February - Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: February - Infants and Toddlers

Increases in potty training age have been correlated to strides in dry-diaper/comfort technology so I'm betting it makes it harder to train.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Fram - I hate to say it but I do think there is a correlation to whether a baby cares or not about a messy diaper.  DD1 couldn't have cared less about a wet diaper, right up until I stopped putting her in them at 3.5.  She never once asked to be changed and actually would flat out lie saying she didn't have p00 even when we could smell it across the room. She is now trained.  Yay, it really only took a couple of very easy weeks.  Now my nephew who is just 10 days younger than DD1, will tell you ASAP when he has done anything in his diaper and always has been that way but still is really inconsistent on the potty.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Someone a while back posted something about switching to cloth diapers, or putting underwear on under a disposable diaper, during the potty training time so the LO feels more wet/uncomfortable, because of what Kar said above.  I tucked that away in my back pocket for future use - both seem like great ideas to get a LO more aware of a dirty diaper.

Lissa - ew!  I had never heard about that.  Great.  Something to look forward to.

Medford - so cute!  And so funny - my DD has started doing that as well!  She'll go around the room and "wash" everyone's hands. 

Memes - very cute, so funny the things they focus on.  And I'm hoping to get into a Daddy phase at our house soon.  Mommy needs a break.  :)  (but then I'm sure I"ll get a wee jealous)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Poppy, when you put that underwear under diaper thing in your back pocket, think about using a folded washcloth instead - same affect, but easier to deal with once you open the diaper!

We've done cloth diapers 85% of the time since she reached 8lbs. and the inserts are awesome, but not worth the money for the short time you toilet train!

Med, I never would have figured out what DD was doing. That sounds so cute, and it's so awesome you can see rays of toddler sunshine, even on the cranky days.

Fram - DD has never complained about a dirty diaper, but she's been peeing on the potty for several days now (not exclusively, only when she asks or we offer to put her on the potty).

Memes - I'm amazed at how kids and animals connect. So cute "good girl" We are very excited that DD can now say our cats (all three) names.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

I recall a post about LOs feeling most safe with their "primary" care giver, and therefore giving them the hardest time??  Anyone remember this and can elaborate at all?  I definitely spend the most time with DS over my DH, MIL and daycare teachers.  And I am just getting abused.  DS is so whiney all the time with me now.  He cries/screams when I change his diaper (sings when Daddy does it), wants to pull my hair, won't eat a lot of what I give him complaining for something else... and yesterday, I got bit pretty darn bad (first time).  He wanted in the bathroom vanity and I was in front saying "no, no cupboard" and he grabbed my thigh with his teeth, but then chumped down so hard.  Through my jeans he tore skin.  I yelped (it f ing hurt), said "no bite" very loudly 3 times while sitting him on his bum.  Then ignored for 1 minute.  He was beyond upset and wanted me to hold him right away.  But I absolutely will not tolerate biting.  Especially when it draws blood.  I know if he did that at daycare he'd probably be dismissed.

He is an absolute angel when other people come to our house or when we go out/have playdates.  Yesterday was a perfect example.  Horrible for first hour to me (us alone), EI therapist came and all smiles and laughs and did his exercices, great in the car for errands, and beyond awesome at afternoon playdate.  Then home for dinner and immediate screaming and crying until Dad got home.  Do I just take this or is there anything a mom can do when their little ones are really trying to see what their limits are? He is 16 mths.  Is it possible he doesn't like me?  I know that's a silly question... but I'm at my wit's end.  I know kids don't like their parents quite often, and if its because of discipline, that's fine with me (I'm harder than DH already I can tell).  I really wasn't quite fond of my mom until I was about 18.  But, already???

