Finger foods and spoon feeding trouble

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Finger foods and spoon feeding trouble

So my 11 month old DD is eating finger foods quite well.  She especially likes American cheese and fruit.
    My DS takes a few Cheerios and sometimes eats some Gerber puffs.  The trouble is, he's gotten really picky about letting me spoon feed him.  Keeps taking the spoon away (we went through about 12 spoons this morning - he'd take it from me and then throw it on the floor).  He's eating much less than he used to.
    They are both still drinking about 28 ounces a day of formula.
    Is this a phase that I shouldn't worry about?  I'm sure he'll start eating more finger foods eventually, but in the mean time, any suggestions?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from happy2bpg. Show happy2bpg's posts

Re: Finger foods and spoon feeding trouble

I don't have anything super helpful and I am sure you've already this but....DD sometimes does the same thing.  She'll grab for the spoon when I am trying to feed her.  I have tried giving her a spoon that she can hold.  I've managed to sneak in a spoonful and then she "feeds" herself with her empty spoons.  We swap back and forth for a while until she gets tired of it and will usually just let me feed her.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We went through the same thing with our daughter -- she wanted to eat like we do, with a fork and a spoon. We have yet to solve the spoon problem -- no way am I handing her a spoonful of yogurt -- but we started giving her a fork to work with. At around 11 or 12 months we were spearing food on the fork and handing it to her, bite by bite. By 16 months we were able to just plunk a plate in front of her and hand her a fork and she does her thing.

We went through a lot of trouble to get food into her because she's very thin, but if your fella is holding his own with formula I'd just move at the pace he sets.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Just ditch the spoon altogether.  As soon as DS was starting to pick up food on his own and really chew, we got rid of all mashed/pureed foods. That was around 10-11 months.  Give him lots of different things to choose from and some will eventually make it into his mouth.  At 28oz a day, don't worry, he's getting plenty of calories and nutrients.  You may want to cut down a bit to increase his hunger and interest in feeding himself.

The current favs are whole wheat macaroni, peas & carrots (I found a great organic frozen option where the carrots are these perfect tiny bits and coked very soft), grilled chicken, feta cheese and olives.  ANd one of his first finger foods was sour pickles, and still a fav.

As for the yogurt, I put it in a sippy cup with a straw or just poke a hole in the top of the foil and DS goes to work.  He LOVES yogurt.

He used to get frustrated trying to feed himself with the spoon when he was 10-11 months so we just stopped using it.  He's gotten much better (almost 14 months) and now we give him a plastic fork which is easier to spear food with.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Can yogurt be sucked through a straw? I never thought of that. That could solve some of our problems.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

I either use plain/vanilla yogurt or some flavor that doesn't have a whole lot of fruit chunks - Wallaby organic are our favorites but I usually dilute them with plain yogurt as they have sugar in them.  Shake it a bit to loosen it up and poke a straw through.  I have a ton of McDonald's straws laying around (love that iced coffee!) and they happen to be a bit larger than the standard.  I usually cut it to 2/3 length so he doesn't poke the straw up his nose.  Sometimes I have to hold the cup for him and sometimes he'll do it on his own.  He does like to pull the straw out so I have to watch out for flying yogurt on occation.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

My kids stopped accepting anything being spoonfed to them shortly after getting the hang of finger foods.  DD won't even let us put food in her mouth--she has to take it in her hand and put it in her own mouth.  We just don't even try anymore.  Well, that's not entirely true.  We recently took them out for ice cream for the first time and they let us spoon feed them that after they realized 1.) we were NOT giving them the spoon and 2.) the only way they were getting more was if we fed it to them.  So, with the exception of ice cream, we don't bother with spoons.

I love the idea of yogurt through a straw.

Have you tried small cheese cubes?  We cut up monterey jack and colby jack (both very mild) and occasionally some white cheddar.  If DD likes American cheese, she might like to try some other kinds too.

Our kids love fruit too and they have several servings a day.  We find ourselves wandering around the produce section looking for things they haven't tried (and sometimes, things WE'VE never had either!) and giving it to them to see what happens.  Our recent discovery is that we all love brussels sprouts--DH and I had never had them until about a month ago but we tried them b/c we bought them for the kids.  (here's a good recipe, too:  http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/goldencrusted-brussels-sprouts-recipe.html )  My kids also love all types of beans.  They're great b/c they're packed with nutrition, baby-bite-size, and easy to chew w/o many teeth.  We just slop some vegetarian chili on their trays and let them eat it with their fingers (usually wearing nothing but diapers and immediately followed by a bath).  Have you tried cut-up grape or cherry tomatoes?  Pieces of veggie burgers?  SmartDogs?  Someone else suggested pasta.  Mac and cheese from a box (with hot dogs or smart dogs and tomatoes cut up and mixed in)?  I fully-admit that these things aren't all 100% top-of-the-line nutrition, but they're not too terrible either.  Waffles and pancakes (with jarred baby food fruit spread on them instead of syrup or jelly) and French toast have all been big hits in our house.  EGGS.  My kids LOVE scrambled eggs.  They had 3 between the two of them for dinner tonight.  My kids love peanut butter on toast or waffles too.

