for weeks not dealing with it and it got pretty bad before I realized I needed help.  It cleared up in a couple of months.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks, Poppy.  I will keep my eye on it!  I have had a seriously tough time focusing at work, so maybe that is related as well.

Quad - Glad the sleep situation is improving!

IPW - I imagine that would feel terrible, but you are still a great mama!  I feel bad when there are just boogers on the sheet, thinking about my poor baby sniffling all night. 

That reminds me of something I meant to ask.  Does anyone know what the difference is between a vaporizer and a humidifier?  We have used a vaporizer for the past two colds and it makes the wallpaper bubble!!  I'm not sure if it is more humid or what.  The whole thing confuses me anyway.  I had registered for a warm mist humidifier, but then a mommy friend got me a cool one and said I should have reg'd for that...
    Then when our first got moldy - my bad! - and I was looking for a new one at the store, it seemed like I DID need a warm one for cough/cold.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Fram,  I cant help you with the humidifier/vaporizer thing but all I know is they all stink.  I have a Elephant Shaped crane.  I have no idea if it is warm or cool, or if it even works to tell you the truth.   All I know it blows the most mist out of it and it has not broke yet. 

Poppy, Was this the post about the girl and the boy?  I cant remember but As you may know i have an older girl and younger boy.  I love that I had the girl first, she is so motherly, and super helpful.  The biggest tip I can give parents when the second child comes along is make the first one your little helper.  DD still loves helping out even if it is just throwing away a diaper.    Most of my baby toys are unisex so I think they should be ok toy wise until they get older.  The one thing I wish I could change about the girl is the clothes situation.  I have SOOOOO many girl clothes that I am going to cry if my sister does not have a girl with her next child so I can happily hand them down to her.  If not, I will be making some mom and day happy campers.  My DH was cursing me when we were moving and all he kept reading on the bins where Girls 0-6 months, girls 12-18 months, girls 2T and so on......

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

IPW, that happened to me with DD too.  I found it early because it was summer and we had her in our room with the AC.  She actually ended up being really sick :(  But we didn't hear her do it at all and she was scrunched at the other side her her crib too.

Yay, Fram!  No more pumping!  I can't wait!  I have a baby app on my phone, and since I started logging back in November it tells me I have spend 1 day, 4 hrs and 18 minutes of my life pumping.  Think about how much time will be added back into your life!  

I really need that Child of Mine Book.  We have so many issues in the Trouble household with food right now.  DD is totally regressing and wants to be fed.  She usually refuses to feed herself with a spoon and DH or I do it because she is skinny and we don't want her to starve.  After talking with the pedi we decided to let her do it and not do it for her even if it means she doesn't eat much.  Boy has it been tough.  I almost have to physically restrain myself not to do it for her when she won't!  

Then I have DS (6 months) who is doing great with his meals but totally getting so distracted nursing unless we are alone (some mornings, bedtime and night feeds).  I wonder if this means he'll wean early?  I hope not, but I can't exactly take him to a private retreat for each feed when I also have a 21 month old to take care of!  

Please tell me it gets easier at some point?!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Trouble - my DD was totally a distracted nurser, from around 6 months on. She did eventually get a little less distractable, but still it was much easier to take her someplace quiet. It is rough, and I imagine with another LO it might be close to impossible to have a totally quiet environment. I know that I had to find quiet distraction free places to nurse if I wanted DD not to keep twisting around every which way to see everything that was going on (while staying latched the whole time-yeeouch!). I have heard that a bright large necklace that gives a focus point near your breast can help with a distractable baby, but I never tried it with DD. HTH!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Trouble - we went through the distraction while nursing phase and it did then get better.  I hope the same is true for you!

Funny that you mentioned it, because I just started the Child of Mine book.
    So far, it's just okay.  I have mostly read the general principles, skimmed the infant stuff, and now I am starting in depth the toddler section.
    I think the reason it's "just okay" is because the fundamental principles I had already heard from some others on these boards.  Like that we decide the what and when and where of toddler food, and she decides whether she wants to eat it and how much.
    The things I'm wondering about personally are (a) snacks, because we are pretty liberal with giving snacks when she asks regardless of time, and (b) foods that are bad for you -- I don't really want her to eat them, but I also don't want her to be like me where I went nuts whenever I got access to the "bad" food that was restricted by my mom.

Regarding your spoon thing, I haven't gotten to anything about that yet but I will let you know if I do.  We still help our LO with the spoon sometimes if she wants (18 months).  She will do a few, then we do a few, et cetera.  I don't think that's so bad.  I mean, practicing is good, but it's hard work and it's a continuum of her learning to do it herself.
    Also, yesterday our LO was 8% for weight, a bit down in % from 15 month appt but still gained a pound or so.  Her doctor didn't say boo about it.  I know it's hard not to worry, but if your daughter is happy and active, she's probably eating enough.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: February - Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]DD is totally regressing and wants to be fed.  She usually refuses to feed herself with a spoon
    Posted by Trouble30[/QUOTE]
    oh oh oh! Have you read the Your X-Year-Old books? They talk about this! It's not necessarily a food thing -- it's part of the developmental stage. I forget if it was late twos or early threes, but they said that the kid will start pretending to be a baby all the time -- wanting to be carried, fed, swaddled, etc. They even have sample quotes, some of which my daughter said verbatim, like "I am a baby. I have no teeth. You have to feed me. But I can talk." The books don't give a ton of advice (which is actually kind of nice) but it's incredibly reassuring to know it's a normal, healthy phase that will pass. So you can kind of enjoy it while it's happening. I also didn't want to get into feeding my daughter, that was too much work. But I found that if I indulged her baby play in other ways, like wrapping her up in a blanket and telling her that she will always be MY baby, or even getting her a baby doll care kit (they have them for very cheap at target) so she can take care of her own baby, it gives her a fix so the helpless baby stuff doesn't ooze over into other areas of our lives, like dressing herself or anything else that would be really annoying.

http://www.amazon.com/Your-Two-Year-Old-Louise-Bates-Ames/dp/0440506387/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329273168&sr=1-1

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: February - Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]Does anyone know what the difference is between a vaporizer and a humidifier?  We have used a vaporizer for the past two colds and it makes the wallpaper bubble!!  I'm not sure if it is more humid or what.  The whole thing confuses me anyway.  I had registered for a warm mist humidifier, but then a mommy friend got me a cool one and said I should have reg'd for that... Then when our first got moldy - my bad! - and I was looking for a new one at the store, it seemed like I DID need a warm one for cough/cold.
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]
    I only know this: most humidifiers are awful, but the Germ Guardian is not as awful. You still have to clean it, but not as often and there is no gross filter to deal with. You want to run it on the cool setting because that's what people say to do. I don't know why. I bought two at Job Lot for $50/each. They are more expensive than the regular kind of humidifier, but they've lasted us for three years (unlike the other ones, which got so disgusting we threw them out after one year). They have lots of settings, and can shut themselves off when the humidity reaches a certain level. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_appliances?_encoding=UTF8&node=2619525011&field-brandtextbin=Pure%20Guardian
    Now, if you're really serious about moist air, the Air-O-Swiss is the super ultimate in humidifier technology. My friends who have this thing LOVE it. I want one too.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_appliances?_encoding=UTF8&node=2619525011&field-brandtextbin=Pure%20Guardian#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_5?url=search-alias%3Dappliances&field-keywords=air-o-swiss+humidifier&sprefix=air-o%2Cappliances%2C177&rh=n%3A2619525011%2Ck%3Aair-o-swiss+humidifier