February Infants & Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Re: February Infants & Toddlers

Summer, I was a little aggravated by the car seat change as well. We moved DS shortly after his 9-month check up when they told me he was 29 inches (thinking now they were off as he was only 29.5 at his 12-month). Anyway, I loved the infant seat and how easy it was to do an errand with the snap & go. Of course, the infant seat was getting really heavy so I guess it was time for the change.

I have a question about bottles. I had heard or read about phasing them out when DS turned one but the pedi said it's ok to do it by age 2. Guessing she meant morning and pre-bedtime bottles are ok but he should use a cup during the day but I'm not really sure. We finished switching from formula to milk (took a couple of weeks) so maybe I should've ditched the bottles at the same time?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

TC - Most pedis say to get off all the bottles at age one. And those who don't usually say to get rid of all bottles except morning and evening by 18 months. My pedi was certainly in the camp that the longer you wait, the harder it is. You'll be surprised at how much more attached your two year old will be than your 12 month old.

That being said, if you're not ready - then by all means feel free to wait. I also did the milk/formula and bottle/sippy transition at different times. I thought changing the delivery device and what was inside might be too much at once. We were still on 4 bottles a day so I dropped the middle two and switched to sippy cups for those. After a week I ditched the other two bottles. My DD cried the second morning when she got the cup and that was it. No more tears...transition done.

My twins are now 3 1/2 and I'm having a MUCH harder time getting rid of the sippy cups. They cry and don't drink more than a sip (even though they know how) - 'I want my sippy - I don't want a big kid cup!!!"

Good luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

That's so interesting, lily... My DD is totally taken in by anything that's labeled as being for "big kids"!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Liz - Yeah, both my kids are skinny!  Always on the low end of the curves, in fact DS was 1%-ile at his 9 month visit.  My doc never worried since they were gaining on their own curves well, but it didn't stop me from obsessing!  I can't tell you how to not obsess, but I can tell you that once they reach the 1 year mark somehow you relax.  And both of them are strong as oxen albeit skinny :)

Summer - sounds like you've made peace with the changes!  Fantastic!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

We switched both DS and DD from the bucket seat to the convertible one around 9 months-they were both much happier to be in more space. They could have stayed to 1 year weigth wise, but it wasn't worth it. Now I'm waiting until DD turns 2 before we forward face her. I'm looking forward to that. THankfully she's fine rear facing still-DS hated it and we turned him at 18 months when we traveled and the carseat we used was only forward facing...once he had a taste there was no going back.

Mislily-can you start the big kid cup with some fun funky straws? I took DS' sippy's away, but he still gets covered cups with straws occassionally-he was off of them by 3.5, but I think I had the harder time with it than DS did. the whole baby growing up thing. Now that DD is on sippy's I'm looking forward to the freedom of no more sippy's-but I have sometime before thsoe can go away.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

First off, I just want to give a huge shout out and show of appreciation for all of you who are stay-at-home moms.  I spent all day yesterday with my 2 kids, and while 7 of the 9 hours we were alone were wonderful and I loved (we baked a cake, played in the sink, colored, built towers and made the baby laugh), those other 2 were absolutely the longest and most brutal I have ever experienced (2 year old refused to nap, kept waking the 5 month old, and we were all crying at one point).  I was in bed by 8:30 last night, I was so exhausted. 

On the car seat discussion...like several said, we kept DD in her bucket until she couldn't fit in it anymore, but after about 6-8 months, we used it as the car seat we kept in my husband's car...it allowed us to stall on having to buy two new carseats at once!  This time, we're thinking we'll buy a new seat for our 2 year old (the kind that can pare down to a booster eventually) and start the transition of the almost 6 month old into that seat.  For us, it's more about the heaviness of lugging the seat than it is about the kids outgrowing it! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

HAHA Luv! I am a SAHM and your post made me smile! It is super hard, but I love it, although I only have one baby, you have a baby and a toddler, that's A LOT.  I go to bed at 8-8:30 almost every night now. 

Trouble, thanks for the input. DD is actually 18%-tile so that makes me feel a little bit better. I guess being skinny is nothing to complain about! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Every time I spend the day with my friend and her 3 yo and three 8 month olds I am in more awe of what she has to do non-stop every day.  Motherhood is the toughest job on earth for sure!!  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlmostHere08. Show AlmostHere08's posts

Liz - My DD was 18lbs 5.5 ozs at her 1 year. We go on the 11th for her 18 month and I don't expect her to be much over 20lbs, if she even hits 20. She eats constantly and is very active. As long as she is gaining (even an oz) they are ok with her weight.