I'm going to give him more space, and me too.  I've decided to join the gym down the street and turn over the morning routine to DH so I can go twice a week before work.  This will be good for my thighs as well as my mind.  And maybe absense will make the heart grow fonder for the little guy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Poppy - My niece who just turned two has been able to undress herself and remove the dirty diaper since she was 18 months or maybe even a little younger.  My sister has to be strategic about dressing her because if you turn your back on her for more than 30 seconds you could turn back and find her buck naked.  She goes to bed in zipper pjs on backwards so she can't unzip them after numerous p00py incidents.  My DD1 only did it once and thankfully it was only pee but that was the end of zipper pjs for a while. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In Response to Re: February - Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]Med, I never would have figured out what DD was doing. That sounds so cute, and it's so awesome you can see rays of toddler sunshine, even on the cranky days.
    Posted by ml2620-2[/QUOTE]
    It's easier to see from the safety and comfort of work.  :)

IPW, you have my sympathy.  OUCH!  I do remember reading about kids being the most difficult when they feel the safest.  I don't remember what to do about it, other than hold the line on the "rules" but stay with them so they feel safe.  It sounds like you're doing a great job, and getting some time for yourself at the gym will be good.

This is definitely a time of big changes and big difficulties.  Our LO actually pushed at another kid this weekend.  Oy.  I say "pushed at" because she just sort of pushed his leg away, didn't push him down or anything.  I am surprisingly conflicted about this.  I know she CAN'T push other kids and she needs consequences if she does push.  However, she was getting absolutely trampled and I want her to have some sort of way to protect herself.  The kid was only 13 months and a new walker, so he was just basically repeatedly walking over/into her while she was sitting -- but not intentionally by him, she was just an obstacle.  She can't walk, but she can move away from a situation.  I'm not sure how to teach an 18 month old that she can't push but she can move away in the interest of self-preservation.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

IPW - I'm sure it's not that he doesn't like you!!  It almost sounds like when there is a change (like your EI person coming, or DH coming home) it distracts him out of his funk?  Not sure if I was reading your post correctly. I feel for you - it's so hard when your child seems to always take everything out on you!

I also wonder if it's a phase/the age.  We're going through Crank City at our house (like you, Medford) and what I notice most of all is that DD doesn't seem to know what she wants, she just knows she wants it NOW!  She'll be super cranky with me, but then if I try to go to work or get in the shower she screams and wants me to hold her.  I swear it's like she's hormonal!  This is sort of new, so I'm still trying to figure it out.  The best (usually only) way to snap her out of it is to do something totally unexpected, like start dancing, or fall on the floor, or pretend I'm going to drop her or flip her upside down.  Of course, that only works for so long.

Oh, and I also saw DD push another kid away for the first time last week, and my mom said she hit a little girl they go play with when my mom has her (not hit hard, and she didn't know why).  I was horrified about both.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

[QUOTE]Lissa - ew!  I had never heard about that.  Great.  Something to look forward to.
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]
    We hadn't either haha.  We learned fast.  She potty trained REALLY quickly, though, which was nice. I don't think ALL kids do it.  Ours did, though.  She hates wearing clothes at all, though.  She comes home, takes her shoes off, takes her socks off, takes her pants and undies off, and runs around the house in a t-shirt, despite the fact we keep the thermostat at like 62F.  Nothing will convince that child to put clothes on.  I think she might just be kind of sensitive to the way things feel.  To her, it made perfect sense to take off the gross diaper and roll over. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

