February Infants & Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Re: February Infants & Toddlers

Poppy, it is a MUST have. Looks so gross, but trust me it gets EVERYTHING out. You literally suck the snot out of your babies nose with your mouth, but don't worry, it has a filter so you don't get any boogies in your mouth. 

ok, this link did not work. Look up Nose Frida on Google and it will direct you to where you can buy them.  

http://www.diapers.com/p/nosefrida-the-snotsucker-nasal-aspirator-70269?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_D&utm_term=ZZO-001&utm_campaign=GooglePLA&CAWELAID=1338637213&utm_content=pla&ca_sku=ZZO-001&ca_gpa=pla&ca_kw=%7Bkeyword%7

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Eewwww.  That said, I'm ordering one tonight.  DD is very snotty and we both hate the bulbs.  Thx Liz!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

A snot siphon...omg.  I'd do it, and thank goodness for the filter, but I'm glad dogs don't get stuffy noses, lol.

liz, I really came by to comment on your adorable avatar pic - love the pink snow suit and "pose."  :)  Hope you've been feeling better.  Hugs!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to poppy609's comment:

Pugs - my pedi said when DS has mastered grabbing and eating little things like puffs or cheerios, we can give him things like shredded chicken! I was shocked, but she said they can happily gum it to pieces. Not sure I'll be brave enough for a while! Stressed enough that he will choke on a puff.

Liz - meant to respond to you - DS is 6.5 months and can sit without support and has just started lunging forward like he is going to crawl, but he does not roll over! I suspect he can but just chooses not to, but who knows. All babies are certainly different!

Pugs, my DD (8mo) has had jarred chicken (hated it unless it was mixed with applesauce) and we just tried turkey last night. The turkey was the first food I can honestly say she hated right off the bat and actually SPIT it out of her mouth and gagged, lol. We don't eat a ton of meat in our house, so I think I'll hold off before trying again.

Poppy, my DD DID choke on a puff today! Tried giving her lunch and she wasn't really into it. She had some mashed banana and some puffs, and sure enough she started choking on a puff. Luckily 1) my mom (a nurse) was here and 2) DD was able to cough/spit it up before we had to do the bang-on-the-back move for infant choking...really scary. I'm sort of dreading finger foods for this reason...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My brother eats meat, and his wife is a vegetarian, and they have 2 kids.  The first one spit meat out from the beginning and now, 10 years later, is still a vegetarian by his choice.  The other lapped it up from the first offering, and she still eats meat with Daddy.  Funny - you don't always think of such things being genetic, but...?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

A snot siphon...omg.  I'd do it, and thank goodness for the filter, but I'm glad dogs don't get stuffy noses, lol.

liz, I really came by to comment on your adorable avatar pic - love the pink snow suit and "pose."  :)  Hope you've been feeling better.  Hugs!

Thank you, Kar :) I bet Gracie is having a ball with all of this snow!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Only when she can still do her business, lol, but she's doing well, thanks.  Good to see you!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Personally, the idea of the canned/jarred meats always kind of grossed me out, so with DD, I never gave any to her.  I waited for things like chicken, ground beef, etc, until she could eat the pieces.  I used yogurt, cheese and beans (made baby-friendly bean purees with a little olive oil and lemon juice) to get her protein. 

We just started DS on purees this week (he'll be 6 months on the 4th).  We've had squash so far, will try peas tonight.  My pedi suggested starting with the veggies and fruits, then adding cereal in later when I want to bulk up his meals.  He loves to eat so far, and since he's started to get a little distracted while nursing or having a bottle lately, I think it'll be good to have this to add to the routine.  I was avoiding the solids until after we moved...didn't want to do to many changes (for any of us!) all at once. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlmostHere08. Show AlmostHere08's posts

Poppy - DD didn't STTN until 3 weeks before her 1st birthday. It was tough. She'd nurse every 3 to 4 hours at night. I didn't mind because she was still in our room, but I think that was the reason why she would.

Kids just do things the way they want. We transitioned her off bottles by 10 months and she had no problem with sippy cups. Now we're working on eating with a fork and I think at 17 months she probably should already be doing that? I don't know. She loves food. Loves to eat and honestly the only thing she doesn't really care for is steak, but I think it's because she can't chew it. She got her first tooth at 16.5 months and the 2nd a week later. Her new thing for the last couple of week has been taking her pants off, multiple times a day. I don't know if that means she is ready to start potty training, but I did put a potty chair in the bathroom and she sits on it when either DH or I are in there. I think she is still a bit young, but I didn't think it could hurt to have it there. Anyone else potty train before 2?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Liz - like Nov said - eeewwww! but a great idea! I am going to look for one. And ditto Kar - love your avatar picture! Reminds me I'm very behind on checking the facebook page.

