February Infants & Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Re: February Infants & Toddlers

Poppy, we generally have just let her cry because we find going in isn't effective in calming her down.  She actually hasn't taken very long to adjust and,thankfully, we haven't had to deal with prolonged bouts of crying. 

we had a 6 mo pedi visit last week and the doc told me that dd is capable of sleeping 10 straight hrs without eating. She is 15.5 lbs.   she is going more like 7-8 hrs (from 7 pm to about 3-4 am), eating, and back until about 6:30. 

I did dream feeds with my older dd but they didnt work with dd2 bc she wouldnt nurse well if she was sleeping/not totally hungry and then would wake up a few hours later anyway. It's worth a shot to try to drop the 2:00 am feed and keep the 11pm but I think your ultimate goal is to stretch him out for a longer period of time so eventually you will have to drop the dream feed. 

Just remember - as with all sleep issues - this too shall pass. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

poppy - i'm coming late to the party, but i wouldn't be so sure DS needs to eat overnight.  my twins were both sleeptrained by 5.5 months and we never looked back, and i think i remember hearing that after 4 months it was OK to not eat overnight (?).  before he was sleep-trained, DS went through a phase of "habit" wake-ups, where he would sleep until 2 am, but then wake up on the hour at 3, 4, 5... it was brutal.  we finally ferber'd (which is not letting a baby "CIO") and it took about 2 days to put a stop to that, and he was fine ever after.  i was going to say your DS is probably confused b/c sometimes he wakes up and cries and gets fed, and other times he wakes up and cries and doesn't, but some other posters said that they had figured out how to address this, so - what do i know.  ;)  GL regardless.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

As far as eating at night, 7m.o. DD still needs to eat sometimes at night. I've just accepted it...we know she can go all night without it, because I'd say 5-6 nights out of 7 she sleeps through or just wakes for a few minutes of fussing. Sometimes when I'm up with her I can actually hear her stomach growling and I feel bad so I'll definitely feed her then.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Rama - I wish I could keep that mantra! The problem is, it's been 6 months (as of yesterday) and really hasn't gotten better. Just keeps changing so I can't get a grip on it. So, we decided I'd do the 10/11pm feeding and try to cut out a later one, just to see how that would work. Well, Friday night he screamed from 9:30-midnight, don't know why. Wouldn't eat. Saturday night he was a dream, ate at 11 and 2:30 and slept until 7. Last night he ate at 10pm, then screamed until 1am. I'm thinking there must be some sort of tummy issue? But he wasn't having burps or gas, so I don't have any hard evidence. I *finally* put him in his carseat (which he HATES during the day) in his crib, and he stopped screaming and talked to himself for about 10 minutes (at 1am) then fell asleep. I also gave him a little infant motrin because I did not know what else to do. He woke at 4, I fed him, and he slept until about 7.

I just feel at wits end. To exacerbate the problem, I'm so sleep deprived I can't think straight, which doesn't help my problem-solving skills. He's such a dream baby during the day, I don't understand why nighttime is such an issue. I just don't know what to do. My friends are all full of great suggestions - teething? earache? reflux? hungry? And I think, "sure, maybe!" I have no idea. The problem is, the solution is different for all of those issues! So, which do I try? That's the conundrum. We go to pedi on Wednesday. Maybe she'll have some advice.

Thank you all for your support! Hope everyone did ok in the storm.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Poppy, I can feel your exhaustion and frustration in your posts. Hope you can find a way to get some sleep and get a grip on the situation. If it were me, I'd co-sleep and free nurse until my sleep needs were met. But let me be honest, 60% of the time, my 2.5 year old is still in my bed and it's totally fine with me.

IPW - Did you get stranded away from DH and DD with the storm? Hope you made it home and were able to enjoy the storm.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Poppy, hang in there. I think visiting the pedi this week will really help you get a sense of whether he is waking due to hunger or that he isnt good at settling himself at night.  is the room super dark? Maybe a nightlight would help him feel more secure? grasping at straws here. probably there wont be a magic solution other than him growing little more. In the meantime, I feel for you. Sleep deprivation is awful.Keep us posted what the pedi says.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Poppy - could your LO be teething? sometimes the pain is worse at night. Hang in there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Poppy, Given what you describe, I'm with ML!  Maybe not the co-sleeping, but I'd put that baby in my bedroom and I'd nurse him whenever, just so I could get some sleep.  And in a few months, I'd try to reestablish this by dropping one feeding again, once he was a bit older.

