February Infants & Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Re: February Infants & Toddlers

Just an update: last night's bedtime went MUCH better.  Bath, teeth and pjs, then came downstairs, said good night to me and the baby and went up to read with Daddy.  DId refuse to go in her crib, and wanted to stay in our bed, but I'll take one victory at a time!  We're getting gates this weekend, then we might start the big girl bed...she might be ready for that!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Luv - Glad last night was better. I can only imagine how stressful this transition has been! You're totally right to take one victory at a time, but I bet she'll be adjusted to the new house before you know it! GL with the big girl bed!

Fram - Thanks for the suggestions on outings! I'll have to try the Disney store sometime. Unfortunately DS's morning nap (9 a.m.) makes it tough to go anyplace right as it opens, but hopefully that will change (though I'm not wishing for him to drop that nap yet!).

DS's birthday was yesterday, and we ended up with less time for an outing than I thought. We drove DH to work so I could have the car for the day, and DS met all his coworkers and charmed them. Then we went to get his birthday lunch treat -- bagels -- which he LOVED. The kid ate almost his entire bagel with cream cheese! Mealtimes are still a struggle for us so it was nice to have one that he just enjoyed. Made me consider whether I should lighten up on trying to give him a lot of balanced, nutritious food :-).

When DH came home, we did dinner and a birthday muffin from this awesome bakery near us, and then presents. It felt a little silly to go through the ritual. DS was ready to get out of his high chair by the time we sang Happy Birthday and was bewildered, though very curious, about the candle and song. And of course he loved the muffin! We gave him a few presents, including a photo book I had done of his first year. He smiled at the photos of himself but was mostly into the wrapping paper. We'll do a small family party with grandparents, etc., in a couple weeks. Sure he'll be equally confused about that! 12 month checkup is this afternoon.  I can't believe my baby boy is 1!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

happy birthday, little Arcain!  Sounds like a great day.

Luv - great news on bedtime.

KAM - that is too funny.  I agree, but in the meantime I hide the books with the unflattering comparison pictures when the relatives come over!

In other news, DD has croup!  Just started last night and, boy, what a scary sound to hear coming from your little one.  She actually slept pretty well considering, and the night nurse line was able to put me at ease about the fact that she was okay when she *wasn't* coughing and making the bad breathing noises.  Today we went to the pediatrician and she started crying, and therefore coughing, and every person in the office was walking by saying, "oh, wow, croup."  :)  She's doing well, though, actually seems more cheery today than yesterday.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Ugh, seems like so many people are sick these days! 

Boy am I exhausted. Had a rough night with DD last night. I noticed she hadn't been eating like her normal self in the past couple of days and last night completely explained it. She went to bed without eating at around 8 and woke up at 10 crying hysterically. The second I picked her up out of her crib she puked everywhere. She had a temp od 100.5 and was just miserable. Threw up her Tylenol and then ended up throwing up 5 more times, and woke up about every hour. Took her to the pedi this morning and they say it's just a virus, so I am spending today trying to get fluids in her. She is so tired and weak. It's awful! 

I hope everyone else's DD's and DS's are feeling better! 

Happy Birthday to baby Arcain, his Facebook photos are so cute!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Liz, hope your DD is feeling better soon. I know a few other mamas who have dealt with the stomach bug recently, it's going around like wildfire.

Happy birthday to your DS, Arcain. Sounds like it was a nice day, even if he didn't quite get it :)

Does anyone have advice on early risers? DD gets up earlier and earlier. Today was 430am. She's cranky after being up for even a few minutes, so today we treated it like a middle of the night waking, changed and gave her a bottle, and she fell back asleep. However, I didn't put her down because she was sleeping very lightly and would've woke right up. Adjusting her bedtime is a no-go- we can't keep her up any later because she really starts to melt down and I know that'd just have the opposite effect. Putting her down earlier would mean bedtime at 530pm which seems ridiculously early. Any tips?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Summer, I can't remember how old your DD is...so this might not apply.  I think it was KAM who mentioned the parenting advice she got from her inlaws about waking the baby for a 10, 10:30 feeding.  My DS is 5.5 mos, and I've noticed that whenever he's in a growth spurt, he, who usually sleeps from 8-8:30 to 6, will wake up earlier because he's hungry.  So on those days - like today! - I'll try to adjust him by putting him down at 8 as usual, then waking him at 10, 10:30 and feeding him again before I go to bed.  It seems to work for us. 

