flying with infants - questions!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Re: flying with infants - questions!

Actually, you can fly with a lap infant internationally, not for free, but for much less than the cost of an additional seat.  We're paying about $100 to have DD sit on our laps. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

I flew to FLA with DD when she was about 6 weeks old.  I was with my sister and did not buy an extra seat, but I did ask when we checked in if there were any extra seats they accommodated us and moved our seats to a row that had an empty one.  We were able to bring the bucket seat on. with that said, my bucket did not fit in the seat so there was no way we could strap it in comfortably without taking up part of the seat next to it.  We have a GRACO Safe Seat I think it is called.  It holds up to 32 lbs.  The way home, we did not ask for the extra seat and just held onto her. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

Moms are allowed to bring pretty much any liquids through.  I just traveled with my 3 year old and brought a sippy cup filled with diluited orange juice and no one cared at all.  Children are allowed to have any food (applesauce, etc) or drink through security. I usually bring a water bottle for myself too since I can!!  Its a great perk.

I also always gate check the stroller and use beforehand will use the stroller to help store my carryon as I drive the stroller and carry her carseat through the terminals.  I now buy her a seat because I have to, and only bring the carseat on if I think she'll nap (its easier for her).  Otherwise, I discovered its very hard to have a toddler sit in a carseat for 4 hours straight.  Its much better for them to have the entire roomy seat to themselves where they can hop down and stand while coloring a picture on the seat, etc. 

Another trick I have: you can call and request the bulk head seats.  They'll give them to you as long as someone with a disability doesn't need them.  Also, if its just you and hubby, book aisle/window because the middle seat between you will be one of the LAST booked.  If its booked, either ask the person if they don't mind moving to another middle seat so your family can spread out, or simply move over a seat and give them the window or aisle- they'll prefer it anyway!

Big note: carseats always must be placed next to a window.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Bumping this thread so I don't have to do another search to read the rest of it...

Quick question while I'm at it.  Has anyone had bad luck with gate checking items?  I'm not planning to buy covers for the infant seat or snap n go, but I am a little worried they could get destroyed under the plane.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

my snap and go and carseat survived several trips (on smaller planes and to Canada)  Neither were bagged

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

In Response to Re: flying with infants - questions!:
    [QUOTE]Bumping this thread so I don't have to do another search to read the rest of it... Quick question while I'm at it.  Has anyone had bad luck with gate checking items?  I'm not planning to buy covers for the infant seat or snap n go, but I am a little worried they could get destroyed under the plane.
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

I did.  Thankfully we did have the gate check bags because when we got the snap and go at heathrow the bottom of the bag looked like it was in a fire.  No joke.  Another tip: you can put other stuff in with the snap and go in the bag.  My DH had this idea and it worked!  We took a whole huge bag of diapers and tucked it in with the snap and go.  Hmmm... maybe they were mad and that's why they tore up the bag?  Who knows..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

I would use a bag.  Stuff gets wet when left on the runway in any sort of bad (or humid) weather and I've heard stories of miserable babies in wet car seats.  If its just a snap n go, you can probably get away with a luggage strap to keep the whole mess together but if its a nice stroller/car seat - why risk it!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

I didn't use a bag when I traveled to Atlanta and I wish I did for my umbrella stroller (the cup handle fell off and one of the foam stoppers they use for the top of the handles fell off as well).  I believe I was told that having a bag is good because if the stroller is damaged you can claim it vs. if it is unbagged.  I believe the handlers are so rough that it will be hit or miss if you have any damage.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

We have a cheapie umbrella stroller from BRU that we use for travel.  I don't bother with a cover for it since we'll just replace it if it gets damaged beyond repair.  I've never had any problems with it unbagged.

On the other hand, I highly recommend a car seat bag if you plan to gate check it.  Our bag is super b@nged up and we've only flown with it a few times.  Every time we retrieve it from the gate check people, it's always wet.  I think it has to do with the extreme cold/altitude and then condensation as you reach regular temps again.  Even with the bag, the seat itself is sometimes a bit damp from the temp change, but not wet like the bag itself.  The cargo area of planes it DIRTY...I would not want my car seat exposed to that.  I don't worry as much about the umbrella stroller since it's folded up and not quite as exposed to the dirt and debris.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thought I would follow up...
    We bought a red bag for the infant seat at BRU.  On the very first flight, the bag was completely ripped open.  Oh well!  I figured it was worth a try.  It was $15 or $20.  We did continue to use it and the car seat didn't get dirty.

The snap n go also got torn in the netting and on our way home the cup holders disappeared.  TIP: Remove any removable pieces!