February Infants & Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

February Infants & Toddlers

Happy February! Looks like 6 more weeks trapped inside from the cold :(

Anyone have any superbowl plans? We were hoping to have a party but we haven't received our new couch for our renovated basement, so it looks like a party for 2 for DH and I- queso dip, stuffed mushrooms, chicken wings, and smores brownies :) Yum!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Re: February Infants & Toddlers

Good morning Ladies! Summer - Smore brownies sound delicious! I'm jealous!

I'm having the worst time getting DS to sleep. He'll fall asleep on my shoulder or in my arms but the second I put him in the crib, he wakes up screaming. Settling him in the crib is completely useless. When I pick him up, he falls right back asleep. DH has slightly better luck than I do, but not always. It takes us over an hour to get him to sleep. Last night, he woke up at 3, ate and would not settle down. DH ended up sleeping with him in the recliner for an hour. I usually give up and bring him into our bed, but DH doesn't want him to get used to that. (I don't blame him.) I've tried letting him cry, but now he stands up in his crib and I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself. I don't know what to do. Last night, I got a whopping 3.5 hours of sleep.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Oh chiclet I feel for you.  Here's the trick that worked for me (if I already shared this with you I apologize), when rocking DS I would snuggle us with a small blanket so it got nice and warm.  I used one of those taggie blankets that was probably 18"x 18" so really not big but big enough for his little back.  When I went to put him in his crib once he's asleep I would put that down first, using a fancy one handed hold on DS and one hand to lay the blanket down in his crib and then put him on top of it.  I found that it was the cold sheet that was waking him up more than anything else.  I hope that works for you guys! 

We had a wonderful weekend at home where we did pretty much nothing.  It was great.  And now 2 weeks until we head to Florida for our first ever family vacation.  I can't wait to get to some warm weather!  Headed out today to buy a new bathing suit and rash guard for DS.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to Chiclet831's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good morning Ladies! Summer - Smore brownies sound delicious! I'm jealous!

I'm having the worst time getting DS to sleep. He'll fall asleep on my shoulder or in my arms but the second I put him in the crib, he wakes up screaming. Settling him in the crib is completely useless. When I pick him up, he falls right back asleep. DH has slightly better luck than I do, but not always. It takes us over an hour to get him to sleep. Last night, he woke up at 3, ate and would not settle down. DH ended up sleeping with him in the recliner for an hour. I usually give up and bring him into our bed, but DH doesn't want him to get used to that. (I don't blame him.) I've tried letting him cry, but now he stands up in his crib and I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself. I don't know what to do. Last night, I got a whopping 3.5 hours of sleep.

[/QUOTE]

I learned the hard way that rocking to sleep isn't always the best idea. If DH and I have more kids, I'm pretty sure we'll try not to do it. It's all we did for my DD, and still do. Now that she's older (19 months) she either wakes up when I put her down, or sometimes stays asleep. If she wakes up, I just tell her "shhh" and creep out of the room. Sometimes she cries for a minute or two, sometimes she'll just settle down and go to sleep. It can be really tough, and you may want to consider sleep training (not sure how old your DS is).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Trying to catch up on all the posts.

IPW, Medford, and everyone else who posted about food frustrations – thank you! I always feel better knowing I’m not alone over here. An apple for dinner? A piece of cheese and a cracker, but WHICH cheese and WHICH cracker is an hour-long debate? The whole trying to make a good dinner but having to get the stool for the 3 y.o./deal with cranky baby/stop for potty/stop to argue about everything interference? Check, check, and check. It’s like you’re all watching dinnertime at our house. The stool is the bane of my existence, because now DS (1.5) will toddle into the dining room and pick it up and carry it, this enormous stool, into the kitchen. Yet he cannot stand on in without falling off. We need to get one that can be folded and put away.

Our rule is, if you don’t want what is for dinner, you can have cereal, but only AFTER mommy and daddy are done eating. We try not to get up while the food is on the table unless we’ve forgotten something. It works fairly well. Sometimes if we end up with more than 1 box of cereal it does turn into an epic decision about which cereal, or a combination, is desired, but usually it’s pretty easy. I will say, they both opt for cereal probably 75% of the time. But now they usually at least eat some of the actual dinner first, since they have to wait anyway.