[QUOTE]I recall a post about LOs feeling most safe with their "primary" care giver, and therefore giving them the hardest time??  Anyone remember this and can elaborate at all?  I definitely spend the most time with DS over my DH, MIL and daycare teachers.  And I am just getting abused.  DS is so whiney all the time with me now.  He cries/screams when I change his diaper (sings when Daddy does it), wants to pull my hair, won't eat a lot of what I give him complaining for something else... and yesterday, I got bit pretty darn bad (first time).  He wanted in the bathroom vanity and I was in front saying "no, no cupboard" and he grabbed my thigh with his teeth, but then chumped down so hard.  Through my jeans he tore skin.  I yelped (it f ing hurt), said "no bite" very loudly 3 times while sitting him on his bum.  Then ignored for 1 minute.  He was beyond upset and wanted me to hold him right away.  But I absolutely will not tolerate biting.  Especially when it draws blood.  I know if he did that at daycare he'd probably be dismissed. He is an absolute angel when other people come to our house or when we go out/have playdates.  Yesterday was a perfect example.  Horrible for first hour to me (us alone), EI therapist came and all smiles and laughs and did his exercices, great in the car for errands, and beyond awesome at afternoon playdate.  Then home for dinner and immediate screaming and crying until Dad got home.  Do I just take this or is there anything a mom can do when their little ones are really trying to see what their limits are? He is 16 mths.  Is it possible he doesn't like me?  I know that's a silly question... but I'm at my wit's end.  I know kids don't like their parents quite often, and if its because of discipline, that's fine with me (I'm harder than DH already I can tell).  I really wasn't quite fond of my mom until I was about 18.  But, already??? I'm going to give him more space, and me too.  I've decided to join the gym down the street and turn over the morning routine to DH so I can go twice a week before work.  This will be good for my thighs as well as my mind.  And maybe absense will make the heart grow fonder for the little guy.
    Posted by IPWBride[/QUOTE]
    IPW, I feel for you. 
    He loves you, he likes, you he trusts you and feels safe with you.  He bit you because he knew you'd still love him no matter what.  It s*cks, but it's the way it is some days (or weeks, sigh).  DD is always worse with me than anyone else, including DH.  Plus, there's something to be said about getting the kid from daycare just when the witching hour is starting.  That pre-meal chaos time is a not-fun time to be a kid or a parent.  I was just talking about this with a coworker friend who just came back to work.  She feels guilty about leaving the baby at daycare but then she feels guilty that when she picks her up she feels resentful that she's counting down the next 5 hours until the child will stop nursing and pass out.  My friend knows her daughter has cheerful laughing play times at school and takes 2 2-hour naps and is generally easy as pie.  Then it's all about being a miserable fussy little larval-stage human for hours with Mom after poor Mom's worked an 8-hour day (plus baby back-seat crying commutes). 

The fussiness will get better.  We had a real bout of fussiness and general misery at about 16-18 months with our DD and she's really been wonderful recently.  Now that she's older (3 next month) we've had a lot of success giving her activities that make her feel included without having to stop doing our own stuff.  For example, she "washes the dishes" (stands on a stool at the sink and makes a huge soggy soapy mess with a few pots, plastic plates, spoons, strainer, etc.) while I cook dinner.  She isn't in the way, isn't near the knives or oven, but we can talk about her day and share some time.  I feel like some of that fussiness misery at the edge of 2 years is from them being mature enough to get bored/frustrated but not really  mature enough to do anything about it.
    Feel better!
    He really does love you more than anyone!  Think about it--when some random weird coworker asks you how your day is going, you just say "fine, and you?" and then when your best friend asks you you tell them the truth.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Totally not kid-related, but the same thing happens with the elderly!  Both my mom and mother-in-law are being "abused" by their mother/mother-in-law...  because they are the ones closest to them.  They are kind to everyone else but lay it all out to the ones to take care of them the most!  So we have that to look forward to in the future, too! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Annnnd it applies to cats too!  My cat occasionally attacks me - hides under the dining room table and jumps on my legs when I walk by.  I did some googling and found that they tend to show aggression towards the person they see as their primary caregiver.  Fun!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Does anyone have any recommendations for travel sleep solutions for toddlers who are growing out of the pack n play?  We have been using the pack n play with no problems since my DD was little, and we were away this past weekend and I noticed it was getting a little small for her.  She's on the taller side, and her entire body spanned the length of the pack n play when stretched out.  Granted, she slept through the night and napped fine, so it obviously wasn't bothering her, but we are going on vacation this summer for a week, and I'm concerned the pack n play will be too small.  She just turned two years old, but we haven't thought about moving her to a big girl bed yet, mainly because she's been sleeping fine in her crib and hasn't tried to climb out of it yet.  Even if things change and she is sleeping in a toddler bed by the summer I will still need to figure out a place for her to sleep on our vacation since we are staying at a Cape house with family and there isn't a bed for her to use.  Any ideas? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Rama, we have this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Shrunks-Tuckaire-Toddler-Inflatable-Travel/dp/B001EQ66WK
    Works pretty well for trips to family members now that DD uses the P+P and DS is too big for it anyway.  I like the air mattress... only complaint is when DS moves in his sleep, it rustles a bit and keeps me up as we are in the same room at my parents - once the rustling woke him up, too.