So sorry about all the sick kids!  Nothing worse, in my opinion, than a kid who can't really talk yet who is sick...try to take the positive spin on it...a sick kid almost always wants to snuggle, which is always welcome to me! 

Thanks for all the good thoughts about the new house/bedtime adjustment.  It is definitely an adjustment for all of us...but we're going to be at the new place for a long time, so I know that comparatively, this adjustment period is just a drop in the bucket! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to luvRIboy's comment:

Summer, I can't remember how old your DD is...so this might not apply.  I think it was KAM who mentioned the parenting advice she got from her inlaws about waking the baby for a 10, 10:30 feeding.  My DS is 5.5 mos, and I've noticed that whenever he's in a growth spurt, he, who usually sleeps from 8-8:30 to 6, will wake up earlier because he's hungry.  So on those days - like today! - I'll try to adjust him by putting him down at 8 as usual, then waking him at 10, 10:30 and feeding him again before I go to bed.  It seems to work for us. 

So sorry about all the sick kids!  Nothing worse, in my opinion, than a kid who can't really talk yet who is sick...try to take the positive spin on it...a sick kid almost always wants to snuggle, which is always welcome to me! 

Thanks for all the good thoughts about the new house/bedtime adjustment.  It is definitely an adjustment for all of us...but we're going to be at the new place for a long time, so I know that comparatively, this adjustment period is just a drop in the bucket! 

She's 8 months tomorrow and has been off ((most) night feedings for several months, so I'm hesitant to wake her just as she starts her deepest sleep. This early waking pattern has been happening for several weeks, so I don't think it's a growth spurt.

Ugh...today was even earlier...415am! I truly am at a loss. Maybe we should start giving her lunch- more food during the day? The thing is she wakes up TOTALLY alert and ready to go.

Any  ideas are welcomed!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Summer, my friend's triplets are also 8 months old, and they have added purees (carrot and pear that I saw) in addition to her bf'ing and supplementing with formula. They eat lunch.  No sleep issues...for now, anyway.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Ugh, Summer that is so frustrating!! I do know that some babies have a regression during big milestones, could maybe that be it? What is her schedule like? DD has been consitently sleeping 8-6 for about 3 months now (knock on wood) Her schedule looks something like this:

6- wake up, 6oz bottle.

8- breakfast (oatmeal with fruit)

9-10- nap

10- 6 oz bottle

10-12- play time or class or an outing.

12- lunch (meat with veggie)

12:30-2- nap (sometimes)

2- 6 oz bottle

2-4- playtime

4-5:30 - nap

6- dinner (meat or veggie)

7- bottle

8- bedtime.

Now, she sometimes is AWFUL at napping, but has been pretty good with night time sleep. Sometimes she does give a little shout out between 11-2, but if she doens't calm down in ten minutes I let her relax herself back to sleep. 

When she wakes up early like say 4:15, what time would she normally go down for a morning nap??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Med, Sorry about the croup, but glad she seems to be handling it okay! Some of my earliest memories are actually from when I had croup, and they're not actually bad. I just remember my mom taking me into the bathroom with the shower running full blast in the middle of the night to see if the steam would help. I think I thought it was kind of cool :-).

Liz, sorry your DD is sick, too! That's just awful! There is definitely a stomach bug going around, though. DS puked all over me on Valentine's Day and was just not into eating for several days. I got it worse than him shortly after, and then both of my parents (who babysat on Sat.) got it worse than me! Everyone's better now, thankfully. Is this cold/flu/bug season over yet??