Cwag, I’m interested in the fact that your DD, 17 months, can use markers. My DS will put them in his mouth, or insist on holding them with the marker part in his hand. Did it take a lot of training to get your DD to use them correctly? I’m *dying* to have DS be able to do art projects with his sister because she loves them, and he so desperately wants to do them too, but I can’t trust him for 2 seconds. It will be so unbelievably nice when I can sit them both down with a project, or with play-doh.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Also, I hope everyone's LOs are on the mend with all the sicknesses/ear infections/etc. WPP, I'm so sorry about your DD's rashes. I do hope you can see a different dermatologist. I have no patience at all for dismissiveness when a child's health is in question. I'm always so dismayed to hear about pediatric doctors who behave this way.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to poppy609's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cwag, I’m interested in the fact that your DD, 17 months, can use markers. My DS will put them in his mouth, or insist on holding them with the marker part in his hand. Did it take a lot of training to get your DD to use them correctly? I’m *dying* to have DS be able to do art projects with his sister because she loves them, and he so desperately wants to do them too, but I can’t trust him for 2 seconds. It will be so unbelievably nice when I can sit them both down with a project, or with play-doh.

[/QUOTE]

Seeing you and your DD use them correctly is probably the best way, or helping him learn how to hold them correctly. Plus this is where washable markers are so great :)

My 19 m.o. DD can use markers and crayons effectively, and I'm pretty sure it's just from watching the other kids at daycare use them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Sorry, still catching up - Chiclet, how long has this been an issue? Could there be anything else going on, like a cold coming on, ear infection, teething, etc? Maybe sudden development of separation anxiety? I can't recall how old he is. We went through this with DS at about 14 months. I tried something like what CLC suggested, except would put a rolled up blanket against his back int he crib, so that he would feel a little pressure and warmth on his back. It worked sometimes. Really only time helped. Suddenly, one day, he stopped doing it. Good luck.

ETA:

Summer, thanks. I guess I should just keep letting him try while supervised. The other day he was putting every single tip in his mouth. I think it became a game for him, because he knew I didn't want him to do that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

poppy, I also think it depends on the kids.

DS, even though they did and do lots of crayons/markers at daycare, never showed interest in markers... the only time was when he was into Harold and the Purple Crayon, but even then, that was and still is his weakest area. He has never liked artwork projects that much at school (and if it involves finger paint, forget it - nothing repells him more than wet stuff on his hands). He is now 3.5 - and his teacher has said they are practicing some "writing" and said while the other kids are eager to do it, half of the time, he just hands her the pencil back and says "not now" - and DH and I think it is partially because he is on the perfectionist side and does not want to try at school if he is not sure of it - luckily his teacher accepts his no, and just tries again another day when the other kids practice. I did notice at home, if I put the letters of his name down on a sheet, then he is very interested. But not for any other shapes or letters. So we are not pushing it - when he is ready, he will do it is our thinking for right now.

DD has been watching us and kids at school, and she loves artwork. Stickers are her favorites, but anything that involves paper will get her interest. Sometimes it is just making dots, sometimes it goes into her mouth, sometimes she is into the cap on/cap off and sometimes she will "draw" lines everywhere - but we just let her play with them, and put them away if she sticks into her mouth too much. We only started to let her do markers and crayons when her teachers commented that artwork was her favorite activity - because DS showed such lack of interest at her age. We have some of those Dot-A-Dot tubes and she loves those too. But we have to watch her, and she learns if it goes into her mouth too many times, it is put away.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Thanks for the advice. DS is 9 months. He's had a little bit of separation anxiety with daycare, but it's gotten much worse since the ear infection. I don't think his ear is bothering him any more, but the separation anxiety is still there. The other day he screamed when my MIL picked him up off my lap and I wasn't even leaving the room. If I'm changing his diaper or something and I set him down on the floor while I clean up, he has a complete fit. Now that he can crawl, he scrambles over to me and tries to pull himself up on my pant leg. 

If you don't rock your baby to sleep, what do you do? If I put him in awake, he cries and thrashes around. He's whacked his head on the crib a few times and tries to pull himself up. I just don't know that he'd get to sleep if I just left him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Home with a sick baby today.  Last night was our first time with big boy throw up.  Gross. Poor man seems better today but definitely fighting a cold.   I'm thinking that it was the coughing that make him throw up rather than actually having a stomach bug.  Oh well we shall see how it goes today. 