Does he not sleep enough during the day so he's overtired and can't settle at night? Does he nurse/take a bottle well during the day or is he not drinking much and then trying to nurse all night? I'm grasping at straws.

I dunno, but I would REALLY make sure your pediatrician understands the full aspect of your nights, because otherwise he/she will just say "you have to be firm, you gotta make him learn to sleep or CIO" when they have NO IDEA what you're going through. I'd print out the post you just posted about the 3 nights and bring it with me to show your pedi. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree with printing this out - you have captured the situation perfectly, and in the office all this can fly out of your head if you're anything like me. :)  

I have reasonable confidence that it's something "real" because he can and does settle himself down.  If he doesn't there is sure to be a reason that the pedi might be able to pick up on between the lines of your description here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Poppy - what you describe sounds a lot like what we experienced with DD in her first ten days. It even got so bad from 10 PM to 5AM one night that she would cry then nurse every 20 minutes. We suspected some GI issue too and told our pedi about it. Oddly during day, she was not fussy. So we did probiotics for almost a month... Hard to know if it was timing or really did work but we have never had a repeat of that horrible week. Something to ask too. Especially if your LO had been treated recently or subtle change in diet. I know we will be pulling out those probiotic drops if we have to do anything like antibiotics or such. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Last night was a first for us in a long time.  DS had a low fever yesterday morning, so a dose of tylenol and I was thrilled that it was a day with Nana instead of daycare (she does M and Tu..school the rest of the week).  MIL said he did great during the day, came home... did great up until dinner and then just melted down.  The 100 degree fever returned, so another round of tylenol (which really works wonders on my son).  He whined instead of talked, which he hasn't done in ages.  And as we were putting on PJs, he just started crying.  He just wanted to snuggle and as we were watching the news, he fell asleep right on my shoulder.  I don't think he's fallen asleep on me since he was a baby.  As much as I felt bad that he wasn't feeling great... I was enjoying the snuggle time so much.  A selfish mom moment :-)  After 12 hours of sleep, which is HUGE for DS (usually a 10 hr guy)... he woke up happy and back to normal temps.  Perhaps just a 24 hour bug?

My trip last week went great.  DH had a great time being in charge, and said DS was perfectly behaved.  Sure he was!  I was supposed to return Friday night, and thankfully we all paid attention and were able to change our flights to return Thursday night.  Even our west coasters flew home as our location was also getting a good sized storm. 

And I think Medford asked me to report back... Facetime worked great.  DS is just 2 yrs, 4 mths, and he loved it.  When my picture came up, he flashed a huge smile.  He told me about his day and it was really awesome to see his face while being away. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Question: does anyone have an recommendations for toilet locks/latches?  I never had to get any for DD#1 because she was so tiny she was mature enough/balanced enough to not fall in by the time she was tall enough to look over the rim.  DD#2 is bigger and wow is she active!  She's been pulling up since before she turned 7 months and now she's so consistently good at it that she rarely just sits there--often she's standing.  Yesterday when DD#1 was sitting on the toilet, DD#2 pulled up and started chewing her leg.

Anyone have any recommendations for things that work but my almost-4year-old will be able to open and get into when she has to use the toilet?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Poppy, as hard as it sounds, especially with him crying for so long. I think if you stick to the 10/11pm feeding schedule he'll adjust. The only good piece of parenting advice I received from my in laws was when DS was a baby, to wake him and feed him around 10:30 at night-I did that since he was an infant and he would only wake up once a night.

Thankfully they gave me that advice before some of their other advice or I wouldn't have taken it. At one point they actually told DH and I "not to get too attached to our children." um....

DD is older (almost 17 mo) but has gone through boughts of waking up at night. I've worked hard at getting her attached to a lovie, then one night I talked with her about if she woke up just give Daisy a hug and she'll help you get back to sleep. And its worked.

