February Infants & Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Re: February Infants & Toddlers

Arcain - just do whatever you want.  Obviously your LO won't be the only one missing the one year "deadline" if the other kids at daycare are doing the same!  Personally, I would be more inclined to give him 2 bottles for daycare.  Your pediatrician does not have authority to arrest you for this.  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Arcain - just give him the bottles. I'm sure you don't want him upset every day at daycare. My pedi wanted us off bottles at 12 months too. My kids are at home so it was easy for me to ditch the bottles and push the sippy cup- they didn't have to look at other kids still drinking out of bottles. 

You can switch him when he moves to the toddler room or something.

We decided to do the cows milk transition and then the bottle transition. By 13 months we were done with both.

My pedi did say that the longer you wait the harder it is. But he was using a two year old as an example- you've got a way to go before you're fighting with a two year old over a bottle. :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

I agree with others to not stress over the 1 year cutoff. Especially if he is seeing other kids around his age still using bottles.

It is amazing to see how the peer group and what they do affect the kids, even at a year or two old. When we moved DS at 18 months to a new daycare, where the kids wash their hands before and after meals and use little cups, it was interesting to see how he quickly picked up on those changes. And he is 2 and moved to the 2 year old room just a month ago where potty training is going on in school, and we can see how watching the other kids are really driving his views and interest in potty training. And since the slightly older kids in his room are able to take on and off clothes, he suddenly got this rage to master taking his on and off all by himself (caught us by complete surprise).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

KAM - you are so funny to think of me while brushing your teeth! I'm honored.

We took DS to the pedi yesterday.  Ready to label me mother-of-the-year? He has an ear infection. Possibly has had for some time. Aside from that, she suggested upping his food intake to 3 meals a day, making the breastmilk more supplementary, and starting him on sippy cups of water (like you said, KAM). So we'll try that, and once the infection is cleared up we will try sleep training. She said he doesn't NEED to eat twice per night after bedtime. She said it's somewhat uncommon for babies of this age to wake up like that. So, that's what I needed to hear. Bring on Ferber. Or Weissbluth. Or whichever book I can locate first.

Arcain - we totally ignored pedi's advice and DD had a morning and night bottle until 2. That said, if you are interested in giving it up (especially if you're already on a reduced schedule at home) coudl you try, as someone said, just having them put water in the bottles? He may just decide he doesn't want it if he's just getting water, but will not feel he is being singled out to not get what the other kids are getting.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Poppy, once his ear feels better maybe he'll automatically settle himself down if he wakes up and he might not even wake up if it was pain that was doing it.  As for not knowing or figuring it out - how would you know?!  You talked to everyone here and people who know you and DS in person and no one suggested his ears, and it's not like the symptoms are always observable without a scope.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

It is hard to know. DS was easy to tell when he had ear infections since he would get fussy, feverish, tugging at his ear all the time and super clingy especially at night, while DD is impossible to tell so far (we brought her in for a different issue, and then our pedi looked in both ears and said she had double ear infections - but we never knew and she did not show any of the usual signs that our pedi said usually indicates ear infections).

But if it has been a while with the infection, it may have been pain that driven those bad night spells - because I have been having ear infections myself this winter and while one was not too bad, one was so horribly painful - and worst at night - that I could not sleep or do much and then in the morning, it would ease for a while. And when I went to the doctor, it was not hurting that bad anymore, and he still said it looked awful. It definitely was a good reminder for me to sympathize why some babies get so fussy until they are gone or taking medication for it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

And when you're in bed, you feel the aches and pains of ear infections, or foot pain (that's me) or whatever much more than during the day when you are busy and thinking of other things.  Plus, being in a prone position might aggravate the ear infection pain, and when he's sitting up, crawling and whatever it hurts less. 

Actually, I think you ARE mother of the year, because instead of just insisting on sleep training, you realized that there was something else going on, and you acted on it.  You listened to your instincts that he wasn't being difficult, but that something else was wrong. 

Good job!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Oh Poppy - that's why he's waking up so much. Ear infections hurt much more when they lie down. Poor little guy. Once you get a few days of meds in him, he'll start to settle down.

Good luck!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Oh Poppy, I've got you beat for mother of the year-DS had a fever of 102 for days-I kept treating the fever without thinking to much about it...until in the middle of the blizzard DS said "my ear hurts." Okay, no biggie. Then about an hour later blood & goop dripping from his ear-he burst an ear drum. Now he's on the same dose of antibiotics as a horse would be on. it happens! :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Poppy - similar to KAM's story, my best friend was upset because she hadn't known her LO had a double ear infection, and her *pediatrician* told her that she hadn't noticed her own son's ear infection until his ear drum burst.  If even a pediatrician can't know for sure, how can we?  :)

cwag - I'm laughing at the peer group at daycare thing.  This morning DD picked a booger and ate it (SO disgusting) - I told her not to do that, and she said "(name) at daycare picks her nose and eats it".  Super.  ;)  On the cuter side, DD was pretending a block with a window was a camera when I picked her up yesterday, and then as I was getting her ready to go, another little girl picked up the block and started doing it the same way.  I freaking love kids!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

ugh, med, it was probably MY daughter who was modeling that lovely habit.  I have no idea HOW to get her to stop picking her nose and eating it!  Oh well.  I guess eventually she'll get old enough for humiliating peer pressure to get her to stop?  sigh.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