In preparation for our trip in two weeks we are figuring out items for the plane.  We are going to grab a few new quiet toys to bring out on the plane.  I would also like to download a show or two (I'm thinking Thomas considering that's pretty much the only thing he sits still for) but not sure how to do the headphones.  Has anyone bought headphones for their toddler that they kept on and didn't break?  Or do you just have them watch it without sound?  Any other trips would be greatly appreciated.

Chiclet, I rocked my DS to sleep until he was 10 months old.  After that I would still rock him for a few minutes before putting him down but I would put him down fully awake.  He goes to sleep on his own at daycare so I knew he could put himself to sleep.  It was harder on me rather than him.  He honestly didn't seem phased by it in the least.  Some nights it takes him longer to settle down but he's usually happily playing with his lovies in his crib.  Good luck!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to clc51510's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Home with a sick baby today.  Last night was our first time with big boy throw up.  Gross. Poor man seems better today but definitely fighting a cold.   I'm thinking that it was the coughing that make him throw up rather than actually having a stomach bug.  Oh well we shall see how it goes today. 

In preparation for our trip in two weeks we are figuring out items for the plane.  We are going to grab a few new quiet toys to bring out on the plane.  I would also like to download a show or two (I'm thinking Thomas considering that's pretty much the only thing he sits still for) but not sure how to do the headphones.  Has anyone bought headphones for their toddler that they kept on and didn't break?  Or do you just have them watch it without sound?  Any other trips would be greatly appreciated.

Chiclet, I rocked my DS to sleep until he was 10 months old.  After that I would still rock him for a few minutes before putting him down but I would put him down fully awake.  He goes to sleep on his own at daycare so I knew he could put himself to sleep.  It was harder on me rather than him.  He honestly didn't seem phased by it in the least.  Some nights it takes him longer to settle down but he's usually happily playing with his lovies in his crib.  Good luck!

[/QUOTE]

I feel ya on the big kid throw up...we had that a month or so ago- with my trying to "catch" it before it went everywhere...definitely one of those new-parent-badge worthy moments that you know is coming but still hope to avoid...lol...

I don't know how headphones would work. I know my DD only likes Thomas for the theme song, but if he actually watches it, then no headphones should be fine. I've never take a plane trip with a toddler, but if I did, I'd bring lots of easy to eat snacks, a few quiet toys and a stuffed animal or 2 and definitely paper and crayons. Crayola makes those Color Wonder products where the markers only work on their special paper- might be a good idea in case he tries to color on himself or the airplane seats lol...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

clc-we got DS who did his first long trip at 18 months  the sony child's head phones and he kept them on just fine. The head phones are still in use 4 years later! if he just won't keep them on, I think you could play the video with low sound-the airplane noise will drown it out for most other people-and even though I find that Thomas song annoying-I'm sure fellow passengers would prefer to hear that on low than a screaming kid. But then again, I've had people complain about shuffling a deck of cards-you never know the characters on the plane with you. Funny enough, no one has ever complained about my kid's noise level on a plane-shuffling cards yes!

Chicklet-I've rocked both kids to sleep-CIO just wasn't for our family. At 9 months sepration anxiety is emerging and is tough. At that age I did introduce a lovey to my kids...a stuffed animal for them to hug and soothe with. DD likes a shirt I've worn for a few days...at almost 2.5 she still snuggles up to one at night. My recommendation is to start rocking him with a lovey, wrapping him and the lovey in a blanket so he's nice and warm (I think CLC mentioned this too) and transfer him wrapped in the blanket into the crib. As he gets used to this start talking to him before bedtime and tell him what to expect: "Mommy will rock and sing to you, then Mommy needs to put you in your crib, but Mommy will come back and sing a song if you stay laying down." When you put him down tell him "Mommy will be back in one minute, if you're laying down I'll sing you a song." Then, follow through, if he's crying come back less than a minute and rub his back and talk gently to him and sing a song. Tell him he's doing good and you're proud of him. If he's standing, lay him down and tell him you'll be back and if he's laying down you'll sing him a song. come back 10-30 second later, lather rinse repeat as much as you need. Just letting my kids cry only got them madder, just laying them back down with no interaction pissed them off even more. they needed the comfort. if they got too upset I'd pick them up and hug them and rock them to they relaxed and tried again. if it's horrible for a few nights, I would go back to rocking to sleep and wait a week to see if it works better then. Now I have a 5 year old who will go to sleep on his own without a problem, has since he was 2 (transition to big boy bed took some time for him to get used to)-some nights he's in bed awake until 10-but he does it on his own. and DD at 2.5 is starting to do the same (tansition to big bed has take a little time)-so you are not dooming yourself to a child who cannot learn to sleep on their own. Those bed time snuggles are the absolute best! But the throws of sleep depravation it's so hard!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ctowngirl78. Show Ctowngirl78's posts