Summer, wish I had advice, but we're dealing with a similar issue,  although not as horribly early! DS had been waking at 6:30 or later for a long time and all of a sudden it's 5 or 5:30 now, and he's clearly tired when he wakes up and often can't even make it to naptime. I suspect his has to do with food, too, since he's been ravenous when he gets up the last few days, but he won't eat much at meals and hasn't even finished all his bottles during the day.

Hopefully it's just a phase for both of us! How are DD's naps? Double-check me on this, but I *think* I remember one of Weissbluth's suggestions for a too-early wakeup was to push the morning nap back a bit? I could be totally off, but maybe worth checking?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Question: When did your babies start sitting and crawling? DD is 7 months and just started sitting on her own. She is still wobbly and needs the boppy behind her, but is doing well. She doesn't even attempt to crawl (although I know there is a huge range for that). She does roll over all the time, and if she sees an object she really wants, she will sort or try to manuever her body over to get it, but usually gets frustrated and gives up. With crawling, is it something I should be practicing with her, or just let her learn herslef? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to lizinboston's comment:

Question: When did your babies start sitting and crawling? DD is 7 months and just started sitting on her own. She is still wobbly and needs the boppy behind her, but is doing well. She doesn't even attempt to crawl (although I know there is a huge range for that). She does roll over all the time, and if she sees an object she really wants, she will sort or try to manuever her body over to get it, but usually gets frustrated and gives up. With crawling, is it something I should be practicing with her, or just let her learn herslef? 

My 8 month old DD has been sitting on her own since around 6 months. She's nowhere near crawling- she hates being on her belly more than 5 minutes and doesn't get up on all fours yet. She's starting to push up on her arms but that's about it. My understanding is that some babies crawl and some skip it all together, so I wouldn't worry too much. For what it's worth, my DD thinks it's hilarious when I crawl around on the floor, "showing" her how it's done. But it hasn't inspired her at all!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to Arcain's comment:

Med, Sorry about the croup, but glad she seems to be handling it okay! Some of my earliest memories are actually from when I had croup, and they're not actually bad. I just remember my mom taking me into the bathroom with the shower running full blast in the middle of the night to see if the steam would help. I think I thought it was kind of cool :-).

Liz, sorry your DD is sick, too! That's just awful! There is definitely a stomach bug going around, though. DS puked all over me on Valentine's Day and was just not into eating for several days. I got it worse than him shortly after, and then both of my parents (who babysat on Sat.) got it worse than me! Everyone's better now, thankfully. Is this cold/flu/bug season over yet??

Summer, wish I had advice, but we're dealing with a similar issue,  although not as horribly early! DS had been waking at 6:30 or later for a long time and all of a sudden it's 5 or 5:30 now, and he's clearly tired when he wakes up and often can't even make it to naptime. I suspect his has to do with food, too, since he's been ravenous when he gets up the last few days, but he won't eat much at meals and hasn't even finished all his bottles during the day.

Hopefully it's just a phase for both of us! How are DD's naps? Double-check me on this, but I *think* I remember one of Weissbluth's suggestions for a too-early wakeup was to push the morning nap back a bit? I could be totally off, but maybe worth checking?

Her naps are great at daycare (Tues-Fri); she'll nap from 9-10am and then again 1-3pm. Goes right down and falls asleep on her own, sleeps great. Those other 3 days at home...not so much. We have a bad habit of rocking her to sleep, so often she ends up napping in our arms. She'll usually stay asleep if we put her down, but she won't sleep as long, it'll end up being only 30-40 minutes at a time instead of 1-2 hours.