The peer pressure thing at daycare can be intense, for both good and bad.... DD wanted to potty train at 18 months because all the big kids at daycare used the potty, so she wanted to as well. And I know she eats way more fruits and vegetables there, since she will tell me she likes X food at daycare, but not at home. I have been very lucky that we've gotten the benefits of peer pressure as well as some of the downsides (nose picking-yuck!).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

CT - you are very sweet, but I can't take credit for an intuition-driven pedi appointment: it was his 6 month checkup, LOL! But I am relived to know that there was something going on, and to be treating it. Now when he wakes up at 10:30, 12:45, 2:00 and 4:00, I don't get mad. Of course, when the ears are better it will be a different story! KAM - the pedi said, "He has an ear infection... and a fever!" D'oh! I felt like an a$s. Medford, your story is comforting. Kids, like animals, can hide ailments almost too well. I always think of the time my baby cousin, I think he was 5 or 6 at the time, was tugging at his ear for a few days, so his mom finally took him to the pedi - and there was a bee lodged in his ear! Yikes!! (sorry to give you all nightmares)

Medford, Lissa - ack! My DD does that too! She does it with PRIDE! I swear, the more I tell her to stop, it's gross, people don't like that, the more defiantly she does it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Arcain - I agree with the others that you can smile and nod at the pedi IF that's what you prefer to do.  You are doing a great job cutting back on the bottles!  But I do think it's worth a conversation with the daycare about when they generally cut back or cut out bottles all together.  If they don't do it until 2, for example, and you're not comfortable with that, you might as well rip the bandaid off now.

Poppy - Hope he feels better and you get some more sleep very soon!!

You poor mamas with all these ailments and ear infections!!  DD has not had an ear infection yet (knock on wood!!), but I can absolutely imagine not knowing because she is so low-key.  Really looking forward to a three day weekend with her.  I am noticing that I can now reason with her a bit, which is so cool.  She'll be 2 this month.  The other day at bedtime she was whining that she wanted to lie in bed with me and I calmly repeated, You can come rock with mommy or you can go in the crib.  She thought about it and of course chose to rock with mommy ;o)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Poppy, that stinks about the ear infection, but don't feel guilty! I'm lucky that DS has never had one (that I know of!) but I know soooo many people who have taken a long time to figure it out. It's so hard when they can't tell you! In any case, hope clearing that up resolves some of the sleep issues!

Glad to know the peer pressure only gets worse :). I'm sure my DS will be picking his nose and eating it as soon as he's coordinated enough to. I think I'll just be grateful I don't have to pick it for him anymore -- he fights having his nose wiped sooooo much! Right now his thing is putting his mouth on everything: doors, windows, the floor, shoes...I've tried working on my stern "No!" when he does it but all I get back is a grin. Ahhh, I can see toddlerhood staring me down!

Thanks for the bottle advice. I do feel good that we're down to 3, and DH's solution of giving him 2 smaller ones for daycare has worked. We've been giving him a little more in bottles lately anyways. Poor kiddo has either had a stomach bug, been teething, or both. He threw up all over me on Valentine's Day and has been fussy at meals/ not eating much since. Moods have been good although today he was easily set off. Hoping he gets over whatever it is soon, but if not, we're seeing the pedi this week anyway.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Hey again, ladies! I need some advice for DS's 1st birthday (tomorrow, yikes!). I took the day off so we could do something fun together, and I'd been planning to take him to Imajine That in Lawrence. But I just called them to make sure they had stuff for really little ones and they reminded me that it's school vacation week and they'll be slammed. DS would definitely be overwhelmed by a big crowd, so now I'm stuck trying to think of something fun for a 1 year old that won't be mobbed this week! Any suggestions?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hi Arcain - You could do someplace like that first thing in the morning if that works w/ your schedule.  I've had good luck taking DD to the aquarium as soon as it opens.  Also, I'm not literally suggesting you take DS to the Disney Store, but you could do something simple like that.  DD was in HEAVEN when we went to the Disney Store a few weeks ago (and luckily she's too young to know that actually buying something is an option lol).

Has anyone converted their crib to a bed solely because it's difficult to get a LO in there?  I don't want to make the switch too soon, but I'm 5'1" and DD is around 30 lbs and it's getting difficult to put her down without waking her up!  I guess she usually goes down awake, so it doesn't really matter... I think I've talked myself out of it already LOL.  It's been a pain this week because she has a cold and there is a lot more rocking to sleep going on.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Lots of adjustments going on in our house...we moved last week, so there's been a lot of craziness going on in the last two weeks, between packing, moving, unpacking.  We spent a couple of nights at my parents' as a way to transition between the old and new house through something familiar, which I think was a good idea, but bedtime for the last 2 nights has been tough on DD (2yrs,4mos).  Generally, she does stories and bedtime with daddy and heads off to bed all smiles.  Last night she wanted her brother (5 mos) and I to go too, and then held on to me for dear life, crying so hard I thought she'd make herself sick.  I laid down with her and within a few minutes she was out, but it was tough.  I was telling her how it's hard for everyone, but we're going to be here for a long time, and as long as the 4 of us are together, that's the most important thing.  Of course, it's been a hard transition for me too...I hate change and I really hate disorder...and our move was delayed because of the storm, which had all of us even more off kilter! 