I'm a long time lurker but infrequent poster.  I've found reading all of your posts to be so helpful during my pregnancy (and wedding planning for that matter!) and now child rearing that I had to write to see if anyone could offer advice on getting my otherwise healthy and happy 22 month old to sleep later in the morning.  I realize early waking is a common problem for toddlers, but we seem to be in a viscious cycle and have tried just about everything possible with either temporary or little success.  Right now, I am so sleep deprived that I am ready to try anything!  On the whole, my daugther is a great sleeper.  She goes to bed around 7:30 and doesn't make a peep until morning (or her definition of morning!)  We have a simple routine that we do everynight and she easily puts herself to sleep and stays asleep.  She also naps really well during the day, usually around 2 hours from about 1-3pm.  The issue seems to be that she has no real consistent wake up time - it can range from anywhere from 4:45 to 7:15!  It seems that she'll be in a pattern of waking up typically between 6:30-7 for several weeks (did this from Thanksgiving until Christmas and it was bliss) and then will slowly start waking up progressively earlier.  This weekend she was waking up at 4:45.  There is no getting her to go back to sleep once she wakes up.  She screams and cries for me or my husband.  While this is an ongoing pattern (this happened during the summer, and again early in the fall) it seems much harder this time around.  I think because she is that much older and knows what she is doing, and what she wants.  And, the inconsistency of her wake up time is making it hard as well.  If I knew she'd wake up at 4:45 everyday, I'd go to bed much earlier.  As it is, I'm already in bed almost asleep at 9pm.  I work full time so having an hour or so after she goes to bed to unwind is the only time I have to relax.  Now on the days she does sleep a bit later, I find that I'm awake at 4:30 wondering what time she'll wake up and listening for every little sound.  I realize this is something that I need to work on.

We've tried putting her down earlier, also tried later, made sure she has a full stomach before going to bed (she's also a typical picky eater, especially for dinner), have gone in immediately upon her crying in the morning to try to get her to stop crying and see if she would lay back down before totally waking up, letting her cry for a while to CIO and hopefully go back to sleep, have limited her naps to 2 hours (she is generally sound asleep at two hours and is cranky when we wake her), let her sleep for her nap as long as she wants (in the line of sleep begets sleep), made sure the room is a consistent temperature, and got a toddler sleep clock and have tried teacher her when it is ok to call to Mommy and Daddy (when the light turns on - which I am fairly certain she understands).  We've done these all over a period of time so it isn't like we are switching things up everynight.  Sometimes we think things are working and she sleeps til 6, but then the next morning she is up super early again.   I realize there is no magic solution to this, but does anyone have any other tips?  Has anyone else gone through this?  Right now, sleeping until 6 would be a gift!  

Overall, she is a really happy kid.  I sort of think she seems happier when she sleeps later, but to be honest, it may just be that Mommy is happier when she sleeps later!  Her dr says she is getting enough sleep for her age and that it is just a phase.  I understand that, but it is hard to remember at 4:45am! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Chiclet - we did the same thing KAM said with our DD, although maybe when she was around 14 months.  At first we would be going back in 20 times, no joke.  But eventually she came to trust that we'd be back and the times lessened.  After transition to big girl bed / new house, we had to do the same thing again, but only for a short time.  With DS (9 months), I rock him but then try to put him down when he is sleepy but still awake.  He is usually okay at bedtime, but if he does cry we do like KAM said, but again try to put him down awake.  Sometimes in the middle of the night (sick? teeth? gas?) he is screaming and we end up rocking him to sleep.  Sleep deprivation is SO hard on you.  And honestly, with the second child, sometimes he just ends up crying for a few minutes, especially at nap time if it's just me at home.  I don't love it, but I can only do so much if DD has some sort of need at the same time.