AFM-DD is just growing up so quickly. Language explosion big time. So my sweet deal of being able to take a sick day will soon be over, DH and currently work at the same place where day care is, and DH just accepted a new job some place else. So day care pick up/drop off is all back on me. Kinda a bummer, I really enjoyed having shared the responsibility.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Poppy... no advice.  I just feel for you.  Well, maybe one piece of advice.  Whatever you decide to do, write it down and then do it the same way each time.  That helped me a lot in the night when I was sooo tired and couldn't think about what to do, and/or didn't have the energy to discuss it with DH.  And I hope the pedi will help.  Given that he wouldn't eat but was still screaming, there must be something else going on.

IPW - glad your trip went so well!  And thanks for the face time update.  DH has some long trips coming up, and we are going to try it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Once again, thank you all for being such a great soundboard. Sorry to be so me-focused recently. I will print out my posts and bring them with me to the pedi - good idea. I definitely tend to either forget some of what I wanted to say/ask the doctor, or suddenly feel I have been making a mountain out of a molehill and will just not mention all of my concerns. Last night I was not home at bedtime and DH gave DS a bottle of pumped milk/formula combo. He was fine; woke at 10:30pm, 2:30am, and 6:30am. No screaming. I'm getting more and more convinced the screaming is related to discomfort due to something I've eaten at dinnertime, or something I fed him (we had been trying veggies, but since these episodes we're back to just rice cereal.) Cwag - I will bring up probiotics.

IPW - Congrats on making it through your trip, and glad you beat the storm home! So nice that Facetime worked out - it must have been so sweet to see DS's little face over the computer, talking to you about his day. Isnt' it the best that they are old enough now to do that?

Lissa - I don't have any idea what sort of potty-latches there are out there, but I'll be curious if there is such a thing! Maybe you're already doing this, but can you keep the door shut for now so at least you don't have to worry about DD2 wandering in there unbeknownst to you? Or is it too difficult to have DD1 have to open/shut the door every time?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

The trouble is we've been really working to keep DD from closing doors since she's been trying  to keep the baby from following her places and she doesn't judge how much space she's got very well.  Also, we have a very old house and the downstairs bathroom doesn't have any baseboard or heating vent that goes into it so we keep the door open so heat goes into the room.  Right now I'm just keeping an eye on it and it's ok but I know it's going to be more of an issue as DD#2 gets faster and sneakier. I looked online and it only looks like there are things that my preschooler would struggle with too.

GOod luck with the sleeping (or not sleeping, as it were).  It seems like every time you get a kid to settle into a pattern, some new thing wreaks havoc and you're left sleep-deprived, wandering in the wreckage of those 3 perfect days when everything went well before the teeth, virus, stage, etc. ruined it. sigh. 

Speaking of in-laws saying uncharacteristically wise things, my MIL says that teenagers are worse because when you're sleep deprived and exhausted with babies it's a physical kind of pain and sleepiness.  When you're sleep-deprived and exhausted because of your teenagers it's a psychological kind of pain and sleeplessness.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Poppy-while brushing my teeth last night I was thinking about your problem. Things I would discuss with the pedi before trying: replacing the 2:30 feeding with a sippy of water instead of milk-you could do bottle, but I wouldn't want him to start to refuse the bottle-but you'd have to start to introduce the sippy-which I did with both kids at 6 mo age with a little water during meals. soon the reward will not be there to wake up. Another trick is to keep your DS up an hour later for a week, this makes him compress his sleep into the alloted time, this can break the middle of the night wake ups (I did this several times with DD-after illness or jet lag and it always worked after a few days-but she had been sleeping through the night). Or you can try going in about 45 min before his normal wake up move him around, not wake him up, but lighten his sleep enough to change his sleep cycles.