Any suggestions for the transition?  During the day she's so excited about her room and her bed and the house, but at bedtime it's like her anxiety comes out. 

And happy birthday to baby arcain!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

ooh, luv, that's tough.  I wonder if you could think of some sort of nighttime ritual that you could implement that would help her feel like this new place has some routines attached to it too?  Nothing too complicated, since you'd be continuing it indefinitely.  Maybe get a new book to read right before bed or sing a new song.  Maybe something like taking her out to pick a new toothbrush for the new house?  It sounds silly but to a 2 year old with a new baby in the house a chance to go out and pick herself a toothbrush might be brighter than diamonds.  Maybe a new stuffed animal or something. 

Eventually she'll get used to the change but maybe instituting some sort of new little routine will make her feel comfortable faster.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

adding as an afterthought/clarification:

I'm not suggesting you stop doing the things you used to do, that would just be more disorder.  I just thought an additional little thing might help ease her in. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

When my kids were about 20 months old we all went to Canada for 3 months so my DH could do some research. I ended up lying down with my twins for nap and bed. I'd creep out once they were asleep, It took a few weeks, but after that they were settled and I didn't need to stay in their room anymore.

Maybe your DH can stay in her room until she falls asleep? I did this again when my twins transitioned from cribs to a bed.

We recently got our twins a dream light - thanks to the incessant advertising on Sprout. They love it. We put it on at lights out and they are asleep in about 3 or 4 minutes. It shuts off by itself after 20 minutes.

Hang in there Luv - you'll be all unpacked in a week or so and the kids will get used to their new house. Congrats on the move. Once you're all settled I'm sure everyone will love their new surroundings.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to luvRIboy's comment:

Lots of adjustments going on in our house...we moved last week, so there's been a lot of craziness going on in the last two weeks, between packing, moving, unpacking.  We spent a couple of nights at my parents' as a way to transition between the old and new house through something familiar, which I think was a good idea, but bedtime for the last 2 nights has been tough on DD (2yrs,4mos).  Generally, she does stories and bedtime with daddy and heads off to bed all smiles.  Last night she wanted her brother (5 mos) and I to go too, and then held on to me for dear life, crying so hard I thought she'd make herself sick.  I laid down with her and within a few minutes she was out, but it was tough.  I was telling her how it's hard for everyone, but we're going to be here for a long time, and as long as the 4 of us are together, that's the most important thing.  Of course, it's been a hard transition for me too...I hate change and I really hate disorder...and our move was delayed because of the storm, which had all of us even more off kilter! 

Any suggestions for the transition?  During the day she's so excited about her room and her bed and the house, but at bedtime it's like her anxiety comes out. 

And happy birthday to baby arcain!!!

I'm looking forward to moving advice, too Luv. We are moving in just about a month, and while my DD is much younger than yours (8months), she'll still notice she's in a new house and I'm sure bedtime will be a disaster for a while.

I remember as a child I was always anxious at night time, too. Maybe it's a combo of being alone, and in the dark. Add in being alone in a new house and I'm sure it'd be worsened. Hoping it improves soon for you!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

awww, Luv, I feel for you and your DD.  What about a routine that involves saying goodnight to the familiar things in her room, like emphasizing what's the same?  Does she have any books about moving?  I wish I had specific recommendations... my DD usually does a lot better if she's seen it laid out in a book.

Re: nose picking - I think it's a pretty normal kid habit, I just think it's funny that DD is able to pin the rap on other kids at daycare now!  Speaking of: the other night at bedtime, she gave me a run down of which daycare teachers she loved "all the time", which ones she just loved "just a little", and which ones she didn't love, but "they do a good job".  Oy.  Really hoping she does NOT repeat that routine at day care.  I'm having a hard time at this age balancing validating her feelings and yet teaching her not to say certain things... she's only 2.5... similar situation where she classifies many of her relatives as "scary", and points out characters in books that look like them (very unflattering but generally quite accurate!!)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Med, that is hysterical, and don't worry, they are used to extreme candidness, lol.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

med-you'll appreciate that candidness when you want to say something, but you can't and DD dose. :) My sister picked the kids up from day care last week while I took DH for surgery, she took the long way home turning a 30 min trip into 1 hr 15 min. DD fell asleep, and DS was bored out of his mind. At dinner, DS kept commenting infront of my sister how she took the long way. :) We're finally recovering DD from that ill-timed nap!

Sections
Shortcuts