I read Ferber (it's NOT all about CIO.  it's really informative.) as well as some sort of No-Cry sleep book, and what I found is that they all have different methods, but they actually agree on the premise that kids will sleep better if you put them down awake, because when they stir in the night they are not surprised.  The analogy in one of them was if you fell asleep in your bed but woke up to find you were on the kitchen floor.

Is he able to sleep when he's in your bed (but not being held)?  Because then maybe it's the separation that's the main problem.  Otherwise, maybe there is something physical bothering him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to Ctowngirl78's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm a long time lurker but infrequent poster.  I've found reading all of your posts to be so helpful during my pregnancy (and wedding planning for that matter!) and now child rearing that I had to write to see if anyone could offer advice on getting my otherwise healthy and happy 22 month old to sleep later in the morning.  I realize early waking is a common problem for toddlers, but we seem to be in a viscious cycle and have tried just about everything possible with either temporary or little success.  Right now, I am so sleep deprived that I am ready to try anything!  On the whole, my daugther is a great sleeper.  She goes to bed around 7:30 and doesn't make a peep until morning (or her definition of morning!)  We have a simple routine that we do everynight and she easily puts herself to sleep and stays asleep.  She also naps really well during the day, usually around 2 hours from about 1-3pm.  The issue seems to be that she has no real consistent wake up time - it can range from anywhere from 4:45 to 7:15!  It seems that she'll be in a pattern of waking up typically between 6:30-7 for several weeks (did this from Thanksgiving until Christmas and it was bliss) and then will slowly start waking up progressively earlier.  This weekend she was waking up at 4:45.  There is no getting her to go back to sleep once she wakes up.  She screams and cries for me or my husband.  While this is an ongoing pattern (this happened during the summer, and again early in the fall) it seems much harder this time around.  I think because she is that much older and knows what she is doing, and what she wants.  And, the inconsistency of her wake up time is making it hard as well.  If I knew she'd wake up at 4:45 everyday, I'd go to bed much earlier.  As it is, I'm already in bed almost asleep at 9pm.  I work full time so having an hour or so after she goes to bed to unwind is the only time I have to relax.  Now on the days she does sleep a bit later, I find that I'm awake at 4:30 wondering what time she'll wake up and listening for every little sound.  I realize this is something that I need to work on.

We've tried putting her down earlier, also tried later, made sure she has a full stomach before going to bed (she's also a typical picky eater, especially for dinner), have gone in immediately upon her crying in the morning to try to get her to stop crying and see if she would lay back down before totally waking up, letting her cry for a while to CIO and hopefully go back to sleep, have limited her naps to 2 hours (she is generally sound asleep at two hours and is cranky when we wake her), let her sleep for her nap as long as she wants (in the line of sleep begets sleep), made sure the room is a consistent temperature, and got a toddler sleep clock and have tried teacher her when it is ok to call to Mommy and Daddy (when the light turns on - which I am fairly certain she understands).  We've done these all over a period of time so it isn't like we are switching things up everynight.  Sometimes we think things are working and she sleeps til 6, but then the next morning she is up super early again.   I realize there is no magic solution to this, but does anyone have any other tips?  Has anyone else gone through this?  Right now, sleeping until 6 would be a gift!  

Overall, she is a really happy kid.  I sort of think she seems happier when she sleeps later, but to be honest, it may just be that Mommy is happier when she sleeps later!  Her dr says she is getting enough sleep for her age and that it is just a phase.  I understand that, but it is hard to remember at 4:45am! 

[/QUOTE]

Do you have a monitor? I have a video monitor with a microphone where I can talk to my DD through it. That way I don't have to go in her room to assure her that I'm at least somewhat near her, everything is OK, and she can go back to sleep. It can also play music into her room (not a function I use but it's an option). If you have the same type of monitor, try it, or if not maybe invest in one. (it's good for keeping an eye and you can always use it for other LOs). I just know that you going into her room is going to reinforce to her that she can cry when she wakes up and you will go in.