Lissa-I think I have some sort of toilet lock, that an arm swings over and prevents the toilet lid from opening.  http://www.amazon.com/KidCo-KID-S370-Kidco-Toilet-Lock/dp/B000067Q6S/ref=sr_1_47?ie=UTF8&qid=1360762487&sr=8-47&keywords=child+safety+toilet  I haven't used them, so I can't attest to how easy/hard they are. but they look fairly easy for a preschooler to move. maybe something like this http://www.amazon.com/Toddler-Ladybug-Finger-Pinch-Safety/dp/B00B9W9QUS/ref=sr_1_122?ie=UTF8&qid=1360762259&sr=8-122&keywords=child+safety+products+bathroom could be used off lable to help? just have it go around the lit/seat and that might help slow the baby down.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Just read the front page article about parents going crazy with all the snow days, and not knowing what to do with 5 days in a row with their kids.  I don't usually read the comments section, because even on a completely non-political article (like this one) everything somehow becomes Bush's/Obama's fault.  Clearly this most recent snow was a right/left wing conspiracy!  Anyways... the comments made me so sad.  There are some people out there that clearly hate children.  I must admit, I don't love every and all children, and was never a "kid person" before having my son.  And I don't think that everyone needs to be or even should be parents, but calling parents "breeders" and saying that hiring moms is the worst because of all their time focused on their kids???!!  Wow.  I'm quite shocked right now.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

IPW- I didn't read the article or the comments (the few times I've perused the comment sections on these articles, I've seen the horrors enough not to go back...)

As far as the article, I think people are just ignorant. Sure some people might say they hate kids for whatever reason, but really I think they're just ignorant about what it's like to be a parent. And some people are just bitter...maybe all the hate is just covering up their internal desire for something they can't/don't have. Who knows. The people who post such crap as comments clearly have nothing better to do.

Plus, don't these people realize that without kids, there's no more human race? And they were a kid once, too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Those commenters who were sent out to play were sent out because their parents couldn't take them any more and needed a break!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Even if I were sick of my kids, I would never admit it in print. How nice when these children get back to school and their friends tease them for having a mom who "is done...just done."

And some commenters see everything through a political sphere. If there is no school it's because they consider Menino a corrupt simpleton who is incapable of running the city correctly.( I do have to agree with them there!)

Those childless types who dismiss the rest of us as "breeders" should have to forfit any public assistance beyond their own contributions to ss or medicare (or a public pension) since it is our children who will be financing these retirees someday.

Basically the comments section is just the grown up version of teenage bullying on Facebook. vile people who would probably never say in person what they are able to anonymously say online.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Poppy - I don't have any advice, but I hope the pedi is able to help you out. This is a long time to be dealing with sleep deprivation!

IPW - Glad the trip went well and DS liked Facetime! It's funny to think how our kids will never know life without this stuff! I didn't even use the internet until I was 16, and DS already knows (sort of) how the iPad works, though he pretty much just likes it to look at pictures of himself :-).

I have a daycare/bottle weaning question: Our pedi, as I've mentioned, wants us to try and have DS off bottles by 1 year. Considering he'll be 1 next Tuesday, we're not going to make that, but we've made good progress -- cut down to 3 per day, and only 11 oz. total.

Yesterday when I picked him up from daycare, the provider said he needed more formula (he gets one 4 oz. bottle there now) -- that he was making a big fuss and throwing his sippy at her when she tried to give it to him. Turns out, all the other babies (all within a few months of his age) get 2 bottles a day, and he wants one when he sees theirs.

We recently cut out his second daytime bottle and he has zero problem with it at home, but he's very aware of what other people are eating/drinking and always wants some, but it's not particularly an issue of hunger or thirst. Of course, when he refuses his sippy of water b/c other kids are getting bottles, he DOES get thirsty. Self-fulfilling prophecy! In any case, DH suggested giving daycare two 3 oz bottles so he's drinking at the same time as the other kids. It's a bit more total then he gets at home, but not a lot. I'm just worried about whether this will set us back on getting him off bottles. Will we have to keep giving him one at daycare so long as other kids are getting them??

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Is the timing really that imperative or important?  I've never heard of another doctor so adament about it.  Can't you just smile and nod in the doctor's office and then do what works for you and your LO in this regard?  There must be other guidelines out there than this seemingly unusually rigid one.

Whatever you decide and however you approach it, remember he will not want bottles forever.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Arcain-how about replacing the milk/formula with water in the bottles-OR take him to get some big kid sippies. But, if bottles are what works for him, and you're down to 3 a day-smile and tell the pedi he's doing really well with sippy's. But if you don't have the bottles available, he will eventually drink from the sippy at school.

I loved packing up the bottles! such a pain to clean them all! I cannot wait to pack up the sippy's and diapers-but I have a while for those!

Sections
Shortcuts