Summer - scary!!! I am terrified of an actual choking situation. When I gave DS a puff the other day, it instantly triggered his gag reflex and he (very neatly, I must say) threw up all the sweet potato I had just given him. I felt so bad! Even though he never stopped smiling. I think I'll be waiting awhile. I remember with DD I actually sucked on them for a minute before giving them because I they weren't dissolving fast enough on their own for my comfort!

That's funny, Kar! My DH and I always joke with his sister because she is pretty much a vegan now (in her 30's) but would eat ANYTHING as a child. My MIL likes to tease her by saying she has a photo of her walking around chewing a turkey drumstick. DH was the opposite - very picky eater, didn't like much meat, growing up, and now is quite the carnivore. Funny how these things develop, and how much has to do with genetics versus choice.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

my DD never took to the jarred meat mixtures - I tried some myself and I have to say it was pretty gross.  However, she *loved* the Sprout brand meals with meat in them, particularly the beef lasagna.  The meat isn't pureed, though, it's like little chunks of ground beef.  She wasn't able to handle it until she was a bit older.  When I first gave it to her, I think she was expecting that things that arrived on a spoon would be smooth, and the mixed texture (puree with chunks in it) would cause her to gag.

Of course, now at 2.5 she won't go near lasagna, pasta, the list goes on and on... many things she used to enjoy.  They really just do whatever they want.  It's annoying to me on the inside, but I try to ignore it on the outside.  Plus take solace in stories like some of those above (plus my DH!) who were super picky as kids and eat totally normally as adults.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, Poppy - I find what drives us to do what we do and how we do it so interesting.  It's funny how things can change.  Going from being an omnivore to vegan, that's really the extreme ends of the spectrum of choice!

Oh, and I know meat doesn't hurt a LO early (not with respect to choking).  I was not able to digest soy or dairy based formulas, and the thing I finally started to thrive on (I nearly died before this) was a meat-based infant formula.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Does anyone know why babies cannot have cow's milk, but can eat yogurt, cottage cheese, etc?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Yogurt and cheeses are partially digested by the bacteria/enzymes used to create them. That is also why some lactose intolerant people can eat certain (usually aged) cheeses. Cow's milk is different enough from human milk that it needs a little breaking down before small (less than about a year old) babies can digest it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In addition to what amy-lynn said, I've also read that many (but of course not all) babies can digest some cow milk before the 1 year mark, but that it doesn't have the right balance of nutrients to be a healthy replacement for the b-milk or formula that the babies under 1 year need.  So it's discouraged to let babies drink it because it might replace their intake of the b-milk or formula that they need, but okay as an ingredient or whatever for (most) babies.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Just curious- when did those of you with older babies/toddlers move them from infant car seats (if you used them) to a convertible car seat? Our 8mo. DD was just about to outgrow her baby bucket, plus my back is dying from lifting and carrying it plus her weight.

Today DH installed Diono Radian RXT into both of our cars. We both have small cars (mine a Corolla and his similar). Pretty sure no one will be able to sit in the passenger seat now! A new car is on the very distant) horizon.

I'm not having a good time about it...between the new car seats, now needing to carry her into places and use the actual stroller vs. snap & go, the fact she's just getting so big...it's too much for me! I've been awfully cranky all day. I'm normal, right??

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

summer... each phase is so fast it seems! we are changing to convertibles for our 5 month old since we are giving up lugging her in the bucket and with a two year old too (and just one parent handling drop off for both kids or pick up), we are now doing where we use the ergo, load the baby into it and then take DS out of his seat. It was quite an adjustment. Each time we had to change a car seat or routine, it was tough to adjust. Like now, with DS, I can not just pick him up to rush into daycare because I have a baby in the carrier and I miss being able to just pick him up and go somewhere when he stalls.  

I know with DS, we switched to convertible around 4-5 months too (he got too heavy for the bucket) and he seemed to like the convertible more. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Summer - I'm on the other side of the spectrum.  I feel no need to rush things :)  So here is an option for you.  Keep the bucket in the car and use it as a convertible.  My 18 month old is just at the weight limit for his 22lb bucket seat so we finally have to bring in the convertible seat.  It's been months since I've actually lugged him in the bucket, but I like having him in the comfy inclined position for long car rides (so he can sleep easier) and I also liked have the option to lug the seat out of the car if he did happen to fall asleep (and I want him to stay asleep).  We're considering turning our almost 3 year old around to be front facing and I can't wait for that!!!  

