Finally Potty Training

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Re: Finally Potty Training

I think it depends on the kid for overnight.  I know my DD has been doing VERY well with potty training from early in the process but she is nowhere near being physically ready to make it a whole night without going (or to wake up and get up and go when she needs to go).  I'm not even going to attempt until I start to see some dry morning diapers.  She's doing well making it through naps but I think overnight is a whole other story. 

Have other people done this completely with older kids and have a timeline for when kids typically start to be old enough/physically mature enough to wake up and go when they need to go?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I'd hold off on nighttime until you notice some dry pullups in the morning.  My DD is 2 1/2 and I've been noticing that 9x out of 10 she's dry after nap.  I'm still putting the pullup on just because I don't want to deal with the mess on day 10 when she is wet. But she's always wet in the morning.
    I have had her wake up at 2 or 3am and yell from her room "want to sit on the potty.' Her pull up is usually wet, but she also goes when I take her.
    I'm just assuming nighttime dryness is something that just starts to happen - not something you try and train for.
    Great job on the daytime potty training!!!  Gold stars to mommy!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Gold stars to Grammy really.  As a mom that works full time I really am just holding the course on weekends not doing the bulk of the work.   ;-)  As with the few other things I stressed about, this went so much smoother than I anticipated.

I do ask if she has to go more often during the day but she is extremely adamant about not being ready.  To actually get her onto the toilet when she didn't want to go, it would involve crying and having to be carried.  I'm nervous to force the issue while she is not having any accidents since I don't want it to become a control issue on her part.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Assuming a developmentally regular kid, I'd aim for 2 to 2 1/2 rather than the 18 to 19 months--almost everyone I know who did that had a halfway trained kid for six or eight months.  They understand the idea but they don't usually have enough awareness, control, communication skills or coordination to go themselves consistently.  It ends up with Mom being trained to put them on the pot every so often whether they need to go or not, or following them around asking them if they have to go every ten minutes, or the kid going around with a bare behind sitting on the pot at random during the day.

Even then if you're training they'll need some reminders every so often (especially before you get in the car) but it shouldn't have to be Mommy ringing the potty bell every hour.

Also, it's easier to get them used to using a real toilet if you get the potty seat that snaps on the toilet, or the ones that sandwich between the seat and lid, and flip up and down.  If all they've ever used is the bucket on the floor type, they're going to have more problems using the real toilets at the store, etc.

As for pullups--once they've got the hang of it, a pull-up over the undies on the rare occasion you may be out for a long time and risk an accident (long car trip, airplane) or for naps and overnights if they're not always dry or you aren't in your own bed (hotel, Grandma's).  If it's only once in a while and it's clear it's "just in case" then they will understand it's not permission to skip the toilet. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

As for the piddle pads--those blue-backed disposable hospital things are great, no idea what they are called but a neighbor who was taking care of an ill relative gave me a couple and they worked well as accident pads and disposable changing mats.  Kind of expensive for everyday but good for travel.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I think the ones you use for training puppies would work in the car seat too!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

They would be absorbant, but beware, if you have a dog, too, who is allowed in the car.  The puppy pads are treated with scents that give them the idea it's OK to pee there!

Sections
Shortcuts