Don't get me wrong- I did a wayyy modified version of CIO with my DD, so that's not totally what I'm advocating for, but if you want her to self soothe and rest (if not sleep) later, she has to learn to do it and like learning most things, it might not be easy. Does she have lovies to play with?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ctowngirl78. Show Ctowngirl78's posts

Summer, I knew I was forgetting something else!  It sounds like we have a similar monitor - we can talk to her, see her and play music into her room.  It has been SOOOO helpful, if nothing more than for me to see that she is ok and nothing is wrong.  We actually talked to her this morning and played music.  It sometimes helps her settle down for a few minutes, but doesn't seem to be helping in any large way.  It is better in that she will usually become more upset when we go into the room and then leave.  At least with talking through the monitor, she knows we are there but isn't seeing us.  Thanks so much for the suggestion though! 

The thing is that she does know how to self soothe (I can see her twirling her hair and sucking her fingers on the monitor which is what she does when she's tired and falling asleep) so I'm not sure that is it, but maybe it is.  She falls asleep fine at night and her nap, and from time to time she'll wake up in the middle of her nap and put herself back to sleep.  We've tried getting her attached to something like a lovey, but she just throws stuff out of the crib or ignores them.  She can be pretty stubborn when she is mad!  :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Chiclet - when my DS really began having difficulty letting me leave the room, that's when we got one of those little crib aquariums. It distracted him enough to let me out. Maybe worth a try?

Ctowngirl - the aquarium (see above) also helped DS stay in his crib, content, for longer in the mornings! He can turn it on by himself. Sometimes I hear it come on before 7, but have to go in and wake him at 8! He'll fall back to sleep!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

CTown - we keep a book in the crib with my DS.  Not very often but every now and then he will wake up extra early and generally he will sit and "read" in his crib until we come get him.  As long as he's not crying we will let him stay happily in his crib until 7am on the weekends. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ctowngirl78. Show Ctowngirl78's posts

CLC, thanks!  We also have started (maybe a month ago) putting her favorite Elmo book in her crib.  She'll play with it at night nicely before falling asleep.  We also have a turtle night light that she can turn on herself by her crib that she does turn on at night.  We can see her playing on the monitor some nights and then she'll just roll over and fall asleep.  But in the morning it is just immediate screaming (or at least it seems like it.  Maybe she's actually waking up much earlier and playing with that and a few other small toys we leave in there.)  She just really want out in the morning.  And typically she is a really reasonable kid and we can talk with her and she understands that sometimes she must wait for things.  But in the morning she is just so inconsolable that there is no reasoning.  This morning we heard screaming starting at 5:20.  But, we spoke to her on the monitor and turned on music.  Within 5 minutes she was laying back down and was quiet (maybe asleep) until 6.  So, I'm hoping this is progress!  I hear all these stories of your kids staying in the crib nicely until 7 or 8 and am realizing that 4:45 is really TOO early to get up!  But I keep telling myself, "this too shall pass"!

Thanks so much for all your advice!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Thanks for the sleep advice. Med, you're right. He's out within a few minutes of being in our bed, so I really think it's separation anxiety at this point. I'm sure his ear infection was keeping him up last week, but that's gone now. The doctor said he couldn't even tell which ear it was, so I know he's healed. It's just getting him down that's the problem. Last night, I told him I was going to lay him down and he didn't have to worry. He started crying and trying to sit up, but I just laid him back down and rubbed, well, anything I could reach! Back, belly, feet, arms... He ended up settling down when he grabbed hold of my thumb and fell asleep right after. So maybe he just needs to feel a little skin-to-skin contact rather than a back rub? Who knows?! He's slept straight through the night the last 3 nights though. I just wish bedtime wasn't so stressful for him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Ctown, it really sounds like you've tried everything. Hopefully the method this morning continues to work! 4:45 really is too early (I say even as someone who gets up at that hour for work!). I don't really have advice, just sympathy. Though it's never been that dramatic, my DS has gone through a few periods of early wakeups (more in the 5:30-6 range) and we've never been able to figure them out. 6:30 is always his standard but he's had weeks of 5:30 wakeups and even a few periods of 7 or 7:30. Hopefully this will either be a phase that ends or, as she gets older and more reasonable, you'll be able to set limits without her screaming.

We're having some behavior issues with my nearly 2-yo DS. DH and I are kind of at our wits' end so I'd welcome any input.

First, DS is generally a sweet, happy kid. His most challenging qualities are that he's impatient (don't even mention a snack to him if you aren't prepared to have it IN FRONT OF HIM NOW) and quite territorial about his space, toys, and parents...which brings me to problem #1: Mama Mania.