We tried fish sticks recently too and they weren't an instant hit, but they ate them and seemed ok with them.  DS does not like chicken (yay! said his vegetarian mommy; boo! said his meat-eating daddy) but DD is ok with it.  We haven't given them any red meat, but they were interested in ground turkey when we gave them that.  Ooh!  How about chop suey (macaroni, ground beef/turkey, tomatoes)?

I think you just need to keep trying with the finger food and not worry about spoon-feeding.  Kids will eat when they're hungry.  In the meantime, just keep offering lots of different things and keep offering things they aren't interested in periodically too.

I'd say to just keep offering them anything you're eating and see what happens.  They'll figure out what they like as they try more things.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Sometimes when a little one approaching a year who has been eating well suddenly only wants formula, it is teeth that are taking 6 weeks to 10 weeks to pop through.

The bottle feeding rubber agaist the mouth  is soothing.  The chewing part on little teeth and part on tender gums, not.  When teeth poke through they start accepting more solid food again.

Some kids teething is no big deal. Others, really have a tender jaw and mouth for a while.
    So it may be unrelated to anything you are doing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

We bought babyhuman spoons, put a towel under the high chair and let her go nuts with it.  It worked well and she started spoon feeding herself.  We also gave her more finger foods, but she loved being able to do it herself.  http://www.lullabylane.com/Catalog/SearchResultsView.aspx?SearchTerm=HP01-10479

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

DD had been on table foods since about 8 months but around 10 months she got very finicky and much more independent and would not let me spoon feed her.  I had to come up with foods that she could feed herself. 

On top of that she started to revert to only wanting to have a bottle and no food.  She would drink a huge amount of formula (my fault I thought since she didn't want to eat food at least let her drink a lot) and would fill up on formula.  I ended up having to cut back on formula, only letting her have a small amount, then move to the finger foods, after she ate a decent amount I would let her have her bottle back.

I recently asked the Dr about her eating habits and she said that it was very normal around 1 that babies start to get very picky.  Here are some foods that I have had good luck with:

Cheese, pealed apples/pears (DD likes to eat apples like an adult), Low sodium deli turkey and ham meat, sliced blueberries and grapes, watermelon, whole wheat mac & cheese, sliced carrots, peas, corn, and grilled cheese.

Good luck!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We love brussel sprouts too. We're going to try artichokes tonight. I think our daughter will be really into them (after we take off the pointy parts, of course). She loves green vegetables.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from happy2bpg. Show happy2bpg's posts

I don't really have anything else to add that hasn't already been mentioned but I do have to say that I love these food posts because Daisy (and everyone else too) always has a great list of suggestions for finger foods.   DD is 9 months and loving finger foods so I have been trying all sorts of things that Daisy has mentioned in previous posts.  Things that have worked well -- we buy frozen turkey meatballs and those were a hit, as were black beans and white kidney beans (canned, well rinsed).  Grape tomatoes are also a huge hit.  Bits of bagel or a sandwhich thin (Peperidge Farm makes them and I think Arnold does too) with hummus or cheese spread on it. We use the Laughing Cow cheese to spread.  I find the shredded cheese is a bit messy and not as easy for her pick up.  My mom has been giving her the samdwhich thin with melted cheese (few seconds in the micro) and she loves that.  She loves all fruit -- the cantelope are good when they are ripe because they are pretty mushy.  We also do a lot of canned pears and peaches, also very mushy (esp the pears).  We also do frozen veggies (mostly green beans) and just throw them in the micro for a minute or two.   Not as much luck with pasta, but we're going to keep trying.  Same with chicken -- we gave it for the first time last night and she wasn't a huge fan.  Any recommendations for ways to cook that to make it more interesting yet still easy to feed/eat?   Sarah, where'd you find the frozen carrots and peas and what brand?   I want to start those and that sounds perfect!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I didn't get to read through, so I apologize if repeating anything.  Yobaby works great with a straw - you can shake it up and it thins out, then poke the straw in. 
    As for finger foods, there were things he just wouldn't eat with his fingers.  My son mastered the fork long before the spoon (still can't quite use the spoon) - he LOVES jabbing his food with the fork.  Maybe making a game out of it for your DS to show him that it can be "fun?"  I noticed that for DS, it was a texture/consistency thing.  There are things he will gladly eat with a fork that he refuses to eat with his fingers - really juicy fruit, pasta, pizza - for example. Maybe try holding a fork and giving him a fork and guiding him through it - he may eat more that way than with just his fingers. 
    For Peas and Carrots - we just use the frozen store brand - everything is the perfect pre-cut size.  Other finger foods that worked for us: toasted whole wheat bread/bagels/eng muffins with melted cheese.  Mini waffles/pancakes.  Cooked green beans.  Crackers with avocado spread.  Baby Mum Mums were a big hit and very easy to self-feed - I think they helped him figure out how to bite into things.  Cubed chicken, turkey, ham, burger.  Cut up, de-skinned organic turkey dogs.  
    Good luck! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

The other thing we discovered was that DS really loves all sorts of different things.  I had some medium salsa out durring a get together and it took me a few minutes to realize that he was going over to the container and taking fistfuls out and stuffing it in his mouth.  I thought the salsa was a bit on the hot side even for me but he loved it.  And the stinkier and stronger the cheese, the better - he loves 2 year aged cheddar.