And a good friend has this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Princess-Inflatable-bed/dp/B004QWTBLC/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1329935194&sr=1-2-catcorr

I have a friend who uses an IKEA kids tent and a sleeping back in their bedroom floor for her DS (3yo) when her parents come to visit and they need his big boy bed for grandma. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

What if you just bring a sleeping bag for her?  The novelty of it might keep her contained.  Bring some outlet covers and childproofing equipment and stick her in a room in the capehouse where she can go to sleep, if you can.  It depends on the kid, though. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Rama- what about a sofa/loveseat? Especially if you can block the open side with something. We stayed at a friend's condo in NH last summer (DD was 2.5) and we had an Aerobed for us, and I put it right up against the sofa, where DD slept. It was the tall Aerobed, so the sofa seat and bed height were about the same. DD slept pretty well. Our issue was the giant skylight that streamed bright sunshine on us very early in the morning. We all woke up from that. ;-)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

Need help from those who are well versed in the sleep methods...
    ds is 21 months and has always been a very good sleeper.  We have always been able to put him down when awake and he falls asleep on his own.  Yes we have had periods where he will fuss for a bit or talk or play but after usually a short time he passes out.  Well all of a sudden he has started screaming, crying and calling out for mom and dad when we put him down and it lasts for about 2 hours.  We let him go for a short while - which was typical to the past, then go in and check make sure he is not stuck and the minute we walk in he wants to play - he picks up a picture frame and names the items on the frame, picks up a stuffed animal and names their parts (eye, ear, nose); names the parts of mom/dad/himself; asks for milk, then juice then water when told no to all of them etc He finds something to do even if we remove all distractions he then demands his puppy, or his duck or the foofa book or the train book
    I hate not going in when he is calling for us the first time - because in the past if he called our name we could typically restart his bedtime music, change a stinky diaper or rub his back for minute and then he would be fine and fall asleep after we left the room.  Now this is lasting for hours...what do we do?  He is down to and has been down to one nap a day and it lasts typically 1 hr to 2 hours (he is a daycare) right after lunch.  That is their scheduled time.  We have also tried to push bedtime back from 6:45 to about 7:15 ish thinking he just needs a later bedtime.  Plus we have stuck with our normal routine which to be honest has never been super but we do try to stay on point as much as possible with a few things never changing.  We cant do a bath everynight - his skin is just too dry for that in the winter.  Any thoughts or suggestions or is this just a wait it out phase?  sorry for the long post...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

What time does he have to get up in the AM?  Is he tired the next day from all of this loss of sleep?  If he's not tired the next day, then maybe he doesn't need that much sleep.
    I am definitely *not* well-versed in sleep methods.  But I think the Ferber book would say to begin by putting him down later for a while, close to the time he's actually been falling asleep.  Because he's in a pattern now of falling asleep later, so it's going to be hard to have success at the earlier time.  So by doing the later time, you may be able to help re-establish a peaceful, successful going to bed.  And then once peace and order are restored, pull it back 15 minutes earlier and so on.
    Other than that, I think the book would say to be very consistent about your response and what he is / is not allowed to have once he's gone to bed.  That was helpful advice for us.
    Best of luck!  Sleep going backwards is the WORST.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

The not needing the sleep is my biggest fear - though I love him I also love when he goes to bed as that is my time to clean up from the day and prep for the next - urgh.  He can wake up as late as 7 but he tends to wake around 5:30 or 6 and does not seem tired but does still seem to require the nap mid day as you can see him get tired as mid day approaches.
    that is a good idea to go later but then slowly pull back...think we will try tonight as mimi and papa are coming for dinner tonight anyways.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Exhaustion is full on for me right now...DD woke up 3 times last night (has been sleeping through the night since 10 weeks). and DS got up once. They tagged teamed me all night long. But DD seems to be going through a growth spurt, almost 5.5 mo so right on target. But man, do I miss my sleep!