I'm thinking it might be so bad recently because our schedule hasn't been consistent- meaning she hasn't been going to DC as much- snow days, this week I'm on vacation, etc. I'm hoping we'll return to normal once we go back to the 4 day a week daycare next week.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Liz, my DS started sitting around the same time as your DD, and didn't crawl until he was almost 10 months. We had a long period where he was frustrated and trying to crawl but not getting it. I don't think there's really a way to teach them -- I think they just have to do it. Poor DS seemed to think doing a downward-facing dog type pose would somehow do the trick. After a few weeks of that, he started to figure it out :-).

I wouldn't worry, just encourage her and give her opportunities. It can be a frustrating time for everyone, especially if she wants to move and gets mad when she can't, but that's the great motivator, too!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

There is a huge range for crawling - and some do skip that phase... DS sat fairly early (around 6 months) but refused to try rolling until like 7 months and did not crawl via the army crawl until like 9 months - and refused to get his belly off the ground until 11 months. DD on the other hand is still wobbly while sitting (she is close to 6 months) but will roll now either direction but usually to her tummy (she loves being on her tummy) - and I think she will be on the move earlier as she is very active and already trying to pull up to standing.

DH spent soo much time trying to get DS to roll - even putting DS on a wedge on our bed, and DS just looked at him like "whatever! Leave me alone" and then one day, he started to roll to get something so we realized - when he is ready and wants to, he will do it.  Until then, just give them the opportunties to move around when you can :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Arcain - Can't believe he's a year old!  (Or that mine is almost 2!!!)

Summer - My experience with DD has been that when she starts waking up earlier (under a year and now), after a week or two it gradually gets later and later.  Hope that happens for you guys!  The napping situation (shorter at home) sounds exactly like DD when she was under a year.  When she's home do you put her for more naps since she doesn't sleep as long?  I think she should still only be awake for 2-3 hours, so she'd need 3-4 naps on those days.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to framerican51008's comment:

Arcain - Can't believe he's a year old!  (Or that mine is almost 2!!!)

Summer - My experience with DD has been that when she starts waking up earlier (under a year and now), after a week or two it gradually gets later and later.  Hope that happens for you guys!  The napping situation (shorter at home) sounds exactly like DD when she was under a year.  When she's home do you put her for more naps since she doesn't sleep as long?  I think she should still only be awake for 2-3 hours, so she'd need 3-4 naps on those days.

Yes, when she's home she ends up having at least 3 naps, vs 2 at daycare. A daycare day looks like this:

lately between 445-5:30 wake up, 6oz bottle

630 breakfast (oatmeal and fruit)

730- at daycare- playtime

8am- 8oz bottle

9am-10am nap

10-12 playtime

12am- 8oz bottle

1-3 nap

3- pickup, go home, play til 330-4

4- 6 oz bottle

5pm- dinner

6pm- bed

Somehow I missed kar's and liz's comments before...she's been on solids since 5 months, but just breakfast and dinner. I'm thinking we need to add lunch, too. Liz- if she's up before 5 she needs a short nap by 7, before she even GOES to daycare. It's awful, she's sooo cranky and hates everything.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Summer, my DD is 7 1/2 months, and we had the same thing happen about 3 weeks ago - wake ups moving earlier and earlier.  She's back on track and I was going to suggest that it is a phase, but here are the other things that were happening the may or may not be related:

She started eating lunch. At first we gave her an extra serving of oatmeal with a fruit or veggie, but she was getting too full and spitting up the next bottle, so I switched her lunch to yogurt. Couldn't hurt to try.

We started putting her down to bed awake.  I always rocked her to sleep, but she seemed to be getting squirmier and more unconfortable, like she wanted to stretch out, so I started putting her down in that dream-like state, then finally awake.  She seems to go into a deeper sleep when she nods off on her own, and even more so now that she flips herself onto her side/stomach and moves into different positions during the night.

Adding to the milestone theory, though, in the past week she has started to pull up and stand, and started to cut her first tooth.

No real advice, I guess, just some commiseration.  Hang in there!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Luv - congrats on the move! It is stressful for everyone (I remember well), but must be so nice to be in your new house, knowing you will be there for years! I'm glad bedtime has been going better.