DD was in her bucket seat until just shy of 16 months (switched her on New Years). She still hadn't met the weight requirement, but she looked really squished and her head was at the top of the seat. I don't know that I would switch her forward facing at two or not. Right now we are struggling to get her to sit in her seat so we can leave!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I think if I had waited for DD to hit the weight requirement on her Graco 32 she would have been 3 years old before she was out of the bucket!  I think we switched her at around 9 or 10 months because her shoulders were too high above the slots where straps come out of the back of the seat and her head was so close to the edge at the top. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Now you all have me wondering if we should switch DS. The shoulder straps in his Graco 30 are still fine but there isn't a ton of slack when we put him in. His head looks to be about 2 in. from the top, and I think someone said that's the limit? I never heard that one.

I think part of why we're waiting is that we have a convertible from my SIL and I'm hemming and hawing over the "never take a used carseat or crib" guidelines. Her older kid is 5, so the seat is 5 years old at most, and I trust her, for what that's worth. Have others of you taken used carseats? Is this truly a guideline you need to follow, or is it one of those things the experts say to prevent people from doing extreme things like using a 20 year old cracked seat?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I think a used carseat is fine as long as you know for sure it hasn't been in an accident and as long as it hasn't expired.  Also, in terms of carseat straps, I'm pretty sure that when they are rear-facing it's OK for the straps to be below their shoulders (but not when they are forward-facing).  I'm not sure if there is a point at which the straps are too low though - probably by the time their head gets too high.

Does anyone have a convertible seat, rear-facing, that isn't at much of an incline??  Mine is inclined just as much as an infant seat would be.  DH's isn't even though it's the same seat, but a newer model.  As far as I can tell from the manuals, they are both installed correctly.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Arcain-FWIW "they" say a car seat expires 6 years after its manufactured-apparently the styrofoam starts to break down-and won't do as well to project your child in an accident. So if you did take the seat that's 5 years old-see when its manufactured, and that will let you know how long you have until technically its expired and should be off the road. Same with bike helmets.

selfish mommy alert: So, it looks like DD is coming down with a cold-and tomorrow I have a ME day scheduled, hair appointment, possibly a pedi, some shopping planned, totally centered around ME. And I really fear that she'll be sick and I'll have to cancel it all. I may really cry if I have to cancel my day tomorrow. DH can't take the day since this is his last week in his current job...sigh. Tomorrow is the last day I can take off and not be responsible for daycare drop off/pick up. DH's new job makes it difficult for him to help out with it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Used is fine as long as not expired (ours have manufacture date stickers on them) and you trust the person who says it hasn't been in an accident.

The safety rule for all rear facing carseats (bucket and convertible) is that the kid's head needs to be a certain distance below the top of the shell.  Can't remember if it's 1 or 2 inches, but it says this in the manuals we have had (most of which are up as PDF files on the manufacturer websites if you can't find yours).  This was definitely the switching factor for us from bucket to convertible - DD at 2.5 could still be in the bucket by weight.

KAM - I completely understand that.  My DD has been sick for the last two weekends (first stomach, then croup, then a random high fever) and I missed a ton of work and am all stressed out, and we had to cancel multiple fun plans we had with her and with other friends with kids, plus a special grown up brunch out with our good friends who are moving away.  Obviously my first concern was DD, but that doesn't mean I didn't also feel really, REALLY disappointed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

KAM, maybe it's just a temporary sniffle and she'll be OK tomorrow.  I've thought I was getting a cold about 1000 times this year, but only actually got sick once.  There's hope for your day!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Awe thanks guys-I knew y'all would appreciate the dreamed of ME day. Rare that I actually schedule it.

I meant to meantion I give shout out to SAHM and single parents! I had to do both bedtimes last night, and will when DH travels, and boy two kiddos at bed time is tough!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thanks, all. I'll check the manufacture date on the seat SIL gave me!

KAM, that stinks! You totally have a right to be disappointed! It's good to see someone articulate that. I find myself in mini guilt-spirals a lot when DS is sick or in a bad mood. I do feel bad and want to help him, but dang it, it's okay to feel bad for ourselves too! Though I don't always practice what I preach, I find it's better to admit that kind of stuff, because otherwise I'm resentful toward DS and mad at myself! In any case, I really hope you get your "Me" day!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

KAM, I totally feel you. DD ended up in the hospital the weekend of my 30th birthday. I felt AWFUL that I was so dissapointed to miss my party that DH had planned, but I was looking forward to it for a long time. You are normal to have these feelings! Momma needs a break, too! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

You girls have me thinking about moving DS into a convertible car seat.  He is getting heavy to carry around in the bucket seat. 

Fram - I was doing some research online today and it looks like Chicco is coming out with the nextfit car seat and has 9 different positions.  Its pricey at $300. 

KAM - Hopefully all will work out and you'll get your ME day.  That sounds so nice!