Good luck with your adjustment!  We went from a little VW Golf to a wagon when we had to go to the big kid seats.  Why must they make them so huge???  How do people in Europe manage to have kids with all those small cars they drive?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Wow, yeah, I'm on the other end of the spectrum for carseats, too. DS just turned 1 and we're still using the bucket seat. We'd been planning to install the convertible seat until recently, but decided that since he still fits it fine (he's only 20 lbs and 28 inches) and still loves riding in it, we'll just wait until we have to switch! I figure at a certain point he won't want to be reclined so much. That's already a problem with the stroller, but he doesn't seem to care in the car.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to Trouble30's comment:

Summer - I'm on the other side of the spectrum.  I feel no need to rush things :)  So here is an option for you.  Keep the bucket in the car and use it as a convertible.  My 18 month old is just at the weight limit for his 22lb bucket seat so we finally have to bring in the convertible seat.  It's been months since I've actually lugged him in the bucket, but I like having him in the comfy inclined position for long car rides (so he can sleep easier) and I also liked have the option to lug the seat out of the car if he did happen to fall asleep (and I want him to stay asleep).  We're considering turning our almost 3 year old around to be front facing and I can't wait for that!!!  

Good luck with your adjustment!  We went from a little VW Golf to a wagon when we had to go to the big kid seats.  Why must they make them so huge???  How do people in Europe manage to have kids with all those small cars they drive?

I'm not purposely trying to rush things...since DD is rapidly approaching the limit where the top of her head should be more than 2 inches from the top of the seat, it was going to come sooner or later. It was a height thing more than a weight thing.

I do have a herniated disc in my back that I reinjured 2 weeks ago, and couldn't walk without assistance nevermind pick up or carry DD much less the bucket. So losing the added 15 pounds of the bucket seat is a welcomed change, at least. The new seats are much more open and will be easier to get her into/out of versus maneuvering to get her into the bucket when it's already in the car.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Gosh I can't remember when we switched DD to the convertible.  I think it was around 8 or 9 months that we installed a convertible seat in my car because my shoulder/back couldn't take it anymore.  DH continued to use the infant seat for another year since it went up to 32 lbs.  (I stressed over it, but every time I checked, she really did still fit!)  Now I'm debating whether to turn DD around.  I've always said I would be in no rush, but it is a pretty tight squeeze behind the passenger seat - and even I can barely sit there :o)

Poppy - I had a friend whose LO didn't sleep through the night until around/after 6 months.  You're not alone, though I'm sure that only makes it a very tiny bit better! 

Between this cold and the fact that DD has been waking up for the past two weeks, I am wiped out.  Hoping to break her habit in the next couple days.  The past couple of times she has had a cold, the waking up has turned into a habit, which never happened when she was younger.  Boo!!!  On the upside, we celebrated DD's bday this weekend and we three had a lovely weekend.  I can't believe she is 2!!  We did a bunch of little things - story time, cupcakes, someone else's bday party, Disney store.

ETA: Oh and I feel like I have officially joined the 2 yo club!!!  I thought it was because of her cold, but DD officially will not eat dinner anymore.  It's so frustrating, but for now we'll continue to do what we have always done and hope she goes back to normal.  Easier said than done though - hard to put your kid to bed knowing she hasn't eaten since lunch!  I always knocked on wood knowing that she could stop eating anything at any time, but dang I hoped it wouldn't happen!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

My DD is a petite 7.5 month old, weighing in at 15lbs and about 26 inches long. I switched her to the convertible last week and am so happy I did. She HATED her bucket, the way it was angled made her puke/spit up way more and even though she isn't really heavy, I was sick of lugging it around. We have 2 Roundabout 55's made by Britax, and since they start at 5lbs, I had no issuse switching her so early. Now she actually chills out in her seat instead of whining. The only thing that is a pain is grocery shopping. She is still too wobbly to sit in a cart and without the bucket, it's next to impossible. I really need to learn how to use the Bjorn by myself! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

In response to Trouble30's comment:

Off topic, but Trouble I must say I find it nice to know that your DS is 18 mos and 22lbs. I am constantly stressing about DD's weight. It's pretty much all I think about! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

Indeed, Poppy - I find what drives us to do what we do and how we do it so interesting.  It's funny how things can change.  Going from being an omnivore to vegan, that's really the extreme ends of the spectrum of choice!

Oh, and I know meat doesn't hurt a LO early (not with respect to choking).  I was not able to digest soy or dairy based formulas, and the thing I finally started to thrive on (I nearly died before this) was a meat-based infant formula.

Wow, Kar, scary! Did you have failure to thrive? DD ended up in the hospital for three days in October, because they thought she may be headed down that road. Thankfully, she wasn't and was fine. Must have been so scary for your parents! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Liz, my DD was also 15 lb at 6 months and 21 pounds at 18 months.  Try not to worry about it!  And if you have one of those doctors that makes you worry about it based on nothing other than the number on the scale (e.g. she's eating, gaining)... maybe get a new doctor!