Arcain - happy birthday to your little man! Your day sounds absolutely perfect! Honestly, we have been to Imajine That (WHY do they have to misspell it?!) several times and it's really been recently (DD is almost 2.5) that she's enjoyed it the most.

Summer - Do you have to go in and get her? Sometimes my DS wakes up like that - totally alert and chatting to himself. I don't go in. Sometimes he falls back to sleep, sometimes he cries and I'll go in for a second to comfort and give him the binky. Oh, and FWIW, my pediatrician said that now that DS is 6 monhts, he should be getting three full meals of food a day, and breastmilk should start to be supplementary. I was surprised! I don't remember DD's pediatrician (different) saying that. So now we have DS on 3 meals a day of pureed foods and cereal.

Sorry to hear about all the sickness! I cannot WAIT for sick season to be OVER. I'm done with it.

I truly feel like I am the only person on the planet with a 6.5 month old baby who has never slept through the night, and in fact usually wakes up at least 4 times. Even my pediatrician sort of hesitated when I asked about sleep, and said, "Well... sometimes there are some stragglers who still aren't sleeping long streteches at this age..." Granted, he's had a cold pretty much since the day he was born, so often wakes up because he can't breathe through his nose. Do any of you have a solution for that other than trying to elevate his head and using saline nasal drops? I will find out next week if the ear infection has cleared up, then I will be sleep training. This is ridiculous.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Poppy - do you have a cool mist humidifier in his room? It helps keep the air moist so they can sleep better. And since he's eating food - make sure he gets some yogurt. The probiotic will help his general immune system and may help him become better able to shake off a cold. Try some YoBaby from Stonyfield.

Good luck! I think I jumped for joy when my twins started sleeping 6pm-6am at 5 months old.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Poppy do you have the Nose Frida? If not, go buy one today! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Yes, we have a cool mist humidifier, but hadn't really given yogurt much thought! Pedi said it's fine, so I think I will run out and buy some today!!

Liz - No, what is that?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Sorry to hear about all the sick babies.  I hope they are better soon! 

Acrain - Happy belated bday to your DS!

Liz- DS has been sitting since 6 months but he has not started crawling yet.  He rolls around to get where he needs to go.  Just like how you explained...Although he did try and get one knee underneath himself this past weekend but hasnt tried that since.

Summer - I am going to through the same thing with the early morning awaking and if I should starat feeding him lunch.  DS (7.5 months) Is a pretty good sleeper and sleeps 6:30 pm - 6 am but recently he has been awaking up at 5:15. UGH!  I end up turning off the monitor (I can still hear him) and leave him in bed for as long as possible.  This morning was 5:45.  I was also thinking that maybe I need to start adding in lunch as well.  He eats breakfast (oatmeal and Fruit) and dinner (oatmeal, veg and fruit) He only nurses 1st thing in the morning and then gets expressed milk from the bottle the rest of the day since I work full time.  And the last 2 mornings he has only nursed for 3 minutes!  Is that normal that they start giving up a feeding?  I was also wondering if I should start with lunch.  I called the doctors about a month ago and the nurse said to hold off until his 9 month appt but what if he is hungry?!  He eats a lot at breakfast and dinner.  I think he like food more than the milk but I know that he should get most of his nutriuion from BM.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

just reading all the posts while I was typing mine.  So funny how different doctors gives different advice.  Maybe Ill try yogurt too! 

When should I start with meat?  I read 9 month but Liz your DD already eats meat?  When did you start?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Pugs - my pedi said when DS has mastered grabbing and eating little things like puffs or cheerios, we can give him things like shredded chicken! I was shocked, but she said they can happily gum it to pieces. Not sure I'll be brave enough for a while! Stressed enough that he will choke on a puff.

Liz - meant to respond to you - DS is 6.5 months and can sit without support and has just started lunging forward like he is going to crawl, but he does not roll over! I suspect he can but just chooses not to, but who knows. All babies are certainly different!