DD also started to roll this week, so exciting and horrifing that she's starting to get mobile. She's in love with her purees, big fan of veggies over fruit. It's funny to watch her drink water from a sippy, she attacks it like we've never given her any liquid before. :)

When traveling with DS we stopped putting him in a p'n'p when he was about 2, he was way too long for them and hated being in them. We also moved him to a big boy bed at 2 and he did great with it. When traveling to hotels we request a roll away bed-he stays in and typically they are low enough to the ground that we don't worry about him rolling out. When traveling to houses we use the sleeping bag...it's a fun thing for him at this age.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

My heart goes out to my sleep deprived mom co-bloggers.  There is nothing worse for me than feeling tired.  Good luck!  We haven't hit any major sleep issues yet, but I'm preparing myself given so many seem to happen around 22mths-2yrs.

So, I went to the gym this morning!  First time I have worked out in.. gosh, 18 months perhaps.  I stopped at 8 mths PG or thereabouts.  It felt so good not only to get moving, but to have an hour just for me.  I only had to get up about 10 minutes earlier than normal (and I must have been really excited as I work up 5 minutes before the alarm!).  DH did the morning routine and when I got out of the shower and DS saw me, he came running for a hug!  Wow did that make me feel so good.  Exercise endorphins and a little boy who wanted some mom squeezes.  Considering he's been nothing but miserable this entire week, I'm a happy girl right now :-)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

IPW - good for you!  :)  What a great plan.  :)

wrkingmom - I had the same feeling when our LO went from a 7PM to an 8PM bed time.  It hasn't been as bad as I thought, though.  Mostly because we've been able to also move a lot of the "stuff" you mention to also be before bed time.  Like most of the time we now eat dinner with her, where we used to eat after she went to bed.  And since my DH used to be running in the door at 6:45 to try to see her (and often missing it!), now he's still running in the door at 6:45 or 7, but that means he gets time to play and I try to get a lot of stuff cleaned up and ready for the next day.  If we time it right, we usually don't have more than 15 or 20 minutes of stuff left to do after she goes to bed and then we can relax.  Of course, not every day works out great, but all in all it's not as bad as I thought it would be.  Whatever ends up being the solution for you, best of luck!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Excitement in the Sprout household this morning...WE SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT!!!  8 glorious hours straight! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Sprout - Hooray!!! What wonderful news!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Hi all! I'm making the jump from the pregnancy boards. DS (my first) is a week old. Our little family is doing great so far. DS is happy and healthy, DH is home for 2 weeks and proving to be an awesome dad and a great support for overly-emotional mom. My only big problem is nursing. DS wasn't very efficient at first and I was engorged by the end of last week. Plus, we'd been supplementing with formula due to mild jaundice. We met with an LC on Friday and made some adjustments and we managed to get through an afternoon of feedings with only bfing. Ever since, despite nursing and pumping, my supply hasn't gotten back to what it needs to be. Our LC has us alternating between formula and bfing, limiting time on the breast (I was letting him go up to an hour), and pumping each feeding when I don't bf. last time I did this I managed barely an ounce and DS has been taking 2+ oz of formula. On top of this, DS is still lazy at the breast, going strong for a few mins and then nodding off (whether that's cause or effect of the supply issue I'm not sure) and it's very hard to get him to latch right. Every time I try to get him on, he turns his head up and away and opens his mouth huge, but when he turns back to me he absolutely will not open that wide. I've even tried turning his head back when he opens wide but his little neck is already too strong and he won't turn. I often end up settling for a subpar latch, which I'm sure doesn't help any of the issues I've mentioned. Any similar experiences/advice?

Sections
Shortcuts