Like all kids, DS has gone through phases where he's favored DH or me, but for the past month or so it has been Mama, Mama, Mama. He whines and often yells if I run to grab something in another room, if the cat sits on my lap, if I take a phone call, if DH and I talk for too long, sometimes if I even momentarily shift my attention away from him while we're in the same room. It's definitely particular to me. I don't think I hover over him, but DH thinks (and he's probably right) that I do feel needlessly guilty if I'm not focusing on DS every moment I'm with him. I do take care of chores, make phone calls, etc., but it's always "I have to do this and then I'll get back to playing with you." I don't need him to entertain himself for hours, but I would like to go to the bathroom for 10 seconds without it causing a meltdown (even when I allow him to come in with me!). Any advice?

Issue #2 is more general discipline. DS seems to genuinely not know when he's being scolded for something. His language is pretty good (he's using 2-3 word phrases/sentences now), so I don't think the problem is not understanding our words -- particularly since we use very simple phrases when he's misbehaving. As an example: lately he's been a nightmare with diaper changes: kicking us, flailing, turning over. Both DH and I have been very firm telling him not to do it, even (though we're not proud of it) to the point of yelling. He usually just laughs. DH said this morning he had to hold DS's face to make him look at him and tell him very angrily to stop and he finally did. But of course DH felt awful. Perhaps Happiest Toddler on the Block led me to have unrealistic expectations of how discipline works, but I really feel like we're not getting through. Our usual discipline methods are either taking toys away if the bad behavior is associated with a toy or time-outs (after several warnings) if not, and I don't know that he gets those either. It seems more like he just moves on and forgets the bad thing he was doing before. Am I missing something here? I would understand more if he seemed to get it but chose to misbehave anyway, but when he laughs, I think he genuinely believes we're playing a game.

Now I feel like I'm making my kid out to be a nightmare. He's really not -- this probably only happens 5-10% of the time. But some days it feels like a whole lot more!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

arcain, I think you just described the majority of 2 year olds. DD does many of the same things, but the majority of the time she's a sweet as can be. she does have an older brother to play with so the clinginess isn't as bad for us. But she'll do something that needs correcting, we'll correct her and she'll laugh. When trying to change her/dress her she'll stand up and twirl 'tis the age of testing limits! We do short simple phrases constantly with her "we only bite food"/"we only spit in the sink" types of sayings. One saying I've had both kids learn early was "When Mommy says it's time to go:" they repeat "it's time to go!" And at a very early age they totally understand what we are saying-so keep explaining and it does get better. And in part it is a game to them! Life is fun, and a game. At 2.5 this has gotten better wtih DD.

Chiclet-glad there has been a little improvment in sleep.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I agree with KAM...this is the age where you start to test the waters on independence (leading to discipline issues), but also are a little terrified of what that means (hence the stage 5 clinger status).  

Both of my kids (3 and 17 mos) are in mommy-phases lately.  I find that those usually happen - much like sleep problems - when they're on the verge of something big developmentally.  So for DD now it's potty training.  For DS, I can tell his language is just about to start exploding.  Whenever they're about to move into something new, that's when they start being clingy.  

As for discipline:  I can't tell you the best way to do it, but you have to figure out what works for you.  We "take breaks" on the stairs (aka time outs), but only after 2 warnings and witnessing whatever infraction it is...most of them are related to not listening.  I also do the "1, 2, 3" method for getting her to pay attention...and if I get to 3 and she's not listening, then she'll have to take a break.  The key, I think,is to make sure that whatever discipline you do is done calmly...if they see you getting upset or aggravated, it only will rile them up!  (at least that's true with my kids)  It's when I am expressionless and very even keeled that my DD knows I mean business!   I save yelling/raising my voice for when they're doing something that puts them in danger.  

Did anyone see this story on NPR?  Totally how I've been feeling lately:  http://www.npr.org/2014/02/04/271416048/are-we-having-fun-yet-new-book-explores-the-paradox-of-parenting

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

luv-that article made me wonder-do I let me kids have enough independent play? During the week I expect them to play indepently from me for 30-45 min-enough time for me to cook/clean up. Weekends I try longer stretches, but DD is at the age when she likes the interactive play-"Look Mommy, I made you some pizza eat it NOW." And lots of reading books. thing is I really enjoy just playing with the kids.

How much independent play do your kids get?