DS is so stinking cute these days.  He has learned to wave good bye and he is so proud of himself!  He has the biggest smile when he does it.  Bup, his grandfather, taught him and he was pretty proud of himself too.  On the other hand MIL texted me today to see if she could give him a whole carrot to suck on.  He doesnt have any teeth yet.  Since she watched him later than normal on last week I packed him dinner so she could feed him.  Now she thinks its a free for all!  I gave her some MUM MUM's for a snack today and told her to give him that.  I just started giving him a snack over the weekend in the afternoon.  I called the doctor to ask about feeding him lunch and they told me to hold off until his 9 month appt.  She is always trying to rush things with him.  DH's cousin also has a baby who is 11 months and she wants to compare them and they are 4 months apart.  That's a lot in baby months! I know she means well and he is in good hands with her but jeesh!  Sorry for the vent! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to pugslove's comment:

You girls have me thinking about moving DS into a convertible car seat.  He is getting heavy to carry around in the bucket seat. 

Fram - I was doing some research online today and it looks like Chicco is coming out with the nextfit car seat and has 9 different positions.  Its pricey at $300. 

KAM - Hopefully all will work out and you'll get your ME day.  That sounds so nice!

DS is so stinking cute these days.  He has learned to wave good bye and he is so proud of himself!  He has the biggest smile when he does it.  Bup, his grandfather, taught him and he was pretty proud of himself too.  On the other hand MIL texted me today to see if she could give him a whole carrot to suck on.  He doesnt have any teeth yet.  Since she watched him later than normal on last week I packed him dinner so she could feed him.  Now she thinks its a free for all!  I gave her some MUM MUM's for a snack today and told her to give him that.  I just started giving him a snack over the weekend in the afternoon.  I called the doctor to ask about feeding him lunch and they told me to hold off until his 9 month appt.  She is always trying to rush things with him.  DH's cousin also has a baby who is 11 months and she wants to compare them and they are 4 months apart.  That's a lot in baby months! I know she means well and he is in good hands with her but jeesh!  Sorry for the vent! 

I feel like older generations are so used to how they did things, that they think we should still be doing things that way. And who can blame them- I'm sure when we're their age we'll probably think the same way...old habits are hard to break I suppose.

We had a similar experience with MY grandmother who, when my DD was 4 months, told us we needed to start feeding her solids then and "feed her everything" or else she was going to become a picky eater. She also told us that we entertained her too much and just needed to leave her on the floor with toys by herself. Yeah, at 4 months, not happening ......of course I didn't know better and got defensive.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

KAM - I know exactly how you feel. I was sure that once my twins got to preschool I'd have some extra time to myself. But it's a joke. They are in school for 2 1/2 hours 3x a week. Not enough time for a cut and color - it's got to be one or the other. (One of the other moms said she feel like it would be easier to just read a book in the parking lot at the school.) And, as many of you know, my mom got sick just as they were entering school, so I've spent most of that "free time" visiting her in hospitals, rehab centers and at home. I had 3 or 4 special things to do with DH and the kids around Christmas that all got cancelled because of colds and ear infections. I absolutely had a pity party and shed some tears when I had to cancel our reservations to the Teddy bear Tea at the Four Seasons. It was going to be a really special treat for them...and me!

To top it all off, we had the 2ft blizzard on my birthday! so my special dinner date with DH got cancelled too!

I really hope you get your "me" day. It's so important. Maybe if your LO isn't too sick, you can still go.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Random question: I have some of those giant Lego-like blocks that I got secondhand a few months ago and have been storing them until DS would be interested. DS is getting really into blocks (just throwing and banging them for now :-)), so I was going to get them out for him, but I want to clean them first. Can this kind of stuff be put in the dishwasher? It doesn't say on the package, but since they're used I want to do something. Any tips?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to Arcain's comment:

Random question: I have some of those giant Lego-like blocks that I got secondhand a few months ago and have been storing them until DS would be interested. DS is getting really into blocks (just throwing and banging them for now :-)), so I was going to get them out for him, but I want to clean them first. Can this kind of stuff be put in the dishwasher? It doesn't say on the package, but since they're used I want to do something. Any tips?

I wouldn't put them in the dishwasher. Then again, I'm always extra stringent about not putting anything in that I don't know for sure if it's dishwasher safe since I had a nalgene bottle melt in my dishwasher...

For something like that I'd just use a big bucket of hot water and dish soap or maybe a tiny bit of bleach and rinse them really well, then let them air dry. Or you can do this in the tub.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Arcain - I would use the Lysol wipes to clean the blocks. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Summer - we haven't made the switch to the Convertible yet but we are going to in the next few weeks.  DS will be 9 months next week and 19 lbs so he's getting pretty heavy for me to carry.  We are going with the Britax Marathon I believe.

It's been a roung two weeks in my household, last Monday I had an emergency appendectomy which put me out of commission for several days.  Then to add insult to injury we all came down with an awful cold: fever, aches, stuffy nose and cough.  And to make it worse today the doctor confirmed that my cold has turned into a sinus infection.  At least I will now have some meds to help clear it up! And finally, DS had a slight fever this morning, 99.0, which I was hoping was teething related.  I had him go to my mom's house rather than daycare and she just said he's refusing to eat.  Could that also be teething related? At 9 months he still doesn't have any teeth so they've got to be coming!  Just hoping he's not sick AGAIN!