So experiment with everything and spice it up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Our daughter also loves stinky cheese. She parked herself in front of the cheese dude at Whole Foods and was shoveling the goat cheese gouda into her maw, and it was visibly green and really stanky.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Lemon - slightly off topic but I am recalling your diaper pail post...I have a feeling the stinky cheese is coming back to get you.  :-)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Funny you should mention -- we've had a drastic reduction in stink in the past week. All my daughter wants to eat is blueberries. She's been tearing through a pint a day. She loves them so much she hugs them before eating them. Her output is BLUE and smells like old fruit. It really serves to remind one of just how ... I don't know, SHORT, I guess... the baby digestive tract is. Like whatever you put in one end comes out the other end looking almost the same but nastier.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

LOL!  I love that she hugs them.  My mother says, "I don't drink, I don't smoke, I buy blueberries!"  She buys them all year long no matter how much they cost.  I doubt she would hug them though.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

It's difficult to hug a blueberry, because they are very small. It requires some drastic modifications to the traditional hugging procedure.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

The frozen organic brand is Columbian River Organics.  Whole Foods has been promoting them and we love the peas & carrots and the peas, carrots and corn.  I just have one DS so I can pop a bag in the micro and they are nice and tender and soooo yummy.  I have to stop myself from eating them.

I didn't like the frozen broccoli or squash as much, though.

http://bybeefoods.com/distribution/columbia-river-organics.html

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Try the "kefir" type drinkable yogurts--they usually have less sugar than your average yogurt or kiddie yogurt drink.  Lifeway brand is tasty, except for the cherry flavor.  You could even mix a fruit flavor with some of the plain or a bit of milk if it's too sweet for you.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Thanks everyone.  I managed to get him to eat a jar of Sweet potatoes today.  I'll just have to try more finger foods and see if he'll eat them.
    I'm a little afraid of cubed chicken or turkey - can they chew that?  Should I try bits of cooked hamburger?  I ask because he's always liked the Gerber pureed meats - (which I used to feed to my cat before I had children ).
    I'll just keep putting the cooked veggies and cut up fruit down on the tray - I assume eventually he'll eat some of it.
    BTW - I never give a bottle until after the feeding so I can avoid the "liquid fill up" - the nurse at the pedi actually said to hide the bottles so they don't even see them.
    DD loves all sorts of cheese - swiss, mozzarella, you name it.  We call her Miss Mouse.  She'll eat almost anything I put on her tray - or at least she'll try it.  He's just the opposite.  Today he even sucked on some Gerber puffs and then spit them out once they were all soggy and flavorless.
    BTW - how do I get them to drink from a straw? I'd love to give them the Yobaby drinkable because they loved yogurt until they decided to hate spoons - but I haven't given them a straw yet - any tricks to it?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I started the straw with DD by holding one finger over the end, to keep the liquid in (started with water- not too messy) then putting the other end in her mouth. I would let go slowly with my finger. At first she would sometimes get too much, and cough or just let it dribble out of her mouth. After a few days, she would s*ck on the straw unprompted. When we put the straw in a cup of water, she at first would get to much, and she still tilts the cup up when she is nearing the end (like a bottle or sippy cup). when that happens, I usually try and guide her to hold the cup correctly to get the liquid.
    Getting her used to a straw has been great for when we are out and about. If you have forgotten the sippy cup, when they can drink from a straw it saves a lot of grief. I still don't trust her with juice boxes directly, though. She loves to squeeze them to make the juice go everywhere.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

MissLilly - GO FOR IT.  I kept freaking that my son was going to choke on things and was mistakeing gaging for choking.  I finally had to let him gag so he would learn.  Chicken and turkey are great, just cut it into little bits or even tear up the pieices.  They can eat pretty much anything by 11-12 months.  I know some say to hold off on meats until 12 months but DS had been trying everything since around 9 months (in small bits).

As for the straw thing, they just have to figure it out.  I would keep the straw short so when they sock sucessfully, they get rewarded.  And start the yogurt out so its at the top of the straw and ready to come out.  I would show DS how to sock by doing it myself, saying "mm mm" and then handing it to him.  I probably took 5-10 tries before he was an expert.  Now he socks down an entire container in less than 60 seconds. 

We started with some really tastey, full fat, full sugar (so kill me) yogurt so he would be extra enticed to keep trying on the straw.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

If you're scared about his ability to nub meat, you can start with soup meat. Nice and soft and yummy.